What is abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) is a procedure to correct abdominal deformity due to excess skin, subcutaneous tissue and laxity of the abdominal wall musculature. Abdominoplasty is one of the most performed cosmetic surgical procedures. It is usually performed by a plastic surgeon.
What are the causes of abdominal deformity?
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy can stretch the skin beyond its biomechanical capability to spring back and stretches the muscular structures of the abdominal wall. The result is stretching skin and thinning of the abdominal muscle.
- Massive weight loss from dieting, exercise gastric bypass surgery or after pregnancy causes excess skin and laxity of the abdominal wall.
Is abdominoplasty a major surgery?
Abdominoplasty is performed under spinal or general anesthesia and it is a major surgery.
What is abdominoplasty done for?
- Abdominal wall laxity
- Excess skin
- Striae (stretch marks)
- Diastasis (separation) of the abdominal muscles
- Body contouring
Am I a candidate for abdominoplasty?
- You would be an ideal patient if your body mass index (BMI) is within normal limits, have no plans for future pregnancies and only seek body contouring after weight loss.
- Moderate amount of excess of skin and fat can be treated. You need to be close to your ideal body weight prior to the surgery.
- If you are planning another pregnancy or planning to lose more than 10 lb, it is advised to postpone the procedure.
- The most accepted criterion for measuring obesity is BMI. Calculated by weight in kg divided by height in meters squared. The BMI categories are:
- It is important to have realistic expectations and aesthetic goals. The excision of excess skin and fat does not flatten an abdominal wall distended from inside. If you have had multiple pregnancies with striae, results would not be like in the magazines.
What happens during the abdominoplasty procedure?
The surgeon will
- Advise the patient to stop smoking and start exercising before the surgery for overall well-being and to speed the healing process.
- Advise the patient to lose enough weight they will be close to their goal weight.
- Perform a physical examination, blood and radiological investigations.
- Surgery is performed under anesthesia.
- Various types and sizes of incisions exist which the surgeon picks based on the patient's body shape and/ or choice of clothing.
- In most abdominoplasty procedures, the incision is low on the abdomen and hidden by underwear.
- Absorbable sutures can help reduce scarring.
- Endoscopic abdominoplasty (incision size is 2 1/2 inches) may be done in slim patients who just have a “pot belly”
- A surgical drain may be inserted to prevent blood and fluid accumulation in the operated area.
- The drain is a clear tube inserted through a small incision below the main incision.
After the procedure
- Pain killers and antibiotics may be administered.
- The surgical site is dressed for up to 48 hours.
- The drain may be removed the same day or within 24-48 hours.
- Removal is not typically painful.
- The patient can be discharged the same day or after drain removal.
- The patient should not shower for 48 hours.
- Feeling abdominal tightness, swelling and bruising is normal and usually resolves without further problems.
- Absorbable sutures take a few weeks to dissolve.
- Patients may experience pain for 10 to 20 days which may need pain killers.
- The patient can resume normal activities after 48 to72 hours.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects, rigorous exercise, swimming and other sports for six to eight weeks.
- The patient may resume moderate walking after 10 to 14 days.
- The patient can return to work, depending on their own comfort level, nature of work, physical activity required, travel distance and approval from the surgeon.
Latest Skin News
Daily Health News
Who should not get abdominoplasty?
People with the following issues should not receive abdominoplasty surgery:
How dangerous is abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty is a relatively safe and commonly performed surgery. It is important to be mindful of the contraindications, follow advice and have realistic aesthetic goals. But as with any major surgery, there are complications, which include:
- Poor wound healing
- Dehiscence (cut made during a surgical procedure separates or ruptures after it has been sutured)
- Blood clot formation
- Hypertrophic scarring (formation of raised scars)
- Residual deformity
- Blood clots in the vessels
- Wide umbilical scars
- Intra-abdominal hypertension
- Acid reflux
- Temporary or permanent numbness around the incision site
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Is Abdominoplasty Safe Related Articles
7 Reasons You Are Tired After SurgeryPostsurgical fatigue is normal and is due to a variety of factors. Depression, stress, and anxiety may produce fatigue. Sleep deficits, certain medications, anemia, blood loss, fasting, and loss of electrolytes and minerals associated with surgery can also produce fatigue. Exercise, physical exertion, aging, and the overall health status of patients are additional factors that play a role in making people feel tired after surgery.
Belly Fat QuizDid you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best thing for your health. Take the Belly Fat Quiz.
Plastic Surgery PicsThinking about getting plastic surgery? Check out before and after pictures of popular plastic surgery procedures, including: liposuction, tummy tuck, breast implants, rhinoplasty (nose job), neck lift, and more.
Plastic Surgery (Cosmetic Surgery)Cosmetic surgery and procedures include interventions to improve one's appearance and fight the effects of aging on the outside. Breast augmentation, eyelid surgery, and liposuction are examples of cosmetic surgical procedures. Botox injections, laser hair removal, and laser skin resurfacing are examples of cosmetic nonsurgical procedures.
Skin & Beauty: Anti-Aging Tips & Secrets to Look YoungerLook younger, fight aging, and reduce the appearance of wrinkles and skin aging by practicing good skin care. Use of moisturizing cream daily can help women and men maintain a more youthful appearance. Fillers and laser treatments can help you look young, too.