Patient Comments: Hysterectomy - Recovery

What was the recovery time for your hysterectomy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: AzCowgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm 47 and had total abdominal hysterectomy (bikini incision from hip to hip) with the exception of leaving 1 tube. The surgery went well, except during surgery the trauma surgeon had to be called in to remove my bowels that were attached to some old scar tissue from 23 years ago from my tubal ligation. The recovery went well, in the hospital I was up walking by 11:30 that night. It was a very short walk but I walked. They removed my urine catheter the next morning and that's when all the fun began because I was on a full IV drip and had full bladder every 2 hours. I had to wait for them to disconnect leg bands to prevent clots then I had to sit up and walk to the bathroom! Every 2 hours! Miserable. Surgery was Tuesday at 7:30 am and I asked to be discharged Thursday at 7 am. I came home and have been resting. My appetite slowly returned a few days later. The incision is doing great. I have stiches and what they call superglue over the top of them so they are well protected. I have been able to shower although very exhausted when I'm done as of right now. I'm 6 days post operation and doing better than I thought I would be at this stage. Oh, and I have to keep the post-surgery belly band they put me in for support, it's a whole different story when it's off. I feel like my bottom half is trying to pull me down without it.

Comment from: tennesee77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 39 years old, and I had a full hysterectomy. The normal time in hospital is 4 days, but I stayed for 1 day and was released the next day. The next 2 days I just lay down and did nothing but watch TV and drink water. It got boring pretty quick. The recovery is 6 weeks people, but I didn't follow the rules. I was driving within 4 days, not that I was joyriding but it is called kids and bills, and I am a mother. So I stuck jackets and pillows in front of my seat belt and drove, sad, but yes I did fine. It has been almost a month and 5 days and I have done everything but bend and stretch; no sex. I recovered on no pain medicines and I did fine. There was no blood, I had 48 staples, and I am doing fine.

Comment from: Amiboo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

It's been one week since I had a full hysterectomy plus ovaries and I'm feeling really good. My doctor did a vertical incision on my belly and the pain hasn't been nearly as bad as I was expecting. At first I was taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours but after about 2 1/2 days I started taking just 1 and I've been fine. The only time it has really hurt was when I bend to stand or sit and that's not that bad at all anymore. I haven't had much of an appetite but I'm trying to stay on a mostly liquid diet to avoid constipation problems from the pain pills. At least they don't seem to be making me nauseous.

Comment from: Maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am 41 and had total abdominal hysterectomy 4 months ago for the reason of a very big fibroid. Operation was over in 2 hours and I was told I lost a lot of blood. I felt very little pain after the operation and got up the next day. I was 3 days in hospital and home after that. I starting working at 4 weeks. Four months later I feel great. I lost some weight. I didn't lose any hair. I actually feel great. People say I look better too. I do not feel any changes to my mind or body and I do not feel any pain. Good luck to everybody who is about to have an operation. I read all the scary reviews before the operation and was so scared. No reason at all. It was no more scary/difficult than pulling a tooth.

Comment from: debb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my hysterectomy almost a year ago. I ended up having to be cut, it took me a full 6 weeks to recover. I spent 5 days in hospital, and the pain was terrible. They gave me so many drugs that affected me badly, so I asked for them to be stopped, and just had the normal Panadol. I couldn't walk far, climb stairs, even carrying a cup of coffee felt like it was so heavy. I didn't get any pain relief from hospital to go home with, I just battled along. My younger sister had hers done 2 days ago, had to stay in ICU and got out today, and is now out shopping. She had it all taken through her stomach, and said they found cancer on her ovaries. I've told her to take it easy, as she has 3 very young kids. But she seems to be jumping through hoops. Maybe it just I being shook.

Comment from: lillys, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had my total abdominal hysterectomy with bilateral tubes and ovaries removed. I'm in my second day post-operation and with a lot of pain, just can walk a little bit. I hope that it gets better.

Comment from: williow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had a full hysterectomy on 3rd May, 2017. I came home next morning and felt great. I didn't have anything for pain after surgery, went out for a walk that afternoon and continued walking daily. I haven't had any pain but from day one I have a sickly feeling which is driving me potty. It is like morning sickness. Also I am really tired this week, I wonder if I have done too much.

Comment from: SHELLI, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

On June 22, 2017 I had a full complete vaginal hysterectomy. Overall, I feel great, but have a lot of questions because from here on out, I'm not sure what to expect with post operation exercising. I have had to do a lot of internet reading because information anywhere else is vague. I hear that running after a hysterectomy is not such a good thing anymore because of potential prolapse. I want to remain in good health. I just don't know what to expect.

View Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: CONCERNED GOING ON 5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I am 49 years of age and I had a full hysterectomy the first week of August. Cancer was found and I am taking chemotherapy. But I am still numb in the area where my incision is. I wonder if this is normal. I can drive, work, do housework but this numbness and tightness are beginning to be an issue for me. I wonder if anyone else has the same issue. I know that recovery time is different for everyone. My doctor said that it's normal and takes time but I am reading others information and I don't see this pattern.

Comment from: Rene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had an abdominal hysterectomy March of 2016 and to this day experience some slight pain but nothing like before the surgery. I too had light bleeding afterwards in which my doctor said it was due to issues with the internal scar tissue and had to place some additional medication to heal and seal the tissue. That minor procedure seems to have worked. We are monitoring the minor pain that I have been having in which my doctor said she will order more scans if the pain does not stop after a few more months just to make sure that there is not something else going on that needs to be looked at.

Comment from: Mrs.D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had robotic assisted total hysterectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, and lymphadenectomy, for a cancer diagnosis, on September 30, 2016. I have pain getting out of bed, standing, walking more than 7000 steps, and sitting in car on bumpy road. I have pain under belly button, and under right incisions. I only took Advil and Tylenol during the first 2 weeks. I started walking 2000 to 4000 steps first 2 weeks then 4000 to 7000 week 3. Pain increased week 4 and felt like a setback. I have been doing light housework, cooking and shopping for groceries since 2nd week. I am going back for follow up at week 6 hoping I feel better. It is hard to bend without pain and a stinging sensation. My work is demanding physically and mentally, not sure I will be ready to go back at week 6.

Comment from: Melly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy with everything removed. The doctor did a vertical incision. I'm 12 days into recovery, walking about 2 km fairly slow, doing stairs, light housework, laundry and cooking. I did not take well to the hydromorphone that was given by epidural in the hospital, my blood pressure dropped considerably and I couldn't sit up for a day after without vomiting. I was given a prescription for the same medication to take for pain, but decided to take Tylenol 1 for pain. I'm taking it once a day in the afternoon and taking NyQuil before bed to help me sleep. It has 600 mg of acetaminophen. I was hoping to drive after two weeks but hoping now to drive by 2 1/2 weeks. I had the staples out at 10 days. That was a piece of cake. I had been worried unnecessarily. My incision is healing well, but it hurts as does the area around it. By evening, it's pretty sensitive and the skin feels hot to the touch. I was napping twice a day for the first week, but sleeping little at night and getting up very early. Now I am napping once in the afternoon. I think I strained my abdomen laughing too hard, it seems to be healing as well.

Comment from: Andrea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I am 48 and had a laparoscopic hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. I had 6 1/2 weeks in total off work. By the second week I was so bored and doing too much at home though not lifting anything heavy. My belly button wound kept oozing clear fluid until week 2 and the hospital told me it was because I was trying to do too much too soon and to rest. I knew I was not up to driving or standing/sitting for long periods as my body would start to ache. In the end the only way I could stop myself doing anything at home was to go away from home and I booked a 10 day ultra-cheap cruise. I left at 3 1/2 weeks post operation and took my son so he could carry the luggage. Ten days of no cooking or cleaning and just relaxing. Although I felt a bit guilty about it workwise, a nurse friend of mine told me she could not think of a better way to relax. After that I felt like I could do a lot more but could feel my limits as my body would still ache afterwards. The first week back at work was tiring but now at 8 weeks post operation I feel I could start moderate exercise. To the women who feel they can do so much after a couple of weeks I would advise to be careful as adhesions can form internally. This is why the hospital told me to rest.

Comment from: Smitty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 62 years old, diagnosed with endometrial cancer. I had laparoscopic vaginal assisted hysterectomy. I went home the next day, needed no medication at all. I have had no feeling of tiredness, no pain, no change in appetite. My surgeon was wonderful. I was thinking I would take 6 weeks off work, I could have gone back a week later.

Comment from: frenchtwist, Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had a full hysterectomy almost 3 months ago and I healed very well. But my first advice is, never push a shopping cart; everyone said, don't lift, which I didn't. Make sure you rest and drink plenty of water. My doctor was excellent. I didn't have stitches, or a lot of pain.

Comment from: micheleinsd, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 06

I had a total laparoscopic hysterectomy about 6 1/2 weeks ago. Being sent home the same day caused me to have a catheter for 4 nights and then a urinary tract infection from it. If you can request staying in the hospital at least one night, I would suggest it. Beyond that, no problems. I am very physically active, so not being able to surf for 6 weeks has been tough. I tried surfing and felt pain, so no more surfing for a couple of weeks. My doctor let me lounge in the ocean/pool at 4 weeks, and I started gently swimming at 5 weeks. Sex has been great since 6 weeks, of course. If you are already active, I would suggest doing everything you are allowed so that you don't have to recover from your recovery.

Comment from: Sweetfitz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

I am 53 years old. I had a laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago tomorrow. First of all, I am thrilled to look forward to life without the constant gushing bleeding. I found out there is something called adenomyosis that wasn't found until after the surgery, but was the reason I bled every day for the last year. First few days were painful. Heating pad with medicines was a life saver. Pain still is impressive whenever I sit straight up too long or drive very far; probably would be better but the ibuprofen made my stomach hurt. Fatigue is still moderate, but my doctor said no work for 6 to 8 weeks. Reading other people's posts were helpful. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: mkl7993, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have read so many different ways that a hysterectomy can affect a woman that there is no set recovery, you can only read what others have gone through and relate it to you. I had a vaginal hysterectomy with vaginal laparoscopy four days ago. I stayed one night at the hospital. I knew about constipation and took stool softeners when I got home. I tried to go on just ibuprofen but found that the pain was too much. I have read some go off right away while others continue. I am just going to do what is best for me. I am going to be out of work for six weeks and plan to use it to give my body the best recovery possible. Even though I read how some are back to work or doing marathons under the estimated recovery time, I plan to focus just on me as every woman should. The recovery can vary for everyone so remember that and take care of you; listening to your body is the best advice.

Comment from: Michelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I returned to work after two weeks, which was not great idea; I could have used another week at home. I still have some pain in my abdomen, but my incision is healing well. I am really tired most of the time, usually in the afternoon. I know that this surgery was the best thing for me with the constant bleeding but I really look forward to getting back to my normal self.

Comment from: Berneak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 49 years of age and have experienced my 3rd nose bleed in one week. The first two happened in my sleep. The third occurred while driving to work, and I didn't have anything to wipe it with, which caused me to panic. After bleeding for 10 minutes I finally made it to work still bleeding which resulted in calling the ambulance and being rushed to the emergency room. After arriving at the emergency room, because I panicked, my blood pressure went up and the doctors couldn't get it down. Four hours later after losing 2 liters of blood, doctors and nurses were finally able to get my nose to stop bleeding. They inserted an object in my nose like a tampon which I had to keep in my nose for 24 hours. I am so glad they got it under control but I must say that was the scariest medical experience I've ever had and I don't wish it on anybody. And now I am resting and trying to rebuild my blood count up by eating beets and vegetables, taking iron pills, and drinking lots of fluids also. That experience resulted in my doctors giving me blood pressure pills.

Comment from: Strell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

It is one week ago today that I had a full hysterectomy. The nurse who took out my 15 staples said I healed amazingly well, I told her that part of my pain management was to keep an ice pack over the scar (wrapped in a towel). This helped me to get through the pain and it seems to have helped my recovery overall.

Comment from: Staci, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 07

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy on 12/16/15, and spent only 1 night in the hospital, and have not taken any pain medication other than 3 times 200 mg ibuprofen. I drove on 12/19 and returned to work on 12/28. I did a 5K on 1/3/16 and returned to the gym on 1/4/16. I couldn't be happier with how things worked out for me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy with removal of the ovaries four days ago. The first night in the hospital was rough, but I started feeling better about 9 the next morning. I really feel much better than I expected. I have to be careful not to overdo it and get plenty of sleep, but thus far I am pleasantly surprised at the ease of recovery.

Comment from: Akiiki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy 16 days ago due to multiple large fibroids. My fallopian tubes were also removed. I spent 2 days in the hospital. The first 5 days were the worst with difficulty walking, sitting up and down, etc. I am still sleeping more than usual but most of the pain is now gone. I go on short walks and started driving 10 days after the procedure. I still can't move fast or lift things but otherwise feel pretty good. The incision area is numb which feels weird and there is still some swelling. Coughing and sneezing is finally tolerable as long as I put pressure on my incision area. I think by week 3 I'll start to feel pretty normal.

Comment from: Frankenwendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy 16 days ago and I'm doing ok. I had the surgery to remove a 7 cm fibroid that was causing me to bleed out every month eventually sending me to the emergency room for blood transfusion. That's when they found the fibroid. The first week post-surgery was rough with constipation and nausea from the prescription pain medicines, and a lot of pain, but it's much better now. I'm controlling pain with an OTC anti-inflammatory drug. I can't sit down on a chair yet, and am still sore around my incisions and inside. The exterior of my vagina was very swollen which is just now resolving. I haven't driven yet and hope to be able to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I just had my 2 week checkup and doctor says I'm doing fine. I'm just now able to get up and down from a lying down position without stabbing pain. I can finally lie on my side when I sleep. I am avoiding coughing, sneezing, and laughing because it creates stabbing pain in my abdomen.

Comment from: Positive rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had my total hysterectomy on April 7th, 3 weeks ago. I'm driving, and I went to work a week ago. I'm feeling better every day, really tired in the afternoons, pain is moderate, and today I had some pressure in my lower stomach. Overall it is not too bad, however I'm looking forward to be me again.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries, 4 weeks ago. My recovery feels slow but with two children to look after I am not accustomed to doing nothing for more than 10 minutes at a time let alone 2 weeks. Fortunately my mum moved in and has been strict with me. I'm now only taking Ibuprofen for hidden pain but am still unable to wear trousers; thank goodness for leggings! Driving will be dictated by my insurance policy but currently the thought of doing an emergency stop is far from my mind. I had planned to be working at home from week 3 but am surprised by how tired I feel each afternoon following a slow 15 minute stroll in the mornings. Now belief returning to work 6 weeks post-operation was an over optimistic plan!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. Other than twinges of pain if I move wrong I feel fantastic. I have to remind myself to take it easy. I do have to take a nap around mid-day. I have no regrets about having this done and look forward to having a better quality of life and not having my life controlled by my uterus!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had my hysterectomy 10 days ago. It was vaginal with a robotic arm. I kept my ovaries. I am feeling pretty good. I am driving and carrying on with my days pretty normally. I have a feeling of menstrual cramps when I start getting tired. I have treated with aspirin. I am continuing to take a stool softener. Having a bowel movement has been by far the worst part. I expect to feel normal very soon. I have no bleeding at all. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: supermomwife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 2 weeks ago. My uterus, tubes, fibroids and one ovary were removed. The pain has decreased some, but the gas pain and soreness are awful. There is still some drainage from the incision, but my doctor says it's normal. There was only minimal vaginal spotting, which only lasted a couple of days. I am very tired most of the time and don't have much of an appetite. I was constipated for the first week, but since then it seems I have diarrhea. I have lost about 3 pounds. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and no more excessive periods and constant anemia. Best wishes to all of my fellow sisters.

Comment from: airmanswife, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

It's been 20 days since my hysterectomy. I've been feeling absolutely normal since about 6 days after the surgery. I'm 39 and only had my uterus removed, because of prolapse. My surgery was vaginal. Up until yesterday I had to keep reminding myself not to lift things and having to wait another 3 weeks to have sex with my husband is driving us both crazy. I guess I was feeling too good because it didn't even cross my mind yesterday when I played ball in the yard with my kids, siblings, nieces and nephews. I was even doing cartwheels with my daughter. Today I feel horrible! And I deserve to. I clearly overdid it. I don't have any bleeding but I hurt all over. My husband says he can't believe he didn't think to remind me but, I've been feeling so normal that it didn't even occur to either of us.

Comment from: Firefighter1419, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Today is the 4th day post a total abdominal hysterectomy plus one ovary that was attached to my uterus that had to go as well. I was in the hospital 2 days. I am working hard to take it easy and not lift more than 5 lb. per my doctor, but I have been up and around and up and down stairs since I have been home. I have worn the abdominal brace that was on after surgery, which helps me a lot. I am alternating Vicodin and ibuprofen for pain. Blowing nose and coughing are my biggest threats. Planning to walk on treadmill for 20 minutes as I am normally too active to sit still. Recovery is going well. No bleeding/discharge to date.

Comment from: Samy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had an abdominal hysterectomy nearly three weeks ago, I feel pain free most of the time and have to keep reminding myself that I can"t lift anything heavy. I am so used to being over active it"s hard, not lifting furniture, etc. My uterus was 843 gm in weight (normal would be around 40 to 70gms) I am so glad to have it removed and can feel the difference. Only thing is I get tired very quickly and find I have to have a nap midday for an hour or so. I feel exhausted if I don"t. I had three incisions on my belly, which burn slightly now and then. I have been advised by my general physician to rest, do nothing for at least six weeks and full recovery would take around three months!

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 14 days out from abdominal (vertical) hysterectomy. The doctor removed a grapefruit size tumor off my left ovary. I was in hospital for 4 days. I got up and walked with help 4 hours after surgery (not pretty), but I think it helped. Staples were out (30) on day 6. I am feeling good, have a little pain, and some pressure. Energy is low by evening. I have never had surgery before but I think it went well. The doctor was very honest about initial pain. I wrote a healing plan before going in.

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 28

I had a total hysterectomy and oophorectomy due to menorrhagia, endometriosis and fibroids. It is 3 weeks now and I still have some bleeding, trouble walking long distances and standing for long periods. Unfortunately I suffered a hematoma in the wound which had to be drained and resulted in an infection that meant a 9 day stay in hospital with IV antibiotics. Constipation proved a problem initially but the side effect of the antibiotics had the opposite effect, unfortunately making the whole thing seem more of an ordeal. I still need an afternoon nap as I tire the more I do. The operation itself and pain wasn"t as bad as I expected but the whole ordeal would make me seriously consider this operation if I was asked again.

Comment from: lilly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

On February 10th, I had a hysterectomy done laparoscopically, ovaries remained. I left the hospital on the 11th, started driving on the 14th. I took ibuprofen more for anti-inflammation than for pain. I am pleasantly surprised at how great I feel. I am avoiding lifting/sex, but was okayed to walk on the treadmill or use the elliptical, just no abdominal exercises. I took 5 weeks off from work, going to enjoy it!

Comment from: katdental, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had my total hysterectomy 2 weeks ago today. My specialist (amazing) had to make my incision from hip to hip to remove a 14 inch fibroid weighing close to 20lbs. And I don"t know if it was the skill of my obstetrician or just my healing rate but I am almost 100% ok. I have been doing my daily routine while stilling running after our 3 year old since the 2nd day released from hospital. The only issues I experience are pressure when I sit down but I'm fine when I'm seated, and itchy scar where the 30 staples where removed. I have had no bleeding or discharge since the day of surgery and have been on no heavy medications, only Tylenol extra strength since the day after surgery. My energy has returned and all my other symptoms have disappeared since I have had my surgery. So thankful that I have done it!

Comment from: Nadia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I had my hysterectomy in December 2012. I was told that I could drive after a week and work after two weeks. Well, I could not do either for 7 weeks. I was in constant pain and all I got was pain killers. I am still in pain and thought it was my colon but I am just sore internally because after a year I am still not fully healed. I am happy that I had the operation but to have to take so long to heal is not right.

Comment from: Fiona H, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had a vaginal hysterectomy two weeks ago and I feel great. I was given both general anesthesia and a spinal (which I think helped with post-operation pain management). I never needed narcotics to go home with. I went home after 24 hours and other than some aching and tiredness for the first few days, I've been fine. I could drive after five days, and I can do pretty much anything. Obviously I am abiding by the no heavy lifting and nothing in the vagina rules! I am truly surprised at how quickly I have bounced back; so, apparently, is my doctor, who chided me in jest for walking speedily to the bathroom to leave my sample (at my two-week post-operation check-up yesterday).

Comment from: Tori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had my hysterectomy a week and a half ago. Everything is fine except I still have a discharge/bleeding from my vagina and I'm in pain because of my stitches. I feel like I'm ready to go back to work but my doctor wants me to wait three more weeks. I don't feel any more pressure from my vagina because of the prolapse.

Comment from: jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I had a hysterectomy and removal of a very large, calcified ovarian tumor. Three weeks on I have severe abdominal pain, no energy and a poor appetite. I expected to feel pain-free and fitter much sooner.

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in August 2016 and till today, I still have light bleeding and discharge. I have pain around my belly button. I assume it is from the incisions in the area. I wonder if any other women have or are going through this and what has their doctor told them.

Comment from: happy and healthy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I had a robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy two weeks ago. I am doing really great. I am still feeling some pressure when I sit. I attempted to venture out with my family and suffered major motion sickness. I was sent home with a patch behind my ear. I removed it after the third day.

Comment from: Dawn J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had a total hysterectomy on February 16. I was doing very well up until yesterday morning, I don't know what I did but since then I have a severe burning pulling sensation on my right side directly under my incision. The pain is so bad it brings me to tears, I cannot walk, yell, or stand up straight without it, when I lay flat I am fine.

Comment from: Olive, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had keyhole surgery 9 days ago. I feel sick a lot, and not fit for much. I get sharp pains in the tummy area.

Comment from: DebS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am now 3 weeks after a total vaginal hysterectomy and bladder mini arc sling put in. I am still spotting/bleeding a bit and stitches from external repair still itch but otherwise okay. Hopefully I'm going back to my desk job on Monday Aug 11.

Comment from: lynnk42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I had my total hysterectomy 6 days ago and for me it's a challenge to stay in my house not lifting or climbing stairs and let others do my housework because as a housewife and mom, nobody does it like me, move and lift things, put the correct things in the washer. And the pain… it's the worst! I can't stand to stay in bed or to sit down. Yes, I walk around the house and sometimes around my backyard just to get some fresh air. I'm still a bit bloated for all the air.

Comment from: TechnomamaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my vaginal hysterectomy one week ago. My uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes were removed. I was up and walking within 12 hours and pretty much pain free by day four. I feel good, but still feel a bit sore, no pain just tender. I am trying not to lift or over do, but that is subjective. Some tips: Drink 32 ounces of water each day for three days before and after surgery. It helps the recovery. You will need regular pads for several days. Eat lots of fiber, vegetables are great. I ate raw carrots, broccoli, raisins, etc. Eat small potions. Stay away from cheese it binds you up.

Comment from: TiredMum, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

Just a quick update. I felt loads better by week 6 and the bleeding stopped finally. I am walking fine, doing the same things I did before. Sex was fine too no problems week 7, and scar is a thin line. Only downfall is the menopausal symptoms due to the ovaries being removed. I would advise to keep those as long as possible to avoid the early change and long-term medication.

Comment from: belinda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I had hysterectomy done 2 months ago and I have one ovary left. My uterus was attached to my bowel which had caused issues. After finding out from friends to stop eating cabbage, lettuce and onions I am starting to feel human again. It is 3 hours of surgery and it takes longer than 6 weeks to recover.

Comment from: Im OK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

It is 4 and a half weeks since my vaginal hysterectomy and my left ovary was removed also. The doctor says to still take it easy and no baths yet, only shower. Nice to not bleed any more, as my symptoms were heavy bleeding to the point of anemia. Large fibroids and hyperplasia indicating pre-cancer were the deciding factors for the operation. It turns out, my uterus had a malignant tumor, stage 1, about the size of a golf ball. Anyway, I am feeling ok except a bit of constipation and cabin fever.

Comment from: AtlantaGal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My recovery time has been more like 3 months to be close to normal. I was told I would be back to "normal" 6 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. I could walk, cook, do very light house stuff and drive at 6 weeks, but not much else. My definition of normal is a very physically active though. I still have burning and weird sensations in my abdomen (at 3 months) which I have been told is probably nerves regenerating. When I have talked to others, their experience was similar.

Comment from: Md, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

Having hysterectomy was the worst pain I've ever had. No one tells you every move you make after surgery is painful. Hospital acts if it's no big deal. Nurses cannot be there to help you up or get your body into a comfortable position. The doctor was pushy with walking and sitting up, are you kidding me! Rethink ladies my surgery went on for 6 hours and my bleeding was hard to control. Good luck it's your choice.

Comment from: mwells70814, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had hysterectomy, had my uterus and tubes removed yesterday. My fibroid was the size of a 5 month old fetus. I'm in moderate pain. I have 4 incisions. I'm taking it easy.

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I'm still in the hospital after hysterectomy, day 2 and my only issue is that I still can't pee on my own.

Comment from: lilmama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had a partial hysterectomy on December 2, 2013 because my doctor refused to give me a full hysterectomy because I'm only 42 years old. It has been over six weeks I am still in pain, it feels like needles are sticking me in my privates, the cysts were removed off my ovaries but because of the pain another ultra sound was given and the cysts have now grown back. My legs are now swelling and my blood pressure has gone up to 188/108 as we speak. I feel like I still need a hysterectomy and I'm not sure it was better to have it.

Comment from: Mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am five weeks post vaginal hysterectomy and bladder repair. I continue to have serous drainage from the vagina.

Comment from: gill, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had my hysterectomy on a Thursday and have been released from hospital today (Sunday) morning. I had vaginal epidural surgery and I am having pain killers every eight hours but had no pain the first two days. I was unable to urinate once the catheter was taken away or pass motions. Then suddenly I was able, but had to had this awful gel in order to defecate. I was not pleased to discover I had an episiotomy and I don't know if my cervix was taken or not. I had the op for advanced uterine prolapse. generally I feel fine but a bit tired and without pain killer I would have persistent period type pains, but then its early days as yet.

Comment from: obeso585, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am five weeks into recovery from my hysterectomy and am still having trouble with walking and standing. My doctor ordered bed rest. I'm still having spotting. I'm not really able to do anything and get really tired.

Comment from: marcia d, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I had a full radical hysterectomy and I felt great within two weeks. I started swimming again and walking. I feel so much better than how I felt before with the enormous fibroids. It has been almost 20 years and I have never regretted doing this.

Comment from: Lorna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My Hysterectomy was Laparoscopic and vaginal. I kept my ovaries. By the 3rd day I walked in my garden and had to remind myself that I couldn't start pulling weeds yet. I was advised not to lift more than a gallon of milk and not too much of anything. It was like nothing had been done to me. I remarked to my husband that if I hadn't seen the incisions on my belly button and panty line area I wouldn't have believed that I had the surgery. I was very pleased. It's almost 8 years. Never had a problem.

Comment from: mom1984, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had the uterus and left vary removed by DA Vinci method. Although I have no pain (never have since surgery), I am exhausted. I feel like sleeping all day every day. I hope this is over in 6 weeks.

Comment from: sheila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I had hysterectomy surgery 5 months ago and I have a few problems, but all in all it was the best thing I ever did. I get a burning feeling just above my incision site. The night sweats and hot flashes are the worst.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Women's Health Newsletter