Patient Comments: Intertrigo - Experience

Please describe your experience with intertrigo. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: TnLady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I am obese and sleep on my right side. Years ago a friend told me to spray white vinegar on the rash under my breasts and groin area. It works for my intertrigo 98 percent of the time but sometimes the rash takes over. I continue the vinegar spray after my shower and then use a tripe antibiotic ointment. Clears it up nicely. Try the vinegar it's wonderful.

Comment from: gigi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had trouble with intertrigo beneath my breasts for several years and tried all kinds of remedies. Perspiration with menopause made it so much worse. Sometimes the pain was so bad I could barely leave the house. A friend recommended buying slings to cushion my breasts. I did, and the relief was almost immediate! The area stays dry and the cushions prevent my sore skin from rubbing against itself. This product has been miraculous! I can't recommend it enough.

Comment from: Goldey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have been overweight (around 250 lb.) forever, and at age 70 now I have large droopy breasts and a not too large apron of skin that hangs over my abdomen. I sweat quite a bit, especially under the apron. About 5 years ago I started getting these rashes under my right breast, in my right armpit, and on the right side under my apron. I am sure it is because I sleep on my right side, and all that sweat and everything is trapped in there all night. The 1 percent cream did clear it up in about 14 days, but sometimes it came back almost right away. I have gotten rid of my intertrigo finally, and here is what I did. I totally stopped wearing a bra, and live naked most of the time. (If you live with someone, you can wear loose muumuus, etc., no binding, no rubbing anywhere ever, etc. If I go out I wear a big heavy sweatshirt so nobody can see that I am not wearing a bra. This eliminated the rubbing under the breasts. I got some white flannel fabric and cut large pieces of it, and I keep a piece tucked under my breasts 24/7. When it seems to be getting damp, I change it for a dry one. I also put pieces of flannel under the apron of skin on my abdomen, and the skin holds it in place. I only put something under my right armpit when I sleep. But since I live alone, I do not use any deodorant unless I am going to be seeing somebody. Keeping everything clean and dry is the goal here. So I try not to use any creams or chemicals, etc. Just keep it dry. I see those obese people on TV shows, and they all put powder or cornstarch in the skin folds, I assume to help keep things dry, but if I did that I would sweat through it in 5 minutes and it would turn to paste. Ick! I have dozens of pieces of white flannel (no dyes), and change them regularly to keep dry. Try it, it may work for you too!

Comment from: Abi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I have very stubborn sweat intertrigo. I am not obese, I am very over gifted bust-wise, and at 68 they droop, and sweat forms. Bras are nylon, making sweating worse. I use a specialty bra shop for proper fit. No one makes cotton bras. I've tried large gauze squares underneath to absorb sweat, with corn starch, Nystop powder, every cream prescribed, Diflucan, clotrimazole, even going as far as opening 35 billion multi strain probiotic caps and sprinkling on the infected area; it spreads like wild fire in a couple of hours. I've tried a cotton sports bra with a covered band with the powders. Nothing stops the sweating, and the infections. I have had emergency room trips, and trips to skin doctor. Athlete's foot junk makes it spread faster as it is too weak. Even prednisone which I'm not supposed to use often, with the powders fail to stop it. Might clear it up to a pale pink looking stain, but in an hour of sweating it will be spread to the point of bleeding again. And I have to start over as it never ever truly goes away. I have gastroparesis/diverticulosis, fruit and juice are too high in sugar, and most vegetables are not digestible. I am not on any antibiotics.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 12

I am obese and sweat a lot under my breasts and groin but now I'm coming out in red circles, which look like rings and I know it's not ringworm, I wonder if it is intertrigo. But there are dry itchy patches which look worse after a shower. I can't stop scratching in my sleep even my eczema on my face seems worse. The scratch cycle goes on, infected skin from scratching. Strange thing is it is not on my legs or feet. I wonder if anyone else is getting these round patches and what works best to get rid of them.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter