Patient Comments: Flu (Influenza) - Symptoms

Please describe your flu symptoms. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blackbog, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was hit like a ton of bricks; extreme fatigue, weakness, severe body and joint pain, bronchial cough, wheezing, fever and chills, fever and shortness of breath. Bronchitis turned into bronchial pneumonia and I ended up in hospital for a week where I was diagnosed with strain A flu. I still continue to have weakness, pneumonia and shortness of breath. I have never been this sick in my life!

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I got sick three days after I had gotten flu shot. The symptoms include constant coughing, dizziness, fatigue, sore ribs due to coughing, congestion, loss of appetite, and runny nose.

Comment from: twin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am having a sinus congestion and chest cold that is causing a lot of coughing, and it hurts when I cough.

Comment from: Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My flu symptoms are extreme chills, dizzy ringing in ears, sinus congestion, severe fatigue, and agitation.

Comment from: RobinKS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

My flu symptoms are chills, fever of 100 and a little higher, deep cough, mild headache, scratchy throat (little), and aches.

Comment from: Rick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I had a flu shot in October at the doctor's office. The doctor asked if I had a flu shot this year. I said no. Before I had a chance to think about it he got the syringe and injected me. In a few days I was sick and stayed sick for 2 weeks disrupting my plans to go to a political fundraiser. Also there was a weird side effect. A warm feeling in my left upper thigh that came and went for 2 and a half days.

Comment from: Hate to be sick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

Four days after flu shot I suddenly came down with a fever (under 101) extreme fatigue, ear ringing and a headache. Headache went in 24 hours with Advil. Fever went in 48 hours. Now I have diarrhea.

Comment from: Crg2901, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have flu now going on two weeks; never in my life was it this bad and I got flu shot 3 months ago. It started with cough, muscle aches, fever, upset stomach, and headache. One night was so bad I went to hospital, I thought I was going to die. I am so tired sleeping all day and night, sweating. I have no energy, mouth sores, cold sores, and no appetite. Usually when I get flu, it's there few days then it's gone. I've missed 9 days of work already and I'm wondering if getting the flu shot actually made me get a worse case of the flu.

Comment from: rknott2612, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My flu symptoms are headache, pressure behind nose and eyes, swollen glands, sore throat, runny nose like a faucet, aches and pains, and cough when mucus builds up. I am not sure about fever, I do feel hot and have chills.

Comment from: TKoftheMW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had the flu for the last 3 days. My throat hurt, my glands were extremely painful and swollen, my joints ached like never before, severe headache, and I had a fever of 103.9 while on Tylenol. I literally slept 24 hours. I am now feeling better, but my glands are still very sore and I tire easily. I am wondering if I am still contagious if it's just my glands that are sore.

Comment from: CM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat, which I thought wasn't justified as I had been wrapping up warm when outside, etc. I went about my day as normal indoors. Then in the early afternoon, whilst in my room I got hit by this extreme tiredness that I've never experienced before. My body ached all over, particularly my neck, shoulders, arms, hips, thighs and hands. Then there was the constant, piercing headache that didn't go away for over 5 hours. This led to me getting a fever, sweating and yet at the same time getting chills and shivering. I wasn't coughing at all but had a bit of a runny nose, nausea and burning eyes. I was in bed at 4pm and had no energy whatsoever and couldn't get up until over 6 hours later when I needed to use the toilet. Every time I tried moving a tiny bit my whole body would shiver and I'd lose the energy again. Also, my eyes were much more sensitive to light. My mum said they were red. As someone who is usually active and productive in the day this was very extreme for me and it made me quite emotional. It's day two today and I've improved massively. Whilst bed bound yesterday my mum gave me two hot lemon and ginger/honey teas and made me take two day and night Nurofen cold and flu tablets. The Nurofen eased the head a little and very slowly. Today I haven't had much of a headache. I'm feel quite spaced out and tired but I can move around much more. I was feeling very sore this morning, especially around my chest and neck area but a very hot bath helped a lot. I had two tablets and another lemon and ginger tea but I've spent most of my time in bed to recover. The only thing left is a sore throat, lack of energy and the spacey-ness. I think I'll be able to make it through work tomorrow although I'm concerned about being contagious and being outside could make it worse, but I seem to be recover much faster than most people!

Comment from: Cnoelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had fever 102 for 4 days, severe congestion, awful headaches that lasted 7 days, cough, and extreme fatigue. I also developed a secondary sinus infection about 7 days in and just finished a Z-Pak. It's now been 13 days and I still have lingering cough, a little congestion, and unusual fatigue which is the hardest thing I'm dealing with. This is the sickest I've been in my adult life; when will this flu end!

Comment from: magical3m, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have nausea and the most severe headache I have ever had. No amount of painkillers were able to stop the pain. I have aching pain in my calves and am weak and tired. I am really feeling sick with this flu!

Comment from: mabel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

It is August 4, 2014. My husband exhibited flu symptoms over a week ago. Last Wednesday I started having an upset stomach, this was off and on for three days. Saturday morning I awoke with a severe sore throat, fever, leg and arm pain, extreme fatigue, and a deep mucous-filled cough. I have never had anything like this before in my life! By noon I was unable to move much and lay in bed. I am a middle aged female. On Sunday, I felt some relief, thanks goodness! I do not know what type of flu this is, but it was the worst thing I have ever had. I hope this gets the word out to the general public that a severe flu is going around.

Comment from: emcnyc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had fatigue on day one. Days two and three I had terrible headache, fever over 103 and sinus pain; days three and four, low grade fever. Cough developed and continued with sinus congestion. I have extreme fatigue, cough and congestion and I am now into week three. My husband had the flu first and he got the flu shot this year.

Comment from: TootiesMom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had the flu 3 weeks ago. It took me almost two weeks to get back to work but since then every afternoon I start getting a head ache muscle aches and a fever of 99.3 to 99.8. I went back to the doctor. She did another flu test, a strep test and pricked my finger. My left side lymph gland is swollen and sore also. My white cell count was a little elevated so she gave me a Z Pack. It did nothing. I don"t know what to do now. Go back to the doctor, I guess.

Comment from: BrianK40, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I began having symptoms a week and a half ago, typical flu. My daughter and wife got it 2 days later. My cough has subsided and my nose runs a little but I basically have no appetite, and it is 13 days later since it started. I felt a little better than I have, last night, and ate pizza, breadsticks and cinnamon bread. This morning I was feeling fine but ever since I got sick I have had this enormous feeling (anxiety) of something seriously wrong and this morning I had a severe case of diarrhea (A watery blow out). I went to the doctor just to get checked out yesterday and he told me that my body needed adjusting after the flu (seasonal).

Comment from: Patti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I started last Thursday night with sharp pains through my body, very high fever and slight nausea. It's now the following Tuesday and I'm hurting in my lower intestines, very sore. I have constipation and my back aches pretty bad. I am still running a slight fever but only when I exert myself. I'm not used to being this sick. I'm 70 and have had the flu just twice in my life, both times I was young. I never had a flu shot but maybe it's time!

Comment from: JamesHHH, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

I first started a week ago with a sore throat and now a week later I have a horrible sinus problem along with aching teeth and horrible joint pain. I can't sleep because of this flu and I just want a good night's sleep! My nose has been rubbed dry because of the tissues and each time I blow my nose my head gets even more pressurized! I have found if your nose hurts really bad, to put some ice on it to numb it. It helped me.

Comment from: Brena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

On Wednesday night I had a mild cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose. I thought it was my allergies or a mild cold. At work the next day I was tired, not feeling myself, a little more cough, sore throat, stuffy nose and not hungry. In the night I was worse. When I woke up Friday I had a fever of 101, chills, tiredness, bad throat, constant coughing, dizziness and headache. Today is Saturday and fever over 101 continues, symptoms continue. I take Motrin and this helps some with fever. I bought Sucrets to help with my sore throat. The cough is driving me crazy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had the flu and pneumonia shot on a Monday. Eight hours later I felt so sick. I started shaking uncontrollably for a couple of hours, felt weak and nauseous, had muscle and joint pain, fevers, headache and neck pain along with very sore arm at the vaccination site. I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. I had no energy and no appetite. Now, 4 days later I am 95% back to normal, thank goodness.

Comment from: Andreas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I have muscle pain, bone pain, shaking, and difficulty breathing. I feel very cold but I am also sweating a lot during my sleep. I think I have flu.

Comment from: zionadams, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had the flu nasal mist vaccine in September and multiple exposures to flu type viruses which did not affect me. On Friday (mid-January) I went to bed feeling pain in my hands and joints but didn't associate it with anything other than increased activity. Four hours later I woke up with my heart pounding in my chest, racing very fast. I woke up because of a Charlie horse cramp (atypical for me) and didn't realize my pulse was up until I had jumped out of bed and was already on my feet. I collapsed and nearly fainted. I had to sit down and talk myself down to normal breathing, and this took several minutes. I honestly wondered if it all would culminate in a heart attack or stroke. Afterward, I broke out in a heavy cold sweat and considered calling 911; nothing had been wrong 4 hours before. But there was no chest pain per se and I could smile normally. On my first day back to work I learned that another employee, who I had never met previously, had identical symptoms. (She thought she was having a heart attack as well.) We both went on to have chills, mild upset stomach, URIs (upper respiratory infections, low grade fevers (or sub normal temperatures). No headache, no vomiting. I would say it's been a steady level of mild fatigue. This is the weirdest virus I have ever had. Day 5 now: I cannot keep my nose from dripping. First day back to work and my boss says I look terrible and suggested sending me home.

Comment from: Sickwiththeflu, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

First I started feeling a little tired, dizzy and nauseous. No cough, just runny nose. After a few days, it hit me! Oh my goodness, I feel like a zombie. I can only get up to 2/3 hours a day and the rest of the day I"m in bed! I would say that"s the worse part of flu. Now my left tonsil and ear are infected.

Comment from: Flip, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I woke up at 3:30 AM sneezing and feverish. Went back to sleep till about 5:30 and man oh man! I have fever, body aches, eyes burn, lethargy and stomach ache. I am a mess!

Comment from: raider1222, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have a severe headache since this morning, and it keeps getting worse. When I try to cough my head above my ears is in severe pain. I also have chills, body aches, loss of appetite, frequent urination. I do not and have not had a fever.

Comment from: dookfnp, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My son came home from college with flu symptoms of fever, aches, chills, no appetite, sore throat and deep dry cough. He was sick for a total of seven days. Poor guy even passed out one night when he went to the bathroom. He was dehydrated, even though he was drinking a lot. My youngest daughter and I both started getting sick about four days after he went back to college. We both had the flu shot! Anyway, this couldn't be anything else. We had aches; high fevers (102 to 104 degrees); sore throats; deep, dry coughs; no appetites, and just feeling absolutely miserable. I still say to get your flu shot though! This has lasted about six to seven days.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am a 48-year-old female. I was diagnosed with Type B influenza yesterday. I received the flu shot in November of this year. I also had Type B influenza in February of this year. On Friday, Dec. 5, 2008, I started with what I thought was a cold or allergy symptoms: nasal congestion, slight sore throat, and some coughing. I went to my husband's Christmas party and probably infected several people unknowingly. Saturday morning, I felt really bad. I had body aches, a low-grade fever of 100, a sore throat, coughs, facial pain, slight nausea, and no appetite. I stayed in bed all day. Sunday morning, I was determined to go to church, so I took some Sinus Tylenol and Motrin and went. Considering I am a medical assistant, you would think I would know better. My low-grade fever returned as the Motrin wore out. Monday morning, I went to the medical office I work at and was swabbed for the flu. Yep: I was Type B positive. I also have a sinus infection, so I was prescribed Omnicef. Today, I still have a lot of nasal congestion, hoarseness, coughing, but I feel "slightly" better. I was told to stay out of work for a week, but we'll see how that goes.

Comment from: mbullitt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I began coming down with the flu last Saturday afternoon. It started with achiness, headache, and fatigue. I took an Epsom salt bath and went to bed early. The next morning, I felt cold and both mentally and physically "slow." I took another bath and tried to go about my day, but in church while everyone else appeared comfortable in shirtsleeves, I was shivering in an overcoat. I went home, took yet another hot bath, and went to bed. I've experienced queasiness verging on nausea (but no vomiting), especially at the prospect of eating; some light-headedness and dizziness when I've tried to bend over or move about; I had been having difficult bowel movements on Friday and Saturday (unusual for me), and even my urination was difficult. It felt as if all my "pipes" were reduced in diameter, and the flow was restricted. By Monday, all my bowel movements had changed to diarrhea and occasional soft blooms of bright color -- especially beet red. My energy by Wednesday had begun to return, and I was able to do some dishes and attend to some business mid-day, but by evening, I was back home in bed with my hot water bottle on my belly. I've continued to wake every two hours (at minimum) during the night to use the bathroom, but the flow no longer seems restricted. It's just the liquid diarrhea though. I'm eating only small amounts of protein, whole grains, fruit, and vegetables, plenty of water, hot light-colored tea, and chicken broth. I have not had any respiratory symptoms, possibly because I've cut out all sugar, refined carbs, flour, alcohol, and caffeine from my diet? At this point (Thursday), I'm still home, taking it easy, feeling mostly myself, except for the occasional need to use the bathroom from the diarrhea. My appetite was stronger this morning, and I didn't feel the need to force myself to eat my breakfast. I actually enjoyed the taste of goat cheese and a soft boiled egg. I feel hopeful the end is in sight.

Comment from: edrn08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm a 23-year-old emergency room nurse, and this year I opted out for the flu shot. Go figure that I got the flu. It started with a general “just not feeling good,” almost like a sinus infection. I had a low-grade temperature, some aches, burning eyes, dizziness, and tiredness. I took Tylenol to combat these symptoms that lasted for a couple days. Then it turned into a sore throat that was so bad I couldn't swallow. My tonsils were basically touching. I lost my voice totally, my fever wasn't going away with Tylenol anymore, and my head and body ached. By the end of my eight-hour shift on Monday, I had another nurse start an IV on me because I was so dehydrated. The doctor on duty gave me some prednisone to take the swelling down in my throat as well. It's now Wednesday, and I haven't returned to work yet. I've been taking an antibiotic and a steroid daily. I'm feeling a little better. I'm still very, very tired, and I still have a disgusting cough. My newest symptoms are diarrhea and stomach cramps. I ate some yogurt, and they have subsided at this point. My fever returned to a low-grade one. I still don't have a voice, but I'm back to work tomorrow at 7 p.m. for more action. Looks as if I'll never skip the flu shot again!

Comment from: Really Got Sick , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just got over the flu. It started with a headache and not feeling well. The next day, I had a stuffy nose with sinus congestion and drip. The day after that, I was so thirsty. I kept drinking and drinking and couldn't figure out what was going on. Then, it moved to my throat. My throat was so sore, all I could get down was ice cream. Then, the body aches came. My bones hurt clear down into my legs. I got so sick that I couldn't get up for three days. I wondered if I was going to succumb to this. It was difficult to breathe. I'd wake up and then sort of try and sit up. I was running a fever of 102. I have not been this sick since the 80s. It took three days before I could even get up. It was difficult to even walk to the bathroom or kitchen. Now it is in my bronchial area. I still have the cough, which hurts when I cough. This was for a week. This one scared me. That is why I am writing about it here. I think now that I will consider getting the flu shot. I have never taken the shot before.

Comment from: vern, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 13

I had the 2015-16 flu shot and now I have sweats. Then I had chills, upset stomach and dizziness for 3 days.

Comment from: Ron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

My fly symptoms are shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, loss of appetite and chills.

Comment from: Polly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have aching muscles, sneezing, cold and hot feelings, lack of appetite and muscle weakness.

Comment from: Kyle, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

A couple weeks ago the doctor said I had bronchitis and sinusitis. He gave me amoxicillin for it and it seemed like it went away but it started up again on vacation. I've been throwing up a lot and coughing bad too. I'm not sure if the drainage went to my stomach but its making me sometimes not want to eat, and when I do I sometimes feel like I need to throw up. I've lost weight and sometimes when I'm full my stomach growls like I need to eat. I get the chills sometimes and get hot too. I also have acid reflex. My stomach feels like it tightened up and my ribs feel bruised. I was wondering if maybe I got something else too? And the biggest concern is the eating problem?

Comment from: surf181, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

I experienced fatigue, no drive, chills, a hacking cough, but mainly fatigue. This is the fifth day and I still need to go lay down frequently, but I do feel like I have passed the half-way point. Get your flu shots. This is the first year I skipped. Thankfully I can eat and drink okay. My dogs like the rest, but I'd rather be working.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am lying here on my bed in brutal pain writing this from my Blackberry. It started out last week (Tuesday) as a sudden sore throat, which was very painful, that lasted three days. Then, I thought I was fine, but I felt heavy pressure in my head and congestion. My nose was running, and I was hot and cold. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said I was having sinus problems. So he gave me the Z-pack. That night, I woke up at 5 a.m. with a horrific stomach pain and nausea. I began vomiting and having diarrhea all morning until about noon. Suddenly, my back, legs, and arms started throbbing! They still are. What started as sinus infection turned into the flu. I can barely move at all! I can't bear to look at food!

Comment from: Architect, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu started with my lower back feeling sore. I thought it was related to my home renovation strain. This has now lasted five or six days. I feel OK in the morning. I can walk and do easy things, and then it's straight to bed, and I sleep the rest of the day and night. It does not seem to be improving. Even sitting is uncomfortable. I have a low fever and my eyes are sore.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I'm getting over the flu. It started last Wednesday with sneezing and a runny nose. I took a hot bath after shivering, but I still had goosebumps. I went straight to bed with my nightshirt on and was sweating. I could feel it running off my skin. The next day, I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't even sit up. I was really thirsty and drank through a straw for some strange reason. Well, Saturday morning, I started my period, which didn't help because I'm always low on energy at this time of the month. This time, I just about fell into the bath. I could hardly wash my hair, but I did get a clean nightshirt on and crawled straight into bed. My hubby brought me some Lemsips, and my kids helped out with the other household chores. I got up on Sunday and managed a few hours in the chair watching TV but felt I needed to lie down as I was breathless and could hardly speak. Monday, I got up and felt better. I haven't eaten much, a little cereal and lots of drinks. Every day now I feel a little better.

Comment from: zbambi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My flu symptoms started Thanksgiving Day and continued for 11 days. In addition to the fever, chills, sore throat, and nausea, my skin felt tender to the touch on my arms and back. My doctor started me on Levaquin, and I believe it helped somewhat. My son had the flu too. His symptoms were much like mine. I still can not smell or taste well, just sweet or salty. I can't remember the last time I was this sick.

Comment from: eaf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I work in a pediatric clinic and received my flu shot. On Friday, about three weeks after the shot, I started to get a sore throat that lasted two days. It was mostly on the top of my mouth where it hurt. It was an unusual sore throat. I thought I may have had strep throat. I never had it before, so I wasn't sure what it felt like. I worked all weekend and just felt “blah.” My nose was running, and I felt more tired than usual. Then I started getting this hacky, barky, dry cough. I really felt like maybe I had pneumonia. My eyes got glassy feeling, and I was weaker than weak. I went to work on Monday. By the end of the night, I could hardly hold up my head to drive home. My normal body temperature is around 97. My temperature was about 99.9. That is high for me. I went to bed after taking some p.m. cold medicine. I woke up with severe stomach cramps and nausea. I couldn't go to the bathroom, but the pain was horrible, and I was on the verge of vomiting. I tool a Pepto Bismol tablet and finally got to sleep. I was yawning a lot, which was unusual. I went through half a box of tissues throughout the night. I still had the cough too. I had no appetite at all. I did drink flavored water. Today is day five since the onset of my flu. I am feeling a bit better and have eaten some. I still have nasal congestion, aches, fatigue and a cough.

Comment from: PlanoSusie R.N., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I am an R.N., and I did not get the flu shot! Of course, I got the flu! Sunday morning I felt exhausted, but I went on to church. I had aching in my back, legs, and arms, which I thought was from lifting and cooking for Turkey Day. Then I had diarrhea on Monday, followed by nausea. I have been home now for six days. I have not slept uninterrupted due to an awful sore throat. Then it moved to my sinuses, and now I have a slight dry cough. I am up writing this feeling that maybe, just maybe, I am going to live! I lived on homemade soup, hot teas, and diet cokes. I missed five days of work and may still be out on Monday! To go out and contaminate others is the cruelest thing one can do: Stay home!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

High fever, throwing up, body aches, sore throat and extreme tiredness were the symptoms I encountered when I had the flu.

Comment from: BDM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My flu started with a sore throat that went into my chest. I thought I was getting bronchitis at first, but then the aching bones came. I then developed a cough, which has made by ribs ache and hurts every time I cough. This has made me lose my voice. I also am suffering from very violent sneezing, which has not abated. I am in my sixth day of it now, and I still feel woozy, although my cough is easing slightly. I am very sensitive to antibiotics; in fact, I have yet to try one that doesn't make me even more ill.

Comment from: kgeebeck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I woke Saturday morning with cold sores covering my top lip. It was followed by body aches and a dry cough. It is now Monday, and the cough has subsided, but I'm still achy. When I do cough, my chest is very sore from all the coughing I did yesterday. So far, I've treated the symptoms with over-the-counter medications.

Comment from: R.M Taunton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I thought that over the past 60 years that I had experienced the flu. I now know that to be untrue. It started with a silly cough, quickly spreading to the worst sore throat that I have ever had. Within just a few hours, I was a shivering wreck. All of this was followed by an attack of the runs. Sleep was impossible because of a constant nagging cough and the sore throat. I am now into day four. The cough has slightly relented, although when I do cough, it reminds me of the sore ribs and back that I now have. I can now see how the elderly and infirmed have to suffer. I can honestly say that there have been one or two occasions over the past four days when I really questioned whether I would make it. The sore throat was one of the worst experiences of my life. I am writing this while I am feeling a little better, but I know that in just a short while it can all come flooding back. And to think that this is just a flu bug!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Ten days after I took the flu shot, I began to feel cold and tired. After freezing all night, I developed a headache and tenderness in the back of my head. Then the neck and shoulder burning, and pain in my joints began. It scared me enough to go to my doctor who confirmed influenza type A by nasal swab. The joint pain, headache, lethargy and chills have persisted for four days so far. I have no respiratory symptoms and mild nausea.

Comment from: Paul, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

My influenza symptoms were a high fever (102.6 degrees), extreme fatigue, aches in my knees and joints, and a stuffy head and headache. After three days of this, I went to the doctor. He gave me one shot and some antibiotics. After that I had one day of rest, and then back to work.

Comment from: mayang_203, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I started out with a little bit of dizziness and aching bones. The later the day got, the more blurry my eyesight got, and the more I felt as if I needed to lie down. By day two, I could not get up because of being so dizzy. I had a tremendous headache, a fever, and no appetite whatsoever. My flu ended with a burning, sore throat.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My flu started with an internal chill that lasted for a couple of hours, and going to bed fully dressed did not ease the shaking. I developed a few aches and general lethargy. The worst symptom is/was the sore throat. It was burning and swollen to the point of not being able to swallow. I tried honey (straight off the spoon), warm honey/lemon drink, throat lozenges, gargling aspirin, milk. I only found relief with ice-cream. After a visit to a doctor two days ago, things are improving with antibiotics, especially for the snotty nose and cough. The sore throat is still here, and I'm still finding relief with ice cream. I have not been at work for a week, and probably won't be for another few days at least.

Comment from: Loraine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I just had my annual flu shot. Within half an hour I had severe cramps in my thigh and I can still barely walk. I feel very tired and my arm is sore. I guess it's better than having the flu, as I have asthma. I am 59 and have not had a bad reaction in eight years. I do hope I can walk to work tomorrow.

Comment from: sick in Mich., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This started as swollen glands in my neck, in the morning. 6 p.m. same day, gastrointestinal pain, 7:30 p.m. started vomiting and having diarrhea. Laid down at 8:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m. more vomiting and diarrhea, very violent. 12:30 a.m. more vomiting and dry heaves and more diarrhea. Slept until 6 a.m. woke up with severe headache. I go back to bed. I also, have been freezing since yesterday evening. Took hot bath, tried to eat some yogurt, diarrhea again. No vomiting today so far. I am still cold, and I still have a headache.

Comment from: pixiedust, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Symptoms of extreme lethargy, muscle aches, especially in joints, and chills started 5 days ago. Headache, coughing and sneezing followed a few days afterward along with diarrhea and nausea. I'm drinking lots of fluids but have very little appetite. I'm also taking aspirin and hot lemon drink and hot black and green teas.

Comment from: dviss29, Female (Patient) Published: September 18

It started with really liquidy diarrhea. Then my stomach has felt queasy all day. I was afraid to eat, became sick, and now I have body aches, and I feel tired.

Comment from: Lynlen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have the flu — this is the fifth day since onset. I have a fever and extreme fatigue. I have no problem breathing or filling my lungs without pain, but after a sleepless night of severe coughing up mucus, my rib cage area is extremely sore. It hurts to cough.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I have been having intermittent nausea throughout the day for about a week with my flu. I feel tired and not real clear in my head after I have been up for a while. I have a pain in my stomach at times, headache/congestion, a slight runny nose, and most consistently, a sore throat.

Comment from: priceless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have type A flu confirmed by lab test. I am on day 8 and still really sick. Body aches, fever on and off, extreme fatigue.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter