Patient Comments: ICU Psychosis - Treatment

What types of treatment, including therapy and medication, were used for an ICU psychosis in you or a relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lemurlvr , 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My sister was on an ICU heart transplant floor for 3 1/2 months. She didn't have a transplant, but eventually found she had restrictive cardiomyopathy and went into kidney failure. After about three weeks she developed extreme dementia (the psychiatrists thought she's had developed schizophrenia). The Haldol she was given didn't seem to help. Once she was removed from 24 hour dialysis and was able to move around she started to improve. She was back to normal 6 months after she came home.

Comment from: Richnurse61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

ICU psychosis is very real and frightening. I myself went through it as I spent 2 weeks in ICU. I just thank my family and the staff at the hospital that they were very strong and aware of what was going on. I was having hallucinations to the point where I was seeing little men crawling out behind my message board, and I was verbally aggressive towards some staff and my family. I am generally very laid back and easy to get along with. At times I would look over the side of my bed and it looked as if I was looking down an elevator shaft, other times it appeared as if the room had shifted. I was having delusions and apparently the staff had considered calling security 3 times, and even considered a medical coma to prevent me from harming anyone. Heaven forbid, I couldn't forgive myself if I did. I spoke to my lovely wife of 32 years in a horrific manner and would probably have killed myself if she had followed through on my terrible request. And to my mother who often sat and prayed at my bedside, I am true sorry. I am back to my ole happy self now but still want to give a big shout out to the great staff doctors and nurses who provided exemplary care.

Comment from: miki_p, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I underwent open thorax surgery to repair a congenital heart defect and the day after surgery experienced an episode of severe paranoia or ICU psychosis where I demanded that the surgeon administer my medications as I thought the nursing staff was trying to poison me because I reported a nursing error (actual error but minor). The episode resolved itself after 4 or 5 hours.

Comment from: Rosemarie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I was admitted to ICU for 4 days after a drug overdose. I experienced hallucinations and heard voices. It was 18 years ago and I still vividly recall the hallucinations and what the voices said. It took years to convince me they had not been real and it was ICU psychosis.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter