Patient Comments: ICU Psychosis - Treatment

What types of treatment, including therapy and medication, were used for an ICU psychosis in you or a relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Richnurse61, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 16

ICU psychosis is very real and frightening. I myself went through it as I spent 2 weeks in ICU. I just thank my family and the staff at the hospital that they were very strong and aware of what was going on. I was having hallucinations to the point where I was seeing little men crawling out behind my message board, and I was verbally aggressive towards some staff and my family. I am generally very laid back and easy to get along with. At times I would look over the side of my bed and it looked as if I was looking down an elevator shaft, other times it appeared as if the room had shifted. I was having delusions and apparently the staff had considered calling security 3 times, and even considered a medical coma to prevent me from harming anyone. Heaven forbid, I couldn't forgive myself if I did. I spoke to my lovely wife of 32 years in a horrific manner and would probably have killed myself if she had followed through on my terrible request. And to my mother who often sat and prayed at my bedside, I am true sorry. I am back to my ole happy self now but still want to give a big shout out to the great staff doctors and nurses who provided exemplary care.

Comment from: miki_p, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I underwent open thorax surgery to repair a congenital heart defect and the day after surgery experienced an episode of severe paranoia or ICU psychosis where I demanded that the surgeon administer my medications as I thought the nursing staff was trying to poison me because I reported a nursing error (actual error but minor). The episode resolved itself after 4 or 5 hours.

View the Phobias Slideshow Pictures