Patient Comments: Insulin Resistance - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with insulin resistance. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: fairlight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

Here are all my symptoms of insulin resistance. I have dark skin in my armpit area (very weird, I am fair skinned), and serious brain fog and short term memory issues that were scaring me to death as I make a living with my brain. I am 5 ft 6 inches, 207 pounds and an apple shape. I have tingling and numbness in my limbs especially at night, arms being the worst, and extreme tiredness always. My vision is deteriorating; worse at sometimes than others. I have skin tags, thinning hair at forehead, not sleeping well and low adrenals. I am so grateful to know what has been going on. At my age (62), I have been seriously wondering how much longer I could keep working in information technology when I know I must. I am now on a low carb diet, still in beginning phases, but these things have scared me enough that I am not likely to fall off the wagon. I really hope I can reverse this. Weight is coming down, I never have been able to lose since I put all this on 15 years ago.

Comment from: Momofjohn1, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 18

My son was diagnosed with insulin resistance about 4 weeks ago. For the last 2 years I knew there was a problem. No matter how little he ate or how much exercise he had, he continued to gain weight. I begged his pediatrician to refer us to a nutrition class for kids at the local children's hospital. At his last physical, his doctor finally ordered blood work for him. It came back at elevated levels. This qualified him for a referral to the endocrinologist, he was diagnosed, given metformin and vitamin D3 and he now has a nutritionist. He has lost 5 pounds in the last 4 weeks! He is doing great! Fight for your children!

Comment from: a concerned mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 24

My 11-year-old daughter was diagnosed with insulin resistance a year ago. No matter how much or little she ate, she continued to gain weight. Her thyroid levels were normal, and her pediatrician blamed her for the weight gain, telling her she needed to cut out the food. He told me to put her on a 1,000 calorie a day diet! I took her to a pediatric endocrinologist who immediately diagnosed her. She's been on Metformin, and so far, she has lost about 20 cm from her waist. She has more energy, and now loves to participate in sports that were almost impossible for her to do in the past. The treatment has been life-changing for her. She knows she will have this problem for the rest of her life. The only drawback is that the Metformin makes her nauseous, and I have to make sure she takes it daily. I want to tell all parents to listen to your intuition. If you see that no matter what your child does, he/she cannot lose weight/inches, insist on blood tests. Pay close attention to the insulin, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Don't let the pediatrician tell you it's nothing. Find a pediatric endocrinologist and have your child evaluated. You don't want to let this go untreated!

Comment from: Itt, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I'm a senior in high school and was diagnosed with insulin resistance in my freshman year. I have skin tags on my neck and very bad acanthosis nigricans (“a darkening and thickening of the skin”) on my neck and other areas of my body. I've been living with it and trying to get it under control for four years now, but it's hard. I have never had “healthy” eating habits, and I don't exercise as much as I should. I don't really have the motivation. Well, I haven't had it. Now that I'm getting ready to graduate high school and enter “the real world,” I'm more motivated to eat healthier and start working out. But it's not easy with the temptations. In fact, it's very difficult, being that I have very little self-control. Just today I bought one of those zebra cakes because it looked so good. It's hard, but I'm trying!

Published: August 01

I knew for some time that I had a problem with how things were metabolizing in my body. It was my perception that no matter WHAT I did as far as exercise and diet, I either did not LOSE weight, or I gained weight. My thyroid has been "checked" endlessly to no avail. I would get woozy and extremely grumpy if I hadn't eaten in a while. I knew I had a blood sugar issue. My grandmother died from complications of diabetes. I had to get someone to listen to me. My gynecologist finally did and referred me to a bariatric doctor. He reviewed blood tests he had ordered and my history. He interviewed me and asked me questions that seemed odd, but ultimately he got the information out of me he needed. He said I was insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome. He prescribed a low glycemic diet, a pedometer for keeping track of steps (and knowing to increase them), and he prescribed Metformin. In five weeks, I had learned how to control my intake of carbs, increase my exercise levels, and, most importantly, lost 8 pounds. I still crave bread and pasta, but I can control it. With the idea not of "I can't have that", but "I can have a little." Pasta can become a side dish and not the main (and whole course). Bread intake can be reduced to one slice and quite frankly, 7-grain or 9-grain bread is quite tasty. I'm on my way to a healthier me.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am a female, 68 years old. I'm 5'3” and 113 lb. I exercise every day and am very active. Recently I had A1C of 5.7 and blood glucose of 106. In everything that I have read regarding pre-diabetes they tell you to lose weight, exercise, give up soda, sweets, etc. My frustration is that I'm already thin, very active and have never smoked or consumed soda. I also don't drink alcohol.

Comment from: butle49056, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

Metformin did not work for me for insulin resistance and it has liver side effects. The best treatment is the right kind of exercise and the right kind of diet. Diet is plenty of healthy fats and healthy protein and greatly reduce carbs. Dietary intake of carbs is not necessary as glucose is made by the body from protein (in the liver). However it is impossible to eat zero carbs so carbs with a low glycemic index should be eaten such as green beans and green vegetables. Actually starches such as rice, potatoes, pasta, and wheat should really not be eaten. Only very low glycemic index fruits also. Actually most fruits should be restricted. A good aerobic exercise routine should be followed, that is, routinely followed at least 5 or 6 days a week of 30 minutes or more aerobics, jogs, fast walk, and bicycle; aerobic exercise that gets heart rate up fast enough and long enough (use heart rate formula according to age, search google for formula).

Comment from: jess, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

Since my daughter was born she was always larger in size than she should be. With every effort made in trying to get an answer I was told she should stop eating muffins. My child has been through so much and is continuing to struggle with insulin resistance. She has been on medication for the past 4 years, she has exercised and dieted and still she cannot lose weight. She loses some weight then cannot lose anymore. She is 15 years old and it saddens me to think there is no real answer for this. Doctors and professionals really need to investigate until something real is found.

Comment from: claytonokc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I am insulin resistant and have been for the past four years. I slipped a disk and then had a spinal fusion. I gained 100 pounds in three years after the back problems, and I had a brace to walk for almost a year. I have -- in the past two years -- lost 66 pounds and work out regularly for 45 minutes or more on my exercise bike. I have gone from eight pills a day to only one with diet and exercise. I have sleep apnea, and if I loose 40 more pounds, I may be able to get off the pills and CPAC. I have to watch and count everything I eat and I am working for that goal.

Comment from: mis-diagnosed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 26 years old and was just diagnosed with insulin resistance. When I was 16, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and congential adrenal hypoplasia. I was told that I would not be able to have kids and that I needed to wear a medical tag for the adrenal stuff. I have gone for 10 years now, not knowing that I had the insulin resistance and thinking that I could not have children. I found out all I have to do is exercise, watch carbohydrates and take Metformin and it will all be better. Metformin gives me diarrhea and emotional ups and downs, but I am trying to hang in there with it because my doctor said it is the best med for this problem. I also found out that I can have children; there is nothing wrong with my hormone levels for that. I have been obese, had skin problems, and excess hair like you wouldn't believe because I was mis-diagnosed. I could have had all this under control and probably had a child by now if I had the right diagnosis. I am still a little mad, but extremely thankful that I was finally diagnosed correctly. It has been about 2 months and I have been eating better, taking medications and exercising. I have lost 20 lbs. I just hit the 20 lb. mark today. I have looked back at all the signs and symptoms I have had over the years and wonder why nobody found this earlier. I have eaten so many carbohydrates over the years because I have had such an intense craving for them. It was nothing for me to sit and eat 3 or 4 candy bars in one setting, bread balls (gross huh), anything that had sugar and carbohydrates. I have trouble going to sleep and getting up in the mornings, trouble with fatigue. I do have a lot more energy and I am a lot happier as long as I don't have more carbohydrates then I am suppose too. I tend to get a little emotional and cranky if I sneak some extra carbohydrates. I just hope that people will read this and see if it sounds like them and maybe get help before something serious occurs.

Comment from: Vibola, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

My Insulin resistance started out as Hypoglycemia about 25 years ago. If I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, I knew I would be in trouble in about 2 1/2 hours! I would become very irritable and fatigued. Next, I would start sweating and get weak and faintly-feeling, all because of a stupid bowl of cereal. Foods like a baked potato or one apple would set me up. After I turned 30, the weight started piling on. Exercise did not do any good. I ate low fat meals with lots of vegetables. I still put on weight. I tested negative for diabetes. After doing much online research, I diagnosed myself with Metabolic Syndrome, also known as Insulin Resistance. The only way I can lose weight, is to keep my meals under 20 net carbs. Good carbs are the same as bad carbs to my system. I hate the Nutri-System commercials telling us there is a difference between the good and bad carbs. Not for me! I found a supplement I have just ordered that is supposed to improve insulin sensitivity. I hope it works for me, I am so frustrated. The supplement is R-Fraction ALA.

Comment from: Willie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 57 years old with multiple health problems. I have systemic lupus; it has affected my, lungs, liver, thyroid, and most of my joints. I have been on chemotherapy for life threatening asthma. I currently take 28 different medications a day for heart, lung, diabetes, lupus, and graves disease. I broke my ankle in 3 places 3years ago, which has collapsed, so exercise is limited. I wear a brace to help me walk, I also have SVT and my resting pulse is usually around 120-140. I am extremely insulin resistant and currently take Actos, and Humalog insulin 3 times a day 120-130 units each time and use a sliding scale if needed. I also take Lantus 110 units 2 times a day. My insurance company is refusing to pay for more than 4 vials a day and cost will be about 1250 dollars a month, which I don't have.

Comment from: Barbee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am now 65 and have been struggling for years with low blood sugar and weight. My doctors never believe me when I tell them I AM dieting and exercising and I am not losing weight or I lose initially and then while still on the diet gain it all back. Imagine how frustrating that is. I am currently following the Atkins diet because I can no longer tolerate carbohydrates. I get lose bowels, flatulence and extreme gas pains when I eat carbs. So I've been on Atkins since May. I started losing about 1/2 lb a week. I went from 223 to 209 then suddenly without a change in the diet started gaining it all back. I'm currently 217. Almost back where I started. Later life diabetes runs in my family. My maternal grandmother had it, my father had it, and now my sister has it. I just had a fasting blood test and my reading was 110. That is very high for someone who has suffered with low blood sugar for year. I had twice taken the 6 hour glucose tolerance test and my blood sugar dropped from 100 to 45 between the 4th and 5th hour. I tell my doctor all my symptoms, but all that she tells me is to go to weight watchers because you have to burn up all the calories you eat. (Been there done that... but she doesn't believe me.) I think I need to see someone that is more familiar with this type of illness. What type of doctor would that be? I have high blood pressure and my cholesterol was high, but since on the Atkins it has gone down from 220 to about 210.

Comment from: Celiac Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and if that were not bad enough I began gaining weight at a rapid pace. I exercised 6 days a week and eat only 800 to a 1000 calories a day and still I gained weight. After seeing more doctors than I would like to in a life time, it was my OBGYN that finally checked my insulin levels and to everyone's surprise I was at almost 300. In doing research I have found that Celiac disease has a role in insulin resistance and even though we (Celiacs) do not eat anything with wheat, rye, oats or barley we can still develop diabetes and other autoimmune diseases. If you have insulin resistance you might want to check and see if you have Celiac disease.

Comment from: carniesmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I am a 34 year old female who was recently diagnosed as insulin resistant. I am a competitive tennis player and get lots of exercise. I am not really overweight, although I always feel about 10-15 pounds heavier than I need to be. I complained to my gynecologist that I always felt like I had a yeast infection. At first she blamed it on being in wet tennis clothes so often. I did everything that I could to not be in the clothes. I was treated for yeast over and over. Then I started to complain that after 50 consecutive days of yeast treatment, I felt that if I were off of the medication for a day or two symptoms were recurring. I had a history of diabetes in my family and shared this info with my doctor. Everyone who knew me well also knew that I had to eat or I would get sick and very grouchy. Finally my doctor orders a 3 hour blood glucose test that confirmed that I was insulin resistant and the blood sugar issues were causing the yeast problems. Since I already was on a whole grain diet and got lots of exercise, my doctor prescribed metformin. I have only been on it a couple of days so I can't tell you how it is working yet. I can only tell you that I am happy to have found a reason for my problems.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

What isn't clear here is what is actually happening to the insulin receptors during insulin resistance. The receptors are getting damaged and that is why the muscles do not hear the knock as well. I have found with my Type 1 diabetic son that wheat/gluten/dairy cause damage to the insulin receptors. When these foods are omitted his need for insulin diminishes. Periodically, he would need an entire unit of Humalog to cover his meal instead of .5 as normal. Having had omitted wheat/gluten/dairy I was perplexed until I found out that there was an unlabeled ingredient in his vanilla and chocolate flavored Splenda soy milk. Once I stopped that food item his insulin became more sensitive again. Quite often he doesn't need any Humalog to cover dinner if he's active. I thought I would share this with you in hopes that more research would be done to determine what foods damage those receptors. It may be more complex than that, meaning, not all foods affect each of us the same. Nonetheless, this avenue should be researched.

Published: June 30

I am 67 years old and very active. I am a master herbalist and nutritionist, so I always thought I was eating healthy. I eat lean meats, low-fat dairy and no trans fats. I also counted fiber and made sure I ate a minimum of 30 grams of fiber a day so I was eating whole grains and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I walk several miles three to four times a week, garden, swim, kayak and play tennis. But the weight just would not come off. Then I began having problems with my knees and knew it was from weight. My annual physicals and blood work for cholesterol, triglicerides, sugar levels, etc. have always been normal as well as my blood pressure. At my last physical in April, I told my family physician who specializes in endocrinology that in spite of my lifestyle and diet, I was slowly gaining additional weight. She concluded that I am insulin resistant because of the quantity of natural carbs in the whole grains and fruits and vegetables I was eating. I also have many skin tags, both flat and with stems. She prescribed 500 mg of metformin, two times a day and a food regimen that consists of only 20 carbs a day. Also, she put me on an anti-spastic bladder medication and 5 mg. of aphrazolom to help me sleep at least eight hours without interruption. Since April, I have lost 20 lbs, my appetite has decreased, my cravings for carbs has totally diminished, and I have more energy than I have had in a long time. Even the pain in my knees is gone. Last week, the lab work showed kidney and liver functions to be normal and sugar levels are normal. It has been quite an experience for me to change my diet and to count carbs instead of fiber and fats. Now my younger daughter has been diagnosed with insulin resistance by the same doctor and my two granddaughters have weight problems and skin tags. Both of my grandmothers were overweight and both ate a lot of carbs. If the gene for insulin resistance is hereditary, it must be in my family.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was recently diagnosed insulin resistance. It came as quite a shock. I have yearly physicals & my blood work was always excellent. Well, of course my fasting sugar was normal - but my pancreas was working overtime to get it there. I went to a nutritionist because I always felt that I couldn't lose weight and steadily, but on 10 pounds a year for 6 years. So glad that I went to see the nutritionist. I would have been in the dark until I actually had diabetes. I chose to alter my diet & not take medication. My intake of sugar is around 20g per day. I am working on increasing my protein intake. It's been a little over a month, and I'm not craving sugar (did not add any artificial sweetener either), working on getting carbs even lower although I have given up most bread products. I will get wheat if I need to. I am exercising regularly now. The diagnosis sufficiently scared me to turn me around. My mother is diabetic and obese, my grandmother is diabetic and has health issues related to diabetes. I don't want to be on medications for the rest of my life. My nutritionist believes that I will get the insulin resistance under control. I miss fruit and Starbucks, but living longer is more important. I wanted to tell everyone I know to get their insulin level checked, but most people live in a state of denial - i'll pretend this isn't happening and ignore it as long as possible. I track all my food with My Fitness Pal app, it is really helpful.

Comment from: Suzya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance a couple of years ago. However, what was I was not told was how bad it could be. What all the symptoms were. What foods I should avoid. I was prescribed Metformin however this made me sick and therefore went off it. When I was in my late teens I went to a hormone specialist and was told that I would have problems becoming pregnant and that I would always be overweight and there was not a lot I could do about it. I believe that all along I have been Insulin Resistance. As a teenager I was extremely active exercising up to 3 hours a day yet still had the belly. I also have dirty spots on my elbows and back of the next and a few skin tags. What I would like to know is if there is a way to avoid being insulin resistant or is it part of your makeup. I have 3 kids and while at the moment they are all fit and in healthy weight ranges I want to know if there is anything I should be avoiding? Does eating lots of white bread, pasta etc cause it? Insulin Resistance is very unknown and I believe more studies need to be carried out in this area.

Comment from: Fred, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Hi my experience with insulin resistance first happened when I was at a good weight then all of a sudden my weight went up 1kilo a day till I weighed 89 kilos.It was finally diagnosed.I was on glucophage XL for quite a while then the endocrinologist said 3 tablets of glucophage was not enough he wanted me to go up to 2500mg but that made me vomit, so went on Victosa for a month which really helped weight loss but the frightening side effects made me quit, now back on 2000mg of glucophage, too early to see if I will now loose weight again we wait and see. at the present I am 75 kilos but wanting to be 65 .Blood tests say I am too high yet.I do use accu-chek as well to monitor levels.

Comment from: pj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

Recently, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance (IR). I was prescribed metformin. I've read reviews about it, and it appears to be the safest to take as a diabetic med. I am also vitamin-D deficient, so I take a supplement once a week (50,000 units). I hate taking pills, as I read about so many risks. I need to get past my concern for all these meds. My parents are both deceased – my mother had breast cancer and my father had COPD. My sister has diabetes and my brother has high blood pressure. I just recently got a job so that I could get health insurance. I am having problems, as I am up to 300 pounds.

Comment from: speedy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was just diagnosed with (IR) and can't believe it took this long to find out what was wrong with me. I have fainted since age 6, was diagnosed as having pre-diabetes, had kidney cancer, a heart attack, atherosclerosis, migraines, a high white blood cell count, and could not lose weight even with exercise. I also had gastrointestinal disease and gained weight on diets, among other things. My doctor advised that I don't need a blood glucose monitoring system, but I'm going to seek other opinion.

Comment from: krmg2705, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 53 year old woman with hyperthyroidism, high blood pressure, depression, obesity, restless leg syndrome, iron deficiency, not in menopause, and arthritic. In the last year and a half I have gained 40 lbs. no matter how I ate or exercised. Every time I went to my family doctor I would ask her why this was happening and she never gave me an answer other then find a weight loss program that worked for me. One week ago I went to my gynecologist to discuss why I had not had a period in 1 1/2 years and explained how I gained so much weight. In 5 minutes of talking to him he suggested insulin resistance and ordered all the necessary tests as well as checking me for menopause and hyperthyroidism. Today I received the news that not only am I insulin resistance but my thyroid medication needed to be changed and unfortunately I am not going through menopause.

Comment from: Desperate Mom, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My daughter is 28 years old. She has always been small in weight. At the age of 16, the doctors said she had Gilbert's disease, which sounds worse than it really is. It can get scary when her eyes turn yellow though! Now we are told she is insulin resistant. The medicine they put her on makes her really sick, and she can't keep losing weight. She weighs 85 pounds now. Everyone I hear about with IR struggles with obesity, so we are totally confused.

Comment from: shousley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

With my experience with insulin resistance (IR), I was tested a few years ago by my primary doctor who also studies bariatrics. I did not get on any medication. I am 55 years old now, and I can't lose weight. I need to lose 30 pounds. Currently, I weigh 185. I am 5 feet, seven inches tall. I always crave carbs and sweets: candy, cookies, crackers, baked potatoes, and fries. About eight years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Before that, I worked out six days a week I still try to do something, but I'm just so tired. I also notice grumpiness when I get hungry. That has been going on since I was 30, and I was not overweight then.

Comment from: aafa8943, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance several years ago. My primary care doctor gave me glucophage, and even the low dose made me green around the gills. I am in a safety sensitive job and couldn't work due to nausea that never went away while on the glucophage. I went to an endocrinologist who also does metabolic research. I am now only taking byetta for insulin resistance. Ask your doctor about it. It is in shot form but it has mine under control.

Comment from: megstoo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 28 year old female who is insulin resistant. It started when I was diagnosed with PCOS which infertility. I struggled with losing weight and constantly had my thyroid checked to figure out that it was in check. While being insulin resistant I've had to keep with my work out schedule of 4 to 5 times a week for over an hour each time. If I don't workout the weight creeps back on. Recently I had my blood checked to start Accutane for my acne (caused from PCOS) and this came back incredibility high for cholesterol and triglycerides. At that time it was determined again that I was insulin resistant. It's been a lifestyle change for me. I always work out, I never smoke, drink and I watch what I eat but it's not enough. What a lot of people don't understand is that being insulin resistant is very hard to control with or without medicine you are always having to watch what you put in your mouth.

Comment from: Diabetic pain, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 57 and type 2 insulin resistant. I no longer can take Metformin due to daily diarrhea for 6 months. This was before the doctor realized it was the medicine causing the diarrhea. Once I stopped the Metformin no more severe diarrhea. The Lantus and Novalog dosage has increased now, but I am still having a tough time getting my blood sugar regulated. I have increased exercise and cutting carbs, but no luck so far.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: February 19

I believe I have insulin resistance; I am 20 years old and can't seem to ever lose weight. I exercise 5-7 days a week and do not eat over 1200 calories a day. Diabetes runs in my family and my body is an avocado shape so I am more prone to insulin resistance. I just recently got high blood pressure and that is with the good diet and exercise. I have always been a bigger girl and the weight constantly crept on, I am 200 lbs now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: February 19

I am 31 years old and I was overweight before high school, lost weight during high school - due to playing sports - , and after one year of cheerleading in college, the weight piled on from there. I am 5'1" and I weighed 115 in high school and was very muscular. Now I weigh 220 seventeen years later. I love to eat. I crave sweets, potatoes, corn, and anything starchy. I have zero energy. I have skin tags, dark places in the folds of my skin, and polycystic ovaries. I have been diagnosed by my fertility doctor with Insulin Resistance. I came on this web site to see what I needed to eat to be healthier and to be able to lose weight.

Comment from: brandx, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My step daughters were overweight, had skin and hair problems, one also had period problems. The dermatologist, gynaec and pediatrician missed the actual cause. I took them to a dietician who identified the problem right away! She showed me the tell tale signs like the dark ring on the neck, apple shaped body etc. I see kids with the problems and just cant help telling even the strangers so that they don't have to suffer for years like my daughters did!

Comment from: Eliza123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was never overweight until after my 2nd child was born. I have "dirty" spots on my knuckles, knees, and elbows. I suffer from extreme fatigue. Diet with no weight loss and also I have been an endocrine patient (for my thyroid) since the age of nine. Could I have insulin resistance or another problem for which I also have the symptoms-non classic congenital adrenal Hyper-plasia (or hypo I can't remember which one it was that I read).

Comment from: dizzi-mum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm a 37 year old mom with severe insulin resistance my doctors cannot seem to control it. If anyone has any advice I'd be so grateful I'm of normal weight due to low GI diet but I am not on any meds at the moment as they made me ill.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter