A hysterectomy is a surgical procedure in which the uterus is removed. There are a variety of surgical techniques for performing hysterectomies, which include:
- vaginal hysterectomy,
- total hysterectomy,
- laparoscopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH),
- supracervical hysterectomy,
- laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy,
- radical hysterectomy,
- and oophorectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy hysterectomies.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Ovarian Cancer Symptoms, Signs, Stages
Learn about ovarian cancer symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments. Follow the progression of ovarian cancer stages from stage 1 to...
Picture of Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus (the womb) and the single most common indication for hysterectomy. See a picture...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Better Sex After 50
It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how to overcome common health conditions affecting those over 50 such as...
Related Disease Conditions
Endometriosis (Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Prognosis)
Endometriosis implants are most commonly found on the ovaries, the Fallopian tubes, outer surfaces of the uterus or intestines,...
Uterine Fibroids (Benign Tumors of the Uterus)
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that originate in the uterus and are usually round or semi-round in shape. The most common...
List of Medical Abbreviations (Acronyms and Definitions)
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions...
Though uterine cancer's cause is unknown, there are many factors that will put a woman at risk, including being over age 50,...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
There are many types of ovarian cancer, epithelial carcinoma is the most common. Women with a family history of ovarian cancer...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Benign uterine growths are tissue enlargements of the female womb (uterus). Three types of benign uterine growths are uterine...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Cervical dysplasia is a condition in which the cells of the inner lining of the cervix have precancerous changes. There are two...
Premature Menopause (Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Premature menopause is when menopause occurs in a woman before the age of 40. Causes of premature menopause include premature...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Hysterectomy - Describe Your Experience
Please describe your Hysterectomy experience.Post View 100 Comments
Hysterectomy - Treatments
What tests or treatments were performed before your hysterectomy?Post View 6 Comments
Hysterectomy - Recovery
What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy?Post View 61 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Post-Op Opioids: How Much Is Enough?
- Could Hormone Supplements for Menopause Make a Comeback?
- Many U.S. Women Unaware of Fibroid Treatments: Poll
- Less-Invasive Fibroid Treatment May Be 'Under-Used'
- U.S. Deaths From Cervical Cancer May Be Underestimated
- Menopause and a Decline in Intimacy
- Use of Cancer-Linked Fibroid Device Declines After FDA Warning
- Hormone Therapy Won't Help Memory After Menopause
- Is Ovary Removal Tied to Colon Cancer Risk?
- Robots Stake Their Claim in the Operating Room
- Women's Sex Lives Get a Boost After Non-Surgical Fibroid Treatment
- FDA Tightens Rules for Using Mesh Implants in Women's Surgery
- Antibiotic Resistance Could Threaten Surgery, Chemo Patients
- Hysterectomy at Younger Age Tied to Heart Disease Risks
- Menopausal Women at Lower Heart Risk Than Men of Similar Age
- More Evidence C-Sections Riskier for Moms
- Low Cancer Risk With Device Used to Remove Fibroids, Study Finds
- Infection Most Likely Cause of Hospital Readmission After Surgery
- Full Bladder May Get a Third of Women Over 40 Up at Night
- FDA Adds 'Boxed Warning' to Devices Used to Remove Uterine Fibroids
- Weight-Loss Surgery Has Low Complication Rates, Study Finds
- Study: Many Seniors Get Unnecessary Cancer Tests
- J&J Pulls Hysterectomy Tool Tied to Cancer Risk From Market
- Technique Used in Some Hysterectomies May Help Spread Cancer: Study
- FDA Advisers Weigh Risks of Procedure for Removal of Uterine Fibroids
- U.S. Cervical Cancer Rates Higher Than Thought
- FDA Warns Against Procedure for Uterine Fibroids
- Postmenopausal Estrogen Therapy Tied to Lower Glaucoma Risk
- Cervical Cancer Screening Found to Benefit Older Women in New Study
- Uterine Fibroids Take Heavy Toll on Women, Survey Finds
- Avoidance of Hormone Therapy May Have Harmed Hysterectomy Patients: Study
- Many Docs Don't Follow HPV/Pap Test Guidelines: Study
- Hysterectomy May Not Raise Heart Risks After All: Study
- Vitamin D May Help Prevent Uterine Fibroids
- Doctors Too Pap-Happy, Survey Suggests
- More Evidence Shows Hormone Therapy May Increase Breast Cancer Risk
- Sharp Rise Seen in Robotically Assisted Hysterectomies
- Early Ovary Removal May Be Tied to Lapses in Memory, Thinking
- Younger Women Start to Follow Pap Test Guidelines: CDC
- Multiple C-Sections Linked to Raised Complication Risks: Study
- Less Frequent Pap Tests Safe for Most Women, Ob/Gyn Group Says
- Scientists Uncover Genetic Link for Uterine Fibroids
- Early Menopause May Double Heart Disease Risk, Study Says
- Panel: Hormone Therapy Not for Disease Prevention
- Is Combining Hysterectomy and a Tummy Tuck Safe?
- Lower Risk for Bowel Obstruction With Less Invasive Surgery: Study
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
- Long-Term Estrogen Therapy Does Up Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- New Cervical Cancer Guidelines: Less Screening
- Estrogen After Hysterectomy Lowers Cancer Risk?
- New Drug Treats Fibroids With Fewer Side Effects
- CDC: Cancer Screening Below Target Rates
- Guidelines Suggest Less Frequent Screening for Cervical Cancer
- Gene Mutation Found in Uterine Fibroids
- Study: Ovary Removal Doesn't Raise Heart Risk
- Estrogen-Only HRT Not So Risky in 50s
- Smoking Raises Surgery Risks
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter