Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of:
- Abdominal pain
- Increased gas (flatulence)
- Abdominal cramping
- Food intolerance
Two new tests are now available that may help diagnose irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea and constipation (IBS-M) and irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D). Treatment for IBS includes diet changes, medications, and other lifestyle changes to manage symptoms.Read more: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Take this quiz and get quick facts on causes and treatment options for this...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Stomach Pain Quiz: Nausea & Other Causes
Tummy Troubles? Get a better idea of what's causing the nausea, vomiting, bloating, gas, constipation, diarrhea, pain, and other...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments
Learn more about bacteria and the most common bacterial infections. Get more information on bacterial skin infections, which...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Worst Foods for Digestion
Discover which foods to avoid in order to prevent diarrhea and digestive problems. Find out which foods can trigger diarrhea and...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
Super Tips to Boost Digestive Health: Bloating, Constipation, and More
Upset stomach? Some foods may be the culprits, and bad habits may be to blame. Treat your body right with these simple nutrition...
Celiac Disease: Symptoms, Gluten in Foods, Gluten Allergy Tests, and More
Do you suffer from celiac disease? Learn about diet, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments for this digestive disorder that occurs...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Digestive Health: Why Am I Bloated?
Bloating is a sign and symptom of gas in the stomach or GI tract. Certain foods or health problems like constipation may cause...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Related Disease Conditions
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
12 Best Foods to Eat for Constipation Relief
Constipation is a common problem, and almost everyone has been constipated at one time or another. There are foods that can help...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach Pain) Symptoms, Relief Remedies, Medicine
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Abdominal Migraines in Children and Adults
Abdominal migraine in adults and children is a variant of migraine headaches. Abdominal migraine in children generally occurs in...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Lactose intolerance is a common problem where a person's digestive system cannot digest lactose. Signs and symptoms include:...
Is Colitis Contagious?
Colitis is a term that us used to describe inflammation of the colon. The terms enteritis, proctitis, and inflammatory bowel...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in children is a functional gastrointestinal disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Colonoscopy (Test, Side Effects, Preparation, Recovery)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Endoscopy (EGD) Procedure
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Gastric Emptying Study
- Fecal Occult Blood Test
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- Upper GI Series (Barium Swallow)
- Barium Enema
- Antro-duodenal Motility Study
- Weight Loss
- Distended Stomach (Abdominal Distention)
- Loss of Appetite
- Abdominal Pain
- Stomach Cramps
- Intestinal Gas
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Chronic Pain
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Sugar FAQs
- Tummy Trouble FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS FAQs
- Rifaximin (Xifaxan) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Treatment
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome & Abdominal Pain - Common in Teens
- IBS, GERD, Hepatitis C: Doctors Dialogue
- Diarrhea: On The Go Diarrhea
- IBS: Doing The Right Thing
- IBS Drug Treatment - The Lesson of Alosteron
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Travel Medicine Kit
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
- dicyclomine - oral, Bentyl
- alosetron - oral, Lotronex
- clidinium/chlordiazepoxide - oral, Librax
- Antidepressants (Depression Medications)
- dicyclomine, Bentyl
- amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
- metoclopramide, Reglan, Metozolv ODT, (Reglan ODT, Octamide, and Maxolon
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- hyoscine butylbromide-oral, Buscopan
- diphenoxylate and atropine, Lomotil
- buspirone, Buspar (Discontinued brand in the US)
- senna (sennosides; Senokot, Senokot EXTRA and others)
- sumatriptan, Imitrex, Alsuma, Imitrex STATdose System, Sumavel DosePro
- lactulose (Constulose, Enulose, Generlac, Cholac, Constilac)
- colestipol (Colestid)
- linaclotide (Linzess)
- loperamide (Imodium)
- hyoscyamine sublingual (Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, Anaspaz)
- bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Correctol, Bisacolax, Bisac-Evac, Alophen, Fleet Bisacodyl, Feen-A-Mint)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- docusate (Correctol, Colace, Dulcolax, Phillips Liquid-Gels, and many others)
- trimebutine-oral tablet
- rifaximin, Xifaxan
- nortriptyline, Pamelor, Aventyl - has been discontinued in the U.S.
- hyoscyamine - oral, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Donnamar,
- attapulgite, Rheaban; Kaopectate Advanced Formula; Parepectolin; Diasorb; Diatrol; Donnagel
- senna-rectal, Senokot
- bulk-forming laxatives - oral
- tricyclic antidepressants-oral, injection
- desipramine, Norpramin
- bisacodyl suppository and enema (Dulcolax, Biscolax, Bisac-Evac, Fleet Enema, Laxative)
- bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol, Kaopectate, Bismatrol Maximum Strength, and others)
- alosetron, Lotronex
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and clidinium bromide (Librax)
- imipramine, Tofranil, Tofranil-PM
- lubiprostone, Amitiza
- hyoscine (scopolamine)-injectable
- hyoscyamine - disintegrating oral tablet, Nulev
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- magnesium hydroxide - oral
- colesevelam, Welchol
- hyoscyamine, atropine, scopolamine and phenobarbital, Donnatal
- tegaserod, Zelnorm
Prevention & Wellness
- Severe Diarrhea Can Send IBS Patients Over the Edge
- Are You a Prospective Poop Donor?
- Your Tummy Rumblings Might Help Diagnose Bowel Disorder
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- Could Fermented Foods Boost Your Health?
- U.S. Report Cites the Good and Bad on Marijuana
- Scientists Identify New Organ in Body
- What's Behind the Gluten-Free Trend?
- Gut Bacteria May Hold Clues to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Do Genes Link Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- Psych Therapies May Have Long-Term Benefits for Irritable Bowel Patients
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Food Allergies Tied to Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Review Finds Fecal Transplants Work Well But Need Tight Regulation
- Cutting Certain Carbs Might Not Ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New Meds OK'd for Hard-to-Treat IBS With Diarrhea
- Health Tip: What's Triggering Your Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
- Beware Claims That Activated Charcoal Can Cure Gut Troubles
- Experts Issue Guidelines for Treating Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- IBS, Chronic Constipation: New Guidelines Issued
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS With Diet
- Health Tip: Keep Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Check
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- New IBS Drug Linzess Approved
- California Woman Finds Ways to Control IBS
- Health Tip: Help Manage IBS Symptoms
- Very Restricted Diet May Reduce Symptoms of IBS
- 2 Weeks of Antibiotic Therapy Relieves IBS
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the Brain
- Your Job's Start Time Affects Fatigue Level
- Fibromyalgia Gets Worse During Menstruation
- Lactose Intolerance: Too Little Is Known
- The Truth About Probiotics and Your Gut
- IBS: Dealing With Irritable Bowel Syndrome at Work
- 9 Steps to End Chronic Worrying
- Zelnorm, IBS Drug Taken Off the Market
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Awareness Month
- IBS: New Drug Treatment for IBS in Women
- IBS and Women
- Fiber- What Is It?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter