Patient Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience

Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: M79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I cannot move my bowels. I go very little; for over 3 months. I have a doctor appointment on Monday.

Comment from: loving daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 26

I have just read several posting's and I can relate to several in the care my mother is receiving (or lack there of). She has been sick for almost three years and lost over 25 lbs. The doctors have treated her with anti-depressants and fiber. The symptons persit with swelling after the second meal of the day to the point of vomiting. She is mal-nourished and now on a liquid diet. We are pushing with the current GI doctor for some answers after several Barium x-rays and CAT scans we do not have any.

Comment from: drleac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I am a sufferer of Crohns Disease and more recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Double Whammy! My pain in my lower right quadrant of my stomach was so intense; I was literally bending in half. The frequency of diarrhea is still a consistent problem. (Appx. 7-10 times a day) Still losing weight; approx. 18-19 lbs. so far in almost 2 months. I was also told that I also have narrowing of small intestine, so therefore; I have been taken off any fiber, any fruit, with the exception of bananas and any skinned fruit in which skin has to be removed, and all vegetables except those are to be considered to be root vegetables, which to the best of my knowledge consists of potato, (white and sweet), beets, carrots, parsnips, and most recently discovered that onions are root vegetables. My Dr. has me on Entocort, Flagyl, and was just told to order VSL#3(Probiotics), consisting of live bacteria and germs. I have not yet started that method yet. I will be starting VSL#3 this coming week. I do not know if this information will be helpful to any of the other sufferers out there. All I know is that I am still suffering, though not quite as intense, but nonetheless, still suffering. I truly hope that something will soon help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I developed an anal fistula that began about 4-5 inches above the anus and exited and drained through an opening in my buttocks. It would not heal and after about 2 years of dealing with this a colon rectal specialist suggested a series of surgeries (fistulotomies) to cure this, but probably would have left me incontinent of stool. A colon rectal specialist in Houston,TX (associated with a training program for colon rectal specialists) was able to cure this condition with a simple surgery that left me with full control of my sphincter muscle. A flap of intestinal wall was sewn over the hole in the rectum and it healed and I have no recurrent problems. So if you are faced with this type of problem, do not settle for numerous fistulotomies. Look further.

Comment from: Gottagogogo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had a bloating feeling with bouts of constipation and loose stool for about the last two weeks and have been taking some supplements for some time along with a stool softener. It just seems as if it came upon me suddenly. Normally, I would contribute this to something I ate, but this just won't go away. I am drinking eight to 10 glasses of distilled water a day and taking two tsp of Benefiber each evening with a glass or two of water. It is really wearing me out, and I'm making about six to10 visits to the bathroom each day. Mostly I pass loose brown stool. I also pass lots of gas during the day and have lots of belching too.

Comment from: flem, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I've had lower pain for more than four months . Even after a bowel movement, it still feels like I have to use the washroom. I've had had x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. They all say nothing is wrong. Hmm…

Comment from: m109sito20002yahoo.c, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

It hurts my lower back when I walk on stairs and it goes to the front. I feel better when I wrap my stomach with a bandage.

Comment from: Rox, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I suffer from Crohn's Disease and also had a major resection about 20 years ago. Of course, the site of my anastomosis has new and ongoing ulceration, which is getting progressively worse. I was on a maintenance dose of Imuran for many years and started Remicade, which did not work well for me. As a result of my most recent colonoscopy, the ulceration is worse. And as a result of the resection, I suffer from malabsorption of nutrients as my ileum and a portion of my cecum was removed. I have to take B-12 shots for life. I am concerned and would like to use some dietary and natural remedies to heal the ulceration if possible. When using Remicade, my liver numbers were sky high as well.

Comment from: jackeline., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I have pain in my left side near my rib cage. It feels like I am sore as if something is causing me to feel raw. My bowel can be quiet for a few days. I need something to make me go to the toilet, and when I do go I find my stool goes into my private parts and I have to push my hand in my privates to pass a stool.

Comment from: sassy6668, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 13

Eight weeks ago, my 15-year-old son came home from a party having to desperately go to the bathroom. For the next two weeks, he was going to the bathroom constantly with some vomiting. He had pains in his stomach as well. He had a CAT scan to check his appendix (it wasn't his appendix) and blood work. It was not determined what was wrong. He felt OK for the next few weeks, and then it started up again. He has since had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. They took biopsies and more blood and urine tests and stool tests. Everything came out negative. The GI doctor did say that he read the CAT scan and thought there was some inflammation in the small intestine; however, it came out negative for Crohn's disease. There was a little bit of blood in the urine and also the stool. He is now scheduled for a barium X-ray. He has lost about 10 pounds. He is feeling a little better and is able to eat; however, he still has pain in the lower left side of his stomach, especially after he eats. The doctor is now asking me if he has been depressed or doesn't want to go to school, and I get the feeling that they think he might be exaggerating. My son has missed a lot of school because of this and is now very upset because he has a lot of work to make up. He is in pain and very frustrated because the doctor cannot find out what is wrong.

Comment from: JRobbins, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am a 42-year-old female. Here's what I have experienced: It starts with a regular stool followed by several watery stools. Once the watery stool begins, a severe burning sensation fills my abdomen. The watery stool has an acidic odor to it. I feel as though I could vomit, and I wish that I could. These symptoms last about 30 minutes to an hour. Afterward, I feel weak. This has occurred about four or five times over the last year.

Comment from: beckymc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had Crohn's Disease for the past 26 years. My first surgery was a bowel resection and worked for several years although I still had diarrhea all the time which I could deal with. After an upper GI they found four strictures and one of them was rather long and very narrowed. I put off seeing a surgeon for several months and then the pain, gas, and bloating became too much. I am now scheduled for a stricturoplasty next month and hopeful that this will help. The part I don't understand is why they do this instead of just removing the affected area? This is on my list to ask the doctor. I feel very pleased that I found a surgeon that will spend time with me to answer questions and doesn't rush me. He told me to call if I have any questions, so I'm making a list so I only have to call once. I'm actually looking forward to the surgery because I don't want to deal with the pain anymore.

Comment from: Janae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have pain in the lower tip of a left rib. I had numerous tests performed, and my doctor says I have IBS. The only symptom that I have that is similar to IBS is sometimes I get constipated. Whenever I eat, there is bearable pain. Even when drinking water, I can feel it going into my intestines. This has been going on for two years now. My doctor is not worried, but he is not living with this either.

Comment from: worried mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 02

I have a 6 year old who just recently about 2 months ago started pooping on himself day after day. I've taking him to the doctor who did blood work and urine test for various exams, but everything came back normal. She told me to give him MiraLax for some time, but this made it worse. I've changed milk and I have tried other food methods, but I feel is not helping.

Comment from: shellshell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I really don't know what I am suffering from. I have had test after test. I have a problem when I eat food my stomach will swell like I am 8 months pregnant. I will throw up. When it comes to my bowls well they have a mind of there own. One day it's hard to go then next day I cannot stop going. This has been going on for awhile now and I am lost on what to do. I had a bacteria infection and took meds for that. It has not helped my problems.

Comment from: altech, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I suffer from IBS and most of inflammation is under my rib cage, a lot of acid stuck and spasms a lot. I also have rectal spasm. I've tried a lot of prescription drugs, but nothing works. I've looked on the Internet and the first thing that pops up is stress which I believe is true.

Comment from: alba, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Have been diagnosed with IBS many years ago, I am now having major belching and terrible pain in my colon am under the care of a GI doctor and have recently had a colonoscopy and had 5 polyps but none of them was cancer. The belching will begin and then the terrible pain starts I will then have several bowel movements whilst the colon is causing me a lot of pain, which does not subside until the colon is completely empty.

Comment from: Geraldo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a 42 year old man in Dublin Ireland, and for the last 5/6 months have been experiencing left side abdominal pain with frequent constipation and a lot of flatulence. I had a colonoscopy on April 1st and just yesterday had a barium meal x ray. The colonoscopy revealed “sigmoid spasm" and some inflammation in the small bowel. I have no blood in stools or weight loss. The pain is uncomfortable but not severe probably a 3/10.

Comment from: ouch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Last year I had 6 polyps removed from my large intestine during a colonopathy. I now have what feels like hemorrhoids and packed bowels. The pain is unbearable. The doctor said that I have skin tags and that I would be okay. He prescribed the Protonix for me that helps some. But the pain and bleeding is awful. Is there anything else that I can do for this?

Comment from: Tired mom, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I am a mother of a 24-year-old son with ulcerative colitis. He was diagnosed as an infant and was in remission until his 16th year. He has been haunted with flare-ups ever since. We have now conquered a drug addition (for now) with codeine that was prescribed by various doctors for the pain. The doctors were unaware of his growing addition, as was I. He is now in the middle of a flare-up and is unsure how to proceed to deal with the pain.

Comment from: a1gobby, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

My 12 year old son has had bleeding from his bottom now and again but not much. However, he went to the toilet today, and along with the stools was a lot of blood, diluted black current in colour (deep red) his aunt suffers from Crohn's disease, could he have it, or is it something less severe?

Comment from: soilmahel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I suffer from constipation but then when I do go I am in severe pain and go for about 8 hours. I have chills and have noticed mucus in bowel the doctor never seems to help me. All he does is give me routine colonoscopy and never goes any further. I have lived with this for along time It seems the pain is spreading now to my whole left side and my lower back where you kidneys would be.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter