Patient Comments: Insomnia - Treatment

What treatments were effective with your case of insomnia? Submit Your Comment

Published: January 19

I have had chronic insomnia for years now. Have tried almost every sleeping pill and natural method there is. Some would work for a while and then stop. I have very chronic pain due to lumbar fusion and just very recently a cervical 2 level fusion. My doctor put me on 25 mg Elavil(amitriptyline) at bedtime. At first I slept so hard I was having trouble waking up in the morning. (this was actually given to me for nerve pain) But I continued to take it. After 2 weeks it had tapered off and I wasn't sleeping as good. He recently increased my dosage to 75 mg and I am sleeping all night and can still function in the day! So as of right now, I love it!

Comment from: paigers, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have chronic insomnia where I go a few days without sleep. Normally I have issues initiating sleep, but I take a dose of melatonin and Benadryl, which helps me fall asleep within an hour. I have to take it eight hours before my desired awake time or otherwise I'd be extremely drowsy throughout the day. Sometimes the medicine doesn't work, and I wake up frequently during the night and early morning. I am definitely against sleeping pills because I don't want to have a physiological dependence or suffer withdrawal.

Comment from: DavidA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

For years I have had trouble falling and staying asleep or wakening and unable to fall back asleep. I have a particularly stressful job and I would change my circumstance if I could afford to do so, but that's not happening anytime soon. I am a coffee drinker and though I have quit and resumed many times, I never found that avoiding caffeine helped my issue. I also have mild depression and these days have had success in minimizing it. I take OTC antihistamine to help me fall asleep, and that works 80% of the time, but there are times where nothing seems to help. I have tried everything from prescriptions to melatonin supplements. Even recently I had a pulled muscle where the hydro-codeine painkiller could not even help me fall asleep. When I awake in the night I have mentioned jokingly to coworkers that the "committee" called a meeting to discuss all things worrisome.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have been a chronic insomniac for 25 years. As I get anxious when night falls, and depressed when the sun rises with another sleepless night, I bought into a diagnosis of depression/anxiety disorder and was put on enormous doses of a cocktail of 4 anti-psychotic medications. I now have serotonin syndrome - a life threatening auto-immune disease. I was taking Seroquel, trazodone, lorazepam, and more. I urge caution when agreeing to take these drugs and others in the benzodiazepine family.

Comment from: Peggy Foster, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

A lifelong insomniac, I tried everything, then made my own CD of music and guided imagery. I have accepted that I will always have this problem and I will usually get relief for a while from most everything I try, then it stops working and I need something new.

Comment from: cori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I've had insomnia for more than a year. It seems like my doctor won't do anything. I've tried prescriptions and over-the-counter and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: colorado, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Seems like the insomnia started when I went off estrogen about 4 years ago. I don't have sleep apnea but am on oxygen at night as I live at a high altitude. I'm on Trazodone for the side affect of sleep, but it only works for about 5 hours. I am active and try to tire myself out so I can try to squeeze 6 hours of sleep in. I am not able to nap, I don't drink, or smoke and don't drink coffee.

Comment from: lexy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

When I go to bed, I'm not sleepy, so I have to take Paxil two hours before bed and then two pills of lorazepam plus melatonin. I had tried in the past to lower the dose, and only take melatonin after stopping taking all others gradually. It had worked, but two or three months later, I started the process again. It is hard to go back to your normal sleep again, but I'm going to try once again.

Comment from: Doeleane, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I could fall asleep very easily but I would wake up about 3AM and unable to fall back to sleep. Several doctors subscribed many sleeping pills, which I have been reluctant to take. Finally, one doctor told me to watch The Late Show, go to bed and wake up at a set time the next morning. I did this for several weeks and finally it all came together. I fall asleep at 11:30PM and wake up at 7:30 the next morning feeling good. It was hard to stay awake until 11:30, but I did it. This simple procedure was my savior. I hope someone else might find a simple remedy like this very helpful!

Insomnia Pictures: 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia
Comment from: bilbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I am epileptic and a good night's sleep is essential, as I become more susceptible to fits. I am currently on 15 mg of diazepam and 20 mg of temazepam (per day) and they generally work well for me. I don't have to worry about nodding off during the day, as this doesn't happen. I'm in a better place now than I was a few years ago, thanks in large part of my GP. I've had her for the last 2 ½ years and she's great. Many thanks to her.

Comment from: caprice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have a chronic insomnia for 30 years. I can fall asleep easily but wake up 2 -3 hours later. I have max 3 hours sleep, which is of course not enough. I have tried everything: relaxation, exercise, psychotherapy and many different medications. I have developed my own strategy that can maybe help some of you. I fell asleep about 11 PM. When I wake up and am absolutely unable to sleep again I take half (or even less) of the sleeping pill. Recently this is half of zolpidem (Ambien,Stilnox). It will work for 3-4 hours. So altogether I sleep 6-7 hours daily which is not quite enough but helps me to continue to work and live. But recently I feel depressed. I am so tired. I want to finish all this. The family doctor gave me Trazodon. It doesn't help to sleep. Always I am awake at 3am.

Comment from: micah, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

At about 11 years ago I just discovered that I cannot sleep when I was preparing for my school exams. Since then I have had this problem till now. It is on and off and during that time I used periactin to make me sleep. Now I am a medical student and I still have this problem. Sometimes I sleep at 11:30pm and wake up at 6:00 am but still have bad feelings. Sometimes I do not sleep at all. Sometimes I sleep for a short period and when I wake up I cannot sleep again. Now I do not take any sleeping pill.

Comment from: Jessie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My treatment for insomnia is from my doctor is RAN-Zopiclone 7.5mg One tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for over two years. I can't get to sleep without it. Sometimes I only need a half pill, but if something bothers me, I need to take the whole one. I would love to be able to sleep without taking pills. I also take 20mg of fluexetine daily (in the am) have been on this for many years.

Comment from: jrcornwall, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

For me, the word 'insomnia' is detached from whatever the medical profession might mean by it. It is a way of life. I have been given, over the years, many 'psychiatric' labels ranging from schizophrenia, bi-polar, dysthmia and one or two others. I have been taking a cocktail of medications for more than thirty years including nitrazepam for my insomnia. After thirty years it is not unreasonable to expect that nitrazepam, at whatever dose, is no longer effective. Other medications have been tried including other benzodiazepines and the Z drugs together with antihistamines and circadian rhythm drugs and nothing has worked. Now, come each evening, I take ten different medications yet still manage only two to three hours per evening. The doctors I see are, understandably, reluctant to prescribe barbiturates even though in the past sodium amytl has been the only effective medication I have had.

Comment from: mikemcgrath, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 10

I started repeating a mantra in my head to fall asleep that works great for me. When I take a breath in I visualize the word "tired?" and when I breath out, the word "sleep," so while that is keeping my brain busy I also visualize the breaths as waveforms, as in sound waveforms that you see on recording visual devices, and that also calms me down and relaxes me. Hope this helps others.

Comment from: gwen, 75 or over Female Published: August 18

I have had insomnia for approximately 7 years. I had breast surgery and I had chemo and radiation. I have not had insomnia, do not get sleepy, every night. Amin Cr helps me more, but I do not have any, and my doctor doesn't want to give me much, but he does not know how I feel the next morning. After not sleeping approximately 2 - 4 hours.

Comment from: Pretty tired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started taking medication for insomnia 10 years ago after the death of my son. I have been using them ever since and I still cannot sleep. I get myself into trouble quite often by taking extra medication because the first one doesn't work and I am now going through a transition that nothing regardless of how much I take will help me sleep more than 3 hours and then I can't sleep anymore.

Comment from: yellow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I exercise and nightly dose of 12.5-25mg trazodone.

Insomnia Pictures: 10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia