Patient Comments: Iron Deficiency - Detection

How was your iron deficiency detected? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ali, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I was 21 and started fainting constantly, feeling always dizzy and tired. I fainted twice a week usually. I went to the hospital and they didn't do anything for me. After going back for the fourth time they did a CT scan on my head and said nothing was wrong and sent me on my way. I made a doctor's appointment with the family doctor and he had blood tests done and called me the next day saying he sent in a prescription for iron for me to take 2 to 3 times a day. My iron was extremely low and he didn't know how I wasn't fainting more often than I already was. He also told me to take 2000 IUs of vitamin D a day as well because my levels of that were extremely low too. I was informed I will be on both medications most likely for the rest of my life. Lucky me!

Comment from: Ptadavid, Male (Patient) Published: March 11

My iron deficiency was detected during regular blood donation. I came up short on the iron level.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

At a routine physical my doctor decided to check my thyroid due to my thinning hair. The lab called me the next day telling me to go straight to the emergency room. My count was dangerously low and I needed a blood transfusion right away. My hair came back, but keeping my levels where they should be is a constant battle.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My iron deficiency was detected at the labs, I had low iron over 10 years ago prior to recent event.

Comment from: DaiTorro14, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I had a blood test done (August 15th) and I was positive for this disorder.

Comment from: SCCntryboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a regular blood platelet donor and was rejected after my test results showed I had an iron deficiency.

Take the Blood Disorders Quiz