Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone production is controlled by the brain by the pituitary gland. Hypothyroidism is a very common condition and the symptoms of hypothyroidism are often subtle, but may include
There are a variety of causes of hypothyroidism, and treatment depends on the cause.Read more: Hypothyroidism Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Metabolism Quiz: What is Metabolism?
Would you know if there were something wrong with your metabolism? At what age does metabolism begin to slow? Take the mystery...
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Surprising Reasons for Weight Gain
There are many reasons for sudden weight gain when there are no changes in diet or exercise. Sudden weight gain could be caused...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
The 14 Most Common Causes of Fatigue
Always feeling tired? Learn more about the causes of fatigue. Get tips to relieve symptoms of fatigue. Feel less tired and start...
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Burning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
Foot pain and heel pain can be serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Constipation (Home Remedies and Medications for Relief)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Frostbite (Cold Weather-Related Injuries)
There are two categories to cold weather-related injuries. 1) no freezing of body tissue (trench foot and chilblains), and 2)...
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Raynaud's phenomenon is characterized by a pale-blue-red sequence of color changes of the digits, most commonly after exposure to...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Thyroiditis is the inflammation of the thyroid gland. The inflamed thyroid gland can release an excess of thyroid hormones into...
Prolactinoma (Pituitary Tumor)
Prolactinoma is an adenoma (benign tumor) of the pituitary gland. Causes of many prolactinomas are unknown. Symptoms in women...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBC)
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (PBS) is a liver disease in which bile building up in the organ damages bile ducts. Ultimately, this...
Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Pendred syndrome, a genetic disorder that causes hearing loss. Generally, the hearing loss is affected in early childhood....
Hypothyroidism During Pregnancy
Hypothyroidism during pregnancy can be treated with synthetic thyroid hormones to maintain the proper thyroid hormone balance....
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Myxedema coma is the loss of brain function due to severe longstanding low levels of thyroid hormone in the blood. Myxedema coma...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Urinary Incontinence in Women
Millions of women suffer from urinary incontinence (UI). UI occurs twice as often in women as in men. There are many types of...
There are a variety of diseases and conditions that can cause tongue problems, discoloration, and soreness. Though most tongue...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Dizziness is a symptom that is often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Primary Ovarian Insufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI)
Primary ovarian iInsufficiency (POF, Premature Ovarian Failure, POI) is the cessation of normal functioning of the ovaries in...
Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium)
Hyponatremia is a condition where the level of sodium in the blood is low. Causes of hyponatremia can occur from excess fluid in...
Amenorrhea (including hypothalmic amenorrhea) is a condition in which there is an absence of menstrual periods in a woman. There...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Newborn jaundice or neonatal jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, whites of the eyes, and skin of a...
15 Foods That Cause Constipation
Constipation or the decrease in frequency and/or difficulty in passing stools (bowel movements) can be caused by a variety...
Dandruff vs. Dry Scalp
Dandruff is a condition characterized by small white flakes that shed from the scalp. Dry scalp is simply dry skin on one's head....
Morgellons disease is a rare condition causing delusions the sufferer has parasites under his or her skin. The disease has a...
Hypothyroidism - Symptoms
For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?Post View 136 Comments
Hypothyroidism - Treatments
What has been the treatment for your hypothyroidism?Post View 82 Comments
Hypothyroidism - Diet
How does your diet affect your hypothyroidism?Post View 18 Comments
Hypothyroidism - Personal Experience
Did you suspect you might have hypothyroidism? Please share your story.Post View 40 Comments
Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis
What tests and exams led to a diagnosis of hypothyroidism?Post View 10 Comments
Hypothyroidism - Causes
If known, what is the cause of hypothyroidism in you or a relative?Post View 6 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Cold Feet and Toes
- Cold Fingers
- Dry Mouth
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Vaginal Dryness
- Weight Gain
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Cold Hands
- Dry Skin
- Enlarged Heart
- Sore Tongue
- Brittle Nails
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Neonatal Jaundice
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Mood Swings
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Thyroid FAQs
- Metabolism FAQs
- Don't Be Afraid to Ask - Dr. Mathur
- 9 Common Newborn Screening Tests
- Thyroid Disease Symptoms and Signs
- Hypothyroidism Symptoms
- Goiter Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Thyroid: Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Thyroid Disease, Osteoporosis and Calcium
- Thyroid Disease and Menopause
- Thyroid and Aging - Helping to Keep the Golden Years Golden
- Ask the Experts Index
- Ask The Experts - Thyroid
- Sub-Clinical Hypothyroidism - To Treat or Not ?
- Screening for Thyroid Disease?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Thyroid Problems May Make Things Worse for Dialysis Patients
- Know the Signs of Thyroid Trouble
- Should Pregnant Women Always Be Treated for Underactive Thyroid?
- Can You Blame Your Headaches on Your Thyroid?
- Restrictive Diets May Cause Thyroid Troubles in Young Kids
- Underactive Thyroid May Raise Odds for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Agent Orange Linked to Bladder Cancer, Thyroid Problems, Panel Says
- Health Tip: Spot the Signs of Hypothyroidism
- Even Slightly Overactive Thyroid Linked to Higher Fracture Risk
- The 10 Most-Prescribed and Top-Selling Medications
- Fluoride in Drinking Water Tied to Higher Rates of Underactive Thyroid
- Thyroid Trouble May Harm Women's Fertility, Study Finds
- Standard Treatment for Underactive Thyroid Gland Still Best: Experts
- Diabetes Drug Metformin May Affect Thyroid in Some Patients
- Thyroid Problem Can Lead to Sick Leaves From Work, Study Finds
- Certain Thyroid-Related Diseases May Vary by Race
- Underactive Thyroid Not Linked to Memory Problems
- Risks for Kidney Donors Decline, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Is a Medical Condition Affecting Your Weight?
- Chemicals in Carpets, Cosmetics Tied to Thyroid Problems
- Underactive Thyroid and Heart Failure a Bad Combination: Study
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Risk for Common Irregular Heartbeat
- Health Issues Add to Risk of Vitamin D Deficiency, Study Says
- BPA Exposure Impacts Pregnant Women's Thyroids, Study Suggests
- Soy Formula May Harm Babies With Underactive Thyroid: Report
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- Screening Moms-to-Be for Thyroid Trouble May Not Help Offspring
- CT Scan Dye Containing Iodine May Affect Thyroid
- Hip Fracture Patients Often Have Other Health Problems
- Buyer, Beware of Over-the-Counter Thyroid Supplements: Study
- Study: 'Thyroid Support' Supplements May Be Risky