Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Needhelp, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I'm having hypothyroidism, and my doctor lowered my medicines. Now I am having dizzy spells, weight gain, cramps and constipation. I am so disappointed that doctors do not listen. I have been on this dose for 10 years with no problems. So upset now I don't have a life, struggling just to get out of bed. Up for one hour and I want to sleep all day. You can do that when you are dead. Why can't a doctor listen! I don't care about these tests. They don't work for my symptoms. If you don't have a life just better to be dead. If I didn't have a disabled child to take care of I would just rather be dead. I hate to even talk to the doctors anymore. My medicines need to be back like they were, this is not working. Why change something when it is working!

Comment from: sassyred59, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I was seeing a doctor who treated my hypothyroid symptoms rather than going by blood levels. When I moved to another city and got a new doctor, she went by blood levels only and lowered my medicine from 100 mg to 25 mg and now all my symptoms are returning; weight gain, severe heat intolerance, sweating a lot, dizzy spells, confusion, extreme fatigue, and muscle cramps in my legs and feet. I have theses blackouts that only happen occasionally when weather is hot. But my doctor refuses to believe it is my thyroid because my blood levels are in normal range. She keeps telling me it is either my heart or COPD because blackouts are not symptom of thyroid. I am trying to find a new doctor.

Comment from: hotrod, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for the past 15 to 20 years. Symptoms include excessive weight gain, low energy, nonexistent libido, brittle nails, dry skin, tired all the time, anemia, insomnia, aches and pains, and depression. Instead of being cold, I am always hot. Sometimes I can't sleep because my feet are so hot so I have to go stand in a snow bank or cold water in the tub. I have tried watching what I eat and do lots of exercise, but really struggle to lose weight. In the past 4 years my TSH has been anywhere between .05 and 14.32. Ferritin runs between 46 and 86. I am desperate for help to help me feel better.

Comment from: JJKSOTON, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have been told I have sub clinical hypothyroidism. I am on 25 mg of levothyroxine, but the dizzy spells are awful, some last 5 minutes, up to all day. My levels when first tested were 400 instead of 75. When the dizzy spell starts I need to use the toilet urgently. I am not sure how long I am supposed to be sub clinical. I do have a great doctor but she not an expert on thyroid issue.

Comment from: Kavitha M., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I got this hypothyroidism at the time of pregnancy. Later it got aborted. I feel very low by the end of the day and experience body pains, mainly my legs above ankles. I even have constipation, hair loss, fatigue, insomnia, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted. I feel very dull at times without any reason. I was never like this before. I used to be always very enthusiastic. I am unable to be normal at work even. I take thyroxin 25 mg and tests show normal.

Comment from: Bertab, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I remember feeling really run down at the end of the day. It was hard to follow through at work. I had definite brain fog! The two strongest symptoms for my hypothyroidism were a severe aching in my bones and unbelievable constipation. When I went in for treatment of the latter, the nurse practitioner did blood work. I was definitely hypothyroid, and looking back in my records, the bloodwork numbers showed I had been that way for years. It took my insistence for the follow up and a nurse practitioner (female) to make the connection. None of my male physicians caught the problem. Make sure you are heard. You know your body better than anyone else. Synthroid is doing the job and I feel so much better. And yes, I still love my doctor, I just make my concerns very clear and it helps him help me.

Comment from: BrettC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My hypothyroid symptoms are chronic fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, swelling in throat, snoring, back ache, sides ache, dizziness, depression and anxiety, low white cell count, occasional arrhythmia, vitamin B deficiency, iron deficiency, occasionally inability to pay attention, memory loss, irritability, impatience and I am easily exhausted.

Comment from: Kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

My initial symptoms of hypothyroidism included depression, itchy skin and really itchy scalp. This worsened and severe muscle pains added to it (misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia and arthritis). I went to a doctor who diagnosed it as Hashimoto's but would not start therapy because the T4 levels were right on the border in the normal range (+3). At that time I was begging for some help. I started getting brain fog, losing large gaps in time, and finally I started stuttering (I had never stuttered before in my life). My memory got to the point that I thought I must have early stage Alzheimer's. I finally went to a doctor who was willing to treat the Hashimoto's with Synthroid. The symptoms got better almost immediately. I am now on 100 mg of Synthroid daily. I still have vision problems and some depression but the pain, memory and brain problem have improved greatly.

Comment from: mamafs214, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was 18 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I gained about 50 lb., felt extremely exhausted all the time, very dizzy, and my hair was falling out. I went to the doctor and was told I had hypothyroidism, and have been on levothyroxine since. My hands are always freezing, and I often feel dizzy still, and have very bad anxiety still. But I can't seem to gain weight now.

Comment from: jlady2780, Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have TSH of 0.109 and with hypothyroidism. I'm losing my hair, dealing with depression and memory and focus loss.

Comment from: howiegirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at the age of 26 after years of having the usual symptoms of depression and brain fog especially. I'm 42 years young now, but for the past year, I cannot stop putting on weight. My endocrinologist found I had an insensitivity to generic levothyroxine where my body wasn't processing it at all and my thyroid levels were a mess, and I switched to brand specific about seven months ago. After three months, my thyroid levels are heading back to the normal range of where they used to be (TSH of almost zero). Still, the weight goes up and up, despite eating very healthy (no processed foods or refined sugar). My endocrinologist just tells me to eat healthy and exercise, but it's not working. I have gained weight rather than lost. I am not sure what to do. I'm reaching the scales at 160 lb. at 5'3'', when I was at 130 lb. before my weight gain.

Comment from: poonsoo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

At 37, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My symptoms were extreme fatigue, very slow metabolism to the point that I would stop breathing while sleeping, hair loss on my head and legs, weight gain, and dry skin, but unlike others, also heat intolerance. I went to see a doctor because I stopped breathing while sleeping and would fall asleep during the day. I have been on medication for over 11 years now. Lately, I have been getting new symptoms (i.e., hot flashes around my ears, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, one eyelid drooping, and head tension headaches).

Comment from: Jimmy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I had done the blood test last week. I found that my T3 is low but T4 and TSH are normal. I have some symptoms of hypothyroidism like fatigue, hair loss, problem in sleeping, and dry skin. Also I have one strange problem, bad body odor. My body smell very bad, anybody can smell it from a distance. It happens even just after I take a bath.

Comment from: Noelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had every symptom for hypothyroidism I think! Fatigue, weight gain for no reason, unable to lose weight, pain, joint pain, brain fog, memory loss, dry skin, hair loss, brittle nails, dental problems; the list goes on. There are actually over 300 possible symptoms to hypothyroidism. I have Hashimoto's, so because it's autoimmune I now have to watch my diet closely. I started on Levoxyl and took it for 9 years, then made the switch to Armour thyroid. It treated my symptoms, where the synthetic medications seem to only treat TSH for many of us.

Comment from: Nurdreamshm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid at 29 years of age. I gained 125 lb. over a year trying to find out why I was getting fat. I was put on 50 mcg Synthroid. I had normal TSH levels but kept gaining weight. My dose was put all the way up to 150 mcg but I continued to gain. I was on an 1100 calorie diet and had to exercise for no less than 3 hours a day, but I kept gaining. My endocrinologist swore I was lying in my food journal. I was still cold all the time, nails peeling and cracking, lizard skin and missing my periods altogether. Now I"m almost 300 lb. I went to a new doctor. I was put on Armour Thyroid, and lost 60 lb. without exercising. Most of my problems were gone. My skin never got back to being silky like before thyroid issues, but my period was back to normal, I lost weight and overall felt better. From my experience all Endocrinologist believe that Synthroid is the cure all. It is not.

Comment from: Gabby, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was 29 when all of a sudden I started gaining a lot of weight, my hair was falling out like crazy, but since I have a lot of it, I wasn"t really concerned. My skin was very, very dry, I was so very cold, more and more and I was so sleepy and tired all the time, which was unusual for me because, on the contrary, I had always experimented trouble falling asleep and would sleep less than the average person. My prolactin levels were high and the general opinion was that I probably had an abscess in my brain (what!). So, luckily for me, the doctor I was supposed to see was not there that day and a well-seasoned internal medicine doctor saw me. In five minutes he asked me all the questions pertaining to symptoms of hypothyroidism and I had them all. He ordered tests and sure enough, my thyroid was so out of whack. A couple of years had gone by before anyone could tell me what was wrong. I kept looking at the symptoms isolated from one another, finding a reasonable cause for each one.

Comment from: kelly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 23 and have hypothyroidism. Even though I am on levothyroxine 50mcg and my blood test shows, on this medication, I am now in the normal range I still feel so exhausted all the time. I get migraines, hot flushes, dizzy spells, Joint pain, irritability, mood changes, anxiety and most days I can"t even get out of bed. I"m fed up. I am trying to do a degree and it feels impossible as I am so tired and unmotivated all the time. My last job I lost due to too many sick days and I feel more like I'm 80 than 23. The doctors are not very helpful or understanding and I don"t know where to turn. I feel so weak.

Comment from: AlainaB, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed at 20 with hypothyroidism. My main concern was weight gain. I always weighed 125 in high school and suddenly I weighed 140. I suspected there was something wrong because even though I drastically changed my diet and upped my workouts, I could not lose the weight. I also had difficulty concentrating and was always tired. My doctor did not want to test me. I am in nursing school so many of my symptoms could be caused by that (which is what my doctor thought). Being a nursing student, I persisted and wanted to be checked anyways. In 2012 my TSH was 1.4, in the spring of 2013 when I was diagnosed my TSH was 5.3 and I was put on 50mcg of Levothyroxine. In Oct 2013 my TSH was 5.7 so my medicines were bumped up to 75mcg. In Jan 2014 my TSH was 6.0 and so my medicines were changed to 100mcg. It has been almost a year now and I have still gained weight, feel extremely fatigued, can't concentrate worth anything, have had an annoying rash/crazy bad dry skin for 5 months, and now my hair is thinning. I hope they can figure this out soon!

Comment from: momhasquestions, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My son has hypothyroidism. He is 23 and has had it for 10 years or so. He was diagnosed when he was 15; however he had symptoms long before. He's been experiencing tongue issues for some time. His throat hurts to touch and his tongue is getting more white and numb. Food is losing its taste. He is taking Synthroid for medications.

Comment from: jj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 21. I am 54 now. I started feeling "a little tired" back then and a doctor put me on Synthroid. It helped me for many years. When I was 36, I started having severe joint pain, rashes on my face, severe fatigue, hair loss, etc. I was diagnosed with lupus. A doctor put me on steroids. I had always been thin and had lots of energy. I gained 60 lbs. in 3 months! I started going downhill after that. Now I have diabetes, depression, osteoarthritis, and there is no tissue left between my joints! I have had elbow surgery and on December 5th, I will have total knee replacements in both knees! None of the doctors can keep my thyroid or sugar levels on track! I can barely walk and I am so sluggish, I don't even want to wake up in the morning. I've never been able to lose any weight which adds to the depression! This is not a "pity party". I just want people out there to know when your body starts to feel like something is wrong, it is! My health problems have some of the same symptoms, so the doctors don't even know which one is causing my problems! I'm just overwhelmed and disgusted.

Comment from: Marie81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

Hello all. I read up on this stuff all the time. I'm 32. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid at age 16! They put me on medications but insurance was not available for me. I quit taking the medications at 18. I was the person who was never tired not even at bedtime. Woke up just fine every morning. I could get everything done I needed in one day. I often cleaned my home top to bottom in one day. Man the energy I had. I was always hungry I ate insane amounts of food! Never gained or lost a pound. I got real sick during my pregnancy at age 24. I was a crazy person. Ran off, cried every time I saw my doctor. I was a mess. They tested me and there was not a lot they could do because I was a mess. And my levels were normal! But my neck was big! One night I started having crazy feelings. I could not get my heart to slow down. I was fainting. I went to the ER and my resting pulse was 120. I was having a storm. They tested my levels and did not find anything! I had an appointment the next day with an endocrinologist. They set me up with lab. I drank this liquid and went under a machine to get an accurate thyroid count. It was crazy! The doctor was astonished when the result came back that one of my levels was over 1000< he called it a thyroxin storm. He said it's deadly. Within that week I was having radioactive iodine to dissolve my glands. (My diagnosis was graves' disease) I left my family ten days. I came home and waited. Hey said they would not I've me my meds till I ran out of hormones in my body (crash). Took three months but it happened crazy! One day I woke up and could not get out of bed. My body was so tired. I barely could walk. I stumbled my speech and was exhausted. I went to doctor. Put me on oral steroids and high dose hormones in my case then lowered to level. Bad thing was my appetite was still the same. But my body was not! I have suffered all these years with hair loss, weight gain, mood swings, crazy bouts if sex drive issues, periods all over the board. I have the above and major leg cramps, body aches, ingrown hairs, facial hair, increased testosterone, feet swelling, feet sweating, tired spells, frequent yawning. And more. Not sure what was better hyper or hypo. the meds make a huge difference in how bad the symptoms are. These symptoms are always here. However tasking the pills just for a week change things some. I've been on medications for years occasionally I'm broke and skip a month and it shows to me and all around me. There is only way to lose weight with hypothyroid. My endocrinologist put me on a diet for hypoglycemic. 6 to 10 small meals or snacks all day. No pop or caffeine. Cut the salt. Salt free crackers with tuna. Exercise 30 minutes a day everyday (must sweat and increase heart rate) it works I lost 35lbs in 30 days! However with my condition I had no motivation and was tired it did not last long. I felt great and quit and now I'm up and extra 50 lbs. It's hard stay dedicated and have positive people around to help. No one around me understands or attempts to. Do not take anything with your medications. It jacks it all up! Set an alarm just for your medications. Make sure it's 45 to 1 hour before breakfast and coffee. The pill has to get in your system. Most all foods have iron and other things that will force some of your meds out. Coffee will make it go instant! Only water and that pill everything else after 1 hour. It's hard but a must. Your doctor could be over prescribing you if you are taking medications then drinking coffee or pop. Because your body is slowed down and needs the time to absorb it alone. Ok I'm done preaching. Just listen to the doctor.

Published: November 07

I have experienced many symptoms for a number of years. In fact, I was treated for depression instead of hypothyroidism for several years. At times, I thought I was "losing my mind" it was so severe. My symptoms included: confusion, inability to think clearly, total lack of energy, exhaustion, loss of interest in "everything," aches and pains (mainly in my legs/ankles/feet), and gained 35 pounds despite a lack of appetite. This has been a long struggle for me with problems at home and work (to be expected when I cannot think clearly). However, things are improving now -- there is hope!

Comment from: nancy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I am a married woman and suffering from hypothyroidism since the age of 25 years and taking the tablets thyroxine sodium tablets (100 mcg), daily one tablet. Recently I did my test and in that my T4 level is more than normal range. I feel sleepy whenever I take tablet of thyroxine and nowadays I am feeling sleepy, tired, my weight is 67 kg and height 5.4 inches. I have memory loss also like in studies and some other things.

Comment from: Beck05, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2009. Now, I am experiencing thinning and hair loss, skin dryness, scalp and body itching. I am very concerned my thyroid is not being treated properly. I take Synthroid (75 mcg), and Cytomel (5 mcg.). I was also diagnosed last year with metabolic syndrome, and pre-diabetes.

Comment from: debs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had my right thyroid out 6 years ago and since then I have gained weight. I am having daily headaches, sore shoulders, always cold even in summer and so depressed I can't think straight. Doctors do blood tests and say thyroid is fine, I've been given antidepressants and sent away but I don't want antidepressants. I just want to get my life back, not be tired, fat, depressed, moody and sore.

Comment from: Tanner, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I am nurse and I also have a low thyroid. One of the symptoms of hypothyroidism can be depression. You may need an antidepressant; I did. I put it off for so long and now that I have relief, I wonder why I waited so long. Something to explore with your doctor anyway.

Comment from: quincy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have hoarseness, pain and stiffness, no tolerating the cold, depressed and somewhat tired. I have constant dry feet, fingers, lips and eyes.

Published: July 09

I am a female 44 yrs old - for the last 3 years I have suffered a progression of symptoms from hair loss, dry skin, fatigue, dizziness, constipation, erratic heavy periods, muscle aches & pains, foggy head, memory failure etc.etc. I have seen endless doctors & specialists - mainly at my own expense - because I would not accept their diagnosis that I was depressed or it was simply my age! My thyroid blood tests are all within the normal range - I contacted Thyroid UK and diagnosed myself as hypothyroid from the info on their website. I finally saw a Dr he diagnosed me from all of my symptoms - many people are hypo even though the blood tests are "within the normal range". Don't waste time doubting yourself - if your GP doesn't believe you find a doctor who works outside the ridiculous NHS restrictions and get treatment. It is estimated that about 1 million people are hypo but undiagnosed/refused treatment by the NHS because they treat the blood tests as gospel. I have been taking thyroxine since April and slowly my life is returning - I still have a long way to go but at least I am on the right track now. Don't accept what the doctors tell you if you know better - there is hope.

Published: June 26

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism yesterday. I was excited. As weird as that sounds, I had struggled for so long with so many of the symptoms: swollen legs, hairloss, fatigue, my mind slipping, my sporadic periods, being cold then hot and severe muscle cramps. It was my sever muscle cramps that actually scared me just last week to the point they made me go to the doctor to get the blood work. I had made an excuse for everything: old age. I just turned 50 and now is the time for the body to go! I'm so excited to get myself back! I started on the medication this morning.

Published: June 25

I am a 49-year-old female. I always knew I had a family history of hypothyroidism (my father, his two sister as well as their mother were all diagnosed in their late forties to early fifties) but I didn't have health insurance so hadn't been to see my physician for an exam for over eight years. However, I didn't know there were symptoms for which I should have been vigilant. I started becoming increasingly constipated over the last two to three years. I also began to become increasingly less tolerant of cold. My periods became erratic then quit all together. I slowly began to gain weight (over two years about 20 pounds). I began to feel more and more "bloated" with no appetite. I became increasingly depressed and mentally "fuzzy," forgetting things and just not feeling like myself in terms of mental acuity. I was able to see my physician three weeks ago. I didn't think to mention ANY of these symptoms because I had pretty much justified all of them in my mind, making the assumption they were all "natural" lifecycle changes. My physician took blood work including TSH level, and he put me on levothyroxine three weeks ago. I am starting to feel more like my old self, though I am still working on building up my energy reserve. I just started my period yesterday, which my physician said was due to getting my thyroid level back in the "normal" range.

Comment from: s thanvi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am suffering from hypothyroid since last 3 years and diabetes from last 2 months. I do exercise but unable to lose weight. I am taking thyroxin at the same time my TSH and T4 are under control.

Comment from: MJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

After three years of hell, two miscarriages, fatigue hairless, headaches, sleeping all the time, I have finally been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Funny to hear the doctor say on many occasions that I was depressed. I wasn't depressed just frustrated with the decrease in my energy and ability to do the normal day things.

Comment from: queeniebunn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a partial thyroidectomy after having a lump-type feeling which, caused me sleep problems during the night. Nodules were found on the thyroid so a specialist thought it best to remove half of it. During the initial scan, a tumor was also picked up in the salivary gland. I suffered two very bad infections of the wound which had to be treated. A number of weeks later, whilst at work, my face began to droop and my eye seemed strange and looked as though I was having a stroke. I also had real stabbing pains inside one ear. I was diagnosed with shingles of the inner ear and Bell's Palsy My eyes had to be taped closed as they were constantly open so they dried out. It has been trial and error adjusting the Levothyroxine and I currently take 100 mcg a day. My doctor informs me I am now within proper levels, although I still feel weepy, fog- brained and lethargic and have put on two stones in weight.

Comment from: ctisdellfam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I have had four kids. My energy was so high through the first three. My youngest is now two. After my last child was born I started to experience horrible "side effects". For a year and a half I have watched my hair in patches, lack any sort of energy, have no desire to do anything but lay in bed. I have gained 50 pounds even though I was working out and eating fairly healthy. I just thought I wasn't aging gracefully. I got tested yesterday and feel like this would make sense. I hope all works out.

Comment from: Patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am struggling with weight loss even though I have cut out sugars and fast carbs. I have been working out for a year; however, I can not lose weight and keep it off. My weight loss keeps fluctuating between two to five pounds. I have been losing hair. I have tingling in my fingers and hands, more at bedtime than at any other time. The skin on my feet is so dry that it snags on my panty hose and causes runs. My cholesterol is staying even though I am on meds. I finally shared this with my doctor. We did the lab work, and the diagnosis is low functioning thyroid.

Comment from: Janice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

When I was 29 I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I had gone a full year with many symptoms before I sought help. My mother was deathly ill and needed me so I chose to put my needs aside. When she passed I sought medical help. The first Doctor I went to told me that it was all in my head and that I was depressed and would not send me for tests because it would confirm to me that I was sick when I wasn't. I left this doctor's office in tears and thought maybe just maybe I actually was depressed yet I did not feel depressed. After about 1 month I decided to go to an other doctor and told him what had happened and he said that he would send me for tests unlike that other Quack. The test showed that my thyroid was hardly functioning. Doctors are not Gods, you can seek a second and even a third opinion. My symptoms were; Fatigue, lose of appetite, excessive weight gain, darkening over the eyes as if I was wearing eye shadow, thinning of my hair every where on the body, my thought process became a little sluggish, dry patches of skin on my face, darkening of the skin in the region of the armpits. Lets just say I had all the symptoms. I should have consulted a medical professional earlier than I did because in one year I gained approximately 80 lbs. Ever since it has been an on going battle with my weight. I can only hope that my story could help someone to not have to go through what I've been through. (A little nightmare)

Comment from: Jess101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. But in the past year my levels were going up slowly. I started having lots of swelling in my left leg, feeling very tired after getting enough sleep, very heavy and frequent menstrual periods, and no energy. I went back to my doctor and he checked my TSH levels – they were getting higher. So he put me on Synthroid. I have been on it a month and I don't feel any changes. I am still tired, lack energy, have swelling in my leg, and am sweating more than usual. What else might help me?

Comment from: aziztoall, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

For the past few months, I've been feeling lazy and have been sleeping excessively. Apart from this, I also have muscle cramps on my left leg regularly. I have also gained a considerable amount of weight. My parents suggested that I go for a thyroid test. My level is 4.8 on the scale, which can be considered borderline. I'm not sure what to do now.

Comment from: sayalee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with sub-clinical hypothyroidism at the age of 10, but I didn't start on medicine until the age of 18. I took very it sincerely at the beginning, but it didn't help out. Now I take thyroxine sodium, 50mcg per day. I feel very sleepy and my weight is still increasing.

Comment from: Paulette, 55-64 Female Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in the early 90s. I was told I had Grave's disease with an apple sized goiter in my neck. All the hyper symptoms were there. I had the goiter removed and have plumped out from 110 pounds to a whopping 172! I have been told I am still hyper; but do not have the other symptoms.

Comment from: norainne, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I have been taking levothyroxine for six months now and I never ever lost any weight at all. Other people I know lose weight quite easily once they have the dose right. I take 100 mg every day and I get heart palpitations.

Published: July 09

I had no idea I had hypothyroidism until I had my yearly physical. I felt sleepy all day. Had weight gain and was depressed and moody. I was so tired that when I got up all I could think about was going back to bed. I also had low blood pressure. I have started taking a medication just two weeks ago. I hope this helps someone.

Published: July 08

I had weight gain, falling asleep during the day, extreme tiredness, very dry skin and brittle fingernails. I also had a very slow heart beat and a body temperature of around 96.

Published: July 08

I am a 35 year old male, and I suffered from almost all these symptoms people have had. I have a family history of hypothyroidism also. The aches were bad and so was the depression, loss of sex drive, and vertigo coupled with anxiety attacks. At times I felt like there was a "weight" holding me down. I couldn't exercise much, slept for 12 hours at a time. I had a blood test done finally and I was diagnosed. I'm happy to say I feel like I'm a teenager again, depression lifted, sex drive back , and lots of energy.. I feel more alive than ever. Get a test if you have these symptoms listed here. Your life can change like mine did. Thanks.

Published: July 07

I'm 21 years old. After my father passed away two years ago I gained 50 pounds without eating. My doctor thought it was severe depression and I believed it as I have been clinically depressed since I hit my teens. After repeatedly getting sick and dizzy and fainting more recently I had blood tests for diabetes and hypoglycemia. As a supplementary test he also did thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid! I have been on the medication for about a month now I am not noticing a change. My weight went up another 10 pounds despite diet and exercise that had helped me lose 30 pounds. I am not permitted to have caffeine while on this medication because of my already increased heart rate so I am very tired and my mood is just awful. Can anyone offer me advice?

Published: July 07

I was just diagnosed yesterday with hypothyroidism and the relief is amazing. The symptoms I have are feeling weepy all the time, fatigue, memory and concentration levels at an all time low and my skin is appalling dry and rough. I have high blood pressure and it was by a change of doctor and her giving me a full blood test to see how my hypertension was doing that it was detected. I can't even begin to explain how much better I feel knowing what the problems are caused by and that it's going to be a bit of a long road to make things better. It doesn't matter; point is it is being tackled.

Published: July 07

I have hypothyroidism due to the radioactive iodine I took when I was 20. I'm now 42 and have been taking Synthroid for years, but I still struggle with many of the symptoms of hypothyroidism: depression, fatigue, dry skin/hair, etc.

Published: July 02

I am a 45 yr old female. I have steadily put on a stone in weight, I have been so dizzy I felt sick, muscle cramps, painful joints, numbness in my arms and legs and a fuzzy head also very forgetful. I felt so ill it was scary! My doctor tried to tell me I was depressed as I have had depression before. I hope this helps other people as I started to think I was going mad! Finally, I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Published: June 25

I am 17 years old now, and I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 13. Back then, I used to look like a third-grader student lost in a bunch of second-year high school students. Everyone made fun of me. Our pediatrician suggested an endocrinologist. He found out that I have hypothyroidism. He suggested me to another doctor and that doctor suggested me to my current endocrinologist. All of them prescribed me a hormone tablet that I take an hour before breakfast. It really is effective.

Published: June 19

I had fertility treatment in order to have my children. In my pregnancy I developed gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes and low platelets). I also suffered a stroke and two cardiac arrests while pregnant. That was 9 years ago now. I am 38 and have been suffering with MANY of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I was checked by a neuro psych for my confusion, by a diet doc for my weight gain and by numerous others for adrenal and pituitary gland problems. All came back normal. My sister has been going through similar problems. Gritty eyes, tired, dark bags under eyes and swollen joints. I could go on. Her doctor did a blood test and it came back normal. However, due to her abnormal clinical presentation he put her on thyroxine a month ago and she is back to her old self! I would love to try the same. I dont know what to say to my doctor. She thinks I am over eating and just not telling her. I was put on a drug to stop me absorbing a third of the fat I eat but nothing happened. I told her it wouldnt work because I am on a vertually fat free diet. Now she wants me to go to another dietician. I have a Bsc and used to be a chef. I can do the maths. I am not putting too much in, it is just that my body is not using it up. Besides which my 30lb weight gain is not the only symptom I need help with. I intend to make another appointment and go in armed with some newly downloaded info. Wish me luck. X

Published: June 19

I am 18 years old and I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism just a few days ago. It has been a long process in diagnosing this problem. For the past couple of years I have been feeling increasingly tired. This year it really has become bad. In the winter I started to develop hives every time I went outside into the cold. Eventually I went an allergist about it where he diagnosed me with Cold-Induced Urticaria (an allergy to the cold). I have also been having seizures, some of which were at school. I have had many other symptoms as well. I have become very forgetful. Often times there is just a haze that just comes over me and I feel so confused. I will often forget the names of common things or words I once knew well. Once I even forgot what a fork was called... pretty sad I know. I have also at times experienced periods of insomnia. I have also been severely depressed for awhile now, oftentimes having many cyclic ups and downs. I have also been experiencing a gradual loss of concentration. I got blood test results back from my allergist who informed me that antibodies were attacking my thyroid. I informed my neurologist (for the seizures) of this and he ordered further testing for my thyroid. Those test results were faxed to my endocrinologist who then diagnosed me with Hashimoto' s Thyroiditis that caused Hypothyroidism. He has started me on hormone therapy with Levothyroxine. Hopefully this will help many of my symptoms. I am hoping to have my energy back by the fall when I begin university, because this last semester of High School has been awful. My doctor also told me that the hypothyroidism is not related to my seizures, so I still have no clue as to why I am having seizures. My MRI, EEG and CT Scan all came back clear, so I may never know. I am however on 600 mg a day of Carbamazepine. I was on Clobazam, but I had a seizure while I was on it, so I was switched to a high dose of the other medicine. I have looked at the symptoms of Major Depression, and most definitely have been experiencing most, if not all of them. I am hoping this has been caused by the hypothyroidism and will go away once the hormones begin working. I have encountered some pretty arrogant doctors that show absolutely no compassion despite the enormous amount of sudden health concerns I have had to deal with all at once this year. My advice is to hold your ground, be firm, and to go with your gut. Doctors don't know everything; they just like to think they do. If you think something is wrong, go with your instincts and be firm.

Published: June 19

I had a very generalized fatigue for about six months. After 2 months, I did go to the doctor and had my thyroid levels checked. They were in the low-normal range. After 6 months, fatigue worsened and I had some other unrelated event that caused me to see a doctor. She wasn't concerned about my thyroid per se, but took the levels again just to be sure. Before getting the blood test results back, I realized I had been suffering from being cold for several weeks--unable to get warm no matter what I did. When I called to tell my doctor that, she confirmed the blood test had shown a significant drop in thyroid hormone since my first visit 4 months ago. With medication, I was feeling better within 2 weeks!

Published: June 17

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today when I received the results of a blood test run for a physical. The main symptom was fatigue. I would turn into a pumpkin and sleep on Sundays for three hours or more in the afternoon. I would need afternoon naps. I wondered why I needed so much sleep. I am a 58-year-old female. The fatigue has been going on for about a year. I am slender, and I had sensitivity to cold also.

Published: June 17

Two of the major symptoms I experienced when I developed hypothyroidism were extreme insomnia, as well as major anxiety attacks. I was also cold all the time, my skin was dry, my hair started to thin out, and I was extremely tired all the time. Aching muscles and bones were also part of my symptoms.

Published: June 16

I am a 38 years female with all the symptoms listed and a known hypothyroid patient. I am also suffering with severe cough which increases during nights and also on sleeping supine. Is this related to thyroid problem please give me suggestion

Published: June 16

It is so helpful to read what others are experiencing are the symptoms for hypothyroidism. My blood test was just returned. The TSH result was 2.436 with normal being 5.5. My Doctor faxed me the results saying it was all fine/normal. I have had a very gritty feeling in my eyes for months, no energy, depressed, 1st time ever-- difficulty sleeping (for which she gave me Ambien only to find out it is very habit forming). As it was stated by another comment. Do not give up and assume that our Dr's are always right. We must listen to our bodies and respond by looking further into the problem. I am female/age 67, have played tennis all my life and never had any real health issues. This feeling is not normal and I plan to research it. Thanks to this info on line.

Published: June 13

I had trouble swallowing. It felt like I was being strangled all the time, even when lying down. I also felt fatigue anxiety, moodiness, muscle pain (especially in the neck and shoulders), and weight gain. I thought it was depression. For years I was on an antidepressant only to find out that I have hypothyroidism. I also experienced confusion, and was very forgetful, which seemed to appear suddenly. I hope that information will help.

Published: June 13

Brain fog puffy eyes bright lights and dizziness.

Published: June 13

I have goitre. For three or four years I have been complaining of aching joints and tiredness. My former doctor gave me steroids for the aches and pains and these helped for a year or so. November I returned after 4 years to my former doctor when moving house again. She stopped the steroids as she could not see in my notes why I was given them. Since then I have had blood tests for hypothyroidism which showed everything normal. I have been getting worse. I am tired, have dry hair and loss of hair, brittle nails, gritty eyes, a lump in my throat, put on weight and the pains in my joints and muscles are much worse. Yesterday I had a scan which showed the goitre has grown considerably. I am seeing a specialist next week. If the blood tests I had last week are still showing normal is there any other way to prove the diagnosis? I'm 69 and still working 3 days a week as a skills adviser and 2 days a week voluntarily. I cannot believe what I am experiencing is just old age.

Published: June 12

I am 80 years old and have been taking medication for 37 years. I now take Levothroid for an underactive thyroid. I have taken 0.75 mgs for several years. I have bouts of depression which I cannot decide if it is an imbalance in my thyroid medication or if I am just suffering from an old-age syndrome.

Published: June 11

I went for my physical and spoke to my doctor about constipation and very lengthy menstrual cycles. At first, he was thinking about placing me on birth control and treating me for IBS. Then when he continued with the physical and noticed my dry, flaking skin, he said he wanted to check my thyroid. I had no other symptoms and I had even lost so much weight that I was below normal for my height. Since being placed on Synthroid, my menstrual cycles have straightened right out and my skin has never been smoother.

Published: June 09

I have had Hypothyroidism for 13 yrs. and I have taken daily Meds everyday since I was diagnosed. The symptoms for me were: Feeling Cold all the time, No appetite but gaining weight, Urinating once an hour., dry skin, hair loss, constipation, hip joint pain, Once on Meds. (1/2 replacement) I was fine, I get it checked every 6 month and my dosages have never changed.

Published: June 09

According to my doctor my T4 levels and my TSH are good. They are in the low range but they say that's okay. I feel terrible. Fatigue, losing hair like crazy and just no energy. Should I try and get my levels in the medium to high range, would that help?

Published: June 05

I have been being treated for depression for over 6 years and still feel that there is a problem with my thyroid. I cannot sleep; I am always tired and have no energy at all. I have gained about 25 pounds and have not changed any eating habits to induce this. My skin is very dry and my hair is as well, I lose alot of it in the shower. Hands swollen in the morning and just general aches and pains. I generally feel physically drained every day. I have made an appointment with my husband's physician and hopefully will get some answers soon.

Published: June 03

The confusion/depression part was the most alarming for me. What is worse, though, was that I had a doctor from a very well respected hospital who kept saying I was simply depressed. As I reported more and more symptoms of low thyroid, she kept doubling the dose of antidepressants. At long last, I went back to my family home and consulted my childhood doctor. He took some blood (something the other physician had not done), and had the answer: very low thyroid. I would suggest that my experience is probably not an isolated one. Often, I think, if a doctor sees that a patient has ever been treated for depression (as I had been), they may be tempted to ascribe later symptoms to the same thing. Patients have got to be aggressive on their own behalf. If you feel your doctor is overlooking something, or oversimplifying a situation, and that feeling lasts over time, do not hesitate to get a second opinion.

Published: May 27

The first symptoms I experienced for hypothyroidism were: sleepiness, hands tingling, droopy eyelids, swollen ankles and aching joints.

Published: May 27

My first symptoms were weight gain, irritability, and feeling tired along with insomnia. Five years later I still feel tired, and am now obese (I've gained 64 lbs.). I've been diagnosed with insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and diabetes. I have digestive issues, fatty liver disease, extremely high and fluctuating blood pressure (causing migraines and vomiting), muscle stiffness, muscle cramps, joint pain and swelling, dry rough skin, mood swings, high cholesterol, and constipation. I also was diagnosed with asthma, which turns out, wasn't asthma, but a reaction to Synthroid. I now take the generic brand, still have symptoms, but no shortness of breath. I follow a very strict diet and exercise regime to no avail, other than I think it helps me sleep better. I'm thinking of turning to alternative therapies, including natural thyroid drugs. But finding a doctor to prescribe them could be difficult.

Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I was diagnosed with having hypothyroidism just a few days ago. I'm excited to start taking the medications and start to get over my symptoms of fatigue, aching joints, sore eyes, and loss of memory. I read that in children sometimes the learning difficulties caused by this and the loss of memory can be permanent is this true for adults as well?

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter