Patient Comments: Impetigo - Causes

If known, what caused impetigo in you or your child? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Flipflop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

My cat had a staph infection, although I didn't know that at the time. I was rubbing it with my fingers and the fur blew up to my nose. I went to wipe the fur away, it infected my nose and I got impetigo.

Comment from: impatient, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

My impetigo was caused from falling and scraping the skin on my face. It is still spreading a little. I am taking antibiotics orally and applying topically. I have self-imposed a quarantine because I don't want to infect anyone else. I have had treatment for 4 days but it's still spreading. I can't wait for it to be gone, have never had it before.

Comment from: Anonymous, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My daughter plays ice hockey and she got an infection in a rash caused by her shin guard. She is on oral and topical medication for impetigo now.

Comment from: Randolph, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I got impetigo in my beard and mustache areas after I applied a product called Tecnu to the skin around my nose and mouth. At the time I had a three day growth of facial hair. Tecnu is sold for removing poison oak oil and poison ivy oil from skin and other items.

Comment from: johnson, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My daughter has had impetigo twice. The 1st time she caught impetigo she was 4 years old. The second time she was 11 years old. Both times she came down with impetigo was in the summer time and it was because she was bitten repeatedly by mosquitos. It seems as if she is actually allergic to mosquitos. When my daughter gets bit it's not 1 or 3 bites it can be well over 40 to 50. She scratches her bites which get infected and that turns into impetigo.

Comment from: Sandra Whaley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I wonder if it is possible to have impetigo within the nostrils. I've had this inflammatory areas in both nostrils for some time. I cannot afford an ENT. It is not visible yet it is spreading slowly. It's very painful to blow my nose, and the surrounding area above my lips and next to the nostrils are now tender to palpate. This happened to cross my mind. I've had impetigo 2 or 3 times as a child. I'm now 63.

Comment from: June, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

My 4 year old grandson has been throwing up every other day. We took him to the doctor and he said it was impetigo. I didn't know you threw up with impetigo!

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I'm 52 years old. I started getting tiny pimples around my lips and tried removing them by popping them. Within a couple days I got red bumps and sores that had a thick substance in them. Also tiny holes started to appear around my mouth and face, filling up with thick fluid. I have had staph infection in the past and got scared and went to urgent care. I was told that yes I had staph infection and impetigo. I was given antibiotics and Bactroban ointment. It is day 4 and I've had a little improvement but the sores are still around my mouth and I now have scars on my face. This doesn't just happen to children.

Comment from: sadface, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

I got impetigo after being sick with the flu for a week and then going to a laser tag arena. The next morning, I woke up with the blisters in the usual area on my face. Now I can't go outside or do anything for at least a week.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter