Patient Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ames, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had 6 months of IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms following a fibromyalgia diagnosis. All tests were done. I was told I had inflammation in my stomach. I bought the book, 'Breaking the vicious cycle,' and started eating gluten free, lactose free and sugar free. I also eliminated processed foods and followed the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) in the book. My IBS symptoms went away and I continued to eat the SCD diet for 14 months. I feel great and I continue to limit gluten, sugar and lactose. I've told many people about the book/diet. It really saved me.

Comment from: Stomachfluugh, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 20

My gastroenteritis started 2 days ago with a hot flash and then the heat died down. Then I got a fever of 100 degrees. I had skin pain and achy muscles and skin, and felt very weak. I was fatigued, moody, and tired, had vertigo. Then yesterday the stomach symptoms came; cramping, diarrhea, gas. I can't eat anything because it tastes funny and makes me so nauseous. I have constant nausea and skin pain. Feels like I want to vomit but I can't as of yet. Now my fiance who I live with is very sick because he caught it from me. His started with bad stomach cramps, and 10 minutes later he got up out of bed and through up everywhere projectile. He doesn't have a fever yet. Funny, mine started with fever, etc.

Comment from: Lonnie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have suffered for years with bouts of raging diarrhea. I was finally diagnosed with collagenous colitis. Drugs were steroids, i.e., Entocort, then Lialda was added. After one year on Lialda I was hospitalized with a condition later diagnosed as 'drug induced lupus'. I am currently taking no drugs and limited GMOs and gluten (though I don't test positive for gluten intolerance).

Comment from: linda77, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 1986 and had the diseased portion removed by surgery. My Crohn's disease has remained in remission. I recently started having very bad gas. Recently, I went for a colonoscopy and no signs of the disease but my small bowel has narrowed somewhat and the diagnosis by the surgeon was to leave it alone. The bad gas is limiting my activity. If I am going out I have to not eat until I get back or have "Ensure" or take a laxative to make sure my bowel is empty. I am frustrated with this problem. I think my next move will see my gastroenterologist in Vancouver, B.C.

Comment from: Twinkles, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have been given Metronidazole 3 times a day. Have been taking it 4 days. I still have diarrhea. Taking meds for that too.

Inflammatory Bowel Disease Slideshow Pictures