A staph infection is caused by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus. Staph can cause boils, food poisoning, cellulitis, toxic shock syndrome, MRSA, and various other illnesses and infections. Most staph infections are transmitted from person to person.Read more: Is a Staph Infection Contagious? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
MRSA Quiz: Infection Symptoms & Treatment
It's the MRSA Quiz! For the carriers among us, you'd be surprised that the infectious superbug is lurking on this body part! Take...
Picture of Impetigo
A bacterial skin infection caused by the staphylococcus or, more rarely, streptococcus bacteria. The first sign of impetigo is...
Picture of Boil
A boil, also referred to as a skin abscess, is a localized infection deep in the skin. See a picture of a Boil and learn more...
MRSA Infection: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and staph infection are known as the super bug. Learn causes, symptoms, and...
Boils: Causes, Symptoms, and Home Remedies
What causes boils? Learn home remedies for boils on the skin, how to get rid of boils, as well as the causes, symptoms, and types...
What Is a Staph Infection? Symptoms, Pictures
Do you know what a staph infection is? Learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment of staph infections (Staphylococcus...
Germs: Everyday Items with the Most Bacteria
Explore the germiest places you may encounter daily. Bacteria is everywhere. Learn tips to avoid germs and bacteria in public...
Related Disease Conditions
Boils (Skin Abscesses)
A boil is a skin abscess, a collection of pus localized deep in the skin. There are several different types of boils. Among them...
Cuts, Scrapes and Puncture Wounds
Cuts, scrapes, and puncture wounds are common, and most people will experience one of these in their lifetime. Evaluating the...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Endocarditis, a serious infection of one of the four heart valves is caused by growth of bacteria on one of the heart valves;...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Food Poisoning (Symptoms, Remedies, Treatment, Cure)
Food poisoning is common, but can also be life threatening. The symptoms for food poisoning are fever, abdominal pain, headache,...
Cellulitis is an acute spreading bacterial infection below the surface of the skin characterized by redness, warmth,...
Impetigo is a contagious skin infection caused by staph and strep bacteria. There are two types of impetigo: nonbullous and...
MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) bacteria causes skin infections with the following signs and symptoms:...
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)
Toxic shock syndrome is an infection that causes symptoms such as low blood pressure, fever, and a rash with peeling skin....
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- cefpodoxime proxetil (Vantin, Banan) for Infections
- Penicillin (Antibiotics)
- levofloxacin (Levaquin) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- Amoxicillin vs. Augmentin (Comparison of Side Effects and Antibiotic Uses)
- Cefdinir vs. cefixime (Suprax) 3rd Generation Antibiotics
- Keflex vs. Penicillin
Prevention & Wellness
- Therapy Dogs Can Spread MRSA, But Antibacterials Help Prevent the Danger
- Colds Especially Bad? Your Nose Might Be to Blame
- 'Fish Pedicure' Caused One Woman's Toenails to Stop Growing
- Testing for Penicillin Allergy May Cut 'Superbug' Infection Risk
- Certain Staph Bacteria Linked to Eczema
- Hospitals Get Good News About Fighting Staph Infections
- Humans Can Pass Staph Germs to Monkeys
- Certain Steroids Raise Risk for Serious Staph Infections
- Diabetes May Raise Risk for Dangerous Staph Infection
- Newborns Vulnerable to Common Staph Infections: Study
- Pig Farmers at Greater Risk for Drug-Resistant Staph Infections: Study
- Older Antibiotic Still Works Against Staph Infections, Study Finds
- Staph Bacteria May Play Role in Eczema-Like Rash, Mouse Study Finds
- Experimental Staph Vaccine Fails to Work, Study Finds
- African Chimps Carry Drug-Resistant, Human-Linked Staph
- 'Super Bug' May Thrive in Homes Where Kids Have Staph Infections
- Some Kids' Surgery Should Include Staph Screening: Study
- Drug-Resistant Staph Threatens Cystic Fibrosis Patients
- Staph Infection Risk Rises With Brain, Chest Surgeries
- Immune System Gene Discovery Sheds Light on Staph Infections
- Drug-Resistant Staph Infections Reaching Epidemic Levels in Some Parts of U.S.
- Drug-Resistant Staph Is Here