A two-hour nap may leave you feeling groggy and hamper your normal sleep cycle. Generally, you want to nap for less than an hour and take it earlier in the day (such as before 2 or 3 p.m.).
Keep in mind the following when taking naps:
- For a variety of reasons, the ideal nap length varies with people (age, career, lifestyle, schedule, etc.).
- However, most experts agree that a short power nap (such as a 20-minute nap) or a full sleep cycle (about 90 minutes) is optimal.
- You may feel sleepy when you wake up after a two-hour nap, which may result in problems falling asleep later.
- If you take a nap that lasts more than an hour, your circadian rhythm is likely to be disrupted.
- If your nap interferes with your nightly sleep, you won't feel any better the next morning.
- A long nap, such as two hours per day, could indicate sleep deprivation or another sleep disorder, which may need a doctor’s consultation.
What are the benefits of 90 minutes of napping every day?
A 90-minute nap per day improves your mental and physical function, response time and cognitive ability. Other advantages of taking such a nap include:
What is a power nap?
A power nap is a brief period of daytime sleep that might help you feel refreshed when you are tired. Power naps are designed to be short enough that you wake up before the onset of the deep sleep stage (REM and slow-wave sleep).
- If you have 15 to 30 minutes to spare, a power nap can revitalize you and give you the energy you need to finish your day.
- When you take a power nap, you wake up before deep sleep starts and stay in the lighter stages of sleep, which helps avoid the drowsy, post-nap feeling most people experience.
- Sleeping or even resting for a short while when you feel tired in the middle of the day makes you more relaxed, reduces stress, increases efficiency and improves your overall health.
- Power naps are not meant to replace any overnight sleep, but rather are supposed to give you that extra push when you are fatigued throughout the day.
- Due to the sleep cycles, different time spans spent napping provide varying consequences; therefore, it's crucial to know how long to nap to get these benefits.
- If you want to try a power nap, select a cool, dark place where you would not be bothered while you sleep.
What is the best music to listen to during napping?
Slower music has been proven in tests to be more soothing, allowing people to sleep quickly, especially during brief or power naps. Classical music can help lower stress hormone levels and reduce the pulse and heart rate. Relaxing music promotes physiological changes that, in many ways, mirror a sleep state. The physiological changes that allow you to go asleep and stay asleep include a slower heart rate, slower breathing and lower blood pressure.
Music has a relaxing effect on the emotional brain, which aids in stress and anxiety relief. Listening to relaxing music while napping is practically the same as assisting your body in entering the sleep state, both physically and psychologically, which aids in sleeping better in a short time.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Fry A. Napping. Sleep Foundation. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene/napping
Adler L. How Long Is an Ideal Nap? Sleep.Org. https://www.sleep.org/how-long-to-nap/
Top Is a 2-hour Nap Too Long Related Articles
Insomnia SlideshowWhat is insomnia? Insomnia by definition is trouble falling or staying asleep. Insomnia causes are varied. Learn 10 tips on how to get a good night's sleep and avoid sleep disorders such as insomnia.
Bed Basics and SleepSleep. It seems like the easiest thing in the world. Until it's not. See tips on how to get your best sleep. Our gallery shows you how to get plenty of it.
Can You Recover from Years of Sleep Deprivation?Learn what medical treatments can ease symptoms of sleep deprivation and help you recover from years of sleeping badly.
How Can I Fall Asleep in 2 Minutes?Adequate quantity and quality of sleep are important for you to stay healthy, both mentally and physically. While for a blessed few dozing off is an easy affair, going to sleep can be a struggle for many. Falling asleep in a short while, such as in 2 minutes, may be achieved by following certain tips and sleep rituals.
How Do I Get Rid of My Fear of Sleeping?If the thought of nightmares or paralysis makes you anxious, you may have somniphobia. Here’s how to overcome fear of sleep and when to seek treatment.
How Do You Fall Asleep as Soon as You Hit the Bed?Insomnia or lack of sleep is a frustrating experience. It makes you irritable and dull, as well as affects your physical and mental performance. Poor sleep can cause depression, body pain, heart disease, and diabetes.
How Do You Fall Asleep in 5 Minutes?Good sleep hygiene means practicing habits that help you get good quality sleep every night. Adequate sleep is essential for your overall mental and physical health. There are no quick fixes to fall asleep within five minutes, but there are strategies to help you fall asleep faster.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Deprivation?How do you know if you are deprived of sleep? Learn the signs and symptoms of sleep deprivation.
Sleep Health: 20 Facts About Your Biological Body ClockBiological clocks control much of human biology, including aging, hormones, sleep, fertility, and seasonal cycles. The body clock controls circadian rhythms, the 24-hour cycle that governs biological processes in humans, animals, plants, and even bacteria. Science says maintaining healthy circadian rhythms may protect against chronic conditions.
Sleep QuizTake our Sleeping Quiz to learn which sleep disorders, causes, and symptoms rule the night. Trouble falling or staying asleep? Find out which medical treatments fight sleep deprivation, apnea, insomnia, and more!
Sleep: The Best and Healthiest Sleeping Positions for Your HealthWhat is the best and healthiest sleeping position? Learn ways to say good night to back pain, neck pain, snoring, arthritis, and airway obstructions like sleep apnea. You may sleep on your side, stomach, or back. What does your sleep position have to do with chronic pain? Find out how to sleep for a more restful and comfortable night.
What Is the Best Music to Listen to When Sleeping?As per studies, slow music or classical music is more relaxing that can help you sleep. Classical music or instrumental music can help slow the pulse and decrease levels of stress hormones. Relaxing music triggers changes to the body and, in many ways, mimics a sleepy state.
Which Way Should You Face Your Bed? Rules for a Better SleepThere is a lack of convincing scientific evidence to say that you should face your bed in a “particular” way or direction. However, as per the ancient Chinese practice, feng shui, you should face your headboard toward the south.
Why Am I Having Trouble Sleeping at Night?Having repeated difficulty with sleep initiation, maintenance or poor quality of sleep that occurs despite adequate time and opportunity for sleep, resulting in some form of daytime impairment is called insomnia.
Why Is Blue Light Bad for Sleep?Blue light is a visible light spectrum with the shortest wavelength and highest energy. Exposure to blue light affects the sleep-and-wake cycle, or circadian rhythm, by altering the synthesis of melatonin in the brain.