Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of:
- Abdominal pain
- Increased gas (flatulence)
- Abdominal cramping
- Food intolerance
Two new tests are now available that may help diagnose irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea and constipation (IBS-M) and irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D). Treatment for IBS includes diet changes, medications, and other lifestyle changes to manage symptoms.Read more: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
19 Constipation Myths and Facts
Before constipation can be treated, it has to be understood. Find out whether fiber, water exercise and more can help with...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Slideshow: Top Foods With Probiotics
See the top probiotic foods that contain good bacteria that can boost your digestive health, and learn to include them in your...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Take this quiz and get quick facts on causes and treatment options for this...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Related Disease Conditions
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes...
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Gas (intestinal gas) means different things to different people. Everyone has gas and eliminates it by belching, burping, or...
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Top 12 Foods for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults
Abdominal migraine in adults and children is a variant of migraine headaches. Abdominal migraine in children generally occurs in...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diagnosis
How was your case of IBS diagnosed?Post View 22 Comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Treatments
What treatments have been effective to treat your case of IBS?Post View 14 Comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Diet
What dietary changes have you made that have improved your case of IBS?Post View 3 Comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Medications
What medications have been effective in treating your symptoms of IBS?Post View 2 Comments
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Symptoms
What symptoms have you experienced with IBS? What foods seem to trigger IBS episodes?Post View 3 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Stomach Cramps
- Weight Loss
- Loss of Appetite
- Abdominal Pain
- Intestinal Gas
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Chronic Pain
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Sugar FAQs
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS FAQs
- Travel Medicine Kit
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Rifaximin (Xifaxan) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Treatment
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Diarrhea: On The Go Diarrhea
- IBS: Doing The Right Thing
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Abdominal Pain - Common in Teens
- IBS Drug Treatment - The Lesson of Alosteron
- IBS, GERD, Hepatitis C: Doctors Dialogue
Medications & Supplements
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- dicyclomine - oral, Bentyl
- alosetron - oral, Lotronex
- clidinium/chlordiazepoxide - oral, Librax
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- dicyclomine, Bentyl
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- diphenoxylate and atropine, Lomotil
- sumatriptan, Imitrex, Alsuma, Imitrex STATdose System, Sumavel DosePro
- hyoscine butylbromide-oral, Buscopan
- senna (sennosides; Senokot, Senokot EXTRA and others)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- buspirone, Buspar (Discontinued brand in the US)
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- lactulose (Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, Cholac, Constilac)
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- linaclotide (Linzess)
- docusate (Correctol, Colace, Dulcolax, Phillips Liquid-Gels, and many others)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- trimebutine-oral tablet
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- rifaximin, Xifaxan
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Correctol, Bisacolax, Bisac-Evac, Alophen, Fleet Bisacodyl, Feen-A-Mint)
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, and others)
- imipramine, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM
- desipramine, Norpramin
- loperamide, Imodium A-D, Anti-Diarrheal, TH Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Imodium, Kaopectate II, Imodium
- magnesium hydroxide - oral
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- attapulgite, Rheaban; Kaopectate Advanced Formula; Parepectolin; Diasorb; Diatrol; Donnagel
- bisacodyl suppository and enema (Dulcolax, Biscolax, Bisac-Evac, Fleet Enema, Laxative)
- hyoscine (scopolamine)-injectable
- chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and clidinium bromide (Librax)
- hyoscyamine, atropine, scopolamine and phenobarbital, Donnatal
- lubiprostone, Amitiza
- senna-rectal, Senokot
- colesevelam, Welchol
- alosetron, Lotronex
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- tegaserod, Zelnorm
Prevention & Wellness
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- Could Fermented Foods Boost Your Health?
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Scientists Identify New Organ in Body
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Gut Bacteria May Hold Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Do Genes Link Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Psych Therapies May Have Long-Term Benefits for Irritable Bowel Patients
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Food Allergies Tied to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Review Finds Fecal Transplants Work Well But Need Tight Regulation
- Cutting Certain Carbs Might Not Ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New Meds OK'd for Hard-to-Treat IBS With Diarrhea
- Health Tip: What's Triggering Your Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Beware Claims That Activated Charcoal Can Cure Gut Troubles
- Experts Issue Guidelines for Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- IBS, Chronic Constipation: New Guidelines Issued
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS With Diet
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New IBS Drug Linzess Approved
- California Woman Finds Ways to Control IBS
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS Symptoms
- Very Restricted Diet May Reduce Symptoms of IBS
- 2 Weeks of Antibiotic Therapy Relieves IBS
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known
- The Truth About Probiotics and Your Gut
- IBS: Dealing With Irritable Bowel Syndrome at Work
- 9 Steps to End Chronic Worrying
- Zelnorm, IBS Drug Taken Off the Market
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month
- IBS: New Drug Treatment for IBS in Women
- IBS and Women
- Fiber- What Is It?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter