Ionized water is a commercially available form of alkaline water (water with a high pH value), which is believed to offer several health benefits, such as improved bone health, slowing down the aging process, improved gastrointestinal health, and decreased risk of cancer and heart disease. However, there is very little research to support these claims or if the benefits are maintained in the long run.
The pH is a measurement of the acid-base balance of water on a scale of 0 to 14. The normal pH of natural water ranges between six and a half to eight and a half and is controlled by the carbon dioxide-bicarbonate-carbonate equilibrium system. An increase in the amount of dissolved carbon dioxide reduces the pH of water, creating acidic water. However, a decreased amount of carbon dioxide increases the pH of water, generating alkaline water.
There are various methods identified to increase the alkaline properties of water by using special filters, faucet attachments, and additives that raise the pH levels, making normal tap water go from neutral pH to alkaline.
What are the health benefits of ionized water?
Possible health benefits of alkaline ionized water include:
- Drinking alkaline water offers better hydrating properties compared to normal water since it contains smaller molecules, which are more readily absorbed by cells, aiding in quick rehydration.
- This can be a beneficial drink for people who work out daily and require more water in their bodies.
- It increases the efficiency of the immune system, thereby lowering the risk of infections and diseases.
- It contains various minerals, such as magnesium and calcium, both of which are important for maintaining healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis.
- The presence of highly potent antioxidants helps prevent the growth of cell-damaging free radicals in the body, which can further hasten the aging process.
- Studies have shown drinking alkaline water can help lower measures of high blood pressure and high blood sugar levels in patients.
- One of the most important benefits of drinking alkaline water is that it neutralizes the acidity in the body by lowering excessive acidic content in the stomach and gastrointestinal tract.
- Because of its inherent ability to neutralize acids in the stomach, it is a wonderful choice for treating gastrointestinal problems, such as gastric hyperacidity and diarrhea.
What are the uses of ionized water?
Besides the potential health benefits of drinking alkaline water, ionized water has the following uses:
- Bathing in it claims to improve skin-related problems because it has been shown to reduce skin damage associated with ultraviolet radiation.
- Alkaline water helps maintain the balance between proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines (chemicals regulating inflammation).
- Alkaline water has been proposed to reduce adverse side effects of hemodialysis, such as excessive free radical generation in patients with end-stage renal disease.
- Alkaline water accelerates the excretion of melamine and prevents its accumulation in the bladder, which may prevent the formation of bladder stones.
- Ionized water may help maintain healthy blood flow.
What are the risks of ionized water?
Despite the numerous nutritional benefits of drinking alkaline water, rigorous quality control is required to keep the pH within a physiologically acceptable range. One of the adverse effects is that excessive ingestion may damage the stomach's natural acids, causing the healthy bacteria to die. Consuming alkaline water can irritate the skin, eyes, and mucus membranes.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
National Kidney Foundation of Hawai’i. The Buzz on Alkaline Water. https://kidneyhi.org/dietitian-blog/the-buzz-on-alkaline-water
El Camino Health. Alkaline Water – Is It the Miracle Beverage? https://www.elcaminohealth.org/stay-healthy/blog/alkaline-water-miracle-beverage
Top Is Ionized Water Good for You Related Articles
Can Drinking Water Help Prevent a Stroke?Many studies have proven that proper hydration at the time of a stroke is linked to better stroke recovery. It is possible that dehydration causes blood to be thicker. Viscous blood causes the body to retain sodium and increases blood pressure. Drinking enough water regularly prevents dehydration. This may play a role in keeping the blood less viscous, which in turn prevents a stroke.
Can Drinking Water Lower Your Blood Pressure?Keeping well hydrated by drinking six to eight glasses of water daily (even more if working in hot and humid conditions) is beneficial for the blood pressure. High blood pressure (BP) or hypertension is a condition caused by the persistent high pressure of blood against the walls of arteries. It is also called systolic pressure (constantly greater than 139 mmHg) or diastolic pressure (constantly more than 89 mmHg).
Can You Flush Out a UTI With Water?Patients with urinary tract infection (UTI) are usually advised to drink six to eight glasses (1.5 to 2 liters) of water every day to flush the infection out of the urinary system.
Does Drinking Water Help Diverticulitis?Yes, drinking water may help resolve diverticulitis. However, the overall management of diverticulitis depends on the extent of the disease. Only hydration may not help in all cases. It is advised to maintain a liquid diet, such as clear liquids or broths, during the first few days of the diverticulitis attack. This is because constipation is a major cause of diverticulitis.
Does Drinking Water Flush Nicotine Out of Your System?Nicotine is water-soluble, so drinking water will help flush out any lingering traces. Water helps flush nicotine and other chemicals out of your body.
How Much Water Should You Drink Based on Your Weight?The old formula “one size fits all” seems to be outdated in the current scenario. Currently, the size, weight, activity level, or area of living can influence your water need. In general, you should try to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water per day for each pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds you should drink between 75 to 150 ounces of water a day.
Hydration QuizDo you know how much water you should be drinking on a daily basis? It may not be what you think. Take this quiz to learn how to stay hydrated.
Is Drinking a Lot of Water Good for Your Prostate?Doctors recommend drinking six to eight glasses of water (or 1.5 to 2 liters) daily. For prostate problems, limit water intake before going to bed at night. This will keep you from waking up at night to urinate repeatedly.
Is Drinking Cold Water Bad?About 60 percent of the body is made up of water. It forms a major part of the blood. The cells and the body cannot function right if the water levels go down. Drinking cold water often causes “cold stress” in the body.
Is Gripe Water Safe for Newborns?As gripe water is a supplement and not a medication, it doesn’t come under the regulation of the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA), which means that there is no guarantee for the ingredients mentioned on the label.
7 Ways Water Benefits the BodyDrinking water benefits digestion, metabolism, toxin elimination, and other functions. Water promotes weight loss and helps prevent dehydration. Health benefits of hydration include improvements in mood, skin health, and ability to work out.
What Happens to Your Body When You Drink Enough Water?You might be surprised at how well your body works when you drink enough water. Find out exactly what can go right when you get your H2O.
What Is Rose Water Good For?Rose water is flavored water that is of medicinal, cultural and religious importance in various places all around the world. Rose water offers various cosmetic and health benefits because of the presence of phenolic compounds, volatile oils and aromatic compounds in it. It seems to be good for the skin, hair, mind, throat and gut.
Why Is Gripe Water Banned?Gripe water is a herbal medication available in the liquid form. It has been effective in treating colic in children.