Interval training is thought to have originated in Sweden, where it's called fartlek training. Interval training is a method of training in which your workout's intensity is increased and decreased between aerobic and anaerobic training. Intervals can improve performance and recovery in a short amount of time. Read more: Interval Training Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Related Disease Conditions
Heat Rash (Symptoms, Pictures, Treatment, Remedies)
Heat rash is a skin irritation caused by excessive sweating. It can occur at any age and it appears as a rash that itches or...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Fitness: Summer Fitness for Your Family
- Exercise: How to Get Going
- Fitness: Designing an Aerobic Workout
- Fitness Strategies for the Whole Family
- Fitness: Simple Run/Walk Fitness for Busy People
- Exercise: Get Going and Keep Going -- Meg Jordan, PhD, RN. -- 01/21/03
- Exercise Momentum Keeping It Going
- Exercising for a Healthier Heart -- Kenneth Cooper, MD -- 02/19/03
- Fitness Myths and Facts -- Gina Kolata -- 05/08/03
- Fitness Training Choices -- Cedric X. Bryant, PhD
- Fitness: Fall into Fitness -- Richard Weil, MEd, CDE -- 9/2/03
- Fit: Got 8 Minutes? Get Fit!-- Jorge Cruise
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Evening Exercise Won't Wreck Your Sleep
- Take the Stairs: An 'Exercise Snack' Can Do Wonders for Your Heart and Lungs
- Only Endurance Exercise May Slow Aging
- Bells, Whistles and Home Exercise Equipment
- When It Comes to Exercise, Quality Trumps Quantity
- Health Tip: Reap the Benefits of Intense Exercise
- Supercharging Exercise With Interval Training
- Got 10 Minutes to Spare?
- Exercise: The Cellular 'Fountain of Youth'
- Health Tip: Maximizing Your Workout
- Health Tip: Reap the Benefits of High-Intensity Interval Training
- Want New Knowledge to Stick? Head Straight to a Workout
- Gotta Minute? Get a Good Workout
- Health Tip: Make Your Workouts More Intense
- Health Tip: Considering High-Intensity Interval Training?
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Short Bursts of Intense Exercise Can Fight Weight Gain: Study
- Interval Training Burns More Calories in Less Time
- Runners May Live Longer
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Exercise Recommended for Cancer Patients
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Kettlebell Workouts Burn Calories Fast
- Cholesterol Facts
- Lose Weight Fast: How to Do It Safely
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Fitness Boot Camps: Should You Enlist?
- The 300 Workout: Can You Handle It?
- Lunch Hour Workout
- Fitness Basics: Swimming, No Pain, Plenty of Gain
- Exercise with Intervals Boosts Fitness
- Losing Those Last 10 Pounds, Tips to Hit Your Goal
- Cardio Exercise: Maximize Muscle Burn
- Fitness: He Ain't Heavy
- Run-Walk: Wogging