The inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC). The intestinal complications of Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis differ because of the characteristically dissimilar behaviors of the intestinal inflammation in these two diseases. Read more: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Intestinal Problems of IBD) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Causes and Treatments
Learn how to get rid of hemorrhoids, the difference between internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids, what causes...
Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions
Learn about the digestive system and common misconceptions of digestive disorders. Read about what causes ulcers, heartburn,...
IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Symptoms, Diet, Treatment
What is irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Learn about symptoms, causes, and foods that trigger IBS. Get lifestyle tips for managing...
19 Constipation Myths and Facts
Before constipation can be treated, it has to be understood. Find out whether fiber, water exercise and more can help with...
Ulcerative Colitis Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
Ulcerative Colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease and is slightly different than Crohn's disease. Your diet can impact...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What is inflammatory bowel disease? IBD can include Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Learn more about testing, treatments,...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Peptic Ulcer
A hole in the lining of the stomach, duodenum, or esophagus. See a picture of Peptic Ulcer and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Stomach
The stomach is a muscular sac located on the left side of the upper abdomen. See a picture of the Stomach and learn more about...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Related Disease Conditions
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis refers to inflammation of the inner lining of the colon. Symptoms of the inflammation of the colon lining include...
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding)
Blood in the stool or rectal bleeding (hematochezia) refers to the passage of bright red blood from the anus. Common causes...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Kidney stones are solid masses of crystalline material that form in the kidneys. Symptoms of kidney stones can include pain,...
Colon cancer is a malignancy that arises from the inner lining of the colon. Most, if not all, of these cancers develop from...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Steroid Drug Withdrawal
Corticosteroid drugs such as prednisone and prednisolone are commonly used to treat asthma, allergic reactions, RA, and IBD....
Pernicious anemia is a blood disorder in which the body does not make enough red blood cells due to a lack of vitamin B12 in the...
Costochondritis and Tietze Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
Ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammation of the colon. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding....
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)
Abdominal adhesions (scar tissue) bands of scar tissue that form between abdominal organs and tissues. Symptoms of abdominal...
Scleritis is inflammation of the white part of the eye. It may be caused by a serious underlying condition, such as an autoimmune...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
FODMAPs (Low FODMAP Diet for IBS)
FODMAPs are foods that contain sugar alcohols and short chain carbohydrates. The gut can't digest them very well. There are "low"...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize serious diseases and health problems like strokes, heart attacks, cancers, reproductive problems in...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Shigellosis is a disease caused by the Shigella bacteria. Bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fever are common symptoms. Mild...
Bronchiectasis (Acquired, Congenital)
Bronchiectasis has three types: 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, 3) and cystic...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Are Canker Sores Contagious?
Canker sores or aphthous ulcers are one of the most common causes of painful sores in the mouth. The actual cause of canker sores...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Pelvic Pain (in Women and Men)
There are numerous causes of pelvic pain in women and men. Causes of pelvic pain in women and men include: Pelvic pain...
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis)
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis (juvenile rheumatoid arthritis or JRA) annually affects one child in every thousand. There are six...
Is Crohn's Disease Contagious?
Crohn's disease, a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), and is characterized by symptoms and signs that...
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI)
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency or EPI is a condition in which a person's pancreas can't produce or secrete certain enzymes...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Diet: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a name for a group of diseases in which there is inflammation of the digestive tract...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Experience
Please describe the inflammatory bowel disease you suffer from.Post View 44 Comments
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) - Treatments
What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication have you received for your inflammatory bowel disease?Post View 10 Comments
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Fistulas
Were you diagnosed with fistulas? Please describe your symptoms.Post
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Colon Cancer
If you have IBD, what are your concerns about developing colon cancer?Post
Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Complications
What are the complications you've experienced with IBD? How have these been treated?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Gastroenterologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Rectal Pain
- Abdominal Pain
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
- Chronic Pain
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Fecal Incontinence
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Medications & Supplements
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic
- tacrolimus (Prograf, Astagraf XL, Envarsus XR)
- mesalamine (Pentasa, Rowasa, SfRowasa, Lialda, Canasa, Apriso, Delzicol)
- polyethylene glycol 3350 (Miralax, Glycolax)
- infliximab, Remicade
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- hyoscine butylbromide-oral, Buscopan
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- Prenatal Vitamins (Side Effects and Types)
- prednisolone (Flo-Pred, Pediapred, Orapred, Orapred ODT)
- cholestyramine, Questran, Questran Light
- budesonide (Entocort EC, Uceris)
- atropine (oral, Atreza, Sal-Tropine - discontinued in the US)
- hydrocortisone oral, A-Hydrocort, Solu-CORTEE, Cortef
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- metronidazole (Flagyl) Side Effects and Adverse Effects
- mesalamine, Lialda
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) and Electrolytes
- infliximab-dyyb (Inflectra)
Prevention & Wellness
- Here's the Recipe to Keep Colon Cancer at Bay
- Country Kids Less Likely to Develop Bowel Disease Than Their City Cousins
- Scientists Spot Genes Behind Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis
- Another Reason to Breast-Feed: It's Good for Baby's Belly
- Arthritis Drug Shows Promise for Ulcerative Colitis
- Family History of Colon Cancer Calls for Earlier Screening
- Special Diet May Be Boon for Kids With Crohn's, Colitis
- Health Tip: Coping With Irritable Bowel Disease Flares
- Health Tip: What's Behind My Foot Arthritis?
- Number of Americans on Gluten-Free Diet Tripled in 5 Years
- Vitamin A Compound Might Aid in Colon Cancer Fight
- Generic Biologic Drugs Seem as Effective as Originals
- Expert Panel Reaffirms Need for Colon Cancer Screen Beginning at Age 50
- New Psoriasis Drug Works Longer Term, Too
- Colon Cancer Rising in People Under 50
- A Little Excess Weight May Boost Colon Cancer Survival
- Tumor Location Affects Colon Cancer Survival: Study
- Widely Used Heartburn Drugs Linked to Dementia Risk in Study
- New IBS Drug Eases Stomach Pain and Diarrhea for Some: Study
- The Rise of the Do-It-Yourself Fecal Transplant
- Chronic Constipation May Signal Serious Disorder
- Ultrasound Might Speed Up Digestive Drug Delivery: Animal Study
- Crohn's Disease Treatments for Kids May Not Get Gut Back to Normal
- Vitamin D, Calcium May Not Prevent Colon Cancer After All
- Many Teens With Chronic Illnesses Use Alcohol, Pot
- 'Scoring System' May Spot Those in Greatest Need of Colonoscopy
- Severe Burns May Trigger Dangerous Shifts in Gut Germs
- Colon Cancer Deaths Falling, Except in 3 U.S. Regions
- Infectious-Disease Expert Debunks Common Vaccine Myths
- Certain Painkillers May Lower Colon Cancer Risk for Some
- Additives in Processed Foods May Alter Gut Bacteria
- Mercury in Seafood May Raise Risk of Autoimmune Diseases in Women: Study
- Viruses May Play Role in Crohn's Disease, Colitis: Study
- Crohn's, Colitis May Have Genetic Underpinnings, Study Finds
- Beware Claims That Activated Charcoal Can Cure Gut Troubles
- Certain Autoimmune Drugs in Pregnancy May Up Newborn Infection Risk: Study
- Diet Changes Can Alter Gut Bacteria, Study Says
- Popular Crohn's, Colitis Drugs Not Linked to Short-Term Cancer Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Is a Stomachache Serious?
- Health Tip: Ease Cramps From Irritable Bowel
- Fecal Transplant Studied for Kids With Bowel Disease
- Buy Breast Pumps With Caution, FDA Says
- Scientists Now See 200 Genes Linked to Crohn's Disease
- 'Worm Therapy' Might Help Ease Colitis, Monkey Study Shows
- Gene Study Yields New Clues to Crohn's Disease, Colitis
- Is a New Crohn's Disease Treatment on the Horizon?
- Coffee May Speed Up Bowel Recovery From Colon Surgery
- Humira Approved for Ulcerative Colitis Treatment
- Antibiotics May Raise Bowel Disease Risk in Kids
- New Drug Might Help Treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Shingles Vaccine Safe for Those With Autoimmune Diseases: Study
- Health Tip: Signs That May Indicate Ulcerative Colitis
- Mouse Study Suggests Certain Fats Could Trigger Crohn's, Colitis
- Birth Control Pills, HRT Tied to Digestive Ills
- Could Compound in Artificial Sweeteners Worsen Crohn's Disease?
- Diagnostic Scans Tied to Radiation Risk for Gastro Patients
- Gene Mutations Linked to Crohn's Disease in Ashkenazi Jews
- New Colon Cancer Screening Guidelines Focus on Individual Risk
- Too Many Americans Skipping Colon Cancer Screening
- Tropical Trip OK for Most With Crohn's, Colitis
- Climate Tied to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Risk
- As Nations Develop, So May Bowel Disease
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Pill for RA Works as Well as Shot
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease Tied to Higher Risk of Post-Op Blood Clots
- Antibiotic Overuse May Be Bad for Body's Good Bacteria
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- Solesta Gel Approved for Fecal Incontinence
- Stress May Alter Gut Bacteria to Hinder Immune System
- Dogs Can Detect Early Colorectal Cancer
- Worm Eggs May Heal Ulcerative Colitis
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter