An inner ear infection is an infection of the inner parts of the ear that control balance and hearing. This is often an inflammation or irritation of this part of the ear and is referred to as labyrinthitis. Inner ear infection is sometimes referred to as otitis interna.
Signs and symptoms of inner ear infection include feeling a spinning sensation, dizziness, balance problems, problems with walking, nausea, vomiting, and a ringing in the ear (tinnitus). Other associated symptoms include ear pain or hearing loss.
Causes of an inner ear infection
It is also possible to have a true infection by bacteria or viruses in the inner ear. Viral infections of the inner ear are more common causes than bacterial infections.
Other inner ear infection symptoms and signs
- Balance Problems
- Feeling a Spinning Sensation (Vertigo)
- Hearing Loss
- Problems With Walking
- Ringing in the Ear (Tinnitus)
Main Article on Inner Ear Infection Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Balance Disorders: Vertigo, Motion Sickness, Labyrinthitis, and More
What is vertigo? What causes dizziness? Understand different balance disorders and symptoms such as vertigo, motion sickness,...
Ear Health Quiz
How loud is too loud? Take this quiz to learn about your ears, how they function, and how to keep them healthy.
Ear Infection Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Is it possible to prevent ear infections? Take the Ear Infection (Otitis Media) Quiz to learn the risks, causes, symptoms and...
Ear Infection Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Learn about the causes and symptoms of ear infections and how they are diagnosed and treated. Read about treatments such as ear...
Examples of Medications for Inner Ear Infection Symptoms and Signs
- Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanic acid, Augmentin XR, Augmentin ES-600, Amoclan)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- ethyl alcohol
- Haemophilus influenzae type B vaccine
- meclizine, Antivert, Bonine, Meni-D, Antrizine
- promethazine, Phenergan, Phenadoz, Promethegan
- Side Effects of Keflex (cephalexin)
- Which Antibiotic Is Best for An Ear Infection?
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter