Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating, increased gas (flatulence), abdominal cramping, diarrhea, constipation, and food intolerance.
Two new tests are now available that may help diagnose irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea and constipation (IBS-M) irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D), and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). Treatment for IBS includes diet changes, medications, and other lifestyle changes to manage symptoms.Read more: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Take this quiz and get quick facts on causes and treatment options for this...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Related Disease Conditions
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas, colitis,...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
12 Foods to Eat to Relieve Constipation
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Gastric Emptying Study
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Barium Enema
- Antro-duodenal Motility Study
- Weight Loss
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Loss of Appetite
- Abdominal Pain
- Stomach Cramps
- Intestinal Gas
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Chronic Pain
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS FAQs
- Rifaximin (Xifaxan) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Treatment
- Travel Medicine Kit
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Abdominal Pain - Common in Teens
- IBS, GERD, Hepatitis C: Doctors Dialogue
- Diarrhea: On The Go Diarrhea
- IBS: Doing The Right Thing
- IBS Drug Treatment - The Lesson of Alosteron
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- dicyclomine - oral, Bentyl
- alosetron - oral, Lotronex
- clidinium/chlordiazepoxide - oral, Librax
- hyoscine butylbromide-oral, Buscopan
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- diphenoxylate and atropine, Lomotil
- dicyclomine, Bentyl
- sumatriptan, Imitrex, Alsuma, Imitrex STATdose System, Sumavel DosePro
- buspirone, Buspar (Discontinued brand in the US)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- lactulose (Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, Cholac, Constilac)
- senna (sennosides; Senokot, Senokot EXTRA and others)
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- linaclotide (Linzess)
- loperamide (Imodium)
- trimebutine-oral tablet
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- colestipol (Colestid)
- bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Correctol, Bisacolax, Bisac-Evac, Alophen, Fleet Bisacodyl, Feen-A-Mint)
- docusate (Correctol, Colace, Dulcolax, Phillips Liquid-Gels, and many others)
- rifaximin, Xifaxan
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- attapulgite, Rheaban; Kaopectate Advanced Formula; Parepectolin; Diasorb; Diatrol; Donnagel
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, and others)
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- hyoscine (scopolamine)-injectable
- magnesium hydroxide - oral
- bisacodyl suppository and enema (Dulcolax, Biscolax, Bisac-Evac, Fleet Enema, Laxative)
- senna-rectal, Senokot
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- hyoscyamine, atropine, scopolamine and phenobarbital, Donnatal
- desipramine, Norpramin
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- imipramine, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM
- chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and clidinium bromide (Librax)
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- lubiprostone, Amitiza
- colesevelam, Welchol
- alosetron, Lotronex
- tegaserod, Zelnorm
Prevention & Wellness
- Crohn's, Colitis May Be Tied to Prostate Cancer
- Severe Diarrhea Can Send IBS Patients Over the Edge
- Are You a Prospective Poop Donor?
- Your Tummy Rumblings Might Help Diagnose Bowel Disorder
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- Could Fermented Foods Boost Your Health?
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Scientists Identify New Organ in Body
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Gut Bacteria May Hold Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Do Genes Link Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Psych Therapies May Have Long-Term Benefits for Irritable Bowel Patients
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Food Allergies Tied to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Review Finds Fecal Transplants Work Well But Need Tight Regulation
- Cutting Certain Carbs Might Not Ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New Meds OK'd for Hard-to-Treat IBS With Diarrhea
- Health Tip: What's Triggering Your Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Beware Claims That Activated Charcoal Can Cure Gut Troubles
- Experts Issue Guidelines for Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- IBS, Chronic Constipation: New Guidelines Issued
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS With Diet
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New IBS Drug Linzess Approved
- California Woman Finds Ways to Control IBS
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS Symptoms
- Very Restricted Diet May Reduce Symptoms of IBS
- 2 Weeks of Antibiotic Therapy Relieves IBS
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known
- The Truth About Probiotics and Your Gut
- IBS: Dealing With Irritable Bowel Syndrome at Work
- 9 Steps to End Chronic Worrying
- Zelnorm, IBS Drug Taken Off the Market
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month
- IBS: New Drug Treatment for IBS in Women
- IBS and Women
- Fiber- What Is It?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter