Since a humidifier increases moisture in the dry air around you, its use improves sleep and reduces the symptoms associated with dryness in the sinuses, nasal passages, and throat, which results in inflammation and swelling of the tissues.
Running a clean humidifier while sleeping is quite useful and safe because it moisturizes the skin, mouth, and throat. However, it is critical to keep humidity levels in the air below 30 percent.
Humidifiers require cleaning at least one time a week. Additionally, you must empty, rinse, and dry the base and tank daily.
What are the benefits of using a humidifier during sleep?
A humidifier increases moisture in the air, which keeps the nasal passage and throat from drying out. It improves breathing and creates a comfortable atmosphere, which helps people sleep better at night.
A humidifier prevents and reduces the intensity of the following conditions:
5 types of humidifiers
Several varieties of humidifiers are available in the market. They come in different sizes. You can choose one according to your needs.
- Steam vaporizers
- Steam vaporizers are portable and the cheapest humidifiers that are easily available in stores.
- These release moist vapor into the air by boiling water.
- If handled improperly, steam vaporizers may cause serious burns, so keep these away from children.
- They are a single-unit system that uses fans to run the device. The fan blows air through a moistened filter, which discharges humidity into the air.
- These are less expensive than other humidifiers, but they only function in one room at a time.
- They can be troublesome because they discharge an excessive amount of moisture into the air.
- Excessive humidity can promote mold development and increase dust mite issues, which can worsen allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Impeller humidifiers
- Impeller humidifiers have high-speed rotating discs that eject moisture into the air in the form of cool mist.
- These are economical and considered children-friendly because they emit cool mist and do not produce burns.
- Like evaporators, overuse of impeller humidifiers may cause asthma and allergy symptoms.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers
- Ultrasonic humidifiers produce mist with the use of ultrasonic vibrations. These humidifiers can produce both cool and warm mist.
- Using a cool-mist, an ultrasonic humidifier is a good option if you have children around.
- Central humidifiers
- A central humidifier can be integrated into the central heating or cooling systems at homes. This helps maintain humidity levels throughout your home and is the most economical option.
Other things to know about humidifiers
- The use of a humidifier has several benefits, but it is important to keep it clean. Air from dirty humidifiers gets contaminated with microorganisms and breathing such air increases the risk of infections.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests that humidity levels should be maintained between 30 and 50 percent within the home. Anything beyond that increases moisture in the air and makes it hard to breathe. Air with high moisture levels increases the thriving capacity of allergens, such as dust mites, molds, and germs, leading to allergies and asthma attacks.
- Always use clean filtered water or distilled water in the humidifier. If hard water is used, the minerals in the water deposit in the filter and damages the humidifier.
- You should always track humidity levels and clean all the filters in the humidifier regularly and change filters if needed.
Sleep.org. Best Humidifiers. https://www.sleep.org/best-humidifiers/
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Humidifiers for Respiratory Infections: Are They Helpful or Harmful? https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/family-resources-education/700childrens/2018/01/humidifiers-for-respiratory-infections-are-they-helpful-or-harmful
Reid Health. The benefits of a humidifier as cold arrives. https://www.reidhealth.org/blog/the-benefits-of-a-humidifier-as-cold-arrives
Top Is It Good to Sleep With a Humidifier Related Articles
Bed Basics and SleepSleep. It seems like the easiest thing in the world. Until it's not. See tips on how to get your best sleep. Our gallery shows you how to get plenty of it.
Is It Good to Sleep With Music On?You can take your mind off of your everyday thoughts and stresses by playing music. Music is a great option to help improve your sleep.
Is Valerian Root Similar to Xanax and Valium?Valerian root is one of the most popular alternatives to sleep medications. While valerian is a herb, Xanax and Valium are considered benzodiazepines (benzos).
Sleep DisordersA number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep needs vary from individual to individual and change throughout your life. The National Institutes of Health recommend about 7-9 hours of sleep each night for older, school-aged children, teens, and most average adults; 10-12 for preschool-aged children; and 16-18 hours for newborns. There are two stages of sleep: 1) REM sleep (rapid-eye movement), and 2) NREM sleep (non-rapid-eye movement).
Sleep ApneaSleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea, obstructive apnea (OSA), and a mixture of central and obstructive apnea. Central sleep apnea is caused by a failure of the brain to activate the muscles of breathing during sleep. OSA is caused by the collapse of the airway during sleep. OSA is diagnosed and evaluated through patient history, physical examination and polysomnography. There are many complications related to obstructive sleep apnea. Treatments are surgical and non-surgical.
Sleep Cycle: What Happens When You Sleep?Sleep is a mystery to many of us, but scientists know quite a bit about how it affects us. Here's what happens to your body when you fall asleep.
Sleep Disorders: Causes of NightmaresEveryone has nightmares from time to time. But could your habits make you more likely to have them?
Sleep QuizTake our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep? Find out which medical treatments fight sleep deprivation, apnea, insomnia, and more!
Sleep Related Breathing DisordersSleep-related breathing disorders are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep. Snoring and sleep apnea are the most common sleep-related breathing disorders.
Sleep: The Best and Healthiest Sleeping Positions for Your HealthWhat is the best and healthiest sleeping position? Learn ways to say good night to back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, and airway obstructions like sleep apnea. You may sleep on your side, stomach, or back. What does your sleep position have to do with chronic pain? Find out how to sleep for a more restful and comfortable night.
What Are Humidifiers Good For?Humidifiers are a part of many households during the winter or flu season when the air is dry. It’s recommended to keep the humidity between 30 and 50% to create a well-balanced environment. Humidity above 60% may invite fungal infections in the house. There are many different versions of humidifiers, but they all add moisture to the air.
What Is the Best Music to Listen to When Sleeping?As per studies, slow music or classical music is more relaxing that can help you sleep. Classical music or instrumental music can help slow the pulse and decrease levels of stress hormones. Relaxing music triggers changes to the body and, in many ways, mimics a sleepy state.
What Is the Best Natural Sleep Aid?If you have sleeping issues, below mentioned sleep aids may help. Simple changes in your daily habits can often help induce sleep quickly.
Which Air Filter Is the Best for Home?The use of air purifiers is on the rise because of concerns about the deteriorating quality of air. Air purifiers contain air filters, which can vary among different types of air purifiers. An air purifier cleans the air of the suspended particles that may be harmful to your health.
Which Is Better: A Warm or Cool Mist Humidifier?The easiest way to figure out which humidifier works best for an individual is by simply knowing which type of air is easier for them to breathe. If you inhale well in a sauna, then a warm mist humidifier might be the best. If you have allergies or asthma, you might benefit more from a cool-mist humidifier.