Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream into muscle and other tissues. There are no signs or symptoms of insulin resistance. Causes of insulin can include conditions such as stress, obesity, metabolic syndrome, and steroid use.
Some of the risk factors for insulin resistance include fatty liver, heart disease, strokes, peripheral vascular disease, high cholesterol, and smoking. Treatment for insulin resistance are lifestyle changes and if necessary, medication.Read more: Insulin Resistance Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Fat and Fats Quiz: Fatty Food & Body Fat Percentage
Take this online Fat & Fats Quiz to learn if you really are what you eat!...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Picture of Acanthosis Nigricans
A skin condition characterized by dark thickened velvety patches, especially in the folds of skin in the axilla (armpit), groin...
Diet for Stress Management: Carbs, Nuts, and Other Stress-Relief Foods
While there are many ways to cope with stress, one strategy is to eat stress-fighting foods. Find out which foods to eat as part...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
Portion Control Tips: Lose Weight and Stick to Your Diet
Portion control can help with weight loss and help you stick to a healthy diet. But how much is too much? This photo guide will...
Tips to Eat Healthy When You Dine Out in Pictures
Recognize the dangers of eating out and stay on your healthy diet at restaurants. Learn about healthy eating at restaurants,...
Diet-Wrecking Foods: Smoothies, Lattes, Popcorn, and More in Pictures
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 23 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Worst-Appetizer Pictures: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Healthy Dieting Myths and Facts
Learn about healthy dieting myths and facts. Can't tell fact from fiction about weight loss and healthy eating? Discover the...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
Learn 13 easy ways to add more greens to your diet. Discover how to add kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and more into your diet....
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Healthy Eating: 16 Resolutions for Better Habits
Is eating better one of your New Year's resolutions? Get tips for healthier eating habits to incorporate into daily life...
Related Disease Conditions
Insulin Resistance Syndrome
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
A skin tag is a small benign growth of skin that projects from the surrounding skin. Skin tags can vary in appearance (smooth,...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2, List of Foods to Eat and Avoid)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too...
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Human Insulin as Good as Costly Synthetic Versions
- Health Tip: Kids and Type 2 Diabetes
- Protein Deposits Seem to Play Role in Type 2 Diabetes
- Could a Little Alcohol Lower Your Diabetes Risk?
- Suicide by Insulin?
- Diabetes Continues Its Relentless Rise
- A Warming Planet Might Mean More Diabetes
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Too Much Screen Time May Raise Kids' Diabetes Risk
- Youth With Type 2 Diabetes Often Face Complications
- Timing of Your Meals Might Reduce Heart Risks
- Study Boosts Theory That Fewer Calories Can Extend Life
- Wearable Sensors May Spot Illness Before Symptoms Start
- Sleep Loss Tied to Changes in Gut Bacteria
- Low-Carb Diet May Aid Your Metabolism
- Daily Can of Soda Boosts Odds for Prediabetes, Study Finds
- Too Much Iron Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Health Tip: Health Risks of Childhood Obesity
- 'Spare Tire' May Be Tougher on Your Heart Than 'Love Handles'
- Bodybuilders' Steroid Abuse Linked to Pre-Diabetic Condition
- Diabetes Drug Victoza Might Not Help Advanced Heart Failure Patients
- Healthy Fats Can Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Does Fat-Storing Hormone Cause Obesity?
- Widely Used Type 2 Diabetes Drug May Reduce Cancer Death Risk
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Underactive Thyroid May Raise Odds for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Sleep Loss May Be Tied to Raised Diabetes Risk in Teen Boys
- Pre-Pregnancy Potato Consumption Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Losing Pancreas Fat May Treat Type 2 Diabetes
- Endurance Athletes May Pay Physical Price
- Metformin May Not Help Obese Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- Very High-Calorie Diets Show How Overeating May Lead to Diabetes
- Exercise, Supplements Like Fish Oil Won't Keep Elderly Sharper: Studies
- Active As Teen, Free of Diabetes In Later Life?
- High Blood Sugar May Boost Alzheimer's Risk
- Healthy Diet May Help Shield the Aging Brain
- High Soda Intake May Boost Diabetes Risk, Even Without Obesity
- Dropping One Sugary Soda a Day Could Cut Diabetes Risk: Study
- Why Insulin Resistance May Be More Common in Men
- Latest Diabetes Care Guidelines Focus on Individual Approach
- Mom's Age at Childbirth Tied to Son's Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Unhealthy Insulin Levels May Boost Breast Cancer Risk
- Cooler Temps May Boost Calorie-Burning 'Brown Fat,' Mouse Study Suggests
- Study Reinforces Link Between Low Birth Weight, Diabetes Risk
- Study Debunks Notion of 'Healthy Obesity'
- More Children in the U.S. Are Getting Type 1 Diabetes
- Exercise Might Not Help Some Type 2 Diabetics Control Their Blood Sugar
- Kidney, Urinary Birth Defects Tied to Obesity in Moms-to-Be
- Metformin Beats Other Type 2 Diabetes Drugs for First Treatment: Study
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- Obesity May Speed Aging of the Liver, Study Suggests
- Can Exercise Prevent Type 2 Diabetes? Your Genes May Be Key
- Weight Loss Surgery: Diabetes Cure?
- Healthy 'Brown Fat' May Cut Odds for Obesity, Diabetes
- Study Links Shift Work to Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- 1 in 10 Moms-to-Be Develop Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes: CDC
- Diabetes Drug May Spur Weight Loss in Obese Nondiabetics
- Kids' Diabetes Rates Up Dramatically in 8 Years, Study Finds
- Could More Coffee Lower Your Odds for Diabetes?
- Too Little Sleep May Add to Teen Health Problems
- Clues to Type 2 Diabetes Discovered on Mount Everest
- Health Tip: Understand Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Chocolate, Tea, Berries May Cut Diabetes Risk: Study
- Chest Implant Might Help With Hard-to-Treat Sleep Apnea
- Diabetes Drug Metformin Tied to Slight Weight Loss in Obese Kids
- 'Healthy' Obesity May Still Carry Higher Health Risks
- Gardening, Housework May Help Boost Your Heart Health
- Cinnamon May Help Ease Common Cause of Infertility, Study Says
- Study May Help Explain Delay of Heart Disease in Women
- Antipsychotic Drugs May Triple Kids' Diabetes Risk, Study Suggests
- Plastics Chemicals May Boost Kids' Risk for Obesity, Diabetes
- Diabetes Doesn't Seem to Affect Alzheimer's Disease Progression
- Pain Reliever Lowers Blood Sugar in Type 2 Diabetics, Study Says
- South Asian Men May Need More Exercise to Stay Healthy: Study
- Skipping Breakfast May Raise Diabetes Risk
- FDA Mulls Lifting Tight Safety Limits on Diabetes Drug Avandia
- Hysterectomy May Not Raise Heart Risks After All: Study
- Study Suggests Link Between Hormone Melatonin and Type 2 Diabetes
- Countries With More Sugar in Food Supply Have More Diabetes
- Saving Carbs for Dinnertime Might Help Control Weight
- Study Examines Link Between Breast Cancer and Diabetes
- Brown Fat Transplants May Spur Weight Loss
- Can Teens' Lack of Sleep Lead to Diabetes?
- Mouse Study Offers Clues to Obesity-Diabetes Link
- Obese Boys, Impotent Men?
- Millions May Be Taking Vitamin D Unnecessarily, Analysis Suggests
- Sleepless Nights Might Raise Odds for Diabetes
- Stem Cell Transplant May Spur Heart Disease Risk: Study
- Changes in Intestinal Bacteria Linked to Type 2 Diabetes
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Belly Fat Adds to Diabetes Risk in Obese Adults, Study Finds
- Aerobic Exercise Cuts Kids' Diabetes Risk: Study
- Scientists ID Gene for Insulin Sensitivity
- Hispanics May Face Higher Risk for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Belly Fat May Hit Your Heart the Hardest
- 'Atkins'-Type Diets May Raise Risk of Heart Problems: Study
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Raised Diabetes Risk
- Some Diabetics May Not Benefit From Daily Aspirin
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Missing Treatment Goals: Study
- C-Section May Hike Risk for Toddlers' Obesity, Study Suggests
- Mouse Study Hints at New Path for Diabetes Treatment
- Shift Work May Set Stage for Obesity and Diabetes
- Mom's Health While Pregnant Linked to Autism Risk
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Could Trans Fats Make You Cranky?
- Insulin Resistance May Lead to Kidney Disease in the Elderly: Study
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise Against Cushing's Disease
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise Against Type 2 Diabetes
- Too Much Fructose Sweetener Tied to Heart Risks in Teens
- Heart Failure, Diabetes Might Be Linked by Protein
- Insulin-Linked Hormone May Also Raise Alzheimer's Risk
- Apnea Treatment Might Reduce Signs of Heart Disease Risk
- Low Vitamin D May Raise Diabetes Risk in Kids
- Coffee May Cut Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Experimental Drug Slims Obese Monkeys
- Not All Belly Fat Is Bad for the Heart
- Gastric Bypass May Improve Diabetes Quickly
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Rates Rising in U.S.
- Why Some May Avoid Type 1 Diabetes Complications
- Diabetes Drug Actos May Also Help Prediabetes
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Blood Test May Predict Risk of Diabetes
- New Insight on Weight Gain After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- What's the Best Test for Children's Diabetes?
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk
- Psoriasis, Heart Disease, and Diabetes: What's the Link?
- Child's Waist Size Indicates Future Health Risks
- Vitamin D Levels at Birth May Predict Obesity Risk