Dextrose and health
The positive and negative effects of dextrose depend on an individual's overall health and their medical conditions. People with certain health conditions should be particularly careful with dextrose consumption. Dextrose is a normal sugar derived from corn. If it is consumed in large quantities, it can spike the body’s blood sugar levels and may increase the risk of several health conditions, such as:
- Diabetes: People battling any type of diabetes should watch their dextrose intake. Dextrose may increase blood sugar levels and cause more problems. With a glycemic index of 100, dextrose is not safe for diabetics to use. The blood sugar level may go up instantly after taking dextrose, which may lead to several complications.
- Heart diseases: People who have a history of heart ailments should be careful with their intake of dextrose and other forms of sugar. Popular research shows that there is a connection between heart diseases and sugar intake.
- Kidney diseases: Intake of dextrose and other forms of sugar must be monitored carefully in people suffering from kidney-related ailments.
- Weight gain: Excessive consumption may lead to a buildup of fat. This happens because the body metabolizes simple sugars instantly and stores them as fat when a person is eating more than what is required. This may contribute to obesity.
- Too much dextrose intake regularly may lead to insulin resistance. In this condition, glucose stays in the bloodstream for too long. This happens because dextrose can increase the release of insulin, which may make a person feel tired and increase the risk of many diseases.
- Apart from the above conditions, excess dextrose should be avoided in patients with depression, acne, and other skin conditions.
- Excess consumption of dextrose may also lead to frequent urination and stomach pain/upset.
- Patients who have swelling in arms, feet, or legs may also need to avoid dextrose.
Dextrose is beneficial for health when consumed in moderation. The benefits of dextrose are:
- The cells in the body metabolize dextrose and keep the body active. Many bodybuilders rely on dextrose supplements to load their body up with enough carbs after a workout. This helps boost metabolism.
- The body can store dextrose in the form of glycogen, which is converted into energy when the body is lacking the required energy. This helps maintain energy and ensures that the body functions optimally.
- Dextrose is the brain fuel. It can help cope with fatigue just before an examination.
Dextrose is a fast-digesting sugar, which means that it helps replenish energy in a short time. Consuming it within half an hour of completing a workout will make the person feel active again.
- Manufacturers of different products use dextrose to increase the shelf life of their products.
- When used in baked goods, it helps them brown easily; when used in wines, it helps improve the fermentation process.
- Dextrose can also be used to preserve certain foods in a better way because it is not as sweet as regular sugar.
- Dextrose also has medicinal properties and is an ingredient used in solutions that are given intravenously. Combined with other drugs, it may help improve the blood sugar levels to provide an energy boost. However, this may reduce the level of sodium in the blood.
Dextrose is a type of sugar and like all sugars, it should be consumed moderately. There are no special dangers associated with dextrose outside of the risks associated with all sugars.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Is Dextrose Bad for Your Health? Related Articles
Which Has More Sugar?Trying to eat less sugar? Find out where it may be hiding in your diet.
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2 diabetes are at risk for this condition. There are other diseases that can cause a person's blood sugar levels to go too low, for example, pancreatitis, Cushing's syndrome, and pancreatic cancer. Symptoms and signs that your blood sugar levels are too low include palpitations, trembling, intense hunger, sweating, nervousness, and weakness.
If your blood sugars become too low, use these nearby as a quick treatment table sugar, soda, juice, and glucose tablets.
Is Maltodextrin a Sugar?Maltodextrins are synthesized from chemical treatment (hydrolysis) of carbohydrates or sugars. The source carbohydrate may be corn, maize, wheat, rice, or tapioca. Maltodextrin does not taste sweet. Maltodextrin is used as a thickening or filling agent in puddings, custards, gelatins, sauces, and salad dressings.
Normal Blood Sugar Levels (Ranges) In Adults with Diabetes
People with diabetes can manage and prevent low or high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia) by keeping a log of your blood sugar levels when you are eating and fasting and eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and sugar, for example, buttered potatoes, candy, sugary desserts, and fatty foods.
Blood tests, for example, the hemoglobin A1c test (A1c test) and urinalysis can diagnose the type of diabetes the person has. Diabetes during pregnancy, called gestational diabetes, should be managed by you and your OB/GYN or another healthcare professional.
Extremely high levels of blood glucose in the blood can be dangerous and life threatening if you have type 1, type 2, or gestational diabetes.
If you or someone that you are with has extremely high blood glucose levels, call 911 or go to your nearest Urgent Care or Emergency Department immediately.
To prevent and manage high blood glucose levels in people with diabetes keep a log of your blood sugar levels, eat foods that are high in carbohydrates sugar, for example, buttered potatoes, candy, sugary deserts, and fatty foods that you can share with your doctor and other healthcare professionals.
Hidden Sugar in FoodHidden sugar sources in food are everywhere, from breakfast cereals to smoothies. Even “no-sugar-added” foods may have sneaky sugar sources like fruit juice. If you want to follow a sugar-free diet, if you have diabetes or if you want to lose weight, use these tips to avoid sugar in your snacks and meals.