Inflammatory breast cancer is a rare type of breast cancer that spreads to the lymphatic system, causing signs and symptoms of inflammation in the involved breast. It is an aggressive form of breast cancer.
Many breast cancers do not cause symptoms or signs at diagnosis, but inflammatory breast cancer is different. It produces characteristic symptoms including swelling, warmth, and redness of the breast. Other associated symptoms can include pitting, skin changes, dimpling, bruising, inversion of the nipple, burning pain, tenderness, and a rapid increase in the size of the breast. Enlarged lymph nodes in the underarm or beneath the collarbone may be present.
Causes of inflammatory breast cancer
The causes of inflammatory breast cancer are unknown.
Other inflammatory breast cancer symptoms and signs
- Breast Dimpling or Pitting Like an Orange Peel (Peau d'Orange)
- Breast Discoloration or Bruising
- Breast Pain or Tenderness
- Breast Redness
- Breast Swelling
- Breast Warmth
- Changes in Skin of the Breast
- Inverted Nipples
- Itchy Breast
- Quick Increase in the Breast Size
- Swollen Lymph Nodes Below the Collarbone or in the Underarm
Main Article on Inflammatory Breast Cancer Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
10 Things Young Women Should Know About Breast Cancer
Is breast cancer genetic? Should I get tested for the BRCA gene? What every young women should know about breast cancer. Discover...
Breast Cancer Awareness: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Learn about breast cancer causes, symptoms, tests, recovery, and prevention. Discover the types of treatments such as surgery and...
Breast Cancer Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
This Breast Cancer Quiz features signs, symptoms, facts, causes, common forms, terms, risk factors, statistics, and more. ...
Breast Cancer: Where It Can Spread
When breast cancer spreads, or metastasizes, it often goes to these five places: the lymph nodes, bones, liver, lungs, and brain....
Picture of Breast Anatomy
The breast refers to the front of the chest or, more specifically, to the mammary gland. See a picture of Breast Anatomy and...
Examples of Medications for Inflammatory Breast Cancer Symptoms and Signs
- Abraxane (paclitaxel protein-bound particles)
- anastrozole (Arimidex)
- Enhertu (fam-trastuzumab deruxtecan-nxki)
- exemestane - oral, Aromasin
- Faslodex (fulvestrant) Injection
- Herceptin (trastuzumab)
- Kisqali (ribociclib)
- letrozole (Femara)
- Margenza (margetuximab-cmkb)
- Nerlynx (neratinib)
- pertuzumab (Perjeta)
- Side Effects of Perjeta (pertuzumab)
- Side Effects of Proleukin (aldesleukin)
- tamoxifen (Soltamox, Nolvadex)
- Verzenio (abemaciclib)
- Vijoice (alpelisib)
- Zoladex (goserelin acetate)