Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most common nutritional deficiency and the leading cause in the US. Iron deficiency is caused due to increased iron deficiency from diseases, nutritional deficiency, or blood loss and the body's inability to intake or absorb iron. Children, teen girls, pregnant women, and babies are at most risk for developing iron deficiency. Symptoms of iron deficiency include feeling weak and tired, decreased work or school performance, slow social development, difficulty maintaining body temperature, decreased immune function, and an inflamed tongue. Blood tests can confirm an iron deficiency in an individual. Treatment depends on the cause of the deficiency. Proper diet that includes recommended daily allowances of iron may prevent some cases of iron deficiency. Read more: Iron Deficiency Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Blood and Bleeding Disorders Quiz
Exactly what is sickle cell anemia? Learn about sickle cell and other diseases by testing your IQ with the Blood and Bleeding...
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Related Disease Conditions
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)
GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is a condition in which the acidified liquid contents of the stomach backs up into the...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Hypothyroidism (Symptoms, Diet, Natural and Medical Treatments, Tests)
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Pernicious anemia is a blood disorder in which the body does not make enough red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12 in the...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Though human milk is the preferred feeding for infants, parents may consider formula-feeding if there is an inadequate supply of...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
The time when boys and girls begin the process of sexual maturation is called puberty. During this time, both sexes undergo a...
Menstruation (Menstrual Cycle)
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Are You Running Short on Iron?
- Blood Donation by Teen Girls May Raise Anemia Risk
- Gene-Linked Iron Disorder More Common Than Thought: Study
- An App, Your Fingernail -- and Anemia Screening Is Done
- Is Climate Change Draining Nutrients From Crops?
- Health Tip: Symptoms of Iron-Deficiency Anemia
- Frequent Blood Donations Safe for Some, But Not All
- Key Diabetes Test Gives Higher Blood Sugar Readings in Black Patients
- Iron Pills No Help for Certain Type of Heart Failure
- Health Tip: Make Sure You Get Enough Iron
- Could Anemia Cause Hearing Loss?
- Delay in Clamping Umbilical Cord Benefits Babies, Doctors Say
- New Moms Get No Iron Boost From Eating Placenta: Study
- Too Much Iron Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Health Tip: Managing Anemia With Iron
- Delaying Umbilical Cord Clamping Might Boost Child Development
- Benefits of Iron Supplements Unclear for Pregnant Women, Young Children
- Iron Supplements May Help Blood Donors Recover More Quickly
- Could Low Iron Intake During Pregnancy Raise Autism Risk?
- Small Childbirth Change Might Help Prevent Iron Deficiency in Babies: Study
- Health Tip: Need Extra Iron?
- Kidney Patients May Face Serious Side Effects From Weight-Loss Surgery
- Anemia Might Raise Dementia Risk, Study Suggests
- Iron Dosing Tricky for Dialysis Patients: Study
- Iron Supplements May Prevent Anemia During Pregnancy
- Breast-Fed Kids May Have Low Iron Levels, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Slumping Iron?
- Health Tip: Get More Iron
- Keep Tots' Milk to 2 Cups a Day: Study
- Loss of Key Blood Cell Gene Tied to Anemia, Animal Research Suggests
- Drinking in Pregnancy Shows Up in Child's Growth: Study
- Babies Born to Obese Mothers May Have Low Iron: Study
- Mothers' Stress Could Cause Iron Deficiency in Newborns
- Some Americans Are Not Getting Essential Nutrients
- Can Less Red Meat Add up to a Longer Life?
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- Low Iron Levels May Increase Blood Clot Risk
- Study: Mental Health Is Top Concern for Youth
- Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements
- Special Diets & Recipes
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Infants: Child Development
- Toddlers: Child Development
- Preschoolers: Child Development
- Young Children: Child Development
- Tween: Child Development
- Teen: Child Development
- Toddler Food Guidelines
- 15 Top Pregnancy Power Foods (Superfoods)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter