Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rosemary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a blood clot survivor. I was diagnosed with the blood clot after leaving the intensive care unit during delivery of my first born through cesarean section in a hospital from a poor reversal operation. I was put on a heparin drip for three months, later on warfarin for two years. My biggest worry is, I have no idea if the clot from my left leg is cleared since it led me to weakness with my nerves, speed decrease, fatigue, and hormonal imbalance.

Comment from: Leonie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

In late 2014 I had a vaginal surgery with rectocele and cystocele. Then in mid-2015 I fell backwards onto my tailbone on a concrete step. I had an x-ray which was clear of any fractures but I was told the area was bruised badly and it may take a while to heal. I find it hard to sit longer than 15 to 20 minutes without it getting too painful and I find myself sitting sideways on my hip for relief. I find it best to keep upright and active.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

Three years ago I realized that I have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). I am on levothyroxine ever since and it's helpful in fact. What concerns me is that mood swings do really affect me and the people around me.

Comment from: Rosemary, Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I was put on levothyroxine for hypothyroidism. Every joint in my body hurt since I started taking this medication. I did some research and told my doctor I'd like to try Levoxyl. What a difference that made. I no longer have the joint pain associated with taking levothyroxine.

Comment from: Mary66, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

At the age of 8, my hair was thin and I couldn't concentrate on my school work. I did poorly in school, but never understood why. My parents took me to a doctor, who said I was slow because of hypothyroidism. After taking thyroid (thyroxin) pills, I started to get better grades and feeling more alert in class. My parents couldn't afford to keep me on the medicine, so I went back to the previous condition. When I got married, I got a doctor who could help get me back on the thyroid pills and started feeling good at 23. I have these same symptoms as before at 30-40. It felt like every ten years, my body said 'increase, increase!' I too requested a bigger dose of medications, but was refused. Now, I take supplements, like iodine, with other vitamins. I can notice the difference whenever I stop taking the supplements. I am in my sixties now and feel like I'm in my forties. I'm taking supplements and eating seafood to keep the iodine level up. My daughter has these problems too. This condition is hereditary!

Comment from: Manu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I have hypothyroidism and been on levothyroxine for about a year. I still have no energy and am depressed. I do have a heart condition. I just want to feel better. I need my energy back. I have never been a person to get up from the bed to the couch and that is all I do. I hear about Armour and Levoxyl but don't know what to do.

Comment from: Noelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have had Hashimoto's disease (hypothyroid) for 9 years. Before being diagnosed I felt like death! I started out on Levoxyl 50 mcg. And eventually needed, over the course of time, up to 250 mcg. I felt a lot better, however, my symptoms did not go away, pain, fatigue, weight gain, brain fog, etc. After much research I decided to ask my doctor to put me on Armour thyroid. It made a huge difference! It eliminated most of my symptoms and the rest like joint pain is eliminated by diet. Go grain free, it helps tremendously. Armour has t3 & t4. Make sure your vitamin D is where it should be, most likely if you are hypothyroid it's not.

Comment from: roger 52, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

My thyroid was way over active and burned out in 1998. I had gone for months losing weight when I found it out, my eye doctor had told me and made my appointment for me. It was burned out and developed into hypothyroidism. The doctor I saw did nothing for a year, no medications or office visits. I put on almost a hundred pounds in that time. Then he started my Synthroid at .25 mcg; for the next year he bumped it up two times to .75, now I'm at .350 mcg and my life is awful. I wish I had tried controlling it instead of burning it out, I don't think there is any help for me. I have joint pain, hair loss, am crabby, moody, depressed, and now morbidly obese.

Comment from: puzgrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was 54 when I was told I had hypothyroidism. I knew something was up when my hair started to fall out. I was started on 25 mcg of Synthroid and it's been raised a couple of times. I am now just starting to take 100 mcg daily. Let's hope this works.

Comment from: nhlover54, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was on Synthroid for several years when first diagnosed with hypothyroidism with good results. Then I started feeling poorly again. I asked my doctor to change my prescription to Armour thyroid but he wouldn"t do it, stating "you TSH and direct T-4 are normal, so there is no need for intervention". I lived miserably like this for about 6 months, then asked my physician assistant I was seeing (in the same office, mind you) and he was very helpful and agreed to let me try the Armour thyroid. In a month"s time, I was feeling great and back to normal. That was 6 years ago. About 3 months ago my symptoms returned. I had moved last year and so I asked my new doctor if he would bump my dose up. He said "no, your TSH and direct T-4 are normal". After feeling badly these past 3 months, I switched doctors and have seen a nurse practitioner who agreed to bump up dose and to test my TSH, free T-3 and free T-4 (which you need to have checked, sometimes your body cannot convert the T-4 to T-3 so you aren"t getting any of the benefits of the medications). I feel great now, back to normal!

Comment from: angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and have been put on an iodine forte oral spray, 4 sprays on the tongue. I am not really feeling any different whilst taking this.

Comment from: Jaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After being diagnosed as having sub-clinical hypothyroidism for years, my endocrinologist (I"m also a type 1 diabetic) put me on Synthroid several months ago. The Synthroid had a devastating effect on my blood sugar - I could not bring down my glucose levels. I eventually had to stop taking the Synthroid - my blood sugar gradually returned to normal. Scary stuff!

Comment from: nolacs22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have been on levothyroxine 50mcg for 10 days, and I am feeling worse and worse every day! I"m wondering if this medication is helping my hypothyroidism at all, because I am feeling worse then before I started this medication.

Comment from: lalitha, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently started putting on weight and I thought it's because of menopause. Then I used feel lethargic and exhausted; used to sleep for hours together. I then consulted a medical doctor. I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, TSH levels are 9.1. I'm on medication Thyronorm 100mcg for the past 6 months, no change in my weight. I still feel lethargic and oversleep.

Comment from: lm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 51. I was treated in 2006 for hypothyroidism. I took the iodine treatment and was fine, my hair just started falling out but I'm never tired. My thyroid still works with 25ml. Sometimes I can't breathe, like a panic attack. I did gain weight but it helped me a lot, I still can't keep warm and then I'm never hungry but most of the time I feel great!

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I was born with Hypothyroidism. I was the first baby born in CA and I was studied by U.C. Davis in Sacramento. I have my blood tested every year. I am currently on Levothyroxin 112 mcg. I was on 137 mcg a couple months ago. The feeling of tiredness never goes away. I take my medicine as soon as I wake up in the morning. As long as I do, all is fine.

Comment from: Angelina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

In 2003 I lost 100 pounds in 3 months and had every symptom listed here. In 2007 I gained 70 pounds in less than 2 months and was FINALLY diagnosed. I was told that my thyroid gland was apparently destroyed and put on 175 mcgs of Levothyroxine. None of the symptoms ever went away. My energy level is still at zero. My blood levels are checked bimonthly and I'm told they are "in range". I have tried so hard to lose weight and have been steadily gaining at least 1 pound every appointment. Suddenly this month I've lost 10 pounds. I'm so confused.

Comment from: Leah, 19-24 Female Published: January 20

After the birth of my first child I had a low milk supply and simply felt like crap. I thought it could be baby blues. After 3 months I still felt the same; not able to sleep, irritable and cold. I had gained an extra 15 lbs while breastfeeding. I had all the usual symptoms; tiredness even after napping daily, irritable, angry at nothing, pains all over my body, my face was unrecognizable from the swelling, black bags under my eyes and my eyebrows were very faint. Finally when my child was 9 months old i went in for a check up. The blood test showed that I had hypothyroidism. I am on synthroid and after about 4 months of raising the dosage I was finally losing weight and my symptoms were gone. I lost 55 lbs in 3 months. This was most likely due to the fact that I didn't feel like eating junk anymore and I exercised twice daily. Although I still had an extra 15 lbs my body was holding onto. It was a lot of work but I now am pregnant again (normal and healthy) and on a steady dose of synthroid. I can look in the mirror and say I know the person; simply the best part of it all!

Comment from: Keshav, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My hypothyroid was discovered accidentally. I swooned one morning in a temple with cold sweat but recovered almost instantly. Later the doctor prescribed blood work and found the TSH to be 19 plus! Prior to this I was always feeling tired and despite a strict diet and fair amount of walking (I was 59 then) my weight remained constant. On some days I used to feel extremely uneasy for no reason at all. I thought it was my BP, but that was under control. I was put on thyronorm 100 mcg. to begin with. After about six years and at a dosage of 75 mcg life is normal. I have also reduced my weight by about 6 kg and feel lighter. The TSH is down to 4 - 5.

Comment from: greenie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed firstly with hyperthyroidism I lost a lot of weight, was extremely hot then extremely cold, I had high blood pressure just about every symptom related to hyperthyroidism. I was then advised to do radioactive treatment and was then diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have gained weight a lot and my eating habits did not changed skin dry hair loss, memory loss feeling unbalanced and severe muscle aches and pain this has happened over a period of four years and through all of this I have done blood tests been on eltroxin, sometimes I feel so down I want so much to go back to who I was before this and it just seems so impossible.

Comment from: She, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had hypothyroidism for about 19 years and been on levothyroxine.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have been on thyroid medication for many years. I started out on Synthroid and was put on Levoxyl and after several years put on Synthroid. I had no problem going back to Synthroid. Didn't notice any difference. I would rather be on Synthroid anyway.

Comment from: Tealover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Hey guys – is anyone else worried about the Levoxyl shortage? I'm being told that it isn't being produced anymore, or if it is, it's had a major recall. My endocrinologist has been talking to me about the Levoxyl interchangeability with Synthroid and Armour Thyroid. I'd like to know if anyone else had any experience with these. I just need a little guidance here, because I'm starting to freak out a little. I feel like I've finally got things under control again with Levoxyl, and I don't want to have to suffer anymore while my body adjusts to a new drug.

Comment from: felicity, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I now understand most of my symptoms. I have felt awful, constantly drained, unwell. I couldn't understand how other people have so much energy. Observing active people made me feel exhausted. Another symptom is feeling boiling hot, thirsty always drinking water. I pour with perspiration. Thought it was menopause but doctor says it's the thyroid problem.

Comment from: officer2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have had a thyroid disorder for 10 years now, and nothing seems to help. I am allergic to Synthroid. Levothyoxine does nothing to control the t3 but levels out the t4. Armor thyroid makes me gain weight, so I have chosen to use bioidentical therapy and this helps the t3 & t4; But still my levels go from high to low. I still loose my hair, my skin is dry, and I crave chocolate like crazy. I had the radioactive iodine pill not once but twice and the second time was a double dose. Still they say that my thyroid is still trying to function. I don't know what to do anymore. Sometime I just wish this never happened to me.

Comment from: YSingh, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism recently however the level of TSH Serum is at a staggering 179 IU/mL. Well just for reference, the normal level is between 0.4 - 4.00. I even got a second test just to confirm, but no luck there as well. Also, my lipid profile shows the cholesterol to be at the higher side. Now I would like to understand whether this condition is curable? I understand it's going to take time provided I follow the medicine regularly. Also, the level is too much on the higher side which makes me wonder if anyone else here in this forum has heard of such levels or known subjects which have been cured with similar levels.

Comment from: LuvBluSaphires, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I found out I had hypothyroidism when I was 43 years old. I was started on Levothyroxine. My symptoms never went away and they seem to just get worse. It was like I wasn't taking any medicine at all. The doctor I had said my levels were at the max that she could give. She wouldn't listen to what I had to say. When I moved to Kentucky the doctor I had listened to me. He changed my medication to Synthroid and now I don't have any symptoms. I still struggle with my weight and haven't found anything yet to help me lose weight. For those who don't see any change I would suggest you talk with your doctor and look at maybe changing your medication.

Comment from: kristaleyezd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I am 33 and have been taking levothyroxine 25mcg for about 6 years now, about 1 year after having my third child. I was experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism recently, (hair loss, difficulty with memory, and put on 20 pounds in less than two months). I went to my doctor to be tested and my hormone levels were low. So he put me on 50mcg of the levothyroxine. We currently don't have insurance, so paying for lab fee's and doctor's visits wasn't exactly within out budget. I've lost about 10 pounds since starting the new dosage, but I still feel exhausted all the time. I also have ADHD and depression, so it's difficult to pinpoint which area is causing the problem. I feel like my depression and ADHD are under control and that I need to be put on a higher dosage of the levothyroxine so that I can feel like my normal, energetic self. I am constantly getting anywhere from 10-12 hours of sleep and still feeling tired.

Comment from: Deepika, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had an accident 4 years back and I lost lots of blood. That was winter time and I had to take strong antibiotic to dry up my stitches. Due to those medications reaction, I got hypothyroidism. But that was my initial stage, so it's under control. I am Taking 62.5mcg and doing exercise 3 to 4 times a week.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I have been on the brand name Synthroid for 7 years and all was fine. New internist renewed my prescription and checked off the generic. Over the past year, I have had many symptoms of low thyroid level return. Just got back on the brand name and symptoms are going away. Beware the generic version of the drug!

Comment from: laceybby19, 19-24 Female Published: July 20

I am 19 and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a month and a half ago. I'm taking levothyroxine and some days I feel good but other days I can't seem to find the strength to get out of bed. So hopefully the meds just take some time.

Comment from: wsc99, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I was treated for hypothyroidism when I was 41 with levothyroxine. After a year I begain to see a difference. I was not as tired all the time, fewer aches and pains, thinking clearer. However, my hair is still thinning, nails thin and brittle, still feel unusually tired some days, thinking still fuzzy too often. I asked my doctor if Armor would be better for me. He immediately shot that down. I am not sure if synthetic drugs are best for me. Thinking about seeing an endocrinologist. Not sure what to do.

Comment from: Male Published: May 24

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroid on the day he was born. He is 8 years old now. The doctor who delivers him said he is usually taking test of hypothyroid from the placenta blood during delivery. My son is healthy coping well and normal and is on electroxin tablets since he was born. I am taking him for blood test once a year and until now they are normal.

Comment from: erika, 35-44 Female Published: March 04

I am currently a 40 year old female and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism just over two years ago, but had been suffering from many of the symptoms described on this site for some time. My doctor prescribed low dose (lowest dose actually) Synthroid. I am actually seeing him in a few days as many of my symptoms keep persisiting to this day, causing me to miss work far too much. I will ask him about this and see if there are any other medications he could prescribe, or just up the Synthroid dosage. Hopefully it will help.

Comment from: harbherbert, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am a 46 year old woman and was diagnosed with a pituitary microadenoma in 1991 and with rheumatoid arthritis in 2007. I see doctors quite regularly so when my menstrual cycle started going out of whack [missed periods and extremely long and heavy periods} I figured it was menopause sneaking up on me. I see a gynecologist, an endocrinologist and a rheumatologist. The blurred vision could be the medication I take for the adenoma, the fatigue, swollen ankles, sleepiness, lack of energy and inability to lose weight in addition to constipation could be symptoms of RA or side effects of the meds I take. Who knows my cholesterol problems could be a cause of my inactive thyroid and I just can't believe no one ever checked my thyroid hormones or at least never put 2 and 2 together until 4 days ago. I started treatment 3 days ago so I'm praying it might just ease some of the things I thought was something else.

Comment from: sumaiya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Thyroxine tablet every day on an empty stomach and proper diet.

Comment from: 2011, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Yes very true with thyroxine medication I too gained my happy life back but again I did not get my monthly period on the same date as was getting before i.e exactly same date or 1 or 2 days before or after.

Comment from: sylwiabb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 month ago, I had a test about 1 year ago and all my thyroid levels were fine. First I was diagnosed with tos ( thoresik outlet syndrome) I had surgery to remove my first rib after the surgery I was not getting better. I still had fluids in my legs I could feel the water just collecting in my body the doc than diagnosed me with diabetes and 4 months ago with hypothyroidism. I had my med s increased 3 times already they work at first and then my body adjusts to it. I'm getting ready to up my meds for the 4th time. I'm still tired, moody, in pain my skin is do dry around my heels and feet and I have big cracks that are painful.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 52 year old female and have been under treatment for hypothyroidism since 1994. Recently I went for a checkup and my TSH is high. My dose of Elthroxin has been increased from 100mcg to 200mcg. My lipid profile tests are also above normal levels. I suffer from body aches, lethargy, irritability, and excessive perspiration.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have been given to start 100mcg of thyroxine. I have not tolerated this well, although response was great. Lowered to 50mcg and felt fairly well. My most recent visit I was increased to 78mcg. I did not sleep for the three days that I took it. I wound up in emergency with chest pains, chest heaviness and tightness. Intolerance to heat, more BM's, jitteriness, and overwhelmed that my doctor had done this. I was told I was having an anxiety attack or panic attack!

Comment from: MedicineNet, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I had my thyroid removed 6mths ago my doctor wants to run test for Hypothyroidism, how is this possible without a thyroid.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter