- What is insulin, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for insulin?
- Do I need a prescription for insulin?
- What are the uses for insulin?
- What are the side effects of insulin?
- What is the dosage for insulin?
- Is insulin safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about insulin?
What is insulin, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Insulin is a naturally-occurring hormone secreted by the pancreas. Insulin is required by the cells of the body in order for them to remove and use glucose from the blood. Cells use glucose to produce energy that they need to carry out their functions. Researchers first gave an active extract of the pancreas containing insulin to a young diabetic patient in 1922, and the FDA first approved insulin in 1939. Currently, insulin used for treatment is derived from beef and pork pancreas as well as recombinant (man-made) technology. The first recombinant human insulin was approved by the FDA in 1982.
- People with diabetes mellitus have a reduced ability to take up and use glucose from the blood, and, as a result, the glucose level in the blood rises. In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin. Therefore, insulin therapy is needed. In type 2 diabetes, patients produce insulin, but cells throughout the body do not respond normally to the insulin. Nevertheless, insulin also may be used in type 2 diabetes to overcome the resistance of the cells to insulin. By increasing the uptake of glucose by cells and reducing the concentration of glucose in the blood, insulin prevents or reduces the long-term complications of diabetes, including damage to the blood vessels, eyes, kidneys, and nerves. Insulin is administered by injection under the skin (subcutaneously). The subcutaneous tissue of the abdomen is preferred because absorption of the insulin is more consistent from this location than subcutaneous tissues in other locations.
What are the uses for insulin?
What are the side effects of insulin?
- Heart palpitations
- Numbness around the mouth
- Tingling in the fingers
- Muscle weakness
- Blurred vision
- Cold temperature
- Excessive yawning
- Loss of consciousness
Patients may experience blurred vision if they have had elevated blood sugar levels for a prolonged period of time and then have the elevated levels rapidly brought to normal. This is due to a shift of fluid within the lens of the eye. Over time, vision returns to normal. Other side effects that may occur include headaches, skin reactions (redness, swelling, itching or rash at the site of injection), worsening of diabetic retinopathy, changes in the distribution of body fat (lipodystrophy), allergic reactions, sodium retention, and general body swelling. Insulin causes weight gain and may reduce potassium blood levels. In addition to these side effects, inhaled insulin (Afrezza) may cause throat pain or irritation and cough and patients should inform their healthcare professional of any unresolved symptoms affecting the lungs for follow up.
What is the dosage for insulin?
The abdomen is the preferred site for insulin injection, but the sites of injection must be rotated in order to prevent erosion of the fat beneath the skin, a condition called lipodystrophy. Dosing is adjusted for each patient. A combination of short acting/rapid acting and intermediate insulin or long acting insulin are typically used.
Is insulin safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about insulin?
How should I keep insulin stored?
- Unopened insulin should be stored between 2 C and 8 C (36 F and 46 F); it should not be placed in a freezer.
- Insulin vials that are being used can be kept at room temperature for up to a month.
- All vials should be protected from sunlight and excessive heat.
- Unused insulin should be thrown away after the expiration date.
- The vials should never be shaken.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Protein Quiz: Foods High in Protein
Protein is a staple in our diets, but what happens if we get too much? Take this quiz to find out the truth about protein and...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Salt Quiz: Test Your Diet IQ
Do you love salt? Take the online Salt Quiz to get the facts about dietary salts and sodium in fruits, vegetables, processed...
Type 1 Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes? Take this quiz and challenge your knowledge of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
13 Easy Ways to Eat More Greens
Learn 13 easy ways to add more greens to your diet. Discover how to add kale, spinach, broccoli rabe and more into your diet....
12 Reasons to Love the Mediterranean Diet in Pictures
The Mediterranean diet is a delicious way to eat healthy. We show you how to get the most from this diet with foods like olive...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar) Symptoms, Levels, Diet and Causes
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Drug Allergy (Medication Allergy)
Drug or medication allergies are caused when the immune system mistakenly creates an immune response to a medication. Symptoms of...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Common Medical Abbreviations List (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too low...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Superfoods FAQs
- Sugar FAQs
- Diabetes FAQs
- Salt FAQs
- Protein FAQs
- Type 2 Diabetes FAQs
- Type 1 Diabetes FAQs
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Diabetes Report From The National ADA Meeting 2003
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Diabulimia - Eating Disorder
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- Diabetes Type I...Insulin Therapy
- 11 Diabetes Diet Tips for the Holidays
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Storing Insulin in Home Fridges May Lower Effectiveness
- New Hormonal Link Suspected in Type 2 Diabetes
- Human Insulin as Good as Costly Synthetic Versions
- Will the Future Be Needle-Free for Diabetics?
- Aggressive Treatment Doesn't Slow Type 2 Diabetes in Children: Study
- Federal Government Must Tackle Rising Insulin Prices: AMA
- A Young Life Lost to High Insulin Prices
- Glucose Monitoring System Eliminates Need for Finger Pricks
- Diabetes Threatens Kidneys, Vision of Millions of Americans
- Immunotherapy Shown Safe in Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Trial
- Engineered Skin Cells Control Type 2 Diabetes in Mice: Study
- More Than 100 Million Americans Have Diabetes or Prediabetes: CDC
- New Diabetes Treatment Teaches Rogue Immune Cells to Behave
- Medication Mistakes Have Doubled in U.S. Since 2000: Study
- Exercising Safely With Diabetes
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Still Make Some Insulin
- For Diabetics, Nasal Powder Fixed Severe Low Blood Sugar
- Can Folks With Type 2 Diabetes Forgo the Finger Stick?
- Suicide by Insulin?
- Nevada Bill Aims to Limit Insulin Costs
- When Is It Safe to Drive With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetes Continues Its Relentless Rise
- 10 Minutes of Sweat a Day Helps Kids' Hearts
- A Warming Planet Might Mean More Diabetes
- Obesity in Youth Tied to Higher Odds for Liver Cancer in Men
- Intensive Treatment Shows Potential Against Type 2 Diabetes
- Too Much Screen Time May Raise Kids' Diabetes Risk
- Another Obesity Downside: Higher Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Youth With Type 2 Diabetes Often Face Complications
- Another Study Ties Obesity to Certain Cancers
- Government Funding Could Save Canadians $4 Billion on Medicines
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Obese Patients Beat Diabetes
- Dealing With Diabetes Distress
- Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes Poses Risks for Mom, Baby
- Air Pollution May Raise Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Steep Price Increases for Opioid Overdose Antidote
- Timing of Your Meals Might Reduce Heart Risks
- Insulin Makers Conspired to Raise Prices: Lawsuit
- Mary Tyler Moore: Diabetes Patient and Advocate
- Even One High-Fat Meal Can Harm Your Liver, Study Finds
- High-Tech Blood Sugar Monitors May Help People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Language Barrier May Keep Some Hispanics From Good Diabetes Care
- Most Cow's Milk Baby Formulas Don't Up Risk of Type 1 Diabetes
- Study Ties Inflammation, Gut Bacteria to Type 1 Diabetes
- 1 in 3 Adults Diagnosed With Asthma May Not Have It: Study
- Study Boosts Theory That Fewer Calories Can Extend Life
- Wearable Sensors May Spot Illness Before Symptoms Start
- Common Virus May Have Ties to Type 1 Diabetes
- High Health Care Deductibles Take Toll on Family Finances
- FDA OKs High-Tech Diabetes Device to Help Replace Fingerstick Tests
- Health Tip: Prepare for Travel With Diabetes
- Sleep Loss Tied to Changes in Gut Bacteria
- Rising Price of Opioid OD Antidote Could Cost Lives: Study
- Low-Carb Diet May Aid Your Metabolism
- Insulin Prices Skyrocket, Putting Many Diabetics in a Bind
- These Medicines Often Send Americans to ERs
- Low Blood Sugar Linked to Death Risk for Hospital Patients
- Can Protein, Probiotics Help With Blood Sugar Control?
- Tracking Blood Sugar in Pregnancy Might Lower Heart Defect Risk for Baby
- Health Tip: Creating an Insulin Routine
- Daily Can of Soda Boosts Odds for Prediabetes, Study Finds
- Too Much Iron Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Some Want a Federal Investigation as Insulin Prices Rise
- Experimental Medicine Might Rescue People With Drug-Resistant HIV
- New Guidelines Urge Diabetics to Move More
- Exercise Can Help Manage Type 1 Diabetes
- High-Protein Diets May Not Help Fend Off Diabetes: Study
- Health Tip: Exercise Safely With Diabetes
- Children With Diabetes Can Have Bright Future
- 'Artificial Pancreas' Approved for Type 1 Diabetes
- 'Spare Tire' May Be Tougher on Your Heart Than 'Love Handles'
- Stress Might Undercut Benefits of Healthy Diet for Women
- Bodybuilders' Steroid Abuse Linked to Pre-Diabetic Condition
- Heart Docs: Never Expose Kids to Cigarette Smoke
- Pilots on Insulin Therapy Can Safely Fly Commercial Planes: Study
- Older Drug May Help Type 1 Diabetics' Heart Health
- Fried, Grilled or Baked Foods? They May Affect Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Mouse Study Suggests Antibiotics in Kids Might Help Spur Type 1 Diabetes
- Health Tip: The Pluses of Using an Insulin Pump
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- Health Tip: Ease Arthritis Pain With Warm Water
- Which Diabetes Drug Is Best?
- Healthy Fats Can Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Sufficient Sleep May Help Protect Men Against Diabetes: Study
- 'Hacking' a Diabetes Cure?
- Diabetes Drug Victoza May Help the Heart: Study
- Intensive Blood Sugar Control May Be Too Much for Some With Type 2 Diabetes
- More Evidence That Smog a Heart Threat
- Exercise May Cut Risk of 13 Cancers, Study Suggests
- Does Fat-Storing Hormone Cause Obesity?
- Could Infant Colds, Other Infections Raise Type 1 Diabetes Risk?
- Gotta Minute? Get a Good Workout
- Study Ties Certain Mouth Germs to Pancreatic Cancer Risk
- Alcohol, Processed Meats May Raise Stomach Cancer Risk
- Metformin Safer for Heart Than Other Common Type 2 Diabetes Drugs: Study
- Widely Used Type 2 Diabetes Drug May Reduce Cancer Death Risk
- Cost of Insulin Rises Threefold in Just a Decade: Study
- Weight-Loss Surgery May Help Control Type 2 Diabetes in Long Run
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Underactive Thyroid May Raise Odds for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Epilepsy Risk, Study Suggests
- More Evidence Diabetes Drug Actos Raises Bladder Cancer Risk a Bit
- Hormone Exposure in Womb May Boost Later Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- A Wearable Patch Might Help Manage Diabetes Painlessly
- Diabetes May Raise Risk for Dangerous Staph Infection
- Triggers for Hyperglycemia
- Fitness in Youth May Be Key to Diabetes Risk Decades Later
- Is Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Raised Risk of Certain Cancers?
- Sleep Loss May Be Tied to Raised Diabetes Risk in Teen Boys
- Diabetes Drug May Not Help Obese Women Have Normal-Weight Babies
- Sleepless Nights Might Raise Women's Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- New Transplant Technique Might Free Type 1 Diabetics From Daily Injections
- Catch-Up Sleep May Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Risk Tied to Sleep Loss: Study
- Pre-Pregnancy Potato Consumption Linked to Gestational Diabetes
- Artificial Pancreas to Get Long-Term 'Real-Life' Trial
- Losing Pancreas Fat May Treat Type 2 Diabetes
- More U.S. Kids Have Type 1 Diabetes, But Researchers Don't Know Why
- Nasal Spray May Give Diabetics Faster Treatment for Low Blood Sugar
- Infant Weight Gain Linked to Possible Type 1 Diabetes Risk
- Endurance Athletes May Pay Physical Price
- Could Energy Drink 'Shots' Raise Teens' Diabetes Risk?
- New Diabetes Cases Among Americans Drop for First Time in Decades: CDC
- Metformin May Not Help Obese Teens With Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes: An Unrelenting Disease
- Newborn Probiotic Use Tied to Lower Risk of Type 1 Diabetes
- Insulin Pumps Give Kids With Type 1 Diabetes Better Blood Sugar Control
- Despite Advances, Type 2 Diabetics Still Face Elevated Death Risk: Study
- Cutting Sugar From Diet Boosts Kids' Health Immediately: Study
- Infant Heart Defect May Be Linked to Pre-Diabetic Sugar Levels in Pregnancy
- New Clues to How Gene Affects Women's Body Shape, Diabetes Risk
- Red Wine Boosts Heart Health in Type 2 Diabetes
- Higher-Protein Diet May Help Some With Type 2 Diabetes
- Sweetened Drinks May Damage Heart, Review Finds
- Exposure to BPA in Pregnancy Tied to Low Birth Weight in Girls: Study
- Taking Blood Pressure Drugs at Night May Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
- Artificial Pancreas Works Well in Home Trial
- Very High-Calorie Diets Show How Overeating May Lead to Diabetes
- Health Tip: Choosing the Right Insulin Injection Site
- FDA Warns of Joint Pain Tied to Common Type 2 Diabetes Drugs
- Exercise, Supplements Like Fish Oil Won't Keep Elderly Sharper: Studies
- Insulin Pumps Nearly Halve Risk of Heart Disease Death for Type 1 Diabetics
- Type 2 Diabetes Linked to Language Problems in Women
- More Evidence That Southern Cooking Boosts Heart Risk
- Could Too Many Refined Carbs Make You Depressed?
- Active As Teen, Free of Diabetes In Later Life?
- Do Sporty Teen Girls Live Longer, Healthier Lives?
- New Drug Lowers Levels of Triglyceride Blood Fats: Study
- High Blood Sugar May Boost Alzheimer's Risk
- Healthy Diet May Help Shield the Aging Brain
- Psoriasis Drug May Help Preserve Pancreas Cells in Type 1 Diabetes
- High Soda Intake May Boost Diabetes Risk, Even Without Obesity
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Higher Risk of Dementia
- More Exercise = More Fat Loss for Older Women, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Controlling Diabetes During Hot Weather
- Type 2 Diabetes May Damage Thinking Skills: Study
- Cost a Barrier to Healthier Diets for Diabetic Kids, Study Shows
- Order in Which Food Is Eaten May Affect Type 2 Diabetics' Blood Sugar
- The Benefits of Exercise Go Way Beyond the Muscles
- Any Added Sugar Is Bad Sugar, Some Experts Contend
- Obese Postmenopausal Women May Face Higher Risk for Breast Cancer
- New Trial Tests Whether TB Shot Fights Type 1 Diabetes
- Vegan Diet Might Ease Diabetic Nerve Pain
- More Evidence That High-Fiber Diet May Curb Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Mix of Heart Risk Factors
- Your Plate May Hold the Key to Alzheimer's
- The 10 Most-Prescribed and Top-Selling Medications
- Health Tip: Store Diabetes Supplies Safely
- High-Protein Diet May Be Dangerous for Those at Risk of Heart Disease
- When You Eat, Not Just What, May Impact Health
- Dropping One Sugary Soda a Day Could Cut Diabetes Risk: Study
- Better Diabetes Blood Sugar Management Leads to Fewer Eye Surgeries
- Could High-Dose Insulin Prevent Type 1 Diabetes in High-Risk Kids?
- Researchers Test Powdered Insulin to Prevent Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes Drug Might Raise Babies' Complication Risk
- Why Insulin Resistance May Be More Common in Men
- Latest Diabetes Care Guidelines Focus on Individual Approach
- Why Isn't There Any Cheap, Generic Insulin?
- 2 Factors Greatly Boost New Moms' Odds of Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Groups Call for Greater Scrutiny of Insulin Pumps
- Could the Future Be Finger-Stick Free for Diabetics?
- Mom's Age at Childbirth Tied to Son's Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Statins Linked to Raised Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
- Small Study Links Lack of Sleep to Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Minority Kids Less Likely to Get Latest Type 1 Diabetes Treatments, Study Finds
- Type 1 Diabetes More Deadly for Women Than Men, Study Finds
- Medication Problems May Spur Many Child ER Trips, Study Finds
- 1 in 5 Younger Diabetics Lacks Good Medical Care, Study Says
- Unhealthy Insulin Levels May Boost Breast Cancer Risk
- Are Seniors With Diabetes Overtreated?
- Cooler Temps May Boost Calorie-Burning 'Brown Fat,' Mouse Study Suggests
- Study Reinforces Link Between Low Birth Weight, Diabetes Risk
- Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Lower Life Expectancy in Study
- 1 in 3 People With Type 1 Diabetes Still Produce Insulin, Study Says
- New Weight Loss Drug Saxenda: FAQ
- More Children in the U.S. Are Getting Type 1 Diabetes
- 'Low-GI' Diet May Not Benefit Blood Sugar
- Cancer Rates Higher in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Does High-Fructose Corn Syrup Make People Hungrier?
- Technology Helps Manage Diabetes: FDA
- Better Diet, Exercise Can Prevent Diabetes in Both Sexes, Study Finds
- Midlife Diabetes Linked to Memory Problems Later
- Yogurt Every Day May Help Keep Diabetes Away
- Exercise Might Not Help Some Type 2 Diabetics Control Their Blood Sugar
- Type 1 Diabetes Lowered Survival in Study
- Nearly 3 in 10 Americans With Diabetes Don't Know It: Study
- Kidney, Urinary Birth Defects Tied to Obesity in Moms-to-Be
- Type 1 Diabetes Increasing Among White American Kids
- Colleges Could Do More for Students With Chronic Ills, Study Finds
- Metformin Beats Other Type 2 Diabetes Drugs for First Treatment: Study
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- Another Study Links Mediterranean Diet to Better Heart Health
- Early Study Points to Diabetes Drug Controlled by Light
- Obesity May Speed Aging of the Liver, Study Suggests
- Stem Cell Success Raises Hopes of Type 1 Diabetes Cure
- Impotence Drug Might Counter Common Gene Mutation in Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Report Claims Success Treating Alzheimer's Memory Loss
- Bro Alert: Too Much Booze May Harm Your Sperm
- Study Compares Insulin Regimens for Type 1 Diabetes
- Can Exercise Prevent Type 2 Diabetes? Your Genes May Be Key
- Weekly Diabetes Drugs: FAQs
- Obesity Isn't Sole Cause of Type 2 Diabetes
- Combo Diabetes Therapy Outperforms Other Treatments, Study Finds
- Nuts & Your Health: What to Know
- Weight Loss Surgery: Diabetes Cure?
- New Test Helps Diagnose Type 1 Diabetes
- Low Birth Weights May Put Black Women at Risk for Diabetes
- 40 Percent of Americans Will Develop Diabetes, CDC Projects
- The 'Bear' Facts on Obesity and Diabetes
- Fast-Slow Walking May Be Better for Diabetes
- Diabetes May Raise Risk for Head and Neck Cancer
- Healthy 'Brown Fat' May Cut Odds for Obesity, Diabetes
- Study Links Shift Work to Risk for Type 2 Diabetes
- Protein Temporarily Reversed Type 2 Diabetes in Mice
- Saliva Test Might Someday Replace Needle Prick for Diabetics
- Stress May Leave You Heading to the Cookie Jar
- Cholesterol Levels May Be Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- Insulin Pumps May Outperform Daily Injections for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Inhaled Insulin Afrezza: FAQ
- FDA Approves Inhaled Insulin Drug Afrezza
- Gut Cells May Be Coaxed to Make Insulin for People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Cooler Indoor Temps May Help 'Good Fat' Grow
- 1 in 10 Moms-to-Be Develop Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes: CDC
- Diabetes Distress Is Distinct From Depression, Researchers Say
- Experts Revise Optimum Blood Sugar Level for Kids With Type 1 Diabetes
- Study Ties Too Much Sitting to Risks for Certain Cancers
- Scientists Reverse Type 1 Diabetes in Mice
- 'Bionic Pancreas' Improves Blood Sugar Control for People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Gut Bacteria in Young Diabetic Kids Show Differences
- Diet Rich in Plant Antioxidants Helps Blood Sugar
- Diabetes Drug May Spur Weight Loss in Obese Nondiabetics
- Diabetics Fare Worse After Heart Surgery, Study Finds
- Diabetes May Be Bigger Threat to the Female Heart: Study
- Brain Changes May Accompany Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis in Kids
- Ultrasound Trumps CT Scan for Diagnosing Kidney Stones in Study
- Mouse Study Raises Possibility of New Treatment for Diabetes
- Intensive Insulin Therapy Might Aid Diabetics After Heart Attack
- Kids' Diabetes Rates Up Dramatically in 8 Years, Study Finds
- Type 2 Diabetes May Shrink the Brain, Study Suggests
- Could More Coffee Lower Your Odds for Diabetes?
- Severe Obesity in Teens Tied to Possible Kidney Problems
- Low Blood Sugar May Affect Heartbeat in People With Diabetes
- Too Little Sleep May Add to Teen Health Problems
- Tanzeum Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- Clues to Type 2 Diabetes Discovered on Mount Everest
- Obesity-Related Enzyme Targeted in Mouse Study
- Diabetes Tied to Higher Risk of Pancreatic Cancer in Study
- More Evidence Weight-Loss Surgery Helps People With Diabetes
- Scientists Generate Insulin-Producing Cells in Diabetic Mice
- Health Tip: Understand Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Blood Sugar Monitoring System Approved for Children
- Avoid Sports Injuries: Advice From an Olympic Doctor
- Smartphone Apps for Diabetes: Do They Really Work?
- Research Reveals Secret Behind a Steady Heartbeat
- First Trimester Appears Crucial for Baby's Heart Health
- Chocolate, Tea, Berries May Cut Diabetes Risk: Study
- Sleep During the Day May Throw Genes Into Disarray
- As Weight Rises in People With Diabetes, So Does Death Risk: Study
- U.S. Panel Urges Diabetes Screening for All Pregnant Women
- Chest Implant Might Help With Hard-to-Treat Sleep Apnea
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Might Not Help All Critically Ill Kids
- Mediterranean Diet Alone May Lower Diabetes Risk
- Keep the Holidays Merry for Kids With Diabetes
- Stent to Treat Pancreatic Cysts Approved
- Review Finds Weight-Loss Surgery Safe and Effective
- Diabetes Drug Metformin Tied to Slight Weight Loss in Obese Kids
- U.S. Cancer Death Rates Continue to Decline: Report
- Diabetes Drugs Affect Hearts of Men, Women Differently
- Sodas, Other Sweet Drinks Tied to Higher Risk for Endometrial Cancer
- Study of Severely Obese Family Leads to Gene Discovery
- 'Healthy' Obesity May Still Carry Higher Health Risks
- Could Weight-Loss Surgery Help Slow Aging for Some?
- Needle-Free 'Breathalyzer' for Daily Diabetes Testing Shows Promise
- Urine Test May Spot Heart, Kidney Risk in Kids With Type 1 Diabetes
- Meat Products Could Raise Diabetes Risk: Study
- New Drug May Someday Battle Obesity and Diabetes
- Gardening, Housework May Help Boost Your Heart Health
- Scientists Report Transplant Advance for Type 1 Diabetes
- Cinnamon May Help Ease Common Cause of Infertility, Study Says
- Exercise Might Boost Men's Sperm Counts, Study Finds
- Exercise May Lower Risk of Esophageal Cancer
- Woman Battling Multiple Health Issues Refuses to Take 'No' From Her Insurer
- People With Type 1 Diabetes May Still Have Insulin-Producing Cells
- Tom Hanks Has Type 2 Diabetes
- Fatty, High-Calorie Diet Linked to Pancreatic Cancer in Mouse Study
- More Evidence That Exercise Can Help Prevent High Blood Pressure
- Big Breakfast May Be Best for Diabetes Patients
- Parenthood May Reduce Diabetes-Related Death Risk, Study Suggests
- Gel May Offer Simple Treatment for Newborns With Low Blood Sugar
- Common Diabetes Drugs May Carry Risk, Study Suggests
- Study May Help Explain Delay of Heart Disease in Women
- FDA Sets Rules for Smartphone Medical Apps
- Psoriasis Drug May Help Treat Type 1 Diabetes: Report
- Weight-Loss Surgery Can Improve Long-Term Diabetes Control, Study Says
- New Understanding of Racial Disparities and Diabetes
- 4 Factors Predict Diabetes Remission After Surgery: Study
- Nearly 60 Percent of Uterine Cancer Cases Preventable: Report
- New Drug Shows Promise for Type 2 Diabetes
- New Diabetes Drug Seems Safe for Heart, Study Finds
- In Type 2 Diabetes, Gut May 'Taste' Sugar Differently
- Antipsychotic Drugs May Triple Kids' Diabetes Risk, Study Suggests
- Insulin Pumps Better Than Injections for Kids With Type 1 Diabetes: Study
- Plastics Chemicals May Boost Kids' Risk for Obesity, Diabetes
- Depression in Diabetes Patients Linked to Dementia, Study Finds
- Certain Antibiotics Tied to Blood Sugar Swings in Diabetics
- Could Dietary Tweaks Ease Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetes Doesn't Seem to Affect Alzheimer's Disease Progression
- Diabetes-Linked Amputations Declining, Study Finds
- Type 1 Diabetes Hope: Animal-to-Human Cell Transplants
- Early Diabetes Signs Often Missed in Alzheimer's Patients
- Diabetes Drug May Protect the Brain
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Cause Weight Gain?
- Most Statin Users Won't Have Major Side Effects
- Breast Milk Supply May Be Linked to Insulin Production: Study
- Early Respiratory Infection May Double Type 1 Diabetes Risk: Study
- Pain Reliever Lowers Blood Sugar in Type 2 Diabetics, Study Says
- South Asian Men May Need More Exercise to Stay Healthy: Study
- Vaccine May Stop Immune Attack in Type 1 Diabetes, Study Suggests
- New Insulin Pump Cuts Odds of Overnight Hypoglycemia
- New Insulin Pump Cuts Odds of Overnight Hypoglycemia
- Could Catching Up on Sleep Lower Your Diabetes Risk?
- Blood Test Might Predict Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Study Finds
- A Deadly Form of Diabetes That Doctors Sometimes Miss
- BPA Exposure Tied to Undescended Testicles in Boys
- Skipping Breakfast May Raise Diabetes Risk
- Short Strolls After Meals May Lower Diabetes Risk
- Low Blood Sugar May Raise Dementia Risk in Diabetics: Study
- Even Mild Weight Loss May Lower Diabetes Risk in Obese Teens
- Stem Cell Therapy Cures Type 1 Diabetes in Mice
- FDA Mulls Lifting Tight Safety Limits on Diabetes Drug Avandia
- Women's Weight-Loss Surgery May Benefit Later Offspring
- 'Nano' Medicine Might Someday Free Diabetics From Daily Needles
- Type 2 Diabetes Progresses Faster in Kids, Study Finds
- Could Statins Raise Diabetes Risk?
- Fish Oil Pills Might Cut Diabetes Risk, Researchers Say
- Depression May Raise Low Blood Sugar Risk in Diabetics
- How Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Diabetes Control
- Hormone Shows Potential as Diabetes Treatment in Mice
- Bipolar Disorder Drugs May 'Tweak' Genes Affecting Brain
- New Diabetes Drug Expected This Week
- New Clues to How Exercise May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
- Balding Men Could Face Higher Heart Risks, Study Finds
- Study Suggests Link Between Hormone Melatonin and Type 2 Diabetes
- Mini-Organ Would Mimic Pancreas to Treat Type 1 Diabetes
- Artificial Pancreas Worked Overnight on Kids With Type 1 Diabetes
- Countries With More Sugar in Food Supply Have More Diabetes
- Newest Diabetes Drugs Linked to Higher Pancreatitis Risk
- 1 in 8 Americans Diagnosed With Type 2 Diabetes: Poll
- Obese Black Women at Higher Risk for Having Very Large Babies
- Lucky Dogs Get Shot at Diabetes Cure
- First-Born May Be at Greater Risk for Diabetes, Hypertension
- Type 1 Diabetes Up 70 Percent in Kids, Study Finds
- Three New Drugs Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- For Diabetes: BP, Cholesterol Key v. Heart Disease
- Preventing Kidney Disease May Cut Diabetes Deaths, Study Says
- For Texas Man, Bariatric Surgery Led to Diabetes-Free Life
- New Diabetes Guidelines May Lower Patient Medical Bills
- Saving Carbs for Dinnertime Might Help Control Weight
- Study Examines Link Between Breast Cancer and Diabetes
- Brown Fat Transplants May Spur Weight Loss
- Can Teens' Lack of Sleep Lead to Diabetes?
- Mouse Study Offers Clues to Obesity-Diabetes Link
- Health Tip: Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes
- Healthy Diet May Prevent Additional Heart Trouble
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Fight Cancer
- Supplements of Red Wine Antioxidant Don't Help Obese Men
- New Treatment Aids Weight Loss, Improves Diabetes in Monkeys
- Airport Security X-Rays May Damage Diabetes Devices
- World Diabetes Day Designed to Raise Awareness
- New Diabetes Drugs Have Different Advantages, Study Says
- High-Carb Diet Linked to Colon Cancer Recurrence in Study
- Popular Diabetes Meds Put to the Test
- Insomnia May Raise Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Fewer U.S. Kids Dying of Diabetes: CDC
- Power Slowly Returns to Much of Northeast After Sandy
- Sandy's Death Toll Rises, Even as East Coast Struggles Back to Life
- Sandy's Wrath Brings Massive Blackouts, Flooding Across Northeast
- Q & A: Riding Out the Storm Safely
- Health Tip: Monitor Your Blood Glucose
- Obese Boys, Impotent Men?
- Red Wine Compound May Not Help Healthy Women
- Millions May Be Taking Vitamin D Unnecessarily, Analysis Suggests
- Health Tip: Learn About the A1C Test
- Sleepless Nights Might Raise Odds for Diabetes
- Interval Training Burns More Calories in Less Time
- Stem Cell Transplant May Spur Heart Disease Risk: Study
- Diabetes Patients Should Have More Voice in Treatment: Experts
- Changes in Intestinal Bacteria Linked to Type 2 Diabetes
- Child Obesity Risks May Be Greater Than Thought
- Belly Fat Adds to Diabetes Risk in Obese Adults, Study Finds
- Aerobic Exercise Cuts Kids' Diabetes Risk: Study
- Docs' Sensitivity to Patients' Feelings Tied to Good Outcomes
- Scientists ID Gene for Insulin Sensitivity
- Hispanics May Face Higher Risk for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Won't Help Babies After Heart Surgery
- Can Childhood Obesity Hinder the Brain?
- Obesity Might Lower Teens' Thinking Skills, Study Suggests
- Belly Fat May Hit Your Heart the Hardest
- Health Tip: On the Go With Diabetes
- Confusion Over Diabetes Types Adds to Patients' Woes
- Obesity May Affect Breast Cancer Recovery
- Radiation for Childhood Cancer Might Raise Diabetes Risk
- Weight Loss Surgery Prevents Diabetes
- Statins Won't Hurt, Might Even Help, Your Pancreas: Study
- 'Yo-Yo' Dieting Won't Harm Long-Term Weight Loss Efforts
- Pain Reported by Nearly Half With Type 2 Diabetes
- A Few Hours of Weekly Exercise May Help Women's Bones
- Scientists ID New Gene Regions Linked to Type 2 Diabetes
- Can TB Vaccine Stop Type 1 Diabetes?
- More Americans Walking, But Still Not Enough, CDC Says
- More Evidence That Exercise Helps Fight Diabetes
- Hormone May Boost Aging, Failing Brains
- Drug May Slow Memory Loss in Early Alzheimer's
- Curry Compound May Lower Diabetes Risk
- Weight Control Can Cut Women's Diabetes Risk, Study Shows
- Sex Life of Diabetic Women May Suffer
- The Health Benefits, and Risks, of Alcohol
- Alcohol Poses Serious Risks for Those With Diabetes
- Big Babies May Boost Mom's Breast Cancer Risk
- Police Work Takes Heavy Health Toll: Study
- New Devices Improve Diabetes Control
- Another Study Links Diabetes Drug Actos to Bladder Cancer
- Hot Flashes Don't Signal Poor Heart Health for Most Women: Study
- Newer 'Second-Line' Diabetes Drug May Outperform Older Meds
- 'Atkins'-Type Diets May Raise Risk of Heart Problems: Study
- All Calories Not Created Equal, Study Suggests
- 'Dessert' With Breakfast Boosts Weight Loss: Study
- Metformin Outperforms Common Class of Diabetes Drugs in Study
- Secondhand Smoke Linked to Raised Diabetes Risk
- Some Diabetics May Not Benefit From Daily Aspirin
- Liposuction Might Have 'Boomerang' Effect
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Cut Breast Cancer Risk in Older Women
- Diabetes Drugs Avandia, Actos Linked to Vision Woes
- No Cancer Risk From Long-Acting Insulin: Studies
- Experimental Stem Cell Treatment Tested for Type 1 Diabetes
- Treating Prediabetes Might Prevent Full-Blown Disease
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Missing Treatment Goals: Study
- Diabetes Rising Rapidly Among U.S. Kids
- More Progress Made on Artificial Pancreas for Diabetes Patients
- Waist Size Alone May Predict Diabetes Risk
- C-Section May Hike Risk for Toddlers' Obesity, Study Suggests
- People With Diabetes May Need Earlier Colon Screen
- Death Rate Dropping for People With Diabetes
- Diabetes Can Take a Toll on Your Emotions
- Oxygen Therapy Slows Type 1 Diabetes in Mice, Study Says
- Exercise May Boost Survival in Breast, Colon Cancer Patients
- Joggers Live Longer, Study Says
- Type 2 Diabetes in Kids a Challenge to Control
- Two-Drug Therapy Helped Kids With Type 2 Diabetes
- Pick Dark Chocolate for Health Benefits
- Consumer Group to FDA: Take Victoza off the Market
- Diabetes Groups Issue New Guidelines on Blood Sugar
- Overweight Pregnant Women at Higher Risk for Complications
- Women Less Apt Than Men to Get Recommended Daily Exercise
- Mouse Study Hints at New Path for Diabetes Treatment
- Phthalates May Double Diabetes Risk
- Shift Work May Set Stage for Obesity and Diabetes
- Health Tip: Know Your Risk Factors for Atherosclerosis
- Mom's Health While Pregnant Linked to Autism Risk
- Improved Stem Cell Line May Avoid Tumor Risk: Study
- Diabetes Drug Metformin Might Also Help Fight Cancer
- Heavier Baby Girls at Higher Risk for Diabetes, Heart Woes as Adults
- Health Benefits of Chocolate Growing
- Cardiac Cocktail Delivered by Paramedics May Save Lives
- New Injection Might Lower Tough-to-Treat Cholesterol
- Weight Loss Surgery Puts Diabetes Into Remission
- Expert FAQ: Dealing With Excess Body Hair
- New Type 2 Diabetes Drug Helps Lower Blood Sugar: Study
- New Clues to Link Between Fatty Diet, Colon Cancer
- Insulin Resistance May Lead to Kidney Disease in the Elderly: Study
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise Against Cushing's Disease
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- Most Americans Don't Need Extra Selenium
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise Against Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes May Develop More Slowly Than Thought
- Short Breaks During Exercise OK for Diabetes Control: Study
- Pancreas May 'Taste' Fructose, Hinting at Links to Diabetes
- Metformin Preferred Drug for Type 2 Diabetes, Experts Say
- Type 1 Diabetes Treatment Disappoints in Trial
- Popular Diabetes Drug Might Cut Pancreatic Cancer Risk: Study
- Gene Study Sheds Light on Body Clock's Link to Diabetes
- Too Much Fructose Sweetener Tied to Heart Risks in Teens
- Weekly Shot Gets FDA Nod for Type 2 Diabetes
- CDC: Big Drop in Diabetes Amputations
- Health Tip: Store Insulin Properly
- Health Highlights: Jan. 12, 2012
- Insulin-Linked Hormone May Also Raise Alzheimer's Risk
- Driving Isn't An Issue for Most People With Diabetes
- Health Tip: Diabetics, Pack Smart for Holiday Travel
- Brief, Intense Exercise Lowers Blood Sugar, Small Study Finds
- Apnea Treatment Might Reduce Signs of Heart Disease Risk
- Starchy Foods May Boost Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence
- Obesity Linked to Worse Outcomes With Early Breast Cancer
- Low Vitamin D May Raise Diabetes Risk in Kids
- Colon Cancer Prognosis Worse for the Obese, Type 2 Diabetics
- New FDA Guidelines for Testing Artificial Pancreas
- Women's High Blood Sugar Linked to Colorectal Cancer: Study
- Most Drug-Related Hospitalizations Due to Handful of Drugs
- Coffee May Cut Endometrial Cancer Risk
- Sugar-Sweetened Drinks May Pose Heart Risks to Women, Study Suggests
- Experimental Drug Slims Obese Monkeys
- Diabetes Linked to Precancerous Colon Growths
- Study Casts Doubt on Hot Dogs' Link to Colon Cancer
- 3 Hours of Exercise Weekly Can Cut Men's Heart Risks
- New Type 1 Diabetes Genes Found
- Asthma Can Complicate Diabetes Care in Kids
- Being Heavier May Mean Fewer Hot Flashes for Women Over 60
- Low-Carb Diets May Improve Acne
- No More Co-pay for Birth Control
- Not All Belly Fat Is Bad for the Heart
- FDA Panel Opposes New Type of Diabetes Drug
- Drug May Treat Newly Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes
- Metformin: Safer for Heart Than Older Diabetes Drugs?
- Exercise After Meals Helps Control Blood Sugar
- New Insulin May Treat Dangerously Low Blood Sugar
- Very Low-Calorie Diet May Reverse Diabetes
- New Bladder Cancer Warning for Diabetes Drug Actos
- Type 2 Diabetes Treatment Victoza Helps Type 1, Too
- Coffee May Lower Prostate Cancer Risk
- Breastfeeding May Influence Long-Term Health: Study
- Diabetes Costs Are High for Young People
- Gastric Bypass May Improve Diabetes Quickly
- Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease Rates Rising in U.S.
- Why Some May Avoid Type 1 Diabetes Complications
- Diabetes Drug Actos May Also Help Prediabetes
- Cocoa Rich in Health Benefits
- Unhealthy Diet Raises Heart Risk of Obese Teens
- Blood Test May Predict Risk of Diabetes
- Coffee May Lower Stroke Risk
- 384,000 J&J Animas Insulin Pump Cartridges Recalled
- Diabetes Risks Go Beyond Heart Attacks, Strokes
- What's the Best Test for Children's Diabetes?
- Fatty Liver May Be Linked to Diabetes Risk
- Wireless Sensor Monitors Heart Failure Patients
- Artificial Pancreas Could Help Pregnant Diabetic Women
- CDC: 26 Million Americans Have Diabetes
- Team Treatment Helps Depression, Chronic Disease
- Experts: Exercise Crucial for Patients With Type 2 Diabetes
- Vitamin D Levels at Birth May Predict Obesity Risk
- New Guidelines for Treatment of Depression
- Some Dieters Are Set Up to Regain Weight
- Breastfeeding May Lower Moms' Diabetes Risk
- Type 2 Diabetes May Have Link to Alzheimer's
- Resveratrol May Slow Aging in Humans
- Study: High-Fructose Diets May Raise Blood Pressure
- Inhaled Insulin May Help Treat Diabetes
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Poor Diabetes Control
- Sugar Water Eases Vaccine Pain for Babies
- Concerns Raised About Drugstore Genetic Test
- Dementia Risk Higher if Your Spouse Has Dementia
- Prehypertension, Prediabetes Predict Heart Risk
- Exercise During Pregnancy for Smaller Baby
- A1c Test Identifies Diabetes, Heart Risk
- Gestational Diabetes Underdiagnosed
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.