Patient Comments: Ingrown Hair - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your ingrown hair(s)? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: swtladyjane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have ingrown hairs on my chin. I have never shaved on my face. They were mostly white but am now seeing they are black and getting thicker. I was told to exfoliate and have, but it does not solve the problem.

Comment from: Jen, 35-44 Female Published: October 15

In the surf, I stepped on a jellyfish, got stung from the knee down on my left leg. I just happened to have a drink called White Russian waiting for me and I dumped it on the stings. About 2 weeks later, the skin reacted and became very itchy.

Comment from: frank, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I have an unusual ingrown hair problem. I have had ingrown hairs in the past and usually can dig them out with a tweezer, but this is very different. I have the typical looking bump associated with an ingrown hair on the back of my neck but instead of pulling out a hair I am pulling out many individual "cotton strand" like hairs that seemed to be attached to something. Now I have a hole there where I can fit tweezers into and continually pull these, for lack of a better description, "fiber like" cotton fibers. Weird.

Comment from: Andrea, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 17

My father suffers from the same thing and nothing has worked. They've had him on every antibiotic, done biopsies, have done skin grafts due to wholes in his face, this disease worked itself all the way around his head, face, and back to where it started on his neck. He even had the problem in his ear. He has to tweeze them out himself. No one can give him any answers or a successful treatment plan. He has suffered from this for over 10 years and has been to every doctor, dermatologist and the Mayo Clinic and no has any answer.

Published: November 07

I had an ingrown hair on my arm, it started to hurt so I dug it out, it was layers down. After it left a hole, but then it started to scab over and I picked at it. The surrounding skin started to get red and discolored, and now it itches especially when I get hot or at night. Now it just looks awful. I tried all the ointments, but nothing is working.

Comment from: suzie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I have suffered from ingrown hairs my whole adult life. They are worse on my thighs than anywhere. I have looked at them very closely and a lot of the time, it seems the skin has grown over before the hair has regrown, rather than the hair growing inwards. I do get the one's that grow inwards, but mostly it does appear that the skin has grown before the hair has. Does anyone feel that this is the case?

View the Adult Skin Problems Slideshow Pictures