Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.

Comment from: Ali.B, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 52 and had a full abdominal hysterectomy 9 days ago. Reason for surgery, fibroids! One measured 7 cm and bled continuously causing chronic anemia, hospital stays, blood transfusions, etc. First 4 days post operation I didn't feel very good at all but I'm feeling much better now and I'm far more mobile. My scar is still very sore and tender and I find that I can't stand for too long but I'm able to do far more for myself now. It is vital to keep mobile but rest is equally as important. I ticked all the boxes for hormone replacement therapy so was lucky enough to be put on patches before leaving hospital. Emotionally I'm good and I'm looking forward to a better quality of life without the dreaded bleeding and feeling constantly tired and under the weather. Happy days.

Comment from: ACE 02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal). I was doing fine post operation for a month, then I started having problems with my bladder. I was having accidents, especially during the night. I would start urinating and would wet my pants between the bedroom and bathroom. Or during the day it would just happen without warning.

Comment from: Saunders, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I had a full hysterectomy, uterus, tubes, ovaries along with cervix removed, because of cancer, on January 19, 2017. It has been now nearly 1 month and staples and stitches are out but I have horrible pressure and sharp pain as if I was having an appendix attack except I have no appendix. I cannot lie on my sides as the pressure gets worse. I can't find and answers anywhere to tell me if this is at all normal. Oh yes, I also started with a yellowish discharge and now I am spotting off and on.

Comment from: Lanie, Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I am 44 years old and had a full hysterectomy 12 days ago (ovaries, fallopian tubes everything taken). The first 7 days after operation I felt good, no bleeding or spotting, etc. The last 2 or 3 days I have had awful tummy ache, spotting bleed, and generally I feel off. I am not sure why I feel like this now after a week of feeling ok.

Comment from: LB, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago (December 15). I am 69 years old and had everything removed including some lymph nodes. My recovery as to incisions is ok but I am having pain when I have to move my bowels. I am taking stool softeners. I find it easier to go if I lean back on the toilet. No problem with urination, but pain if I try and strain to pass stools. I also have lost my appetite (not necessarily a bad thing). I sometimes experience slight nausea and have some depression; more than just the blues. My follow up is on January 3 with my surgeon and I'll ask her about these things. Good luck to the rest of you!

Comment from: Cecille, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I had a full hysterectomy on December 7 with a horizontal incision (bikini cut). I had pain medication the first two days after surgery (staying at the hospital 2 nights). Then, I had pain medication every four hours but it was too much (hydrocodone) and I felt sleepy and lethargic for too long. After consulting my doctor, I immediately changed the pain medication to something milder, first ibuprofen and now acetaminophen; seems to be the best for me at this point. I feel better and more alert and able to do light house chores. I don't feel like driving or walking for too long, or do any other strenuous activity but I definitely feel much better. My advice is be careful with pain medication and try to understand the pain in your body. Keep moving but stop and rest (sit or lie down for a little) if you feel the pain.

Hysterectomy - Treatments Question: What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy - Recovery Question: What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?