Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I had robotic hysterectomy 5 weeks ago because of endometrial cancer. I am still quite sore and very uncomfortable bending over. I have numbness and burning sensation around the incision area. I have had no bleeding since surgery until today. I have some spotting, not sure if that's normal. I have put on a few pounds. I will be having 3 radiation treatments.

Comment from: Miyuka, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I'm 32 and had a hysterectomy on September 22, 2017. It's been around a week now since my uterus and fallopian tubes were removed due to two 10 cm fibroids, along with many, many smaller ones growing on/in my uterus, one being in the stage of painful necrosis. While I am fortunate enough to have a very skilled, caring surgeon perform wonderfully and had very little to deal with post-surgery (no pain, no bleeding, etc.), I do have one worry. I absolutely cannot sleep through the night due to my bladder issues that I now have. I have to get up 6 to 10 times due to a strong urge to urinate, even if there is barely anything in there. While I understand that nerves have been disrupted around down there, my bladder is now shifted since there is no uterus to separate the bladder from the bowels. I can't help but have a fear in my mind that this will be ongoing after healing as well. It's maddening.

Comment from: Helena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

It's now been 3 weeks since l had my hysterectomy, a total hysterectomy using the robot, because l had womb cancer. I had my procedure on Friday and came home on Monday. I have had no bleeding at all, only took paracetamol while in hospital and nothing since coming home. My portholes where the arms of the robot went in have all healed quite well and l feel surprisingly good apart from a little constipation. I keep wondering when any kind of symptom from menopause will begin as my ovaries were taken and l don't think l can have any kind of hormone therapy because of the cancer which I am told at my check up yesterday has gone. I am relieved. I suggest to anyone reading this to go for a total hysterectomy with keyhole surgery done robotically. You needn't worry, it is fine in my experience so far.

Comment from: MVD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with 18 cm of fibroids. Last December 2016 it was 11 cm but I was not able to follow up with my obstetrician/gynecologist. Last June when I had my transvaginal ultrasound (TVS) it said that my myoma progressed to 18 cm and had to be removed immediately because it might be cancerous and thank goodness it was not. I am slowly recovering with my surgery and do some light house chores but most of the time I just rest. Using binder is very important after surgery.

Comment from: zefirah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a hysterectomy 3 weeks ago due to multiple and large fibroids. Everything was removed except for ovaries. I had complications during the surgery. My ureter was damaged, so I had a stent put in during the procedure which will be removed later. I had to go home with a catheter for a few days. In addition, the front of my upper thighs have been numb. I believe it is nerve damage that occurred during surgery. I had constipation during the first week post operation but put myself on a rigorous fiber/laxative regime and got it under control. I think my stitches are healing fine, I can walk a little more each day. I'm still having some pain and quite a bit of discomfort (some related to the stent) but gradually taking less pain medicine. I think the numbness in my thighs is gradually subsiding.

Comment from: ranee48, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a hysterectomy through my vagina on 26 September. I have no pain whatsoever but still have a small discharge and need to use pads every day. It is now 6 weeks since my operation. I wonder when the discharge will stop.

Comment from: Mrs. N J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had my hysterectomy on March 10, 2017. I am 47 years old and my surgery was necessary due to severe fibroids. My uterus and cervix were removed. My uterus weighed 3 lb. at removal and a fibroid the size of a grapefruit was peeled from my bladder. The surgery was the best thing I could have done! Other than post-surgery pain, I have had a great recovery. My incision is in my bikini line and I have minimal scarring. Since my surgery, I have been able to sleep all night without having to get up for bathroom. I owe my successful recovery to my gynecologist!

Comment from: Cute, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 6 weeks out from a full abdominal hysterectomy and feeling better. I'm glad I had this done, my body doesn't feel sluggish all the time. I'm more outgoing, more alive, and more me. I am so happy with this but I'm scared to have sex but in due time.

Comment from: Ali.B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 52 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 days ago. Reason for surgery, fibroids! One measured 7 cm and bled continuously causing chronic anemia, hospital stays, blood transfusions, etc. First 4 days post operation I didn't feel very good at all but I'm feeling much better now and I'm far more mobile. My scar is still very sore and tender and I find that I can't stand for too long but I'm able to do far more for myself now. It is vital to keep mobile but rest is equally as important. I ticked all the boxes for hormone replacement therapy so was lucky enough to be put on patches before leaving hospital. Emotionally I'm good and I'm looking forward to a better quality of life without the dreaded bleeding and feeling constantly tired and under the weather. Happy days.

Comment from: ACE 02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal). I was doing fine post operation for a month, then I started having problems with my bladder. I was having accidents, especially during the night. I would start urinating and would wet my pants between the bedroom and bathroom. Or during the day it would just happen without warning.

Comment from: Saunders, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a full hysterectomy, uterus, tubes, ovaries along with cervix removed, because of cancer, on January 19, 2017. It has been now nearly 1 month and staples and stitches are out but I have horrible pressure and sharp pain as if I was having an appendix attack except I have no appendix. I cannot lie on my sides as the pressure gets worse. I can't find and answers anywhere to tell me if this is at all normal. Oh yes, I also started with a yellowish discharge and now I am spotting off and on.

Comment from: Lanie, Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 44 years old and had a full hysterectomy 12 days ago (ovaries, fallopian tubes everything taken). The first 7 days after operation I felt good, no bleeding or spotting, etc. The last 2 or 3 days I have had awful tummy ache, spotting bleed, and generally I feel off. I am not sure why I feel like this now after a week of feeling ok.

Comment from: LB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago (December 15). I am 69 years old and had everything removed including some lymph nodes. My recovery as to incisions is ok but I am having pain when I have to move my bowels. I am taking stool softeners. I find it easier to go if I lean back on the toilet. No problem with urination, but pain if I try and strain to pass stools. I also have lost my appetite (not necessarily a bad thing). I sometimes experience slight nausea and have some depression; more than just the blues. My follow up is on January 3 with my surgeon and I'll ask her about these things. Good luck to the rest of you!

Comment from: Cecille, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a full hysterectomy on December 7 with a horizontal incision (bikini cut). I had pain medication the first two days after surgery (staying at the hospital 2 nights). Then, I had pain medication every four hours but it was too much (hydrocodone) and I felt sleepy and lethargic for too long. After consulting my doctor, I immediately changed the pain medication to something milder, first ibuprofen and now acetaminophen; seems to be the best for me at this point. I feel better and more alert and able to do light house chores. I don't feel like driving or walking for too long, or do any other strenuous activity but I definitely feel much better. My advice is be careful with pain medication and try to understand the pain in your body. Keep moving but stop and rest (sit or lie down for a little) if you feel the pain.

Comment from: Lexi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 7 weeks post operation and had a radical hysterectomy. It was an 8 inch vertical incision and I had an almost 7 lb tumor, no cancer. I'm still in pain on just one spot next to the incision down toward the bottom. I'm trying to work a little but not going well. I have also experienced severe itching all over my body. Sounds crazy but for the last 5 days it's been awful, I am not taking any medicines and haven't been for 2 weeks.

Comment from: Vic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had a total hysterectomy on November 29, 2016. I had already gone through menopause, but I had pain from 2 ovarian cysts, one 4 cm and one 6 cm. The surgeon planned to do it laparoscopic, but due to scar tissue, had to make an 8 inch incision horizontally. I stayed in the hospital 2 days. The day after returning home, I felt good and did too much. The next day I was nauseous, faint, and broke out in a cold sweat. I learned to slow down. I thought I would go back to work after 5 weeks, but it might take longer.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My vaginal hysterectomy for prolapse was on Wednesday afternoon. I came home yesterday which was Thursday. I feel amazing. I have had no pain and really don't need the tablets provided. I must be careful not to lift anything heavy or generally overdo it. This will be difficult as I feel so well.

Comment from: Clair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 3 days post-surgery of a vaginal hysterectomy. I am 36 year old. I have constant back pain and pelvis pain. I am still feeling sick and bloated, and with pain. Peppermint tea is advised, but it is horrible to drink. I take painkillers, but can't wait to start feeling normal again. Every day I am feeling sick and teary.

Comment from: Shelby, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm two days post operation for laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy; everything removed. First day after was rough with vagina pain but today I feel a lot better, the ibuprofen works better than the pain medicine. I had multiple fibroids, one pretty big, but I'm doing good. So if you are getting ready to have this done don't worry, it's really not that bad. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Today is 9 days since I've had an abdominal hysterectomy. My fallopian tubes have been removed, but ovaries remain. I've had 4 C-sections previously. I think that I am healing well, but sometimes I get a pulling/pain on the right side, when I reach or try to get up on the bed. I try to walk at least 1/2 mile a day around the house. Nurse suggested using Miralax so I've not had any problems with constipation. I know it will take a while to get back to my normal self, but being in bed so much is driving me stir crazy. Still giving thanks for everything.

Comment from: fibroidfish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 6 days post vaginal hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. I am feeling great. No pain medicines since the day of surgery. Making sure I eat a balanced diet is playing an important part. I do have a sensitivity to sweets since my surgery, maybe from anesthesia. I could have not made a better decision.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. Tubes and one ovary were also removed due to a huge cyst. I had just one night in hospital and felt pretty good by the day after surgery; just have 4 small incisions. No pain medications taken after first 2 days. I still need an occasional afternoon nap but I work from home (freelance writer) so it's not a problem. Life is so much better now and hopefully the anemia will resolve over next few months now that I won't be bleeding 20 to 25 days a month. Overall, so glad it was done!

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal total hysterectomy, including removal of ovaries and cervix, 2 weeks ago. I moved well after surgery, went home the next day, but had poor appetite and could really only tolerate fluids for the first few days. I was so bloated, and it felt like bowels were not working. I am still living on laxatives, bowels are very sluggish and not yet returning to normal. I am having frequent gas pains in my gut, speed of bowels seems about 35 to 40 percent of normal. I'm doing tons of walking, at least a mile per day, not helping much yet. I think I'll go back to the doctor soon if this doesn't improve.

Comment from: Lisa J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) and tubes removed on 4/25/2016. I was up and around the next day. I returned to work 4/29/2016. I'm exercising and back to normal, no pain from the incisions, no soreness, no bleeding. I'm so glad how it worked out for me! I have my 6 week follow up on 6/11/2016.

Comment from: alexis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

It has been a month ago since my total abdominal hysterectomy. I am now in the office and doing my usual errand except lifting and taking stairs for walking. Both my ovaries are saved but I will not have a monthly period starting after the operation. Due to huge myoma, I don't have any options other than the said operation. I think, the important thing is your readiness emotionally about the effect after the operation. It is much better to research and read about the possible operation as well as options from the other doctors, but ultrasound will tell you the truth. Now, after the operation, I am happy to know that the result of the histopathology (mass taken out) is negative from any cancer. I am so fortunate to be given a chance to live longer. Happy journey to all of you and best of luck to us who have undergone the same surgery.

Comment from: slcmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

This is one week post total laparoscopic hysterectomy and bilateral salpingectomy, and I am feeling amazing! Post-surgery pain was non-existent, I was up and moving an hour after I was moved to my room and checked out of the hospital 5 hours later. Urinating took some skill (lots of leaning forward then leaning back, then forward, and back) until I was empty but that was fully resolved by the end of day 2. I am stunned by how much more balanced and healthy I feel now that it is done. Three generation of family history of uterus problems followed by hysterectomies (and validated by the pathology report post-surgery; glad to have that thing out). I'm wondering why I waited so long to have it done!

Comment from: Lululee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had my laparoscopic total hysterectomy (removal of uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes and right ovary) on 2/26. Prior to this I was having terrible periods (even at age 61. I had my last period the week before my surgery). So far post-operation has been what I expected. Pain has not been too bad. I try to walk a little further every day and can usually feel it if I've been a little too active. I am trying to balance being active enough to help my recovery but not doing too much to delay it. I am not feeling well enough to be bored yet but getting there. I put in to take 4 weeks off of work but hoping to go back after 3.

Comment from: MinnieGem, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 10 days in after having laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, with a cyst removed from my bladder and my bladder lifted and put back into place. I've had pain, bleeding on and off, and a foul smell from the blood in my pad. I tore a stitch just by sitting down to urinate, and severe constipation (which is moving better now after taking a laxative). I have energized days and no energy days, and I'm finding myself very emotional. I'm lost and I don't know what to do. I had help my first few days home but my partner has since gone back to work and I have to fend for myself for meals. I was in the hospital for 3 days after surgery, I kind of wish I stayed there.

Comment from: DorothyConyersga, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with a cystectomy on February 10, 2016. I had a herniated ovarian cyst and my intrauterine device wasn't in the right place. I just got my 18 staples removed on the 23. I am healing pretty good, still sore but am feeling better. Much better now that the staples are gone. I feel things will be much better for me now. I was tired of all of the pain I was having. I give two thumbs up to my doctor. To all of the women out there who have to have a hysterectomy done, don't be afraid. There's nothing to it. I had it done, you can too.

Comment from: Lady 'T', 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

Three weeks ago today I had a total hysterectomy, uterus, ovaries and tumors. Everything went well. I had the surgery on a Monday, and was up and walking all day Tuesday. Wednesday when the doctor came around he said everything looked good and told me he normally he would keep me longer but if I go home and do nothing he would let me go. So he released me and I went home and did nothing. Two weeks and two days later I went back to the doctor and he was amazed how my cut was healing. He told me that the average size of a uterus is 70 grams and mine was 1777 grams. Too enlarged. It was so large to where he couldn't do the bikini cut, he had to go up to my navel. I didn't have a whole lot of pain, my biggest thing was the gas. I'm just taking it easy waiting for my full recovery. The doctor told me I could go back to work just for me to take it easy and no lifting.

Comment from: Cape Breton Chickie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I had my hysterectomy a week ago today, on 16-02-04. It was through my stomach due to a large fibroid (8 cm) and I have not had any children. I stood up the first night and as with many, it was not pretty. I am experiencing lots of gas and pressure in my intestines (I can feel the product passing through). I stopped taking extra strength Tylenol three days ago. There is hardly any pain and my incision is healing well. My stomach and lower areas look like a gothic bag of skittles and have more color than 'Starry Night'. My stitches are all internal and now have a hollow sound on one side when I tap my stomach. My doctor stated that I may have bled a bit and there will be some left over serum that may need to be removed later. I have several times felt like a straw was put in my head and my energy sucked out, but I can urinate better now. Sorry for being graphic, but that one small thing is amazing. Good luck ladies!

Comment from: PainfreeinColorado, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 2 weeks to the day post laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy. I had everything except for both ovaries removed. I was suffering from severe pain (labor like) during my periods due to fibroid tumors. My uterus was the size of a 10 week pregnancy. I am in the healthcare field so I did lots of research as to what the other options were. The surgeon and hospital wanted the surgery performed. My surgeon told me that my uterus was covered with fibroid tumors inside and out with also a little endometriosis. I feel great! My incisions scarred over about 5 days post operation looking more like scratches than incisions. I wanted to move as soon as my surgeon allowed me to. I was up and walking about 20 hours after surgery. Keeping hydrated has been key to my speedy recovery and digestive health. I suffered from trapped gas pains for about 2 or 3 days post operation but once I started walking, it helped move my bowels. I have no pain, just a little tenderness where the uterus was removed. I am looking forward to no longer having periods and the pain I experienced prior to my hysterectomy.

Comment from: Tab, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 6 days post robotic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. My periods were unbearable and lasted for 8 to 10 days, with heavy bleeding and cramps that felt like early labor pains for at least 5 or 6 days. I would pass clots the size of golf balls and had to modify my life around my periods. I must say, the post-surgical pain is not as bad as my cramps were. I take 1 ibuprofen 600 as needed as opposed to several 800 and around the clock heating pads. I was able to keep my ovaries, and that's a good thing. They weren't able to do a biopsy, and wanted to do the D and C, but I already knew I wanted to proceed with the hysterectomy, so I scheduled that instead. They can do the pathology on the tissue and let me know if I'll need further treatment instead of 2 separate procedures. Hopefully I'll be back to normal in a few more weeks.

Comment from: Denise G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 4 weeks out from a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and I feel absolutely fine. They took the uterus, cervix and tubes but left the ovaries. I'm so glad I had this done. I found out I was severely anemic due to constant hemorrhaging, periods that lasted 10 days, and 10 days after that it was back. I felt like my life revolved around my period. I dreaded it. I was dragging and feeling terrible. My doctor (after looking at my catastrophically terrible blood work) finally sent me to get an ultra sound which showed many fibroids of all types. That explained a lot! From there I went to an obstetrician/gynecologist who said a hysterectomy was my best bet. I did stay the night in the hospital and I'm glad I did. They took good care of me. I really didn't even need the pain medicines they gave me. The poke holes from the laparoscopy were tender, but nothing awful at all. Nothing like a glob of super glue in your belly button. I had a little bleeding 2 weeks in but it stopped after a couple of days. The doctor said it was normal when the sutures dissolve. I had the surgery on a Thursday and was working from home Monday morning. I went back to work the following Monday. I have to remind myself not to do too much. But it's hard because I feel so fine and normal. I was told I would be tired and worn out but not at all. It so wonderful to never have to have another period. Thank goodness!

Comment from: AJ, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 02

I had a total hysterectomy at age 27. I had endometriosis, multiple cyst on both ovaries, and malignant cells in my uterus. I wasn't put on any type of hormone therapy, which has caused me plenty of issues with my bones and my joints. It is too late I am told to reverse the damage done due to this surgery. I am on Reclast, vitamin D and vitamin shots every month.

Comment from: debtravels, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 2 weeks post-surgery. I had full radical robotic assisted hysterectomy. I had surgery a month prior to remove fibroid tumors and the pathology revealed uterine cancer, stage 1. Hysterectomy seemed to go fine, I came home the same night. Felt ill the next day and figured it was just post-surgery effects. Day 3 I felt worse, abdominal cramping and couldn't keep even a sip of water down. I returned to the hospital emergency room and was admitted for bowel obstruction and a hernia that developed in small intestines. I waited till day 5 and then they did surgery for both issues. I was released day 6 in the evening but had a terrible bacterial infection. I am beginning to feel normal but I have a couple of symptoms that I haven't seen anyone else write about. I have crazy itching around my vaginal area and a bit of dripping of urine, and I can't really control it.

Comment from: RM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I was told in December that I had a fibroid the size of a bowling ball and needed to have a hysterectomy and that I could wait until August to have it done. I went to my gynecologist to arrange the surgery. The doctor performed a pelvic exam and found my cervix was totally closed and scheduled me for a hysteroscopy, D and C, biopsy of the cervix and biopsy of the endometrium. The doctor told me that he did this routinely to make sure he wasn't getting into something unexpected and would like to take a look around. When I came out of recovery I was told that I was being held for 23 hour observation and that my doctor had ordered an oncology consult. I didn't sleep for the next 24 hours. It totally scared me to death. The oncologist finally came to see me to let me know that I had a cyst on my ovary along with the fibroids we knew were already there. I was given the option at that time to have a hysterectomy the following day since I was already in the hospital. Everything went well with the hysterectomy and the oncologist was a great help with the decision for the radical abdominal hysterectomy. I am now on week 3 of recovery and I am feeling a little better every day. I get tired easily and hardly have any pain in my abdomen. At this point I think the sutures in my vagina are healing. My abdomen is numb on the outside and I will not be able to drive for another 4 weeks.

Comment from: Blackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am 2 weeks to the day post vaginal hysterectomy, everything removed except ovaries, with anterior and posterior repairs. With the exception of soreness at the site and back ache (I'm a caregiver so this is ongoing), I'm actually doing pretty good. A few Advil only when needed. Diet has played an important part in my healing (vitamin supplements, high fiber, a lot less meat, lots of vegetables, no junk and lots of water). I'm glad I prepared prior and have kept up since. I was very physically active before so I currently modified my exercise routine with lots of walking. It seems to really be helping. I truly feel diet is essential on the road to recovery.

Comment from: car99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am 5 days out from a vaginal hysterectomy and I have more back pain than anything. I have no vaginal bleeding. I still tire easy and need to rest but am back doing laundry and everything else. I had a total hysterectomy, meaning ovaries also.

Comment from: Tfutch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I had LAVH (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy) in the first week of June 2015. It's been almost 8 weeks, and I still have abdominal pain. The surgery took 3 1/2 hours. My uterus, tubes and cervix were removed. The uterus was large, full of fibroids, three of which had their own blood supply. After surgery my vagina was packed and catheter left in overnight. I was up and walking the same evening surgery was done. I had problems urinating after catheter was removed due to infection from the catheter. I'm happy to be done with hemorrhagic periods, but am really upset about still being in pain. I feel like my uterus has been replaced by rocks.

Comment from: Relieved, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I went through a full abdominal hysterectomy at the end of June and have a horizontal scar of about 5 or 6 inches. I have been doing ok up to now and the swelling on my abdomen seems to be going down slowly. While I feel really lucky that everything has been going well up to now I am now experiencing pain down the left side of my abdomen with a dragging feeling. My thoughts are with anyone who is going through this operation or is recovering, good luck.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am 7 days out from total vaginal hysterectomy. Surgery was fine. The pain medicine has caused me to be extremely constipated; miserably so. I realize the pain medicines are necessary, but I feel like the doctor should suggest laxatives as well. I stopped taking the oxycodone two days ago and am just taking high dose Tylenol. Everything being so backed up down there is causing pain to the surgical area.

Comment from: CLF, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

My total robotic hysterectomy was 17 days ago. It was rough going the first 7 days but by day 10 I felt great. Now I suffer from exhaustion. I'm tired every day. This is very hard for me as I've always been a very energetic person. I'm tired after I've been out of bed for 2 hours. I feel like I'm dragging myself around the house. I take a nap every day but never feel energized.

Comment from: kmd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 10 days ago; 15 cm horizontal incision. I stopped taking painkillers on day 2. I was discharged from hospital on day 3; really missed the electric hospital bed at first to help sit and stand up and lie down, but this got a lot easier from day 5. After day 8, I could sleep on my side. The scar tissue around the incision is sore and tight when I walk, so I hobble around hunched over, which hurts the back muscles. But this hasn't stopped me getting out and about, just need to rest fairly frequently. All in all, I'm very happy with my recovery so far, given the huge gash in my belly! When I get grumpy about not being able to do my normal activities, I think of the people I met in hospital who aren't going to get better anytime soon or are going home with a colostomy bag.

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had laparoscopic and open total hysterectomy six weeks ago yesterday. I have had severe to constant pain from bladder to mid right ribs since the night of surgery. I have had IVP (intravenous pyelogram) x-rays, ultrasounds, CAT scan, blood work, and urine test. Everything is normal, I was told by surgeon. Maybe I need to go to pain clinic. I hate using any type of medicines. I just cannot take this anymore. If I would have known it was going to be this difficult to recover I never would have done this.

Comment from: ConcernedHusband, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My wife had a partial hysterectomy in the summer of 2014. Now a year later it seems that she is going through a midlife crisis. She does not take any prescribed medication since her operation. It's been two months now and she has not been home but been out of state with her parents stating she feels like she is going to snap and cannot be around anyone or have any level of responsibility. I wonder if this is something I should be concerned about as a husband in regards to a side effect. I'm trying to be patient and understanding but am afraid that our marriage will crumble under the stress.

Comment from: FashionDesignPassion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I had an abdominal hysterectomy, vertical incision, and also an inside vaginal incision. I'm not having hot flashes or any other hormone related problems, as they were able to save one ovary. I am still having some pain, and soreness, I am five weeks post operation. Hoping to feel better soon.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on May 4th. I am now 10 days post operation and feel great. First 2 days after surgery I had a lot of gas until I had my first bowel movement 2 days after surgery and had no issues. My body seems to be back on track with regular bowel movements without issues of constipation or pain anywhere. I have to remind myself that I had major surgery so I do not overdo it. I prepped my body well prior to surgery so I would not get constipated. I started taking Metamucil 2 times a day 2 weeks before my surgery. I drank lots of water, ate more fruits and vegetables and cut back on meats. I continue to drink a lot of water and eat well to avoid hard stools. This process is sure helping my body recover. I will mention too, I lost 8 pounds. I am feeling ready to go back to work!

Comment from: Nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I have had a total abdominal hysterectomy 12 days ago for fibroids and heavy bleeding. I was concerned about the surgery but was eager to be rid of problems. I was in hospital for 3 days, the pain was relieved with pain medication which I took every 6 hours. Pain was bad for the first 4 days then began to subside nicely. I have more soreness above the incision line than the incision itself. Constipation was a problem but was relieved with a laxative and more fiber in my diet. My energy level is moderate. I am able to make dinner and do tasks in the house slowly but I haven't ventured out yet. I am pleased with my progress and looking forward to increasing my activity in the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Comment from: KellDow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy due to suffering with adenomyosis for years. The surgery started 12 noon and lasted 2 hours. I was really out of it until about 7 that night and threw up after I drank a smoothie. I had cramping and sharp pains for the first 3 days. Pressure from gas and constipation was painful but subsided after I finally had a bowel movement. It's been 2 weeks since my surgery and I'm feeling quite well. I still have a little spotting and only need to wear a panty liner. I notice that my energy runs out about 2 in the afternoon. I also still get a little pulling sensation if I walk around too long, but with a little rest and Advil I feel much better. I'm returning to work in 5 days and hoping that all my energy returns soon.

Comment from: Carrietul, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Friday 3/27/14, and today is Good Friday 4/3/14; it's been 7 days. I spent 2 nights and 3 days in hospital. The pain of the incision was bad but from the beginning the pain from gas was almost unbearable. It felt like labor pain starting in the front and moved to my back. They sent me home with 2mg Dilaudid (morphine) and I alternate with Norco 7.5 mg. I didn't start taking a stool softener immediately but I wish I would have. Sitting is terribly painful so I lie down and get tired after a short time when I'm walking. I have 1 ovary left. I would do it all again as my cervix was 3 times the size it should have been and my stomach has already lost the bloated look. The first bowel was excruciating, large and hard. But it's much better now with the stool softener.

Comment from: Lissa0207, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am 23 days post hysterectomy. I went in with the intention of having a total laparoscopic hysterectomy. Both ovaries were going to be left in. I woke up to find out, I had endometriosis scar tissue in the posterior cul-de-sac behind my uterus, on the left ovary, on my large intestine, and on my right ovary. Both ovaries and part of the large intestine were stuck on my cervix. My doctor removed the scar tissue and had to remove my left ovary due to damage caused by the scar tissue. (My pain was always on the left side). The large intestine was dangerously too close to the cervix. Therefore, my doctor left my cervix. So, I had the uterus, fallopian tubes, and left ovary removed. I initially had three small laparoscopic incisions. Then when the cervix couldn't be removed, I got an approximately 7 inch incision near the pubic bone. After 7 hours in recovery, I was sent home. I protested, but lost. Three days later, I began running a fever. I returned to the emergency room and was diagnosed with pneumonia and an abscess inside my abdominal area. I was admitted and placed on a large amount of intravenous antibiotics. Four days later, I was released. Thank goodness I didn't need and additional procedure to drain the abscess. I am still in pain, walking slow, and get tired very easily. I hope to feel better soon.

Comment from: Marilyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, repair work for a prolapsed uterus and cystocele as well as bladder sling 2 weeks ago. In recovery I had a small incision in the external vaginal area that kept bleeding and the doctor had to give me a couple of stitches to get it to stop. I did have trouble having my first bowel movement (BM) but felt much better after. I stayed in the hospital overnight and returned home the next afternoon. I was off of the oxycodone by 3 days post operation and have only used 800 mg ibuprofen 2 or 3 times a day since then. I have been surprised how quickly I have recovered. The only real issue I had was that part of the stitches doctor put in during recovery opened up and it was a little sensitive and pink. I went back in for checkup on day 12 and he said it wasn't infected but put a little silver nitrate on it to help it heal. Otherwise I am doing well. I still have a little gas pain and irregular BMs. One day diarrhea and the next mildly constipated. However, I think this is fairly normal due to the trauma of surgery and medications. I will try some of the other suggestions of warm tea. I'm 50 and have had no hot flashes or night sweats so am extremely thankful. Prior to surgery I have had back pain for years, especially the last couple. I have been seeing a chiropractor at least weekly for the past 6 or 7 months. I have been making slow progress but since surgery my back pain has improved dramatically. Who knew! Only regret is that I didn't have it done sooner.

Comment from: mea, Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had my hysterectomy done on 30.12.15 and had been recovering well since the surgery. However for the past 3 weeks I had this sharp pain on my left side of the surgery stitched area. I supposed this was due to my hectic working schedule and there are some muscle pull and cramping and now it is more obvious that the pain is caused by the surgery stitched area.

Comment from: cazmillon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

At age 59 I had a total laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy in November 2014 after being diagnosed with uterine cancer. It is now 11 weeks later and I have been back at work nearly 5 weeks. My surgeon must have been very skilled as I have had very little pain associated with the surgery. I did get painful wind in my ribs and shoulder and later got infected wounds due to bacteria, which took several weeks to clear up. I was staged as 1A which meant the cancer was caught earlier and I am now deemed free of disease. Being post menopause I have had no mood swings or depression. Still no real pain or tiredness just the odd twinge due to my uterine wall and muscles firming up. I do still worry whether I will have any bladder or bowel problems but so far so good. Everyone's recovery is different and I regard myself as lucky to have had such an easy time of it.

Comment from: proxy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I'm a 40 year old mum of three who had a total abdominal hysterectomy in August of 2010 and have been okay till sometime in 2012 when I started having lower abdominal pains and endless infections. I have been seeing the doctor about this but all medication I have been given each time would work only for that period then it would start again. I'm worried also about my bones which are excruciatingly painful, especially in winter. I don't know if there is another with the same problem as mine after a total abdominal hysterectomy. My mum died of cervical cancer just a year after I had the hysterectomy. She is the fifth victim of cancer in her family and the second victim of cervical cancer.

Comment from: blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

After dealing with extreme heavy bleeding for about 2 years, most recently having to get a transfusion, I had a laparoscopic assisted robotic supracervical hysterectomy performed. It has been 8 days after the surgery. I feel much better than I did the first 4 days. I have a little pain and soreness, mobility is slow paced, but I can get around without help now. Not rushing things, listening to my body and taking it slow.

Comment from: DavianW., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I am 5 days post operation from almost total hysterectomy. I had everything removed except left ovary because of chronic (everyday) abdominal pain for 10 months due to what they believe is endometriosis. I had stage 2 to 3 endometriosis and the pain is still with me today, on the right side, even though the surgeon said that he was able to excise it all. The surgery was not difficult at all. There was pain of course but pain medications helped. I am taking only ibuprofen since two days ago and am able to manage. I was taking hydrocodone which helped a lot and did not give me nausea like other pain killers. I just wish the right sided pain would go away. It makes me nervous that the laparoscopy vaginal hysterectomy (robotic) didn't work to get rid of the pain.

Comment from: Jaw from Ohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

It has been 14 days since I had my abdominal hysterectomy. My ovaries are still in place. Six hours after surgery I was able to get up and move around a little with help. I stayed 3 days in the hospital. My biggest issues were getting up out of bed and climbing up and down the stairs. I get tired easily, besides having a little back pain. I took pain killer for 1 week. I have no bleeding, spotting, menopause symptoms or unbearable pain. I can feel that I will have a better life ahead of me. I feel very good about the decision I made to have this hysterectomy.

Comment from: Cynthia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 12 days ago vaginally, and kept my ovaries. The internal gas pain was horrific the first 3 days then subsided. I have 4 small incisions across my belly in line with my belly button. They were itchy but manageable, they now do not itch and are healing very well. No pain to the touch. When urinating or passing bowels my insides hurt, a burning pinching feeling to this day. I had been prescribed Motrin and Norco for the pain, and I am off the Norco now and only taking the Motrin but due to the constipation I have to stop taking them. I can walk around fine after 3 days, there was a pulling pain in my lower belly, feels like I need a sling to hold it up for relief. Today walking is easy except for the pain in my lower belly, feels so much better to lie down on my back or sides, I feel no pain in those positions. I am concerned about the severe pain passing gas or defecating. It is still very painful even after 12 days and I cannot get the constipation under control. The silver lining in all of this is no periods ever again and my sexual appetite returned almost immediately. I am very happy I had this surgery only hope the internal bowels pain subsides.

Comment from: Melody Fair, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I went for a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago with left ovary removed; due to endometriosis and bleeding for more than a year. My hemoglobin went really low. I went for IV Iron therapy and my hemoglobin went up. After 6 months my hemoglobin continue to drop due to everyday non-stop bleeding while waiting for my surgery date. Before and after my surgery my hemoglobin went low again so I was given 2 packs of blood before I was discharged on the fourth day post-operation. I was suffering from pain, bloating, nausea, shortness of breath, weakness, dizziness, and was experiencing symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, depression, and irritation. I couldn't eat well, and I could only eat soup during the first week. I was walking so slow and crooked, couldn't straighten my back well due to bloating and pain. I had chills and mild fever but it was relieved with pain killer. As much as possible I don't take painkillers, unless I can't sleep of pain. I'm a side sleeper and during this time, I can't really sleep well as I can only sleep on my back. It hurts to sleep on my side until now. I tried to walk as much as I could every day. Every now and then I still feel pain inside; I have low back pain, pain urinating, and cramps on and off both legs. My doctor only wants me to see her after a month post-operation. At least there is no signs of infection at the moment but I have small amount of discharge every day. Abdominal binder helps a lot. I feel itching on the incision site and on my tummy now. My tummy is still big and I am still bloated but I can pass gas better. I eat better now. I have so much to ask my doctor about, but waiting time is long.

Comment from: Feeling alone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 49 years and last Monday I had a full hysterectomy. I came home from the hospital and I still have the catheter in me but should have that out by this Thursday. I have painful bowel movements but I'm not constipated. And I feel I need to urinate even though the catheter is in me, it hurts. My incision scar is sore and red and there are gaps in some parts. It feel thick and firm. I have wet coughs and have to buckle down and hold my stomach.

Comment from: Pdill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had complete ovarian hysterectomy seven weeks ago. I was on pain medications initially for about four weeks. I'm tired all the time and feel abdominal pain all the time. I was also put on estradiol which I had to stop because it made me dizzy. My doctor just seems to think I'm ok but I don't feel ok at all. I wish I had never had to have this done. It was the worst experience ever.

Comment from: damaris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

This is my fifth day after my hysterectomy through laparoscopy. I still have my ovaries since my doctor said I am too young for them to be removed. I stayed 2 days at the hospital. The first night was not good, I had very intense pain. I feel much better than expected. Even though I feel like running I am not supposed to lift anything more than 1 to 2 lb. No driving for 2 weeks, no heavy exercise, just walking around and rest. I get tired pretty quickly but improving every day.

Comment from: Smittysgurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I am one week and three days post abdominal (vertical) total hysterectomy and I feel great! No pain, no bleeding/spotting/discharge, no fatigue; just happy! I've suffered for at least 5 years and so glad I had the surgery.

Comment from: myregret, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 6 weeks post-operation from a da Vinci assisted hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries. I was told I would have a quick recovery with little bleeding and be pain free from what they thought was adenomyosis. None of it was true. I am in worse pelvic pain than ever before, still have bleeding issues, and pathology came back negative for adenomyosis. I now have back and bladder pain and cry every day from the biggest regret of my life. I am so ashamed I let a doctor do this to me. I thought I had researched, asked the right questions and knew what I was doing. All wrong and nothing I was told was true. This surgery has ruined my life.

Comment from: Ea,B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am 43 years old 9 days post hysterectomy, with laparoscopic vaginal surgery, bowel prolapse repair, and scar tissue removal from ovaries. My first bowel movement was horrific and my husband had to let me hold onto him while this was releasing from my bowel. After a couple of times and changes to my diet my bowels have settled down. I believe this was a shock to my body as my bowels had not moved this freely in years. I am still experiencing some vaginal bleeding. I am only taking pain medications as needed and when activity is unavoidable. I am using an inflatable donut to sit on and still using pillow support in vehicle. I am also using a large Ace bandage around my lower abdomen which has given support and is helping to lessen my abdominal and back pain. I am still having pain in the vaginal area where my stitches are and being careful not to pull these. I believe I am on the right track to recovery and going to try to take it as easy as possible until the bleeding stops.

Comment from: MLH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 43 years old and I have had very bad periods with frequent and heavy bleeding since I was a teenager. I had three laparoscopies over the years for endometriosis. After two children, things got worse with the bleeding being about every other week for about 3 to 5 days each time. March 2013 I had a tubal ligation and endometrial ablation, but still bleeding just as much. On July 16 (15 days ago), I had a vaginal hysterectomy (removal of uterus and cervix). The only issue I had was, right after surgery I couldn't urinate and I was in extreme pain. They put the catheter back in and there was major relief. I was told that due to the dissolvable sutures inside, the bladder was resting on the fresh incisions. Recovery has gone well, minor cramping and light discharge. On days I do a little more than I should, the discharge is more and red, which it is normally brown, so that tells me to slow down and get off my feet.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a full hysterectomy on 28/Jun/14, everything removed. Like the other lady it's not my scar that hurts, it's the skin above it, it feels like I've done about 5000 sit-ups every day! I also still have a bit of discharge 4 weeks later. No appointment has been made to check 6 week post operation, so I am going to get my doctor to check.

Comment from: kerima, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had my hysterectomy surgery three years ago. I have my ovaries. I'm having excruciating pain around the scar, extreme sensitivity, lower abdominal and lower back pain. Sex is horrible. I don't know what's happening to my body any more.

Comment from: NanaMama44, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I am only 24 hours out of surgery. I had a laparoscopic vaginal full hysterectomy because of 2 large fibroids, and cramping, clotting, and bleeding for the last year. My pain is very tolerable, it feels like I have done 1000 sit ups and all my muscles are sore. My doctor told me the roughest part would be the bloating and gas buildup from the surgery and she was right. The worst I feel is pressure in my rectum and being unable to pass a lot of gas but that is getting better. I quit taking my pain medications last night, they made me so nauseated but I am tolerating it all well with alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol. My daughter is surgery recovery nurse and she said that walking was the best thing to get rid of the gas pain and she was right. Good luck to anyone else out there and I may post again later to know how it's going, in a few more days.

Comment from: Mikarox, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

On July 7th I had my cervix, uterus and tubes removed due to cancer. So far, I guess recovery has been normal but I wonder if anyone else has had issues with their inner thighs and other areas being numb. It's been almost two weeks and still there's no feeling. It's kind of freaking me out! My surgeon says that it can happen but she's never had a patient that it has happened to. She could just be saying that to make me feel better. I am anxiously awaiting my next follow up appointment which is scheduled in early August to see if I need additional treatments and see if this numbness can be fixed.

Comment from: izzylala, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my full hysterectomy on 07/1/2014, it was done vaginal laparoscopy assisted. I have to say I feel little pain, and I don't really need any pain medication. I have three incisions and one vaginal and they all seem to be healing fine. I heard so many stories and I was really afraid, but now I'm living proof that it all depends on who does your surgery and which type you have. I never let myself be spoiled and be pampered with pain management and I think this is why I'm healing faster. I think this is great for it only being 5 days since surgery and only two day hospital stay.

Comment from: trina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 50 year old woman that had hysterectomy on June 4th, 2014. My family was told that the surgery would take about a 1 1/2 hours but it took 4 hours. When I was out of surgery the doctor told my husband that there was a big mistake, he had cut the ureter that connects to the right side of my bladder. I am very tired, I have to urinate out of a bag. The doctor told my husband that he did not see it, that the fibroid was very large and that he made a mistake. I went to the doctor about 3 weeks later to get tests done to see if they could put a stent in and found out that not only was my ureter injured but also I have to have reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area because of the damage that was done. I went in only for hysterectomy and to have my fibroids removed and I came out with more damage and lots of bills. I went back to the hospital with very bad infection. I'm very exhausted and not able to do much at all. Motions are very off the wall. I cry a lot to sleep and run back and forth to the doctor. I have not seen the obstetrician/gynecologist that performed the surgery that put me in this position. My primary care doctors are taking over and now they're finding a doctor that could correct the mistake that the previous doctor has done. I question myself why did I do it. Now within three more weeks I have to go in to get not just this bag off but to also get reconstructive surgery in the vaginal area. Now that's two surgeries.

Comment from: science5m, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had a vaginal hysterectomy with a bladder and rectum fix. Pain is not too bad but sitting still is slow. I can walk around the block with my husband and dog. We do this in the morning before the heat of the day. I find I need to urinate about every hour and a half to 2 hours. Doctor said this was good for the bladder. I feel good and hope to get back to my part time job at 2 1/2 weeks out. My full time work is teaching. I will work about 3 hours a day for 3 days. I'll make sure I'm good and not do too much because I don't want to do this again. Good Luck to all.

Comment from: hollie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a full hysterectomy 2/2013 at the age of 25 years. They left my left ovary for hormonal reassurance. My right tube and ovary were taken out when I was 18 years old. I have currently been experiencing a lot of pain on my left side that sometimes makes me go into the fetal position. I did have a cyst there about 3 months ago, but when I went to the doctor the last time he said it had almost disappeared. I had my bladder tied up in October of 2013 and been having trouble being able to hold my urine in long enough to make it to the restroom, especially when I first wake up. I have a doctor's appointment for tomorrow and will see what he has to say, because this really has me worried. I don't want to have another surgery. I have 2 babies (ages 4 and 2) and I'm a single mom... it would be very hard to care for them after my surgery.

Comment from: Teana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a robotic hysterectomy on June 10th. The first five days were the hardest, I was sent home with pain medications and Motrin. Bleeding stopped after a couple of days. I have a little bit of pain but not much, I just take a Motrin. I quit taking the pain pills by the end of the second week. I just saw my doctor, everything is going well after two weeks. I am going back in four weeks to check the vaginal part. The only thing that's driving me crazy is the hot flashes, the medicines help somewhat.

Comment from: Kristina1124, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 3 days ago. After waking up, I threw up several times (reaction to anesthesia) and was unable to eat food until the next day. The pain medications kept me groggy, my blood pressure was spiking all over the place, and I wasn't passing gas, so they kept me another day. (To which I had no objection to at all!) Overall, now that I am home the pain level is tolerable. Without the Toradol, it's like cramping from one hip bone to the other that really doesn't stop (it makes me grab my stomach and hold it - reminds me of my spastic gallbladder, constant aching with spikes of pain that make me catch my breath). With the Toradol, it's just a constant ache that really doesn't bother me too much. I feel the ache, though, so I know not to push myself too much. I did walk to the mailbox today and came back in to sit down for an hour or so. The first 24 hours really was the worst for me, but now I'm feeling so much better. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 7 pounds. I can eat small meals a few times a day, so I'm not pushing it. I think the best advice is to take it slow and rest afterwards as much as you can.

Comment from: balla, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I am 14 days after vaginal hysterectomy, everything was taken but one ovary. I previously had 2 C-sections, ablation, etc. I went back to work yesterday, feeling tired but otherwise doing well. If it weren't for the constipation I would be much better off. I had issues prior with constipation since I quit smoking a year ago so I expected it. If I eat more than half a meal I have pain but it is easy enough to not do that. I haven't had medicines since day 3 with the exception of ibuprofen yesterday at work (I conducted a 5 hour workshop and it was a long time on my feet). Healing is slow and frustrating, I have to remember I am not in my 20s like when I had my C-sections.

Comment from: Chauna38, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I'm 3 weeks post total hysterectomy and my incision has healed nicely. My pain is 95% gone and I walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time. I still have gas pains but not as bad as before. Each day gets better and better.

Comment from: lacey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a 16 cm fibroid removed along with my uterus 7 weeks ago, April 2014. I had abdominal (C section) surgery and dissolvable stitches. I was in the hospital 3 nights. They said to walk each day. I left with Vicodin and ibuprofen (600 mg). From day 1 after surgery I walked down my stairs and took 3 walks per day. I was in pain on my hips and left side by incision. Also some people said prior to surgery to buy milk of magnesia. Medications will constipate you. After going home, after 3 days on full stomach, I had no bowel movement! A nurse friend said to drink the milk of magnesia 3rd night and if no bowel movement, to take in the morning. Luckily I had bowel movement after 1 hour after having milk of magnesia, very painful! I took stool softener with each meal thereafter – very important! I felt like my stitches tore, when I tried to walk my dogs just 4 houses. (No more walking dogs!) I could not shower myself for 6 weeks, let alone dress myself. After week 6, I thought I felt great. Into week 7, I physically declined quickly; no energy! Now I have cut out my walking outside. I need to recover to go back to work!

Comment from: Angee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) on the 28th May. I lost lots of blood and was pumped huge amounts of fluid into my body. They nicked my bladder during surgery and had to repair it. I was sent home 25 pounds heavier in two days. I'm starting to feel a little better now but wow, it was awful! I came out of surgery with low blood pressure. So they could give me nothing for pain till my blood pressures came up.

Comment from: LAN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am 5 days out from laparoscopic hysterectomy. I had no frame of reference and did not realize there was a tumor until I had pelvic pain. Aside from the swelling, bloating and soreness, there have been no problems, thank goodness! The increased liquids and Benefiber have worked fine after the initial 3 days. I walk around quite a bit which helps things move, too. Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Comment from: sskoko, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a procedure five days ago, LAV H (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy). I am still feeling tired and slow. My incisions are sore, as is my entire low back. Biggest problem I have is gas and constipation. Because of the constipation and frequent urinating I quit taking pain medicines two days ago. Gas and bloating still exist but I managed to go to the bathroom, which was painful and not as much as it should be. I am still eating very light, soups, salad and yogurt. What helped me with gas is 1 tsp. baking soda with 2 oz. water mixed well. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: Frat59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5/7/14 almost a month ago. My stomach is still sore and strangely it is peeling; like a sun burn! I'm tired and want to be back to being me! Okay, so reality is I'm thinking another month and I may be able to sit, lay down or get out of a car without wincing. My incision isn't as sore as the ridge of skin that sits above it! I hope that shrinks! Good news is I lost about 7 lb. Who knows what's ahead of me without all my lady parts! Wishing all my fellow hysterectomy sisters a speedy recovery!

Comment from: mcb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm 8 days post-surgery from a vaginal hysterectomy. For the most part I feel fine. I still have pain where I"m assuming are the stitches inside. And it hurts when I urinate. I go to my post operation appointment Monday June 2nd. I have a lot of gas and diarrhea.

Comment from: laura68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 9 days post operation from a total hysterectomy. I had vaginal/laparoscopic removal. They left the ovaries, took everything else. I spent one night in the hospital as I always seem to have a rough time with anesthesia. I"m getting okay. I"m not 100%, but I"m getting better every day. I do find myself getting tired easily. I hope I get my energy back soon. My laparoscopic incisions are healing nicely, but I have large bruises around each incision. I do have minimal pain and haven't stopped pain medications yet. I"m so thankful my husband took a couple weeks of vacation to help me out.

Comment from: angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a total hysterectomy with an incision 7 inches horizontally on 4-22-14. I was sent home 48 hours after surgery. I am in the same amount of pain as before I left the hospital. I was sent home with pain killers and Motrin. Before I had this done I had a D&C ablation done before Christmas. I am part of the 20% that it didn"t work on, so I am grateful to have had this surgery. I can barely walk, just to the bathroom and to bed, that's about it. To sit up it hurts. To get up and down it hurts. I know it is going to take some time to feel better but I hope it happens soon.

Comment from: Becca, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 29

My mom had a hysterectomy in the fall of 2013 and she still has excessive drainage and discharge from her vaginal area. Just last few days she has had bleeding there as well. She has had a slight infection before and after the surgery. The doctors have prescribed her at least 3 or 4 medications for her infection and none of them has worked. She has never seen the doctor who performed the surgery afterwards. I am currently trying to find her another doctor.

Comment from: Jenjen40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had a full hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. I"ve been feeling some pain on my lower left side, kind of like period cramps but worse. I never did anything about it. Today at my pain management the doctor was going over my MRI report of my sacrum (lower back) and it showed everything to be normal, but also found something interesting... a 16-mm left-sided structure likely representing an ovarian or para tubal cyst. I"m a little freaked out about this and my doctor seemed a little concerned as well.

Comment from: aj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

This is day 13 after having a full radical abdominal hysterectomy after years of heavy debilitating periods, fibroids and endometriosis. I suffered bladder problems and infections, but now sorted, however cannot believe the pain on the right side of my scar. Doctors tell me it is nerve damage but no one else has mentioned this. I wonder if anyone else has suffered this. Generally I feel good although a little emotional and tired. Although it's early days I cannot wait to feel like a "new woman". Good luck to all you ladies going through the same.

Comment from: Patricia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 17, I"m 39 years old. I had significant bloating and horrible pain on my left side which I still have. My doctor said the left side is where the grinder went through as my uterus and ovaries were three times the size. I"m going back to work on Monday but feel so exhausted. I don"t feel ready. I"ve been working from home all along.

Comment from: Shiella, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a total hysterectomy through vaginal laparoscopy. It is my 11th day today and I am still taking it slowly. I feel pain in the lower part of my body but not too bad. I took extra strength Tylenol. The day of my surgery was Thursday morning. The next thing I knew it was 1:30 pm already. If the nurse did not wake me up I probably would have been still sound asleep. I felt okay did not feel any pain during the evening, I was walking and it helps loosen my cramps. My doctor encourages me to walk so that I won't develop blood clot. My worst day was the second day of my surgery, I felt so cold and was in pain. My tummy was bloated and I felt like a frog. I had a hard time sitting, every time I sat down I was stuck and couldn't get up. I was helpless. The good thing to happen was that I had bowel movement and I felt relieved. Through my experience I understood diet is very important, eating healthy foods is essential. Kale is very good to help you go and fresh ginger tea helps you pass gas. Walking here and there helps, just don't overdo it, listen to your body. Recently I am experiencing hot flash. I am 37 and my doctor said it was expected, I have menopausal symptoms overtime, in the middle of the night I was up because my clothes were wet. So far am doing okay, managing my up and down. I am not driving yet, I will try this week. I went already for grocery with my hubby, I always remind myself not to carry heavy stuff.

Comment from: trisha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Eleven days ago I had an abdominal radical hysterectomy due to large fibroids. They took the works, which I am pleased to say at my age is great. I am still very sore and have a bloated belly but can gently move around and get things done. My husband is a wonderful help. I was in a lot of pain when all this started in December 2013 and was so pleased when I had the operation as I knew I was on my way to the old me. Constipation is still a bit of a problem, so I just take a syrup twice a day until it is sorted. I am very tired so I figure two hours up and at it and two hours resting just about works out right for me. Lots of love and good luck to my many sisters out there from me here!

Comment from: mmartin8, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

On 3/20/14 I had a partial hysterectomy with full abdominal surgery due to large fibroids and heavy bleeding. I had previously had a myomectomy 12 years ago (removal of fibroids) and a C-section with the birth of my daughter 7 years ago. It is now 8 days later and I am still in pain. I must mention that my intestines and bladder were stuck to my uterus due to the previous surgeries and scar tissue. I am trying not to take pain medication except for ibuprofen because I hate the grogginess and inability to think clearly. I"m hoping I can go back to work soon.

Comment from: Ssybo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with ovaries removed, some lymph nodes, as they suspected ovarian cancer. CA125 was 700 at operation, frozen section diagnosis as borderline, luckily it all tested as benign in end. I was in hospital for 6 nights, the experience wasn"t as bad as I thought. I had epidural in for 3 days, pain wasn"t too bad, was sick and had gas pains on the 2nd night, then had bladder infection and urine retention after I went home. I had to go back in for 1 night, had to have catheter for a week, but this is sorted out now. Five weeks on am feeling better, except for not sleeping very well, but no menopause symptoms.

Comment from: Dubbi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I just had my surgery done on March 20, laparoscopic hysterectomy, my uterus, both ovaries and fallopian tubes are removed. I stayed overnight and second day I was at home, I took pain killers (Motrin) for first 2 days only. I only experienced some cramps, a little constipation, and a lot of fatigue, but still worth it. I just want to add that everybody is different and that you should start working on it before at least 2 weeks. Watch your diet, eat healthy, and exercise a lot so that you are ready for the big day and afterwards, drink lot of water, let it flush out; for energy, drink Gatorade.

Comment from: graciecook, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I originally had heavy bleeding. So I went in for NovaSure. Unfortunately he hit me with a blast that was too strong and too hard and everything fell out. Not realizing that the doctor was the reason this happened, I went back to him for a hysterectomy, bladder sling, rectocele, and a cystocele. It has been a year since the hysterectomy. He didn"t put me back together correctly. He attached everything too tightly to the left side of my coccyx, and now I can barely walk and the pain is intense.

Comment from: Nora, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a partial laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I kept my ovaries. I"ve had no pain, bleeding or discharge. The only thing was the bloating. Since I feel so good I want to do everything I did before. I have to keep reminding myself I just had major surgery. Up to now I"m glad I had it done.

Comment from: bored to death, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I just turned 45 on February 11th. When going to my family doctor for my yearly checkup I was called and told my hemoglobin was 7.0. I already knew what the problem was so I called my obstetrician/gynecologist. I saw her the same day and I was told after exam and a sonogram that I had to have a total hysterectomy. It was scheduled for the next Tuesday. If my HB was high enough to have it. It fell to 6.8 so I had a transfusion the night before. It will be a week march 4th that I had the surgery. I had a total abdominal with everything removed. The worst so far was in the recovery room. I had severe nausea, I believe only due to the pain. They put me on a pain pump and it helped a lot. My hemoglobin came up post operation because there was no more bleeding. The catheter, oxygen, leg wraps and IV were gone the next morning. I even got up in a chair the same evening as surgery. I came home on the second day and so far so good. My hubby keeps yelling at me to sit and I do have pain but so far it has been much worth it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter