Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Causes

If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Ionizing radiation from nuclear fallout during testing in Nevada during the 1950s was the cause of my hypothyroidism. Strontium 90 replaced calcium in our bones. It has a half-life of roughly 30 years. The bones in our skulls surround the hypothalamus and pituitary. Additionally, I also had a large meningioma which I suspect put pressure on the hypothalamus and pituitary. Check the National Cancer Institute maps to see how much radiation you got; it drifted all over the country.

Comment from: Chemist, (Caregiver) Published: June 17

Chemicals in plastics are linked to endocrine disorders. Do not drink out of cold plastic bottles or heat food or liquid in plastic. Do not put plastic in the microwave.

Comment from: Doodle, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

During surgery for hyperparathyroidism, the surgeon found that I had a knotty, fibrous goiter. I had a partial thyroidectomy. My last blood test showed a TSH level of 82, so my thyroid is working. It's nearly 2 years since I had my surgery. I was 63 years old at the time. I had a double heart bypass 2 years before that.