Patient Comments: Hyponatremia - Experience

Please describe your experience with Hyponatremia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia in August 2013 for which I was admitted to the hospital on 3 different occasions during that month. My Internist thought it was caused by a tumor and he ordered a CAT scan in which a tumor was found in right lung. It turned out to be small cell cancer and I went through chemotherapy for 3 months while at the same time I also underwent radiation therapy. I've had low sodium occasionally along with hypothyroidism which seem to occur together. I've been in remission since November 2013. Presently I do suffer from low energy to exhaustion.

Comment from: cherokee, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

I had pneumonia but still had dry cough. I went back to the doctor and had CAT scan to determine why my pneumonia came back. Nothing on CAT. My doctor prescribed Tessalon and Biaxin. I have energy now but still a lingering dry cough. Not all the time but sometimes.

Comment from: Doc in the Box, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Soccer ball versus external ear, caused perforation of the right eardrum, 1/2 of the lower anterior quadrant. There was no infection when seen, and normal audiogram.

Comment from: Alexei, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have been in constant pain for over 2 months from costochondritis (not my first bout), pain in the back both sides, and sternum. I also have chronic sinus problems. I am kind of wondering if repeated sinus infections could be a cause, because of all the coughing. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow to discuss this. Maybe reaming out my sinuses will help. I don't know. I have lost my sense of humor with this bout.

Comment from: Sodium, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with hyponatremia 2 years ago. I went to my neurologist for a follow up for seizures and my blood pressure was very low. I felt a little tired, was confused and at times collapsed. So I went to the emergency room (ER) for low blood pressure, confusion, and dehydration. I was diagnosed with hyponatremia. So I was admitted and was put on IVs and stayed until my sodium level reached to 137. The first time I went to the ER, it was at a dangerously low level of 121. Then a month later I ended up in the ER again and it was 131. I was told to stay away from water. Water dilutes the sodium and to limit my fluid intake to no more than a liter a day. I take antidepressant, seizure medication, and medicines for lupus. And the doctor is blaming these medicines for the cause of the hyponatremia. I don't believe that is the case because I've taken these medicines for years. And the neurologist and psychiatrist don't believe that these medicines are the cause for my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Snowqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

It all started about a week ago with chills which I didn't pay much attention to because I live in the north and have a very tender scalp. A few days ago, I started to get occasional shooting pain in my right ear. The following day a blister formed on the bridge of my nose and by night time the rash had developed on the outer edge of my eyebrow. Throughout the day, it began to feel as if I had sandpaper in my eye. Late yesterday, I noticed a lump in front of my ear. I have been fortunate that the pain is tolerable and I am mostly cold and tired. It has not been officially diagnosed by a certified doctor but my research and the rash point to shingles. It doesn't help that I already have adrenal exhaustion.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I took Cipro and Levaquin, and am falling apart. I was healthy and now have been diagnosed with costochondritis. I broke my tendons in my arm and Achilles tendon. This type of antibiotic destroys your life. If you've taken these drugs, you will notice a lot of health problems. My life is ruined!

Comment from: Flash, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

First experienced asymptomatic hyponatremia was caused by thiazide diuretic. Serum sodium was 127 and I discontinued diuretic use. Two years later, I experienced symptoms of hyponatremia, nausea, vomiting, bloating, headache, and fatigue. I thought it was a virus at first. Symptoms kept recurring every few days for 3 weeks. When I was sick, I couldn't take my medications, then I would improve, resume eating and taking my medications, then would get sick again. On a hunch, I discontinued taking Celexa, and my symptoms disappeared within 2 days, although the headache lingered. After some research online, I concluded that my symptoms were the result of SSRI (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) causing hyponatremia. I've scheduled an appointment to see my doctor and get lab tests done to check my sodium levels. Wish I had contacted my doctor sooner, but there was a 'stomach virus' sweeping through my area at the time, and I just assumed that was my problem, although I have a very sturdy digestive system and hadn't even had an episode of vomiting for over 25 years. I should have suspected something else due to the recurrence of symptoms over and over again for weeks. I feel lucky I didn't end up in the hospital with seizures.

Comment from: Newlynn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 10

Please add Prozac as cause for hyponatremia! It took weeks and much investigation by medical professionals to discover that my brother's hyponatremia was caused by his Prozac! Only 10 mg dose. Thank goodness I found it by reading his medications (multiple) and he was cured after he was off the Prozac for only a few days!

Comment from: Saundra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I am bipolar and I take lots of drugs for anxiety, depression, acid reflux, sinuous infection, sleeping aid. My blood pressure went high and I was put on another drug. I began to have falls and urine infection. When I went to the doctor he discovered my pulse was low and a blood test revealed my sodium was low. The blood pressure drug was causing dehydration and hyponatremia.

Comment from: Drink tender coconut, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

I used to drink lot of water and I faced all these problems, even my blood pressure also fluctuating, without knowing the cause (actually lots of water drinking that was culprit). Even the doctor also prescribed some blood pressure tablets but somehow I didn"t take it. When I get up early in the morning I noticed that I was having swollen eyes, luckily I myself identified that it"s because of excess drinking of water. I stopped drinking water (just 1 or 2 glasses) but instead I started drinking tender coconut (as you know, that is equal to your blood plasma) and all the problems were solved.

Comment from: Rick...., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I suffered from trigeminal neuralgia from 2002. At first thought it was my teeth. But no; it came and went. I started getting it bad in 2011. The doctor gave me everything going and I ended up taking an overdose of different tablets. The pain in my head was unbearable and I ended up in hospital. There they gave me oxcarbazepine and gabapentin. Wow, I had instant relief; the doctor had not even heard of it. Even though in 2013 I had surgery on my brain to separate a blood vessel (artery) that was touching my trigeminal nerve. I lost nearly 2 stone after the operation; I am not bad now.

Comment from: Tr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Post iron infusion I crave salt, an odd thing. When I have it I feel blood flow in fingers and feet. Also, I have bone pain in hip, talus, and clavicle, all fractured at one time. Knee has fluid in joint and head feels good other than a vascular or subcutaneous fluid in vessel. What does one do when doctors are unsure! I wonder if a medication Miralax could be the possible cause of salt being eliminated from cells and body and cause hyponatremia.

Comment from: Todd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I spent 10 years in Mexico in hot humid conditions. A couple of years ago I started getting weak and lightheaded from the heat. I came back a year ago and have suffered from deep depression and anxiety. I have taken medication with no relief, seems to make hyponatremia worse. I exercise a lot and there are times I crave salt or sugar. And feel like after getting them it literally saves my life. My thoughts and level of consciousness are very low every morning, almost like I am brain dead. I just ate a bunch of salty chips and feel like I can function mentally, but before this was mentally not well.

Comment from: theblondielou, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 27

I have fluctuating values of various substances; right now blood work is showing low sodium levels (and has in the past as well). I came out of my mom"s uterus thirsty and drink a lot of green tea and caffeinated Diet Pepsi (with some decaf DP over lots of ice that melts). Watching my weight at first I used substitute salt. Most of my life I have had low pulse (in hospital once 35) and low blood pressure like upper 90s, top number. My diet currently is mostly Jell-O, pudding with protein powder, low fat peanut butter powder, nonfat milk powder 4 cups a day, 2 Greek peach yoghurt, strawberries/banana with nonfat cool whip banana split. I have no meat, never eat out and have very little processed food. I like salty food but as it increases my weight I don"t touch it. I drink to help feel full so I don"t overeat (former binge eater) so there is no way I will stop. I have migraines so I vomit once every 2 or 3 weeks. I do aerobics (45-50 min 115-135 bpm) and ballroom dancing 2 to 3 hours at a time and sweat so much I bring a fan that I use in between songs (and also have 2 or 3 fans running on me when I do aerobics). I had been taking potassium 99 mg and had stopped when I ran out. Then the low sodium test happened so I think the potassium also is important for me so I resumed the potassium and have included sodium chloride pills and am trying to consume more salt. Doctor wants a repeat test in a month.

Comment from: The bat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I have been suffering from seizures for over 15 years. The doctor has tried me on every medication and nothing works. I get them on average once a month. I have them while I"m sleeping but it"s the postictal symptoms that are the worst. It makes me feel confused, intensely nervous, like I"m on narcotics and lasts from 3 to 15 days. I am just recovering from them after visiting the emergency room twice and after some blood tests they found my sodium levels were low. I wonder if that is what has been causing these seizures the entire time. These are not fun!

Comment from: sandystarr28, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

A couple of years ago, I was in the hospital for extremely low blood pressure (40/20) (and I was still relatively alert and I had walked into ER). A couple of days after I was admitted, my sodium level plummeted. They sent me to ICU where they were giving sodium infusions, sodium tablets, and making me drink tomato juice with 6 salt packets every hour. They were also checking my sodium levels every hour as well (blood draws which pretty much destroyed my veins). It wasn't until this spring that I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and Addison's disease, which helped to explain all of the salt cravings I've had and muscle cramping. I have to take hormones (Synthroid) the rest of my life, and my levels are still a long way from stable, but at least I can understand why this has been happening to me now.

Comment from: tiffanyheartsjesus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a total colectomy (removal of colon) due to Ulcerative Colitis. This has been an ongoing problem because of liquid output in my ileostomy bag. I take supplements for electrolytes to try to keep on top of this, but I often feel mentally confused and off, lethargic and groggy, and sometimes there is a weird pressure in my head, not always a painful headache, but it feels weird. I am a big nerd and anal about spelling and when I am feeling mentally off I can't spell anything and verbally can't convey my thoughts. I am also tired and weak, have trouble sleeping, but other times will sleep for hours. It is very annoying. I often will feel sluggish and don't want to do anything by lie around.

Comment from: js, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 18

My grandmother had what we thought was only a hypoglycemic event. However, she ended up having hyponatremia. She was severely disoriented, confused and had three seizures, each one worse and longer than the other. One thing that concerns me is that she has bowel and bladder changes. She is now dependent and wears a diaper. While her mental status is improving with IV and medication, I am hoping that there is no permanent damage to her brain.

Comment from: cago, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I have hyponatremia and am HIV positive. I have had sever muscle weakness and pain for the last 5 years. All my doctors knew I had a low sodium count but never said I need to do something about this. I feel my doctors really failed me there were many things that they should have been monitoring and checking. I am saying you have to be your best advocate. Get second opinions when something doesn't seem right. Best of luck.

Comment from: pencam, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

To the person who has night seizures causing postictal stateā€¦ Please consider talking to your doctor about vagus nerve stimulator (VNS) therapy. My brother has had this implant since 2001. It prevents this phase, for the most part, after seizures. Good luck!

Comment from: Dr.Pathak, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

With hyponatremia my sodium level in not managed by the treatment, it's down in a week or 2 weeks. My other tests are normal and I m a high blood pressure patient.

Comment from: patsym, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I've had mild hyponatremia a couple of times in the last few years, and seem to be ok if I don't take anti-inflammatories (I have a chronic back condition), long-term high blood pressure. Since arriving back home from a vacation to see family two weeks ago, I've felt "off," headachey and tired. My psychiatrist heard me mention it and ordered blood work, which found a small drop in sodium levels. Just that little bit of difference had me feeling "not quite right."

Comment from: jayne, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 17

I am a mother of a 43 yr old son who has low sodium levels and has brittle diabetes and a brain injury. His sodium is 124 and does this have anything to do with the brain injury?

Comment from: jiliedawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was taking Lisinopril HCTz to lower my blood pressure and then suddenly last summer had severe headache, extreme muscle cramping, nausea and was disoriented. This went on for several months. I had been to several specialists and finally after going to the ER for the second time was diagnosed with hyponatremia. I was hosptitalized and my sodium was at 125. I was so sick all summer long and no doctor put the symptoms together. I no longer take Lisinopril and vow to never take a diuretic again. I now find this summer that I cannot tolerate the heat and sweat profusely as soon as I step outdoors.

Comment from: Toots B8, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Last week I was taken to the hospital after having a full-blown seizure. After having every test imaginable, I was told that the cause was low sodium. It was very scary. On my third day in the hospital, my levels finally started to go up. The doctors said it could take months to recover and for my short term memory to return to normal.

Comment from: Wascaly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My sodium has been running low the past several years. Two years ago I had an "episode," when I took a little mental vacation, and was admitted to the hospital for a week. During this time I also had pneumonia, which was discovered in the hospital. Until that time I was relatively healthy and very fit. What I can't understand is that I have high blood pressure (even with an active lifestyle) with hyponatremia. I don't drink an abnormal amount of fluids, but I do crave salty foods. Doctors have not been able to explain why I suddenly have this condition in a way I can understand it, so I walk around kind of paranoid that I might decide to "check out" at any time.

Published: March 06

My stepdad is 53 and just had a seizure last night due to his sodium levels bottoming out. I still have research to do but the symptoms of this blood disorder fit him well, especially what happened yesterday and actually a week or two before. Vomiting, muscle spasms, and yesterday he was acting very nervous and a little confused all day and had the seizure in the afternoon. It was so scary. This is very serious and I hope people will take care of their loved ones with this disease.

Comment from: A Relieved Daughter, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My father became extremely ill ( trying to vomit with an empty stomach) because he was not eating. He has a history of high blood pressure. The G.P. doctor said he had a sinus and ear infection and treated it with antibiotics. There was no improvement and he still could not eat. He only drank water and ginger ale for 4 days. His sodium level was 112 when he was submitted to the hospital. It turned out that his kidney was not performing properly and everything else (not sure if the initial diagnose was correct) added up to a very scary Christmas experience. He was given medication to increase the sodium level which decreased his blood pressure to about 77/66, which was extremely low for someone with hypertension. The point is to get to the hospital if you cannot consume food and can only manage fluids. Otherwise it could be the start of a very dangerous adventure.

Comment from: Jillian, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My mother, was nearly 80, had low salt but very high blood pressure. Although she had confusion at times, and headaches, no one ever suggested a brain scan. The doctor kept telling her to take another salt tablet as well as another blood pressure tablet. She had a brain tumor. When she came to stay with me and didn't know where she was, I took her to my doctor with blood pressure of 240/190. In the Brain Tumor Surgery Ward, they said that 'everyone' knows that low salt and high blood pressure indicates a blockage in the brain. Well, someone should be telling doctors that and to send the patients for a brain scan.

Comment from: phxfinn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

With Hyponatremia I suffered from lightheadedness, weakness, and low energy. I tried to exercise, but after 5 minutes my muscles felt exhausted and I was out of breath. I nearly passed out once. My doctor told me she didn't see anything abnormal in my blood tests, but to see a Cardiologist (I'm 31 with an asymptomatic valve issue). After five minutes he told me breastfeeding lowered my salt levels and affected my already lower-than-normal blood pressure. Now I make my own Gatorade, which I drink daily and I feel tired when I don't consume enough salt.

Comment from: Maz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was admitted to hospital with vomiting, dizziness, restlessness, back cramps, headache, anxiety, and found to have a sodium level of 115. After it was brought back up to normal levels, I was discharged and within a fortnight was back in hospital with the same symptoms. Luckily I had a brilliant consultant who did some research and found that the omeprazole I was taking for acid reflux was the cause.

Comment from: Irene, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

I am caring for my 85 year old mother in her home.Last night, while I was sleeping, she put a container of salad dressing (oil/vinaigrette) in the microwave for 30 minutes. When I woke up and smelled the smoke, the microwave still had 17 minutes on it. Come to find out from her doctor today that her sodium levels are very low. This is no doubt causing her confusion. She has heart. I'll be bringing her in right away, so afraid of what she might do next.

Comment from: shelby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am a 46 year old female that has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (via spinal tap), fibromyalgia, epilepsy, hypertension and restless leg syndrome. I have grand mal seizures and afterwards a severe headache that lasts up to 3 days. For HTN I was given a beta blocker and a diuretic. I've continued that for about 2 years. I think my doctor is nuts because he won't listen to me but now within the last 6 months I've been in the hospital with a diagnosis of hyponatremia and hypokaltremia. I want to know why and what I can do about it. They tell me no salt or sodium products. I'm confused.

Comment from: Whalelvr10, 65-74 Female Published: October 05

My mother had hip replacement surgery on July 6, 2009. The painkillers she was on made her very sick. Time and time again we asked that they discontinue the Percocet and use something else. Three weeks after surgery, I noticed Mom was very confused and seemed disoriented, and my brother noticed this as well. When we asked the nurses if mom had had a stroke or something we were told we had to bring mom's sodium levels up because they were too low. So, we brought them up slowly. At 1:23 a.m. the next morning, Mom passed away from hyponatremia. If you see these kinds of symptoms, do not trust the caregivers...

Comment from: Nurse, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 06

My mother has CHF, renal disease, smoldering myeloma, mucinous adenocarcinoma of the lung, hypothyroidism, restless leg syndrome, and a pacemaker/defibrillator. Her sodium dropped to 125 along with a white count of 1.9 after having one round of chemotherapy. The action taken was to limit her fluid intake to one liter a day.

Comment from: ami, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had a blood test and was told I have Hyponatremia. I eat little salt I don't exercise and drink a lot of water. It's hard to increase your salt intake when you have high blood pressure. I like my water.

Comment from: Vondy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I am a 52 year old male and have been experiencing muscle cramping in various areas of my body. After a little research I think the cause may be low sodium in my blood as I drink plenty of water, take a multi-vitamin supplement daily and eat fruit, but only rarely use salt, though I do like salt on certain foods. I work out regularly and enjoy sweating in the sauna and steam room which causes loss of sodium. Now I just need to figure how much sodium I need and whether to take it before, after or both.

Comment from: rimor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

At the age of 16, I was told by a doctor that I had low sodium levels and needed to consume my salt in my diet. I never heard of such a condition, but with time, I would develop all the symptoms mentioned in this article. I have blood in my urine, and for that reason, I consume between 90 to 160 0z of water a day. I'm now 46 years old, and when I go for more than 3 months without a pinch of salt, I get all the symptoms, including mild convulsions. These days, I carry salt tablets.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I am the care giver for my 88 year old mother who is now in the hospital for an unrelated health issue. However, I just found out she has low sodium levels. I found this web site to be useful because it helps me understand her health concerns in relationship to her past and present health issues. I understand there are several causes of Hypernatremia and hopefully the doctor will be able to discover the cause of her problem and put her back on track to recovery.

Comment from: dmgoodwin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am 57 years old and was just released from the hospital where I was diagnosed with pulmonary edema. This was caused by low sodium in my blood. It was only 111 and the normal is 135 to 145. I have no idea why it dropped, but I was in the hospital for 9 days where I was on oxygen, heart monitor, and IV's. Now, I am on oxygen at home. My sodium level has returned to normal, but naturally I am concerned that it will drop again, because I don't know what caused it to fall in the first place.

Comment from: ephiny2011, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

In 2004, I was put on hypertension meds. Ever since, I have low sodium levels and sometimes high potassium levels. I read that ace inhibitors can cause this. I take ace inhibitors along with calcium channel blockers to control my high blood pressure. I too, sometimes experience dizziness, muscle cramps at night, and headaches. I'm sure I need a change in meds, but since blood pressure is under control, doctors are reluctant.

Comment from: Julies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have not been officially diagnosed w/ hyponatremia but have had some serious bouts of nausea, tingling/numbness in my fingers, dizziness, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue and restless legs at night - just to name a few! I am 42 years old in excellent health. I workout moderately 3 to 4 times per week nothing excessive and nothing new for me either. I have now gone to 3 doctors - 2 told me to drink lots of Gatorade 1 thought I was anemic (which the blood tests proved otherwise). I drank 60 oz of electrolyte drinks for 3 days - I do feel a little better but still experience dizziness and weakness. What should I do!!!

Comment from: Cathy Hunter, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 16

My 76 year old mother has collapsed twice with low sodium levels in the last 2 years. The hospital has said both times that she overdosed on too much water. This time we thought she had a bladder infection that had been going back to march 2011, and been on 4 courses of antibiotics, but was told last night that she did not have a bladder infection and had not had one since March. This is all very confusing. My poor mum is now very weak, after all the antibiotics, MRI scans, ct scans, and being in bed for 6 days. Her arthritis is not helping either.

Comment from: Charla, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

During a routine blood test, my doctor noticed that my salt level was just barely below normal. I am in excellent general health; the only symptom I was experiencing was frequent headaches. My doctor suggested drinking sports drinks to replace my electrolytes, and increasing my salt intake. He suggested I eat more dill pickles, which I was quite happy to do. The headaches are much less frequent and when they do occur they're mild, and can usually be mitigated with a sports drink and pickle, or bag of salty chips.

Comment from: rsage, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 26

My father has been diagnosed with hyponatremia over the past 6 months. We thought he had early onset dementia or a brain tumor or maybe just depression. His MD was aware but did nothing. Last weekend his sodium got low/er and he ran his vehicle into someone else's home out of confusion or going unconscious, and now he has a head injury and will never be the same again! The MD's at the trauma center told us, your dad's sodium is extremely low and that is why he probably got in the accident. His car was totaled. We are very sad. This is serious. Get it taken care of before this happens to you or your loved one.

Comment from: embooth, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My husband had been taking a medication called lisinopril as a preventative for his heart and kidneys due to diabetes. Over the course of 6 months he had nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, and headache. The doctor's office said that his blood work showed that his sodium level had decreased but not to a dangerous level. I took him to the ER and he was diagnosed with hyponatremia and immediately given an IV of sodium. I was unable to post any type of warning on the FDA's website for the lisinopril.

Comment from: mepco, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a tetraplegic recently admitted to spinal unit for a baclofen pump installed. During my stay I suffered with mental confusion, unable to recognize where I was and some visitors and became demented and paranoid and unable to sleep for 2 days , was diagnosed with low sodium this was corrected with IV and sodium tablets and recovered within 24 hours with no apparent long term damage.

Published: January 31

I suffer from severe hyponatremia and severe hypokalemia (low potassium)on a regular basis because I purge (vomit) many times a day due to an eating disorder. The best treatment I have found and would suggest to anyone, but only under doctor supervision, is pedialyte. 1 liter of pedialyte contains 45 meq (milliequivalents) of sodium as well as 20 meq of potassium and additionally 45 meq of chloride, another important electrolyte.

Comment from: Scottie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 23

My husband has been diagnosed with low sodium levels, he has a history of unstable angina, had two triple heart by-passes, five heart attacks and now has acute osteo arthritis in his hip for which he has been prescribed pain killers and amotriptylene. He drinks lots of water, has lost a stone in weight in two months, and is very confused. I am very worried.

Comment from: Vicki, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had slightly lower sodium levels like 132 or 133 for years and the Dr. tells me not to drink too much water. I really don't like water and do only mild exercise 2 or 3 times a week. I do try to keep my calorie intake down to maintain my weight at an appropriate level for my height and size and not gain weight which is very easy for me to do since I love to eat. The only way I can do this is to drink coffee w/o caffeine and deictic tea to keep me full between meals. I have low normal blood pressure and all my other blood work and vital signs are fine .

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 28

My family member had a stroke and after coming home had 2 seizures and said it was from his sodium level was too low. He was on 2 water pills and recently had another seizure. Will only drink coffee.

Comment from: richard, Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I drank a gallon and a half of water before and during a 4 hour endurance event only urinated once ended up that night vomiting gained 4 pounds with cramps went to the ER where I stayed for a day and a night with horrible stomach and body aches. Blood pressure very low.

Comment from: rochellel, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My 82 year old mother has been told to stop diuretics every other day because of low sodium level in her blood. She drinks very little water and doesn't salt anything but eats food with salt in it, salami, bacon, corned beef, etc. She has high blood pressure and her heart is not that good. Is there anything she can do to reduce swelling without using diuretics? What kind of diet should she be on when her sodium level is already low?

Comment from: TV, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 21

My mother is 74 years old. Her blood pressure is always above 140. We took her to ER because she passed out for a moment and her blood pressure was extremely high 220. The blood test in the hospital shown that her sodium level was low. Other tests like CAT Scan, MRI, heart ultrasound, throat ultrasound shown normal. Not sure what could cause that.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter