Picture of Second Trimester (24 Weeks)
- Bone marrow begins to make blood cells.
- Taste buds form on your baby's tongue.
- Footprints and fingerprints have formed.
- Real hair begins to grow on your baby's head.
- The lungs are formed, but do not work.
- The hand and startle reflex develop.
- Your baby sleeps and wakes regularly.
- If your baby is a boy, his testicles begin to move from the abdomen into the scrotum. If your baby is a girl, her uterus and ovaries are in place, and a lifetime supply of eggs have formed in the ovaries.
- Your baby stores fat and has gained quite a bit of weight. Now at about 12 inches long, your baby weighs about 1½ pounds.
Reviewed by William C. Shiel Jr., MD, FACP, FACR on August 21, 2009
Image Source: Neil Bromhall / Genesis Films / Photo Researchers, Inc.
Text: Womenshealth.gov - Healthy Pregnancy: Stages of Pregnancy