Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Complications

What complications did you have with a hysterectomy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Geetha , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy done on 31 January, 2018. Tubes and cervix were removed and I only kept my ovaries. I am 7 months post operation. I still have heaviness and swelling in my stomach. I can't stand for long periods or do any work for long periods of time. I had an abdominal and pelvic scan done, but nothing was found.

Comment from: Troubled , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had a hysterectomy four months ago. I didn't have any bleeding or any other problems until now. I had intercourse and experienced heavy bleeding and extremely intense pain. I am beside myself. I have been now bleeding for four days and the pain hasn't subsided either. My doctor is away on vacation. Before my current situation intercourse wasn't good. Things were much better before my complete/ total hysterectomy. I wish I never had surgery. I am 46 years old. Too young for this.

Comment from: NanaPennypockets, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had my vaginal hysterectomy in 1984 and have had gradually increasing back pain ever since. I also had numbness in the outer side of my right knee at the start. My back pain became severe enough that I had to sell my business in 2000 because the pain on standing was so severe. I've had epidurals with no effect and am currently on opiates for pain relief but with the push to cut dosages with the opioid crisis today, I can't get a dose that will let me do any normal activities. Standing is the worse and now I even have to sleep in a recliner as lying flat increases the pain so I have trouble walking. They try to tell me I have spinal problems but the pain is right at the attachment of the broad ligament to the pelvis. The doctor after surgery said he had difficulty removing it because it was so large and he had to use extreme force to get it out. I wish someone would do some research on this subject. It has really ruined my quality of life.

Comment from: Honeymaid721, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 5 weeks into recovery time from hysterectomy and it hasn't been easy. The hot flashes are unbearable and the worst is having to move my bowels. I don't care how much Colace and Miralax, there is still discomfort! Yesterday I had my first after-surgery visit, I am still having bleeding and they also found some bacteria. I stated to my doctor I am having pain, and she tells me to take Tylenol. I am, but that is not working, and she tells me to space it out and don't take too much as it is bad for my liver; this is crazy! I don't know what else to do. Next step is a second opinion.

Comment from: tracey66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

So annoying that you have terrible pains, a feeling such as trying to pass razor blades when trying to empty bowels and bladder for the last 3 weeks. I am 5 weeks and 3 days now post hysterectomy and nothing helps. I am walking more now, more fiber, and more liquid. Some days it is worse than others. It is so bad pain killers don't work and I get it night time also.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had my total hysterectomy in 2013 and it has totally ruined my marriage. They gave me no hormone therapy and I could care less about sex. Not only that when I do break down, I have no orgasm. This has been 5 years of torture.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter