Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2 diabetes are at risk for this condition. There are other diseases that can cause a person's blood sugar levels to go too low, for example, pancreatitis, Cushing's syndrome, and pancreatic cancer. Symptoms and signs that your blood sugar levels are too low include:
If your blood sugars become too have the following nearby as a quick treatment.
- Table sugar
- Glucose tablets
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
Type 1 Diabetes: What Are The Symptoms?
What is type 1 diabetes? Is there a cure for type 1 diabetes? Learn about type 1 diabetes symptoms, warning signs, causes, and...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Slideshow: Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Type 1 Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What are the causes of type 1 diabetes? Take this quiz and challenge your knowledge of causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatments...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Diabetes Diet: 11 Low-Sugar Drink Ideas
Searching for low-sugar drink ideas? This pictures slideshow has eleven beverages ideal for people with diabetes and those...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
Travel Tips for Better Diabetes Control
Traveling with diabetes can be intimidating, but it shouldn't stop you! Learn tips for packing your diabetic supplies, how to...
Women’s Health: 13 Hormone Imbalance Symptoms and Signs
Hormone imbalance involves changes in estrogen, progesterone, and other hormone levels. Hormonal imbalance may cause symptoms...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2, List of Foods to Eat and Avoid)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too...
Dizziness is a symptom that is often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes is a disease where your body does not make enough insulin or does not use insulin correctly, and you blood sugar...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Seizures Symptoms and Types
Seizures are divided into two categories: generalized and partial. Generalized seizures are produced by electrical impulses from...
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Palpitations (Causes and Symptoms)
Palpitations are uncomfortable sensations of the heart beating hard, rapidly, or irregularly. Some types of palpitations are...
Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which the person has seizures. There are two kinds of seizures, focal and generalized. There are...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Type 1 Diabetes (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Complications)
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a complication of type 1 diabetes that is life threatening. If a person thinks they may have...
Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences)
Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and...
Coma is the inability to waken or react to the surrounding environment. The Glasgow Coma Scale is frequently used to measure the...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Hypoglycemia - Effective Treatments
What kinds of treatment help your hypoglycemia? Do you carry food (glucose) with you at all times?Post View 60 Comments
Hypoglycemia - Symptoms
What were the symptoms and signs of your hypoglycemia?Post View 76 Comments
Hypoglycemia - Risk Factors
Please describe your risk factors, like pre-diabetes, for hypoglycemia.Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Shaking Hands (Hand Tremors)
- Increased Appetite
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Altered Mental Status
- Pale Skin
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
Medications & Supplements
- glucagon recombinant - injection, Glucagon, Glucagon Emergency K
- GLUCAGON-INJECTION, Glucagon
- glucose (Insta-Glucose, Dex4, Enfamil Glucose, Glutol, Glutose and many others)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- glucagon (recombinant - GlucaGen, Glucagon Emergency Kit)
- repaglinide, Prandin
- Jardiance (empagliflozin)
- dextrose monohydrate solution
- insulin glargine (Lantus)
- diazoxide - oral, Proglycem
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- Glucovance (glyburide/metformin)
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Calcitrate, Calcium Chloride, Rolaids, Oyster Shell, Tums, and others)
- Avandamet (rosiglitazone/metformin)
Prevention & Wellness
- Low Blood Sugar in Newborns Tied to Brain Problems Later
- Exercising Safely With Diabetes
- For Diabetics, Nasal Powder Fixed Severe Low Blood Sugar
- Can Folks With Type 2 Diabetes Forgo the Finger Stick?
- Suicide by Insulin?
- Transplant of Insulin-Producing Cells Offers Hope Against Type 1 Diabetes
- When Is It Safe to Drive With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Severe Low Blood Sugar Episode May Up Death Risk in Those With Type 2 Diabetes
- Pregnancy-Linked Diabetes Poses Risks for Mom, Baby
- High-Tech Blood Sugar Monitors May Help People With Type 1 Diabetes
- Insulin Prices Skyrocket, Putting Many Diabetics in a Bind
- Low Blood Sugar Linked to Death Risk for Hospital Patients
- Health Tip: Exercise Safely With Diabetes
- 'Artificial Pancreas' Approved for Type 1 Diabetes
- FDA OKs New Injectable Type 2 Diabetes Medication
- Intensive Blood Sugar Control May Be Too Much for Some With Type 2 Diabetes
- Valentine's Day Can Still Be Sweet for Loved Ones With Diabetes
- Nasal Spray May Give Diabetics Faster Treatment for Low Blood Sugar
- Blood Thinner, Certain Diabetes Drugs Are a Bad Combo
- Artificial Pancreas Works Well in Home Trial
- Brief Drop in Blood Sugar at Birth Tied to Poorer School Performance
- Psoriasis Drug May Help Preserve Pancreas Cells in Type 1 Diabetes
- Health Tip: Diabetics Who Compete
- Painkiller Tramadol Linked to Low Blood Sugar
- Study Compares Insulin Regimens for Type 1 Diabetes
- Insulin Pumps May Outperform Daily Injections for Type 2 Diabetes: Study
- Experts Revise Optimum Blood Sugar Level for Kids With Type 1 Diabetes
- Intensive Insulin Therapy Might Aid Diabetics After Heart Attack
- Low Blood Sugar May Affect Heartbeat in People With Diabetes
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Might Not Help All Critically Ill Kids
- People With Type 1 Diabetes May Still Have Insulin-Producing Cells
- Gel May Offer Simple Treatment for Newborns With Low Blood Sugar
- Psoriasis Drug May Help Treat Type 1 Diabetes: Report
- Certain Antibiotics Tied to Blood Sugar Swings in Diabetics
- Low Blood Sugar Levels May Pose Heart Risks for Diabetics, Review Suggests
- New Insulin Pump Cuts Odds of Overnight Hypoglycemia
- New Insulin Pump Cuts Odds of Overnight Hypoglycemia
- Low Blood Sugar May Raise Dementia Risk in Diabetics: Study
- Health Tip: Prevent Low Blood Sugar
- With Diabetes, Boosting Exercise Should Be Done Safely
- Tight Blood Sugar Control Won't Help Babies After Heart Surgery
- Health Tip: Is My Blood Glucose Too Low?
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Low Blood Sugar
- Newer 'Second-Line' Diabetes Drug May Outperform Older Meds
- Many People With Type 1 Diabetes Missing Treatment Goals: Study
- More Progress Made on Artificial Pancreas for Diabetes Patients
- Diabetes Can Take a Toll on Your Emotions
- Diabetes Groups Issue New Guidelines on Blood Sugar
- Experimental Drug Shows Promise Against Type 2 Diabetes
- Driving Isn't An Issue for Most People With Diabetes
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Hyperglycemia
- Metformin: Safer for Heart Than Older Diabetes Drugs?
- New Drug May Help Treat Diabetes
- New Insulin May Treat Dangerously Low Blood Sugar
- Artificial Pancreas Could Help Pregnant Diabetic Women
- Recall of Defective Glucose Test Strips
- Inhaled Insulin May Help Treat Diabetes
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter