Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in men can be caused by medical conditions, unhealthy habits, and toxins from the environment. Infertility in women can be caused by problems with ovarian function, the Fallopian tubes, or the physical characteristics of the uterus. Methods of conceiving for couples that cannot conceive include intrauterine inseminations (IUIs) or in vitro fertilization (IVF), specific drugs, assisted reproductive technology (ART), surgery, and gestational carrier. Read more: Infertility Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
What are the effects of smoking tobacco? Besides and increased risk of smoking related diseases, smoking can affect your looks...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Low Testosterone (Low T) Treatments
What causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the...
Infertility Quiz: Test Your IQ of Infertility
What is the medical definition of infertility? Take the Infertility Quiz to learn the risks and treatment of infertility. Our...
Boost Your Fertility: Ovulation Calculator, Pregnancy Planning and More
Boost fertility and increase your chances to conceive. Learn about ovulation calendars, diet, aging and other factors that can...
Infertility: Types, Treatments, and Costs
Learn about infertility symptoms and types of treatment such as IVF, acupuncture, and natural methods to get pregnant. Read about...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Chlamydia in Women (Symptoms and Cures)
Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of chlamydia, a bacterial infection,...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Testicular Pain (Pain in the Testicles)
Testicular pain, or pain in the testicle or testicles are caused by a variety of diseases or conditions such as testicular...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is the most common and serious complication of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), aside from...
Menstruation (menstrual cycle) is also referred to as a "period." When a woman menstruates, the lining of the uterus is shed....
Low Testosterone (Low T)
Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal...
Abdominal Adhesions (Scar Tissue)
Abdominal adhesions (scar tissue) bands of scar tissue that form between abdominal organs and tissues. Symptoms of abdominal...
Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in water, soil, and the air. Mercury also is contained in some fish, some of the...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Placenta previa is a condition during pregnancy when the placenta lies low in the uterus either partly or completely blocking the...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Turner syndrome is an inherited chromosomal condition affecting women. Women with Turner syndrome do not have ovarian function,...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia
Preeclampsia is a condition in pregnant women marked by high blood pressure and a high level of protein in the urine. Eclampsia...
Miscarriage is the medical term for the spontaneous loss of pregnancy from conception to 20 weeks gestation. Risk factors for a...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), also known by the name Stein-Leventhal syndrome, is a hormonal problem that causes women to...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Getting Pregnant (Tips for Trying to Conceive)
Trying to get conceive, or become pregnant can be challenging, frustrating, and an emotional rollercoaster for some couples. A...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
People with bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder that involves episodes of bingeing and purging, experience symptoms and signs...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
Just about everybody masturbates. Masturbation itself is the self-stimulation of the male or female genitals to achieve sexual...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Reproductive health encompasses the beginning of menstruation for women, choosing the right birth control method for you and your...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Infertility - Cause
What is the cause of your infertility?Post View 22 Comments
Infertility - Experiences
Please share your experiences with infertility.Post View 4 Comments
Infertility - Treatments and Drugs
Please share what infertility treatments you underwent, and any fertility drugs you took. Also, were you able to conceive?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- clomiphene, Clomid
- danazol - oral, Danocrine
- follitropin alfa - injection, Gonal-F
- menotropins - injection, Repronex
- cetrorelix - injection, Cetrotide
- progesterone intravaginal gel (Crinone, Endometrin)
- choriogonadotropin alfa - injection, Ovidrel
- follitropin beta - injection, Follistim
- gonadotropins, chorionic - intramuscular, Chorex, Pregnyl
Prevention & Wellness
- Improve Your Odds During Infertility Treatments
- Fertility Tests May Not Be Best Gauge of Your Biological Clock
- Vaginal Bacteria Tied to Heightened Chlamydia Risk
- More Fetal Deaths, Fewer Pregnancies When Flint Had High Lead Levels in Drinking Water: Study
- As Men's Weight Rises, Sperm Health May Fall
- America's New Dads Are Older Than Ever
- Do Flame Retardants Hinder Infertility Treatments?
- Only About One-Third of Americans Use Condoms: CDC
- FDA Tells NYC Doctor to Stop Marketing Controversial Fertility Treatment
- Dad-to-Be's Age Can Affect Fertility Treatment Success
- Guys, a Noisy Bedroom May Not Be Good for Your Fertility
- Most Relationships Survive Struggles With Infertility
- Consider Acupuncture for Incontinence, Not Certain Infertility Cases
- Heart Disease: A Price Humans Pay for Fertility?
- Less Invasive Procedure May Treat Fibroids Without Harming Fertility
- Space-Stored Mouse Sperm Creates Healthy Pups
- Century-Old Technique May Help Infertile Couples Conceive Without IVF
- Shift Work May Put Damper on a Man's Sex Life
- Shooting Ranges Pose Hidden Risks: Study
- 'Menstrual Cycle in a Dish' Explores Intricacies of Female Body
- Health Insurance a Key to IVF Success, Researchers Say
- Smartphone Device Sizes Up Sperm Health
- UK Scientists Get License to Create Babies With DNA From 3 People
- Many U.S. Women Have No Access to Fertility Clinics: Study
- Daylight Savings Time May Lower Chances of IVF Success for Some: Study
- A Plug Instead of a Snip for Male Birth Control?
- Could Night Shifts, Heavy Lifting Impair a Woman's Fertility?
- 2.5 Million U.S. Women Have Condition That Can Cause Infertility
- Unlocking the Secrets of the Love Hormone Kisspeptin
- Three-Parent Baby Born to Infertile Couple
- Could Mom's Pre-Pregnancy Blood Pressure Predict Baby's Gender?
- Men Don't Know About Risks to Fertility, Survey Finds
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- Mouthwash Helps Kill Gonorrhea Germs in Mouth, Throat: Study
- First Birth Using Ovarian Tissue Frozen in Childhood
- Testosterone Therapy May Be Linked to Serious Blood Clots
- Fertility Treatments Marketed in U.K. Without Proof They Work: Study
- Online Calculator May Help Couples Predict Fertility Rx Success
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- DNA May Influence Your Reproductive Decisions
- FDA Warns of Dangers From Testosterone Supplements
- Sleep Can Affect Male Fertility
- Fewer Birth Defects for Older Moms Who Have Fertility Treatments
- Males Conceived Via Fertility Treatment May Have Weakened Sperm: Study
- Doctors Perform 1st U.S. Living-Donor Uterine Transplant
- 1st Baby Born With DNA From 3 Parents
- Can Stress Lower a Woman's Fertility?
- Know Your Risk for Ovarian Cancer -- and the Symptoms
- Frozen Embryos May Boost Pregnancy Odds for Some Women
- Infertility Patients' Mental Health Problems Often Unaddressed
- Almost 3 in 10 Women Get Pregnant Naturally After Fertility Treatments
- Mouse Study Offers Hope for Vaccine Against Chlamydia
- IVF Won't Raise Risk for Breast Cancer
- U.S. Cases of Drug-Resistant Gonorrhea Rise Fourfold in One Year
- Who's Most Likely to Seek Infertility Help
- U.K. Case of Throat Gonorrhea Resists Antibiotics
- Fertility Treatments Not Linked to Twins' Birth Defects
- Fertility Info Lacking for Young Women Who Beat Cancer
- Many Fertility Apps, Websites Miss the Mark
- Some Teen Girls Coerced Into Pregnancy: Study
- Two Genes May Raise Odds for Fraternal Twin Pregnancies
- Births of Triplets, Quadruplets on Decline in U.S.: Report
- Common Infection Caused First U.S. Uterus Transplant to Fail, Hospital Says
- Scientists Spot 'Switch' That Helps Sperm Penetrate Egg
- Male Birth Control: More Options Soon?
- Anxiety, Depression May Reduce Women's Success With IVF: Study
- Woman Who Had 1st U.S. Uterus Transplant Loses the Organ Due to Complication
- Uterus Transplant Recipient: Operation ‘A Gift'
- Surgeons Perform First U.S. Uterus Transplant
- In Mice, Scientists Turn Stem Cells Into Sperm
- Women With Asthma May Be Prone to Fertility Problems: Study
- Could IVF Raise Children's Odds for Blood Cancer?
- Soy May Counter Effects of BPA in Women Undergoing Fertility Treatments
- Gene Mutations Linked to Rare Form of Female Infertility
- Kids Born Through IVF Show No Higher Risk for Developmental Delays: Study
- More IVF Tries Improve Odds of Having a Baby
- Hormone Therapy Safely Helps Preserve Fertility for Breast Cancer Patients: Study
- Active, Passive Smoking Tied to Infertility, Early Menopause: Study
- Infertile Men May Have Higher Risk of Heart Disease, Diabetes
- Controversial Fertility Treatment Resulted in Live Births
- First Uterus Transplant Planned in U.S.
- Male Infertility Might Signal Higher Odds of Testicular Cancer
- Good Results From IVF Egg Donors Over Age 35
- Technique Could Preserve Fertility for Wounded Soldiers
- IVF Tied to Higher Ovarian Cancer Risk?
- Ovarian Tissue Transplant Can Help Some Women Have Kids After Cancer Treatment
- Sex May Boost Female Immune System to Aid Fertility
- For Unexplained Infertility, Breast Cancer Drug No Better Than Standard Treatment
- Not All Trans Fats Harm the Heart, German Study Contends
- Women's Pelvic Pain Often Unreported
- Harvesting Eggs Earlier May Boost Older Women's Pregnancy Chances
- Many Young Cancer Patients Unaware of Fertility Preservation Options
- Change in 'Pap' Test Rules Linked to Drop in STD Testing
- Genetic Test May Help Spot Male Fertility Problems
- Could These Common Pain-Relievers Lower Fertility?
- U.S. Birth Rate Records First Rise in 7 Years
- Woman Gives Birth Using Ovary Tissue Frozen in Childhood
- First Part of Ejaculate May Be Primed for Conception
- Equal Numbers of Males, Females Are Conceived: Study
- IVF Kids May Have Higher Odds of Autism, Study Finds
- 3-Parent In Vitro Fertilization: FAQ
- Plastics Chemical Tied to Changes in Boys' Reproductive Development
- U.K. Moves Closer to 3-Parent Babies
- Female Hormone Disorder Linked to Numerous Health Conditions
- Thyroid Trouble May Harm Women's Fertility, Study Finds
- Use of Male IVF Procedure Doubled in the Past Decade
- Better Outcomes for Children Born With Fertility Treatments
- Fertility Treatments Have Low Complication Rates, Study Finds
- Poor Sperm Quality May Signal Health Issues, Study Finds
- No Link Seen Between Celiac Disease, Infertility
- Many Women Don't Lose Those Pregnancy Pounds, Study Finds
- Should Men Worry About Being Too Old to Have Kids?
- Egg Freezing for a Future Pregnancy: What to Know
- Fertility Treatments Aren't Significantly Linked to Birth Defects
- Experimental Infertility Treatment Seems Effective, Cheaper
- For Infertility Treatment, Should He Drink Less Coffee, More Booze?
- Nearly 5 Percent of Young U.S. Women Have Chlamydia: CDC
- Behavioral Counseling Urged for Teens, Young Adults at Risk for STDs
- Study Ties Multiple Births to Higher Costs, Complications
- Failed Infertility Treatment Linked to Worse Mental Health in Study
- White Women More Likely to Seek Fertility Treatment: Report
- Women's Vitamin D Levels May Play Role in IVF Success
- Sperm's Anti-Germ 'Shield' Might Play Role in Fertility
- Lymphoma Treatment May Harm, Halt Men's Sperm Production
- Breast Cancer Drug May Help Women Fight a Leading Cause of Infertility: Study
- Cycling Doesn't Cause Male Infertility: Study
- 'Generally Reassuring' Findings on Fertility Drugs, Women's Cancers
- Sperm Donor Age May Not Affect Infertility Treatment Success: Study
- Cellphone Exposure May Harm Male Fertility
- Pot Use Might Be Linked to Abnormal Sperm
- Sperm Swim Against the Current, Study Finds
- No Link Found Between Low Sperm Count, Birth Defects
- Sperm, Semen Defects May Be Linked to Shorter Life Spans
- More Women Delaying First Pregnancy: CDC
- Older Infertile Couples Should Try In Vitro Fertilization First: Study
- More STD Screening on Horizon for Women?
- Mouse Study Reveals New Secrets of Fertilization
- Fertility Drugs May Not Raise Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Stress May Diminish a Woman's Fertility, Study Suggests
- Higher Dose of IVF Drug May Be Needed for Obese Women
- Women Born Small May Be at Risk of Infertility, Study Suggests
- FDA Explores '3-Person' Embryo Fertilization
- Baby May Help Keep Couples With Fertility Problems Together
- Wealthier Women More Likely to Use Fertility Services: CDC
- Mekinist Plus Tafinlar Approved for Late-Stage Melanoma
- FDA OKs 2-Drug Combo Treatment for Advanced Melanoma
- FDA Warns Consumers Against Body-Building Supplement
- Fertility Treatments Behind High Rates of Multiple Births: Study
- Women With Asthma May Take Longer to Get Pregnant: Study
- IVF Conception Doesn't Seem to Raise Kids' Cancer Risk: Study
- Study Raises Questions About Testosterone Therapy
- Two Pesticides Tied to Higher Risk of Gynecological Disorder
- Donor Eggs Increasingly Used for IVF, With Rising Success
- Cinnamon May Help Ease Common Cause of Infertility, Study Says
- Multiple Egg Donations May Not Affect Women's Future Fertility: Study
- Parents Who Used Donor Eggs Often Struggle Over Decision to Tell Kids
- Use of Donor Sperm by Lesbians Rises in Canada, Study Finds
- New Test May Spot Which Embryos Stand Greatest Chance of Survival
- Births From Fertility Treatments Hit 5 Million Mark: Report
- Exercise Might Boost Men's Sperm Counts, Study Finds
- New Infertility Treatment Leads to First Baby, Researchers Report
- Infertility Rate Declines Among U.S. Couples
- Plastics Chemical BPA May Harm Human Fertility: Study
- Shift Work Might Affect Women's Periods, Fertility: Study
- Obesity May Reduce Odds of IVF Success, Study Finds
- IVF Tied to Small Risk of Mental Deficits in Children
- 'Three Parent IVF' Technique Set for Approval
- Public Funding Spurs Couples to Seek Fertility Treatment
- Testosterone Supplements May Hurt Male Fertility, Study Finds
- Birth Rates Good After Implanting 1 Embryo, Study Finds
- Too Much TV Tied to Lower Sperm Count in Young Men
- Ob/Gyn Group Urges Docs to Help Prevent 'Octomom'-Type Multiple Births
- Blood Clots During Pregnancy More Likely After IVF, Study Says
- Nearly 50 Million Couples Worldwide Report Infertility
- Sperm Counts Dropping for French Men: Study
- Kids May Be at Slightly Higher Asthma Risk If Parents Had Infertility Treatments
- Adoption Can Boost Quality of Life for Infertile Couples, Study Finds
- Sperms' Length Linked to Men's Fertility
- Are Common Chemicals Affecting Your Fertility?
- Mother's Menopause May Influence Her Daughter's Fertility
- Couples' Sexual Relationships Can Suffer During IVF, Study Finds
- Common Antidepressants Too Risky During Pregnancy, Researchers Say
- Obese Boys, Impotent Men?
- Too Much Dairy, Carbs Might Harm Men's Sperm
- Egg Freezing as Viable as 'Fresh' Eggs, Fertility Experts Say
- Infertility Treatment May Raise Birth Defect Risk
- Millions of Healthy Years of Life Lost to Cancer Worldwide
- Scientists Uncover Genetic Link for Uterine Fibroids
- Animal Study Ties Common Chemical to Reproductive Problems
- Treating Sperm With Missing Protein Might Help Male Fertility
- Severely Obese Women Attempting IVF May Have Lower Egg Quality
- Vitamins, Minerals May Help Older Men's Sperm Stay Healthy
- No Truth to Akin's Claim That Rape Hinders Pregnancy, Experts Say
- Walnuts May Improve Sperm Quality in Healthy Men
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- Young Cancer Patients Often Lack Support: Study
- Scientists Map Genomes of One Man's Sperm
- Can Fertility Treatments Influence Later Breast Cancer Risk?
- Coffee, Fats May Affect Fertility Treatment
- 5 Million 'Test Tube' Babies Born to Date
- Heavy Coffee Intake May Affect Fertility Treatments: Study
- Under Right Conditions, Fertility Treatment Can Equal Natural Conception Rates: Study
- Simple Lifestyle May Limit Exposure to Chemicals
- Could Fertility Drugs Make Kids Shorter?
- Heavy Drinking, Smoking Won't Harm Men's Sperm: Study
- Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea Spreading: WHO
- IVF at Young Age May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- Men and Women With Cancer May Receive Different Fertility Information
- Flame Retardant Found in Some Common Foods
- Discovery of Gene May Lead to New Male Contraceptive
- Early Study Hints at Link Between Certain Sunscreens, Endometriosis
- Sunscreen Ingredient Linked to Endometriosis
- Sperm Collide Along Liquid Maze on Way to Fertilize Egg
- More College-Educated Women Having Children
- Infertility Treatments May Raise Birth Defect Risk
- Baldness Drug May Cause Sexual Side Effects: FDA
- Uncomfortable on Bike? Check Handlebars
- Fatty Foods Might Harm Men's Sperm, Research Suggests
- Coming Soon: At-Home Sperm Test for Couples Trying to Conceive
- Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis Affect Birth Rates
- Experts Warn of Antibiotic-Resistant Gonorrhea
- Acupuncture May Boost Pregnancy Success Rates
- Breast Cancer Before 50 Linked to More Distress
- Health Highlights: Jan. 11, 2012
- IVF: Are 3 Embryos Too Many to Transfer?
- Endometriosis Tied to Higher Risk of Crohn's, Colitis
- Birth Defects Seem Rare in Kids of Childhood Cancer Survivors
- 19 Million New STD Infections Reported Annually, CDC Says
- STD Complication May Double Infertility Risk
- IVF May Raise Risk for Less Aggressive Ovarian Cancer
- Katrina's Aftermath: Failed Pregnancies for IVF Moms Nationwide
- Health Tip: Does My Pain Mean Endometriosis?
- Is Female Hormone Disorder Tied to Familial Heart Risk?
- Health Woes Still Strike Women Exposed to Banned Pregnancy Drug
- Study: BPA Common in Kids' Canned Foods
- IUDs May Lower Women's Risk for Cervical Cancer: Study
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- Antibody Could Help Predict Ovarian Cancer
- How Fast Is Your Biological Clock Ticking?
- Eating Disorders Affect Fertility, Pregnancy
- Gene Mutation May Be Linked to Male Infertility
- CDC: Untreatable Gonorrhea a Possibility
- Eating Fresh Foods May Cut Exposure to BPA
- EPA Proposes New Mercury Air Pollution Rules
- New Debate on Link Between Stress, Infertility
- Flame Retardant Found in Butter
- Infertility: No Link to Cerebral Palsy Risk
- High BPA Levels May Hurt Sperm Quality
- Study: No Need to Delay Pregnancy After Miscarriage
- IVF Babies May Have Slightly Higher Cancer Risk
- New Method for Predicting IVF Success
- IVF Babies and Major Birth Defects
- Gonorrhea Getting Harder to Treat
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter