Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Causes

What do you suspect or know was the cause of your insulin resistance? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Trish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed with low blood sugar at 23, I am now 54. I have yogi dieted all my life. Weighing anywhere from 145 to my current 205. When I lost weight the dieting had to be extreme. My symptoms occur immediately after I eat. They include light headedness, nausea, fatigue and foggy thinking. I have multiple myeloma cancer and am currently on chemotherapy and 20 ml of dexamethasone, a steroid, once a week. For the last 5 days I have experienced these symptoms to the degree I have been in bed for several days. My glucose was 90 but has been in the 60s before. My oncologist does not think it"s a blood sugar problem. He did not give me my chemotherapy yesterday as I was feeling so bad.

Comment from: Jan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

Prolonged stress caused adrenaline, cortisone and insulin levels to increase in my body. I have felt drowsy, sleepy, lethargic and also flighty, on edge and aggressive. My heart rate is inappropriately high and I now have to use a beta blocker to slow my heart rate down. I am using medication for the condition and have to look at life style too.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter