Patient Comments: Iritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with iritis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: peace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I was 10 years old when I had started going to ophthalmologist and was told that I will be very sensitive to light, and needed to be followed by ophthalmologist. After so many health issues that health professionals puzzled over the years, an ophthalmologist wrote a letter to medical doctors about the importance of diagnosing me as soon as possible, if not, that I may lose my sight. He said it looks like it is some autoimmune system issue. This week same ophthalmologist has diagnosed me with iritis. I am 52 now, and have been through a lot. He called my rheumatologist and told her his diagnosis which may help in diagnosing the main issue. They have known it some autoimmune problem but all these years doesnt show up on test.

Comment from: Daraz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am on my 3rd bout of Iritis. I caught this one very early and my eye doctor placed me on a strong steroid during the last bout, and that was the worst! My symptoms are redness and pain when touching my eyelid. I actually have a high pain tolerance, so the first two times I delayed treatment. This time I knew the signs and went straight in for treatment. I have confidence this episode will resolve quickly. I am most worried because now I require work up for autoimmune disease. My mother has two of these diseases and I had hoped (and still do) that my iritis is a fluke. The worst part about it is walking around with one eye dilated. I'm in healthcare and not only do I look like a freak, but everyone thinks I'm having a stroke!

Comment from: Iritis2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I was diagnosed with iritis in my left eye at 38. The next time was both eyes which they said was rare. My symptoms were pain if I touched my eye and a little blurry vision. I have had glasses for 40 years and am very picky about my vision. I get new glasses at least every 2 years the smallest change bothers me. I got the drops to dilate my pupil and as the doctor told me my eye is a muscle and the pupil dilates in dark gets smaller in light, therefore keeping it dilated is like putting a cast or sling on to stop movement of your muscle to let it heal. I did have a test for rheumatoid arthritis (it was negative), because my hands were falling asleep at night and very painful when I woke, or sometimes drying my hair it would happen. It hasn't happened again for ten years, now just cataract in left eye.

Comment from: clearwatercrusher, Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I think my iritis was caused by getting something in my eye. I went to the doctor two days later and he prescribed me sulphacetamide which is an antibiotic eye drops. This also could have caused it. Then two days later I went to my eye doctor and found that I had iritis. He is treating it with steroid drops every hour and a pupil enlargement drug three times a day, to break the pupil loose from its fixed position. It broke most of it loose but the pupil is still stuck in spot. Now he has prescribed me a stronger dilating drug.

Comment from: Clare, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had iritis twice in the same eye. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and I know it is connected to that. It left some damage to my eye some 10 years ago. The first time I had it a white film came over my eye and it came on overnight. On this occasion there has been no white film, just blurred vision. I have been given drops for a two week period. I hope within the two weeks it clears up. I will be back at the hospital in three weeks. The first time I had it, it went as quick as it came once treated.

Comment from: alahmetih, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

With iritis I have painful eyes, red and very bloody, sensitive to touch and light, and stabbing pain behind the eye as if the eye is going to fall out of its sockets.

Comment from: Glitterqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I got iritis 14 years ago and I had cartoon eyes, my tears were spurting out like a fountain and I could not see, but I had no pain. I got it again 7 years later but recognized the signs this time and went straight to the eye pavilion who treated me for weeks to make sure there was no damage. There is no reason for me catching this, I was/am healthy.

Comment from: Relieved, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I thought I had something in my eye and the next day it got worse from the flashes of a camera. I took out my contact lenses and my eye was so red and so sensitive to the light and gave me the worst headache. I went to the doctor the next day she said it was an abrasion. I got some eye drops, felt a little relief, went outside for a minute and my eye was in so much pain again and I got a headache. Finally I went to the emergency room and they sent me to the specialist and it was iritis and uveitis (no abrasion). I have to keep my eyes dilated for a couple of days and use prednisone acetate drops every hour I"m awake. I also did some blood work I have a follow up in two days this has been the worst pain of my life!

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: Meeting Place, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have severe redness of the eye, itching, and some very sharp pain. I had a cataract removed two weeks ago, and I was told last week I now have iritis. I also have sensitivity to light. On a bright sunny day I can hardly stand for the light to hit my eye, and the same with the lamp or electric lights in the house.

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I was diagnosed with Iritis of the eye after being seen in the emergency room with sharp shooting pains in the eye which was red, watering and so sensitive to light that I could not stand it. I was being treated for conjunctivitis, with a follow up in 2 days. I did get some relief, but then was referred to an ophthalmologist and got the right diagnosis, now I am on steroid drops plus a drop for dilating the pupil.

Comment from: Maria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My doctor thought at first I had pink eye! I did not believe him so I walked into an eye clinic and from there I saw 2 different eye surgeons. They both agree I have Iritis due to my rheumatoid arthritis which I inherited from my father! So now I am on a steroid every day! One drop a day in the one eye! I have been on this drop for 4 years now! It is the only thing that works now! I have tried numerous drugs and none worked, the drop once a day seems to work!

Comment from: ARIM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I've now been living with chronic iritis for almost 30 years. I'm not blind since taking care of this illness into my own hands and working out the best treatment with both medical and alternative practitioners. The doctors caused me major problems with their steroid and pressure drops. A 3 months program of killing the iritis cells and getting off the drugs now works very well.

View the Eye Diseases and Conditions Slideshow Pictures