Patient Comments: Intussusception - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, including surgery, did you or your child receive for an intussusception? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ok now, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I had a routine colonoscopy which went well and was released after the procedure. Three hours later I started getting a gas-like pain but thought nothing of it. Three hours later I was carried in an ambulance to the hospital where they eventually diagnosed an intussusception via an x-ray and then a CAT scan with contrast. The surgeon and his assistant had never seen this in an adult before. They performed laparoscopic surgery to pull the bowel back into place. They wanted to release me later that day but I refused to go as I had not eaten solid food yet, passed neither gas nor had a bowel movement. I developed fever of 102 and 103 in the next days. Suspected pneumonia but I was released after a total of 4 days. I have total lethargy still after 2 weeks. I am on iron supplements and multi vitamins but have no energy. I feel awful but at least I am up and about. I had a black and tarry stool today so am returning to the doctor tomorrow. I will post updates.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Children's Health & Parenting Newsletter