A 5-day workout routine is a good way to improve your health and stay active. The American Heart Association recommends at least:
- 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity,
- 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or
- a combination of both.
Splitting your workouts over the week helps you target different muscle groups, gives you off-days to recover, and lowers the risk of exercise-related injuries.
What should I include in my 5-day workout routine?
Planning for your workouts in advance can help you stick to them more consistently. Your five-day workout routine must be such that you:
- Include various types of exercise such as strength training, cardio, and stretching workouts
- Focus on different muscle groups each day of the week
- Give yourself 1-2 days to relax and recover from fatigue
- Do not get bored of doing the same workout every day
You don’t need much equipment or a fancy gym to keep your workouts effective. A set of weights in your room, an exercise mat, and appropriate shoes are generally enough for a good workout routine.
What is an example of a 5-day workout routine?
You may want to talk to your doctor before starting a new workout regime, especially if you have any health issues. It’s also a good idea to plan your routine with the help of a qualified trainer.
Although individual requirements may vary, an example of a 5-day workout routine may be as follows:
- Day 1: 20 minutes of cardio (walking, cycling, jogging, swimming) and weight training for muscles of the legs, glutes, and calves.
- Day 2: Rest. You may do light stretching or yoga.
- Day 3: 40 minutes of cardio and weight training targeting your shoulders, arms, and forearms.
- Day 4: 30 minutes of cardio and weight training targeting your core.
- Day 5: Rest. You may do light stretching or yoga.
- Day 6: 30 minutes of cardio and weight training targeting your back and chest.
- Day 7: 30 minutes of cardio.
This schedule will help you train different muscles in your body and ensure that you get at least 150 minutes of heart-pumping physical activity a week. The American Heart Association further adds that to maximize workout benefits, you may even aim for cardio activity of 300 minutes a week.
If you are a beginner, it is advisable to start slow and then increase your activity as your stamina improves.
How to prevent injuries during a workout
Workout injuries may be prevented by:
- Warming up properly before the workout
- Wearing proper workout gear
- Staying hydrated before, during, and after the workout
- Not overdoing any activity beyond your physical limits
- Following proper form during the workout
- Cooling down for 5-10 minutes toward the end of the workout
- Stretching (15-30 seconds for each muscle group) after the workout
- Eating a protein-rich diet
- Having rest days so that your body can recover properly
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Is a 5-Day Workout Routine Good Related Articles
10 Best Shoulder Exercises for Your Home WorkoutThe shoulder is made of two joints. One joint is between the shoulder blade (scapula) and collar bone (clavicle) called the acromioclavicular joint. The other joint is a type of ball and socket joint between the upper end of the bone of the arm (humerus) and shoulder blade. There are 10 shoulder exercises that you can easily include as a part of your home workout.
Fitness and Exercise: 15 Things You Can Do for Your Health TodayIt doesn't take a lot of effort to do things that are good for you. Check out a few you can do right now.
30-Minute WorkoutThis quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do cardio and resistance training exercises like squats, lunges and push-ups that target each major muscle group such as the thighs, chest, and shoulders.
Are Workout Machines Bad?Workout machines are effective ways to exercise and gain muscle. Workout machines are not necessarily bad, but there are risks associated with using these machines.
Fitness and Exercise: Basic Body-Weight Exercises You Can Do Right NowBody-weight exercises use your body's weight as resistance instead of equipment. Here are some you can do anywhere, any time.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
No-Gym Home WorkoutLearn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and total body fitness without costly fitness and exercise equipment.
How Many Days a Week Should You Not Workout?Working out is key to staying fit and healthy, but people sometimes overdo it. Research shows that most adults should take one or two full rest days every week. The exact number of recommended rest days depends on a range of factors like your age and activity levels.
What Are 7 of the Most Effective Exercises?The seven most effective exercises are swimming, tai chi, resistance training, walking, kegels, active lifestyle, and sneak exercise into your daily life.
What Is a Good Gym Routine for Beginners?As a beginner, it's wise to engage a fitness professional or certified gym instructor during your first few workouts. To sustain the benefits of working out, you will need to keep exercising regularly and create a schedule, or set goals to guide you.
What Is the Best Workout for Abs?A strong, well-toned core is not just aesthetically appealing, it is also essential for overall physical fitness. Abs form an important component of the core along with the muscles of the back and pelvis. Strong abs help maintain a good posture. They also help move around, bend over and perform everyday tasks.
What Is the Best Workout for the Upper Body?Your upper body is grouped into the muscles that support the upper spine and shoulder blade and the muscles of the hands, forearms, upper arm, and shoulder. Upper body workouts strengthen your arms, shoulders, and back, helping you achieve a good posture and co-ordination. Having a strong upper body improves your flexibility and range of motion and is also aesthetically appealing.
What Leg Workouts Can I Do at Home?Exercises that help tone the legs benefit the legs, the spine as well as the other body parts. These exercises help burn calories, reduce cholesterol, and reduce the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure (hypertension), and arthritis.