Patient Comments: Infectious Mononucleosis (Mono) - Symptoms

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joanna, Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I started feeling under the weather for 2 days prior to full break out of mononucleosis. I still went to work and found that I was able to control my symptoms by taking painkillers like Tylenol every 4 hours. On the second day, I was feeling mildly fatigued and just again slightly under the weather. After work I again took 2 Tylenol, but by 8 pm I started experiencing the worst chills and started getting a fever. I went to bed and woke up to vomiting in the early hours. No sore throat though. I developed severe fatigue, so much so that I could not even sit up to drink. After the 4th day of this I went to the doctor. He checked me for flu and said that it was most likely the flu. After 8 days I went back to the doctor. The flu test was negative, so he ran a series of blood tests and found that I had an acute infection of infectious mononucleosis. My abdomen was very tender and I had an enlarged spleen, a low neutrophil count, a very high lymphocyte count and very high liver enzymes. This is my 3rd week and I am still running a low grade fever along with the most debilitating fatigue that never seems to abate. Today is the start of my 4th week and is the first day where I have not had a fever. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of it. Never in my life have I felt so ill, not since strep throat. This is not a disease that adults should get. Symptoms are much worse for adults.

Comment from: GG, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I got mononucleosis when I was 24, from kissing. First I had a very bad sore throat that didn't go away even with antibiotics, so my doctor gave me a HIV test. I felt very weak and dizzy for a few days. A couple of weeks later I had a large swollen gland in my neck, then my tongue and throat got coated in white guck and I was covered in a rash. It turns out the rash was an allergy to the antibiotics. By the time I found out I had mono, about 3 weeks after first showing symptoms, I felt much better and it went away.

Comment from: Jackie, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

My daughter has been sick on and off for at least 6 weeks, maybe more. She went to an ENT who noticed no symptoms and sent her away with an allergy regime consisting of Claritin and nasal spray. The very next day her tonsils swelled up and she went to the urgent care where she was quickly dismissed with tonsillitis. She's away at college so I hadn't noticed how bad off she was until she came home for a weekend and she was so weak she barely moved from her bed for the 3 days she was here. She went back and continued to get worse. Exhausted, fatigued, and sensitive to sun, heat, and light. She broke a fever frequently crossing the parking lot to her classes. I finally looked for an internal medicine doctor who proceeded to run a large blood panel that returned negative until I insisted on a strep, mononucleosis, and Epstein-Barr virus test. Finally, bingo she has mono. She at times has been so sick I wanted to call an ambulance. The headaches have been excruciating for her luckily keeping to evenings so she hasn't had to bear that all day. More concerning has been the strange pains through the neck, head and pain that has traveled through her shoulders and hands. She was given an antiviral and 5 days of steroids which seem to have boosted her energy just enough to get through the day. I hope she doesn't have a 6 month or 1 year recovery like some doctors report.

Comment from: Becky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I contracted mononucleosis two years ago. I was in the hospital for 11 days. I had very high levels of bilirubin but the weird thing was I had severe pain. It started in my head, went to the middle of my back then to my lower back and hips and weirdly enough ended in my right elbow. I was on a cocktail of painkillers that did not touch the pain. I have lasting damage in my hands and arms and experience severe leg cramping and hand seizures now. No doctors around here seem to know or care what it was or what can be done. It's disappointing to say the least. Two years! My energy is not what it was and my hands and arms are very weak.

Comment from: student1234, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis 8 weeks ago and I stopped feeling bad about 5 weeks ago. When diagnosed I had several lymph nodes swollen in and around my neck. While the ones underneath my jaw and above shoulder have definitely gone down, I still have four on the neck that haven't. I have two on each side of my neck. One of them is bigger than the rest, it is like hot dog in shape and is maybe 1.5 cm, the other ones are very skinny and maybe 1 cm, the bigger one though is bit wider than the others. I don't have any symptoms of weight loss, loss of appetite, tiredness, stomach pain, throat pain, night sweats, unusual bleeding, etc.

Comment from: Cmzg, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My child has been running a temperature since 1/22/15 and was taken to the doctor. First she tested positive for strep and they put her on medications. I took her back to the doctors who told us she had mononucleosis but didn't have it now. It's been 3 weeks and all she wants to do is sleep, and tells us she is tired. My daughter has disabilities and she can't really tell us what's going on, we really need help to know how we can make her drink and eat.

Comment from: V M, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was 57 when I had mononucleosis. I was very tired and had a sore throat. I was so fatigued, my hands and legs shook and I was sick for about 2 months. I could barely sign my name at work.

Comment from: farm girl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 69 years old, and had mononucleosis (mono) in high school. I was on bed rest for weeks. I don't remember what symptoms, I had just the long bed rest (no bedroom TVs or laptops then). I just got a call from the doctor that I have it again. Four days ago I hurt all over, all my joints and even my skin hurt to touch. All I wanted to do was sleep. First day skin felt hot, but I didn't have a thermometer. That happened on and off. Walking across a room I broke out in a cold sweat, like someone sucked all the juice out of me. I had no appetite night sweats. I wondered if it was hot flashes again at my age! On the 3rd day I called my doctor and asked for a tick panel. She ordered a ton of tests, including mono since it was on my health profile. Iron is also low. No lifting or heavy exercise for 6 weeks. Only positive these last few days is 5 lb. lost. Really think I have had outbreaks off and on over the years but this is the worst and longest the pain and fatigue has lasted. We are both 69 and extremely active, have a farm, horses, bird dogs, beef cattle, heat with wood, hike etc. (60 is the new 40). I knew something was wrong. Hope I don't get the gland throat things this time.

Comment from: Shabbypainter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had mononucleosis when I was 14, now I am 58. I was very ill, had to sleep with the windows blacked out, no lights in the room. My head ache was so bad I could hear a pin drop, it would hurt. I slept for days. I was at home not in the hospital; in my day they didn"t do that, they just sent you home. But it did hurt me in the long run, it had caused neurology problems the rest of my life. I have seizures.

Comment from: pinktwin147, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I slept away the whole of July 2013 with what I later learned to be mononucleosis. The symptoms must have begun earlier but since I have a sleep disorder I didn't notice anything wrong until July. I literally slept the whole month away. I woke to eat a little and bathroom breaks. By the 7th of August I was disgusted but feeling better and went to visit family in the States. To date no one has suffered from my visit. At 66 I was totally surprised to get this virus. I had no other symptoms but the fatigue.

Comment from: Nelly, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 05

Took my 8 year old to his primary doctor with fever and a sore throat. The strep test came back negative so they said it would just go away and to keep using Tylenol. That night, he got a 103 temperature before bed time. I gave him Pediacare. Next morning his fever reached 105. I must mention that for three days he just kept sleeping. I took him to the emergency room and they sent him to the children's hospital ICU on an ambulance. Blood cultures showed he tested positive for the Epstein Barr virus and so it was mononucleosis.

Comment from: Chelle25, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I first noticed a general feeling of unwellness and just felt run down. Then my eyes started to swell and hurt. I noticed I had swollen glands in my throat and that my neck felt fat. I just had gum surgery and thought maybe it was infected. I called my dentist and he put me on amoxicillin. I still felt sick and as the days went on the more fatigued I was getting. I then thought it was from my antipsychotic Geodon but it just kept getting stronger and stronger, the fatigue. I finally took myself to the emergency room after work one night and they did a mono spot test which came out positive. They did the test twice to make sure. It's been 3 weeks and sometimes I feel like I am dying.

Comment from: Amber1113, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 07

I have a 14 year old daughter that has been sick for 6 weeks now. The first week her symptoms were sore throat, headache, body aches, fever. Then the black spots before eyes, weakness and feeling faint set in. We took her to 2 doctors and then the emergency room where they noted the enlarged spleen and diagnosed mono even though the mono test came back negative. After about 3 weeks she was feeling a bit more energetic and went to school for a few days only to relapse with fever and headaches and extreme fatigue again. The doctor ordered more blood work and test for EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) and the other known virus that causes mono. Those results came back negative as well as another mono spot. But yesterday we took her to the pediatrician with right side pain that goes all the way through and bad headache with sharp pains in the head. She had a CT scan that showed enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen. It is driving us crazy that we can't pin mono down with any blood tests. She has missed so much school and is too tired to really even try to keep up.

Comment from: RedRenee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 47 and just found out today (10/25/13) that I have mono. I've had symptoms since September 14th. It has taken 3 trips to the doctors and several blood, urine and swab tests to rule out Lyme, strep and staph to finally arrive at mono. It all started with severe chills, headache then fever and a red-hot rash (similar to a sever sunburn) that went from hip to hip. One doctor mentioned Lyme and I remembered I had been bitten by a tick in May. Then when the antibiotics weren't clearing it up they tested for mono. Right now I am lethargic and feel like I am walking in quicksand. I'm also dizzy and nauseous at times. Apparently I am one of many older (28 - 68) adults in the West Tenessee area with this going on. I am looking forward to feeling better.

Comment from: Macho, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My 14 year old son had a sore throat for a day. It went away after a day. Two days later he developed an extreme headache that would not subside, nausea and double vision. Then a repetition of chills and then fever occurred. This continued for four days. I took him to the doctor and she sent him to the emergency room. He was diagnosed with mono and viral meningitis. We are on day 6 and the double vision is gone. The extreme headache has lessened. Only now, he's experiencing a stiff neck, medium headache, sensitive rashly skin and sleeping almost all day.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am 22 and hadn't ever had mononucleosis (mono) until now. My symptoms started out as a cough and really sore chest along with outrageous headaches throughout the day and a low-grade fever. I went to the doctor because I was short of breath. She noticed my throat was very red and irritated, there was wheezing in my lungs and respiratory area. She said I had bronchitis and I got put on antibiotics. A week later I didn't feel any better so I went back to the doctor. She repeated a chest X-ray and took blood to test for various things. X-ray was positive for pneumonia this time. At this point I was feeling very tired and had no motivation to do anything. My blood work came back positive for mono. 10 days later I am having horrible headaches, random fevers and it's almost all I can do to stand up and do things. I have an appetite and my throat isn't sore but overall my body feels awful. The bronchitis has cleared up for the most part. But dealing with this mono is no joke. I have never been this sick in my life.

Published: July 23

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: shellbeecup, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I"m 21 years old, thought I had strep so I went to the doctor and I have never been so mad to get back a negative strep test. Yep, I had mononucleosis. I'm going into the doctor's office again tomorrow, I haven't eaten in two days, and now I can't drink water without crying from the pain of my sore throat. I have never been so sick in my life. I just want a juicy homemade burger!

Comment from: coffee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In January I became very fatigued with low grade temperatures on and off. I got a cough and slight cold. They lasted about a month but I was still very fatigued. All of January and February, I slept day and night. I was too sick to go to the doctors. Finally the middle of March I went to the doctors, did my blood work and my liver proteins were 450. Two days later again I did blood and they were 900. Finally we discussed the fatigue and fevers and felt it was mononucleosis. I am still very fatigued after 10 weeks.

Comment from: Lisa, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 18

My son has mononucleosis and has been sick for 3 weeks. His virus has now caused hepatitis and his ALT is over 800. His ALKP is 480 and his bilirubin is 16 so he is yellow. He has had a diffuse rash because initially they treated him with amoxicillin. His fevers have been above 104 at times and have not relented. He has a new rash today on his hands. This is crazy. I have had him in to the hospital twice, the doctor 3 times and have had blood work 7 times. This poor kid has had the worst case of mono ever.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was diagnosed with mono Friday night after a blood test. I go from feeling almost normal for maybe 15 minutes, to headache, dizzy and feeling faint. It's just awful. It's really scary! I'm just exhausted and weak.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 59 and have mononucleosis for the 2nd time. I had it many years ago at age 15. At that time my symptoms were severe, strep throat, very tired and swollen glands. So I was very surprised to have the same symptoms again. I told the people I work with that I feel like I have mono. Well, I went to the doctor and was positive with mono, strep and swollen glands again.

Comment from: frustrated, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My daughter's symptoms of mononucleosis are she has had a rash on her face and 1 week later swelling of the face to a point where she cannot see. She has fatigue, joint pain, sore throat and abdominal pain.

Comment from: LucyL, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

When I was 20, overnight I developed severe low back pain that traveled to the bladder area, plus a very high fever. I first saw a urologist because my mononucleosis behaved at first like an acute kidney infection. After a few days, the virus settled in my liver and I was very ill with jaundice.

Published: July 25

My doctor thinks I have mono, but since my onset of symptoms are so new, she isn't testing me for it yet. I started out having fatigue, then joint pain in my fingers, hands, and arms. When my throat started to hurt, I thought I had strep, but the test came back negative. The glands in my neck are very swollen and tender, and my tonsils are so swollen they are touching. The doctor prescribed predinsone for the swelling, and a Z-pack just in case there is something bacterial going on. I also have upper stomach pain, but not real bad. Mostly I just want to sleep. Ibuprofen is a HUGE help, as it lessens the pain in my throat, and joint pains. Last night my fever broke, as I started to get sweaty and clammy. Today I am working, still tired, but not in extreme pain. I am a female, and 42 years old.

Published: July 18

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Published: June 26

My son who is 18 contracted mono and was suffering with headaches and weakness along with chills for months before the initial onset of severe symptoms. Then the first symptom was the sore throat. He said he never experienced this kind of sore throat before. It was severe. Then came the fever. I looked down his throat to see white spots and lines, along with severe swelling that started on his right side then went to both sides. His fever lasted for a week. The sore throat started to subside after a week also. The weakness was intense, as he could not even walk to another room without going back to bed. His sweats and fever were severe. The highest his fever went was to 104. That was with Tylenol and ibuprofen. After 10 days he was able to walk around but still weak. This was the worse viral sickness I have seen in my children yet.

Comment from: carob, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

When I was 28, I was working at a job with children. One of the children had strep throat. Then, I came down with a very bad sore throat. I went to the doctor and found out I had strep throat and mono. So I took the doctor's advice and took a month off work. I was so tired I slept 12 hours a night! If I tried to go out at all, I would catch a cold and feel horrible. So I slept and stayed home a lot. I wasn't better after a month. The doctor eventually put me on lots of vitamins and I continued to rest. After three months of resting, I was finally better and able to go back to work! Another doctor told me to be careful, though, for the following year, that I didn't relapse and get it again. I was fine. I am now in my fifties and I think my 25-year-old may have it now.

Comment from: Mbender, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

My daughter has been sick for 3 weeks now! First it was headaches and off and on sore throat, then came 102.5 fever. Went to Dr. Strep and mono negative. One week later back to Dr. For ear pain told it was viral nothing they could do. By the next week her throat was so swollen with white puss covering her tonsils she could barley breath. I took her to an ENT how took one look at her and said mono. I replied all the test were negative she said this is the worst case I have ever seen I will repeat the test. It was positive they have placed her on steroids to get the swelling down in her throat so she can breath, even considered admitting her to the hospital. We are on day two of the medication and for the first time in a week she got some rest, praying she continues to improve. Is doesn't have the extreme fatigue at this time but has had every other symptom headache, fever, swollen throat and glades, She looks like she has a golf ball In Her neck! Has had shortness of breath as well as joint pain. Today she said she breath out her nose but there is nothing in there it is not stuffy I am assuming it is do to all the swelling in her throat, and neck causing pressure on her adenoids.

Comment from: lalea878, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 53 y/o nurse and thought I had TMJ as I have a history of 2 neck surgeries and thought since these muscles connect, then it may be TMJ. I was diagnosed with TMJ 4 years ago when this happened and got a splint for it...no medications. My parotid glands and the whole side of my face on both side is swollen but above the jaw line...I have high cheek bones and have lost defintion below my cheeks in my face for the past month but if I eat or teach yoga, talk a lot, it looks like balloons on both sides, although worse on the right even tho the left side hurts worse. Nausea and some throat soreness, but not a lot. Achy with a low grade fever. I am almost sure this is what happened 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with TMJ. I am SOOOOO tired and achy, but missed 3 days of work last week and cant afford to miss anymore..and was told to rest, push fluids and given a prednisone pack along with Clindamycin as there are pus pockets near my glands in the inside cheeks of my mouth. It hurts to lean over and I have lost weight as well as talking funny, I guess because I am guarding against the pain I know will follow if I open my mouth too much. I am really hoping this mono stuff isnt another issue I will deal with off and on for the rest of my life! I do not know anyone else who has mono right now and I see a select group of high risk patients, none of which have mono. The 1st time,4 yrs ago, I worked in the hospital, so no telling who may have had it that I cared for or if that was indeed mono and not TMJ. The scary thing is I hear you carry this junk and folks can be contagious even if not feverish or in an acute phase of mono. UGGGGGGGGG!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with mono about two weeks after emergency gallbladder surgery. I had mono, pneumonia, and a partial collapsed lung. My temperature was so high I was delirious. It has been almost two months and I still suffer from extreme fatigue. If I push myself, my temperature spikes and my throat aches. Then it's back to being bedridden to recover. I stay on nausea medicine and still have no appetite; in fact, the weight loss is the only good thing about it. Family and friends don't understand why I'm not over it and back to normal by now, like I'm milking it or exaggerating the symptoms. I was so glad to find this site and read about others struggling too.

Comment from: jcpink, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

My daughter is 16 years old and was diagnosed today with mono. I have never seen any of my children as sick as this poor girl. I had her to the doctor 3 times before they finally tested her for it. She has had the normal symptoms stomach ache, fever, aches, swollen lymph nodes in the neck, fatigue and body aches. We are on day 11. She was given no antibiotics. I pray she is well soon. Good luck to everyone. This thing is nasty.

Comment from: mother who knows, 13-18 Female Published: August 12

My daughter had some coughing but one night complained of a bad sore throat that was on a Tuesday. I took her to the ER and a strep throat test came back negative. On Friday, I took her to her regular doctor, and she tested positive for mono. She was feeling fine by Saturday. Her symptoms were a sore throat for four days, and a fever of 101 for three days. We made her eat, plus we gave her lots of Gatorade and vitamin C. I would say she only felt bad for about a week.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been very, very tired, but I don't have a sore throat or muscle pain. I woke up one day and the room was spinning, so the doctor drew blood and checked for mono. I tested positive. That was about two months ago. I was feeling really tired again, so I had them draw blood, and they said I still have an active case, but my numbers are lower. I think this means I'm improving. It's frustrating because I am in my 30s and I feel so incredibly tired all the time.

Comment from: Latinboy1992, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I have mono, and the symptoms I had were: My throat swelled up, I had white film in my throat, I was weak, simple tasks made me sweat and my heart race, and I had a high fever.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I was affected by multiple, seemingly unrelated health problems before I was tested and knew I had mono. The first two symptoms were fatigue and incapacitating headaches. I had these two symptoms along with nausea and pain in the upper left of my abdomen (spleen area) that continued for about two months until I developed a high fever (between 100 and 102 degrees) and excruciating pain in the tonsils and throat glands. I also had a sinus/chest cold. Finally, I was tested and diagnosed with mononucleosis.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: August 07

The major symptom of my mono was never ending exhaustion for about a month, then a raging fever of 105 for more than a week. Almost exactly two years later, the symptoms reappeared. A blood test was positive: Mono was still there. They said it had been in a dormant state for that period. I was 18 with the first occurrence, so I was 20 with the second. I was in college at the time. My energy returned years later. Now at 76, I am healthier than I was at that age, but I do have to take thyroid medication. Looking back, I truly think it caused some strange type of depression.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 29 years old and just found out that I have mono. It started 2 weeks ago when I had a headache and neck stiffness. They thought it was spinal meningitis, but they ruled that out. I continued to get worse I was so tired and drained feeling and the fever started. They did more tests and found out it was mono, strep and I'm anemic. I have never felt so bad my whole life. I am so tired and my fever comes and goes. I have 4 children and I can't even do anything for them because it wears me out so quickly. Some nights I literally feel like I'm dying. I am so ready for this to be over. I keep praying that God will give me strength.

Published: July 28

It started off like a sore throat. I did notice fatigue worse than normal. After a full day of work in the heat on Wednesday, I thought I was going to pass out. I tested negative for strep throat, then the doctor tested me for mono, which came back positive. Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I took Amoxil to no avail. I still have pus on my tonsils, and they are inflamed. I've been feeling kind of loopy-headed, almost dizzy at times. I have a weird overall feeling, like slow motion.

Published: July 23

I found out I had mono over a month ago. The sore throat is better, but the headache and fatigue continue to be present. I have not worked for four weeks and I'm sleeping 10-14 hours a day. At this point it just seems that it will never go away. I have a rash on my body that continues to itch and be an annoyance. If you begin to have a sore throat and are falling a sleep at work, go to the doctor.

Published: July 16

My 7-year-old was just told by our doctor that she has mono. She started out with a really bad sore throat. I took a flash light and looked in her throat, and her tonsils were big and red and had the white patches on them. She also ran a fever. I totally thought she had strep throat. She had all the classic signs and symptoms of it. So my advice is to really get checked out as soon as possible! My twin sister had it years ago, and her symptoms were different from my daughter's. It seems to show up in a lot of different ways.

Published: July 16

OMG, I was feeling really run down, I knew something wasn't right in my body, and then I woke up with a sore throat from hell. It felt like I had knives in my throat. I went to the doctor they said it was strep throat and sent me home with antibiotics, well I didn't get better, so I went back and my doctor took an Epstein Barr test and it came back positive for it. I have strep, mono and a staff infection on my legs (like impetigo) all this is the worst thing. They say it could take weeks to months to get over this Mono. I just lay around.

Published: July 15

I was diagnosed yesterday with mono. I have a red rash about five times a day all over my body. I have a very swollen, red throat with white patches on it (it hurts so bad to swallow my own saliva at times). I have headaches. As of today, I started getting stomach aches. I have the urge to sleep all day and night and not eat much at all. The only thing I found to help me from waking up with headaches or stomachaches is ibuprofen.

Published: July 15

I noticed myself being quite tired and spacey, always needing to sit down if I did a little work. Then I noticed the back of my neck had two large lumps (lymph nodes) and the very next morning, I woke up with stiff joints all over my body, especially in my fingers and wrists. I thought I'd overworked them playing softball, but after a few days it persisted. It got to the point that I couldn't lift things I normally do and my elbows also hurt. I went to my doctor and she sent me for blood tests, which showed that I was positive for mono. Other symptoms I've experienced include a low-grade fever, a constant lingering headache and a stiff neck from the lymph nodes that never went down.

Published: July 14

I was very tired and stiff with a sore throat for about six weeks. I would work three hours, then sleep for four hours. This went on for about three weeks. The same thing was happening to my husband and my 18-year-old daughter. We all just chalked it up to a virus and just getting older with aches and pains. About a month later, after most of the symptoms went away, I went to the doctor for a UTI infection and blood was drawn when I told her I just couldn't get my energy back. A week later, I was called and the nurse said I was recovering from mono quite well and that sometime in the past three months I had contracted the virus. I guess if you are not diagnosed right away, you deal with it.

Published: July 14

I'm 17 years old. My first symptom was like the stomach flu. I was in a lot of pain. I could barely sleep. I wasn't hungry. I couldn't walk without pain and had a constant chest pain. After a week, I went to the hospital they did three blood tests, a mono test, a urinary test and one other one and found nothing wrong expect that I was dehydrated. About three days later, I went to my doctor, and he did a mono test that was positive. He said I probably had it since March and I never knew about it until late June. It's currently July and I still have my bad chest cold and wake up to where I can't breathe. Some people are lucky and have it easy, and some have it long. The only thing I can do is sleep and eat very little.

Published: July 11

My daughter is 15 and started complaining on a Sunday of tiredness and aches. The next day she was experiencing such severe back pain we had to take her to the emergency room twice because the first time they diagnosed her with a urinary tract infection. With our persistence, they ran the blood work and we found out it is mono. Typical symptoms have now set in … sore throat, lymph nodes in the neck hugely swollen, sleeping, and no appetite. This is only the beginning of a lot of rest and sleeping.

Published: July 11

I first thought it was a severe cold and the OTC medication relieved my symptoms. When the OTC medicine started to be less effective, the symptoms became more pronounced. I had serious fatigue and body aches. My joints started hurting, especially when climbing stairs. I developed a severe dry throat after suffering from a sore throat for about a week. No matter how many fluids (mostly water) that I drank, I couldn't quench my thirst. I had headaches and drastic temperature fluctuations. I had a little nasal congestion but I have bad allergies and sinus problems, so I thought they were connected to the throat soreness. The doctor diagnosed me with mono and tested for strep and drew blood. He put me on Amoxicillin since he knows that I am not allergic.

Published: July 09

I had mono when I was about 19 years old. The only symptom I had was a lump at the base of the back of my head, just above my neck. I noticed it only because I had turned my head and it hurt, and then when I touched it, I felt a lump, which was a swollen gland I guess. I ignored it for a day or two, thinking that it was sore because I'd slept in hair curlers the night before and they bruised my head. After it persisted, I went to our Company nurse who immediately recommended I see a doctor. He confirmed it as mono after taking blood tests. But I have to say that was the only symptom I had. I never felt tired nor did I miss any time off work. But maybe I caught it in time before other symptoms appeared.

Published: June 05

I'm a twelve year old boy and I have experienced many different symptoms. When my mom and I looked at the article about mono it all added up. I felt fine for a multiple of weeks (a little more than three) and then that's when it kicked in. I started having a headache and my temperature went up to 104 and I had a tremendous fever. I felt very nausea and at some points I was about to throw up. But I didn't. I had a sore throat and felt an unusual need for sleep. But at night, since I slept so much in the day, I woke up in the night. The only way to not throw up is to use mind over matter. Tell yourself you will not throw up and you wont. This is my second day, going to be third night, and at this point my only symptom is need for sleep and sore throat. I would recommend "Tylenol" 8 hour pill, because it calmed my nausea down and lowered my fever.

Published: May 23

At first my throat was sore and it became hard to swallow even my own saliva made it painful. I thought I was coming down with a cold but I wasn't coughing or sneezing. Then I have terrible headaches and muscle aches, and became very tired, sleeping for 10 hours at minimum which is unusual for me, and then being tired throughout the day. My lymph nodes in my neck also became very swollen adding to the headaches. My headaches felt like sharp pains and pressure rather than a throbbing feel. So I saw a doctor right away, and took a blood test to confirm his diagnosis.

Published: August 04

I have had an irritated throat, redness, and swollen glands, also a persistent headache for at least 6 months. I was tested for strep, which was negative. I have not been back to the doctors, but the symptoms have not subsided or worsened.

Published: July 28

Probably contracted mono sometime in April, major symptoms started to show in May and June. Muscle aches, stiff neck, headaches first; followed by joint pain, swollen lymph nodes in neck, and a bit of a rash; fatigue was limited, and didn't show up until early June (also didn't last long); mild sore throat and white patches on tonsil and back of throat starting late June. Headaches and most muscle aches gone now. Continued stiff joints, sore throat and swollen nodes.

Published: July 16

I experienced being very tired and groggy, for about a week, and then I got a sore throat that varied in intensity and just never went away.

Published: July 14

My experience with mono was really bad. As a matter of fact, I still have it. I am in the third week and it is painful. I experience stiff neck, sore throat, enlarged spleen, enlarged liver, droopy eyes, a coating over my lung, and back aches.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter