Patient Comments: Hyponatremia (Low Blood Sodium) - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you received for your low blood sodium? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mild7gabe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I had hyponatremia, it was getting pretty bad. They injected me with high level of sodium within 40 minutes. They were very salty. I got cured immediately after.

Comment from: Ribbonrose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have chronic low blood sodium. The doctors do not seem to know how to treat this. I am wondering if I could I take a salt pill.

Comment from: jojo, Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. On my last CBC, my sodium level is 30. The only thing the nurse said was to eat more salt. I have a constant headache and dizziness.

Comment from: Colleen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have chronic low sodium, and hypertension. I now control the low sodium with a level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda mixed with apple cider vinegar or lime juice, to which I add water. The bicarb soda does not affect my blood pressure at all, so is safe for me to take. I add the lime juice or vinegar (acid) so that I can actually drink it. I now think more clearly, do not stammer, and do not walk into the edges of tables, and doorways. I also now have enough energy to enjoy my life.

Comment from: Mississippi Queen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am on a fluid restriction of 1.5 quarts per day. I also have to eat a high protein, high fiber diet. I have to add salt to my foods when cooking. I also have labs drawn every three months to check my NA level.

Comment from: Bob, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I had severe hyponatremia. I passed out and was in the hospital for a week. The first treatment was 1 gm salt pills three times a day. Later it was determined that the cause was adrenal insufficiency. Now that I'm taking hydrocortisone (Cortef) pills, it seems to be conquered.

Take the Blood Disorders Quiz