Chlamydia is a sexually tranmistted disease (STD) that is contagious. Chlaymida is spread through sexual contact (You cannot get chlamyidia from kissing or sharing utensils or drinks.). Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. The incubation period for chlamydia ranges from days to months, and the contagious period ends seven days after patients begin treatment. Chlamydia signs and symptoms may include:
- painful urination,
- rectal irritation (proctitis),
- eye infections,
- and infertility.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
STD Quiz: Symptoms, Testing & List
There are more sexually transmitted diseases than just the ones you've heard of. Find out what you've been missing with the STD...
Picture of Chlamydia
A type of bacteria which causes an infection very similar to gonorrhea in the way that it is spread, the symptoms it produces,...
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment
Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...
Related Disease Conditions
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Ectopic Pregnancy (Symptoms, Signs, Treatment)
An ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy located outside the inner lining of the uterus. The majority of ectopic pregnancies occur in...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- STD Rates Continue to Climb in U.S.
- Vaginal Bacteria Tied to Heightened Chlamydia Risk
- STDs Hit All-Time High in U.S.
- Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia Rates Rising for First Time in Years: CDC
- Nearly 5 Percent of Young U.S. Women Have Chlamydia: CDC
- Screen Women for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Experts Say
- Chlamydia, Gonorrhea Tied to Higher Risk of Pregnancy Complications
- Few Sexually Active Women Get Chlamydia Test
- Chlamydia Tops STDs Reported to CDC
- U.S. Gonorrhea Rate Drops; Chlamydia, Syphilis Up
- Chlamydia Treated Sooner When Docs Use E-Records
- Chlamydia Often Overlooked in Young Men
- Yearly Chlamydia Screening May Be Ineffective for Some
- Chlamydia, STD Rates Soar in U.S.
- CDC: 2 Million in U.S. Have Chlamydia
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter