Aloe vera juice is rich in nutrients, and drinking it every day comes with several health benefits. It is, however, best to start with a small shot of juice and increase the frequency and amount of juice gradually.
The gel obtained from fresh aloe vera has many therapeutic effects and can be used for the following: skin treatment and burn, surgical wound healing, diabetes control, treat peptic ulcers, prevent cancer spread, ulcerative colitis, and alopecia, and skin moisturizer.
Children and pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid its consumption.
8 health benefits of drinking aloe vera juice
Here are 8 benefits of drinking aloe vera juice every day.
- Relieves heartburn: A recent study has shown that consuming aloe vera juice every day can significantly reduce heartburn symptoms without causing discomfort.
- Treats constipation: Several compounds present in aloe vera act as laxatives. People with constipation have shown considerable improvement in bowel movements with daily consumption of aloe vera juice.
- May improve IBS symptoms: IBS or irritable bowel syndrome refers to inflammation of the intestine, which can cause pain and discomfort. Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory properties that may alleviate this inflammation, and a study has reported drinking aloe vera juice daily may lead to a marked improvement in IBS symptoms. However, more evidence is required to prove the efficacy of aloe vera juice against IBS.
- Acts as an antioxidant: Aloe vera juice has antioxidant properties that help destroy free radicals, which are responsible for inducing oxidative stress in your body, leading to early aging and various chronic conditions. Hence, aloe vera juice may prevent the risk of chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, or even cancer.
- Improves nerve and muscle function: Aloe vera is rich in magnesium, which is a vital nutrient for nerve and muscle function. Magnesium helps with more than 300 enzyme reactions and regulates heart rhythm and blood pressure.
- Promotes clear skin: Aloe vera reduces the severity and frequency of acne and improves certain skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema.
- Regulates blood sugar levels: Early research suggests that aloe vera juice may help lower blood sugar levels in people with type II diabetes. However, people with existing diabetes should consult their physician before taking aloe vera juice as a dietary supplement. Aloe vera juice may drastically lower blood sugar levels when taken with diabetes medications.
- Eye health: Beta-carotene present in aloe vera is an antioxidant that is beneficial for eye health, including the retina or cornea.
Are there side effects of drinking aloe vera juice every day?
Excessive consumption of aloe vera juice may cause some side effects including:
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Digestive tract irritation
- Abdominal cramps
How much aloe vera juice should you drink daily?
Limiting aloe vera juice to 30 mL 3 times a day can provide health benefits and minimize the potential side effects.
You can drink aloe vera juice on an empty stomach or with meals. If you find it difficult to drink unsweetened aloe vera juice, you can mix it with fruit juice or dilute it with water.
Who shouldn’t drink aloe vera juice?
You should avoid aloe vera juice if you have the following:
- Allergy to aloe vera
- Heart diseases
- Acute hepatitis (liver swelling)
- Kidney problems
- Electrolyte imbalances
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid taking aloe vera juice, although there is no scientific evidence to prove the same.
Talk to your doctor before starting any kind of diet plan or supplement regimen.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Is It Good to Drink Aloe Vera Juice Every Day Related Articles
Boost Digestive HealthUpset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition tips on how to deal with with diarrhea, gas, reflux, and more digestive ailments.
ConstipationConstipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week. Constipation usually is caused by the slow movement of stool through the colon. There are many causes of constipation including medications, poor bowel habits, low-fiber diets, laxative abuse, and hormonal disorders, and diseases primarily of other parts of the body that also affect the colon.
Constipation: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid QuizTake this quiz to find out what foods to eat, and what foods to avoid to prevent or relieve constipation.
How Much Prune Juice Should I Drink to Poop?Digestive problems are one of the common health complaints. Constipation is the most common digestive problem in the United States. It is defined as the occurrence of three or fewer bowel movements that are difficult to pass in a week. The stools in constipation are dry, lumpy, and hard.
IBS SlideshowWhat is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing IBS through diet and with IBS medications.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating, increased gas (flatulence), abdominal cramping, diarrhea, constipation, and food intolerance.Two new tests are now available that may help diagnose irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea and constipation (IBS-M) irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D), and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). Treatment for IBS includes diet changes, medications, and other lifestyle changes to manage symptoms.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) QuizWhat are symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Take this quiz and get quick facts on causes and treatment options for this common and uncomfortable digestive disorder.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
All About AntioxidantsThey're sometimes seen as a kind of magic bullet for our health problems. Find out more about what antioxidants can do for your health.
What Are the Benefits of Aloe Vera? 8 BenefitsAloe vera is a cactus-like plant that grows in hot and dry climates. It is farmed in the subtropical areas, including the southern border areas of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Aloe vera is used in skin treatment, surgical wound healing, treatment of peptic ulcers, to improve oral health and other conditions.
What Are the Benefits of Drinking Cranberry Juice?Cranberries, also called American cranberries or bearberries, are the fruits of the evergreen cranberry shrub. The cranberry plant (scientific name: Vaccinium macrocarpon) is a small creeping or trailing plant that belongs to the Ericaceae family.
What Foods Have the Highest Antioxidants?What are antioxidants? Learn the potential benefits and which foods have the highest antioxidants.