Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Treatments

What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tikkii, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 23

I started to get pain my finger 5 or 6 days ago, I thought ingrown nail at first, but then pain starting get out of control, and the whole tip of my finger swelled good, and smooth, didn't even look like my finger tip. Then yesterday when I went to school I asked my teacher his opinion, since now the finger was turning yellow all around the nail, that is when he told me that its paronychia. So I looked it up and tried my own home remedies. I lanced it, squeezed out about half a teaspoon of pus, and then held the finger in peroxide for 20 minutes. I also did the peroxide 2 more times that day, and at night my finger was huge and swollen but didn't hurt. This morning it did not hurt when I woke up and inflammation went down a bit but also feels like it is on fire when I touch my face. So about to finally go to the doctor, don't let it wait too long.

Comment from: StillSick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My bout of gastroenteritis started Thursday while I was at work. I felt fine at 7 AM and started feeling sick at 8:00. This stuff hits fast! I had to grab my desk trash can and projectile vomited in it a few times until I felt a little better. I immediately drove home and continued projectile vomiting for the next 2 hours. I had chills, body aches and a little diarrhea. Luckily, I hadn't had much to eat the night before, otherwise I think that would have been worse. The vomiting stopped after 2 hours, but it is now Sunday night and I am still weak. I also still feel nauseous at various times, although I haven't had any vomiting.

Comment from: SRINIVASH, Published: September 16

I developed a pulmonary embolism in January 2015. For a period of 10 days it could not be diagnosed, even by a senior cardiologist. He made me undergo several tests including treadmill, echo, ECG, and CT scan and I did not want to go for treadmill as I am not in a position to walk properly, yet he made me run on it. I could not walk/run for a few seconds. After 2 days I was admitted to the hospital, the duty doctor who was a simple MBBS identified from the symptoms and supplied oxygen. With the advice of the hospital's senior doctors the treatment was started. Within a week I was perfect, though it was too late to identify from the symptoms. I was not able to walk even a few steps, had breathing problem and could not stand up in the wash room. There was no severe chest pain. It is my humble request to the viewers/readers not to take this disease lightly, as it can end up in losing one's life. Contact the physician immediately.

Comment from: Cupienana, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I have high blood pressure, but recently became very ill, facing diarrhea and getting weaker and weaker. After four days, I was so weak I and had to give in and call an ambulance and go to a hospital. I had severe sepsis, E. coli and serious dehydration. I was dismissed from the hospital after 10 days and my blood pressure dropped to both under 100 and my pulse in the 40s. I got no stronger. In my return visit to my cardiologist (when I was still very weak, and 5 weeks after my most recent hospitalization) I now had critically-low potassium level. I had taken potassium prescription to counteract loss of potassium due to taking Lasix to prevent congestive heart failure. Increased potassium prescription treatment has resulted in my feeling better than I have in months, but my high blood pressure has returned to 166/106, pulse 60 and I do feel stronger!

Comment from: Cherie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I began having trouble with intolerance to cold and heat, but mostly cold. I would also wake up with near extreme night sweats to where I would have to change my gown. I had trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep; low energy, an all over weak feeling as if I had low blood pressure, dizziness, and memory problems. I would also get these weird tingly sensations down my arms and legs and part of my body. I had hand tremors that varied from light to ridiculous. My hair, when in health, was fine and thick. By the time I finally got medical attention, my hair was course and thinning fast. I also had a lump or swelling in my neck. Often, in the area of my thyroid there was pain to the touch (on a scale 1 to 10, usually 1 to 4). I had trouble getting my doctor to do anything about it. When I found out that I could go to a specialist without his referral, I went on my own (much to his chagrin afterwards). My TSH was low, and I took the medicine for 3 months. Upon my follow-up, my ENT specialist took me off it because it raised my levels too high from the lowest dose he had prescribed. All this happened in September 2012 to April 2013. Oh, by the way, the ultrasound revealed nodules in my thyroid, biopsies were benign. The specialist said he would just watch it. After all this, the night sweats, temperature intolerance, memory stuff all but went away or stopped. Then fall of 2015, night sweats began again, I finally just butchered my hair because it looked so ragged. The swelling never did go away, nor did the on and off again soreness, but my TSH levels were always normal. And the temperature intolerance began, so I went to my new doctor. I just had another ultrasound, lots of nodules this time, TSH levels still normal, so now it's off to the biopsies again.

Comment from: Joselyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

When you have hyperthyroidism you must go to an endocrinologist immediately. Don't let anyone who doesn't specialize treat you. I was diagnosed with elevated levels and got immediate treatment. It's a long process to recovery, but you will save your thyroid and lead a normal life, medicine-free, one day. Many of my friends were convinced to remove their thyroid and have lifelong issues.

Comment from: Ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I pulled hamstring while doing an exercises for sciatica. Sciatica is a big nerve which I pinched while working. I am a material handler. The pinch is gone but now have to get rid of the pulled hamstring.

Comment from: maui22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I've been suffering from hyperthyroidism for about 6 years now. It started with bad gastrointestinal issues (nausea, heartburn, constipation, and intense stomach pain) and muscle pains and aches. I was in and out of the doctor's office all through college, but they were never able to figure it out. I was put on a lot of different medications (pain pills, stomach motility pills, and constipation relieving pills), but nothing ever worked. I struggled with anorexia all through that time because I was so nauseous all the time, I didn't eat normally. The problems never really went away and then about 2 months ago, things started getting even worse. I developed headaches and body aches that wouldn't go away with any OTC pain reliever. I started sweating all the time and became even more nauseous. My heart rate began to average 80 bpm when it was normally around 50 bpm. I finally went back to the doctor when I felt like my throat was closing up when I was teaching a group exercise class and I couldn't breathe. I have now been diagnosed with Graves' disease. I have started taking methimazole and metoprolol, but am considering surgery to remove the entire thyroid. It may be a more extreme choice, but I am so desperate to feel better, it is worth the risk. I am hoping that we have now found an answer to all of the issues I've experienced over the years.

Comment from: BH, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am now 32 years old. When I was 25 the carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) in my right hand was so bad I had pains all the way up to my shoulder, and I lost feeling in my thumb, pointer, middle and half the ring finger. It also felt as if I had I ring around my middle finger. I had the release done at 25 and they found a cyst in the tunnel and removed it. So far it has been fine until about a month ago. I also have CTS in my left and had a shot of cortisone back when I was 25, but recently I have started to have the same symptoms in my left hand as I did in my right. I think overworking my right hand to take it easy on my left is making my right hand sore. I had 2 shots of cortisone in my left wrist within the last 2.5 months. I do not want the surgery but maybe it's just a cyst, who knows. CTS is a horrible thing.

Comment from: johndoe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

My Graves' disease was discovered during routine blood work one year ago where the doctor included TSH levels. I wrote the symptoms of it off as aging, and aches and pains from my very physical job as a welder/fabricator in the steel industry. As I looked over the symptoms, I realized that I experience every one of them except the female symptoms. Tomorrow I go to receive my radio-iodine treatment, because the methimazole prescribed is not bringing my TSH levels down to normal range. After that I think it is time to seek out an education of how to manage this disease such as, dietary needs, and how to live with it. I am more disappointed about a lack of information in my case, than anything else involving it.

Comment from: Gioia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with thyrotoxicosis 3 years ago, I was on Neomercazole and then it was reduced. Now the symptoms of hyperthyroidism are back; all the tiredness, depression, irritation, and increase in appetite, but this time I gained weight not like last year where I lost 22 kg. Now when I take the medicine, I feel terrible pain in my stomach and I stopped taking the medicine by myself.

Comment from: not to worry..., (Patient) Published: August 11

For all of you that are freaking out, not to worry. It has been 25 years since I was told I had Graves' disease and hyperthyroidism. I had the radioactive treatment and my thyroid was destroyed. I have been on several generic and brand name medications to keep me in check. The doses change as you get older, but I get a blood test every 6 months and stay on top of it. Other than being tied to a pill bottle for the rest of your life, it is really not a big deal.

Comment from: danielleling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

In March 2014 I started sweating and having heat intolerance, I would take a shower, get ready for work, and before I was done I was all sweaty again. I had shaky knees and hands, my heart raced, and I dropped 25 lb. in 2 1/2 months. I was out of breath and tired but couldn't sleep and the worst part was I got a migraine that kicked my butt for 2 months. I worked 10 days total in a 30, period. After several Instacare and emergency room visits to try and treat the migraine, nothing worked. Finally my obstetrician/gynecologist tested me and my levels were horrible and I had hyperthyroid. I saw an endocrinologist and he says my migraine and hyperthyroidism are not related I know they are. Within two days of being on methimazole, it was gone. After two months I felt I had my life back. Now I have a scan in 7 days and have to be off the methimazole for 2 weeks within 4 days of stopping it my migraine came back and has kicked me and each day it gets worse. I just want to feel normal again. Counting down the days for my scan (7 more days) and to get answers.

Comment from: Raquelap, Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism about a month ago and I was prescribed levothyroxine to help regulate my hormones. All that seems to be happening is my symptoms are getting worse. All I do is sleep! All I wanna do is sleep. At first all I wanted to do was eat but now the thought of eating makes me feel sick. I get weird rashes on my arms and the back my hands are starting to bruise. I get really hot and start to sweat. My neck is swollen right where my thyroids are. I'm extremely irritable. I let my doctor know what was going on so now all I have to do is wait to hear back from him. I hope things will get better because I feel really bad. :-(

Comment from: skrause, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid a few years ago and have been regulated for about 1 1/2 years but in August went hyper again. My TSH was .131. My medications were changed (lowered) and I just received another test and the TSH is now .016 so I am lowering my medications but going more hyper. I will see the doctor today to find out why, since he said my thyroid was basically dead because it had been inactive for so long. I am not sure why the levels are changing. One thing to note hyperthyroid does not always mean weight loss. I have gained weight both times I have gone hyper.

Comment from: goddedeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had 3 operations to remove cysts from my thyroid at ages 7, 11, and 17. I'm now 28 years old with the latest cyst diagnosed. Started on Neomercazole 20 mg three times a day and need heart medication too.

Comment from: Silent Thyroiditis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with painless / silent thyroiditis, which is similar to postpartum thyroiditis – only I'm a male. Life was bad – I was always dizzy, my mental cognition was low, I was sweating all the time, confused, had insomnia, fatigue, exercise intolerance, and depression. I was prescribed atenolol to manage the symptoms. No antithyroid medications were prescribed, as this apparently is a temporary inflammation. The atenolol made me feel worse – groggy, sleepy, etc. I stopped taking it and have managed the symptoms by reducing stress, eating extremely healthy, and surrounding myself with positive people and stories to get the serotonin flowing, along with no alcohol or caffeine. I'm slowly starting to feel better, but still nowhere near where I was three months ago. But things are getting better.

Comment from: donna w, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Removed my thyroid now I am going through blood tests after blood test after changing medicines. My body has not recognized that my thyroid is gone. It is still producing at three times more than before. My blood is now thick and i need to be on blood thinners, my heart rate is 250. I feel like i am going crazy with the mood swings. All the doctors are doing is keep changing the meds. I am at my wits end. The doc says i am so sick i can have a heart attack any minute. Just don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: hagendaz, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 30

My symptoms started with heart palpitations, chest pain, fatigue, diminished sexual drive. That's when I started thinking something was wrong. Suddenly I got a lump on my throat that suddenly swelled up like a golf ball size on left side of throat. It never bothered me in anyway, but it was there. I ignored it for four years, until my sexual drive got so bad. I had to know what was going on. Presently waiting for bi-op app. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Haley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I started having palpitations, heat intolerance, loose stools, and feeling shaky. It was seven months after that when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I lost 10 pounds within a month. I am on heart pills to control my fast heart rate and to normalize my rhythm. I was just started on methimazole. It is a terrible disease! It is such a small gland, but it can screw up your whole body and spirit.

Comment from: Anup, 35-44 Male Published: August 16

I myself dont know since when I had thyroid. Weigh loss was my major symptom. Tries increasing my appetite and have tried everything like weight gain antibiotics as well to increase my weight but all failed. Came down to 42 kgs with my neck narrowed, eyes were hardly visible, bumb flat, Legs like hockey stick etc. Finally came down to all sorts of tests but all avail. Finally one physician looking at my eyes suggested for my thyroid test on a trial & error basis. Bingo and then finally landed up in medication for thyroid. Today I'm of average weight and medicines to be continued for the rest of my like else thyroid level shall fluctuate.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My primary care physician called me and told me that my thyroid levels were 28. I've been on 50MCG of generic for Synthroid for many years and she is increasing my dose to 125mcg. I am a Type 2 diabetic and take Metformin 2 times a day, I have an IGG immune deficiency in which I do SubQ treatments once a week for the rest of my life, plus I'm also taking 10mg of Lipitor.

Comment from: blackqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I suffer from constipation, sweating, difficulty in remembering names, and depression. I can't sleep and have lost so much weight that I embarrassed. My coworkers wonder what is wrong. This is a horrible thing to have. My doctor just put me on methimazole until I see a specialist. Some days I don't even eat. Other days, eating is all I do and then it makes me feel like throwing up. I just wish I could be back to normal.

Comment from: Suzgoatfan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

This is my 3rd bout of hyperthyroidism in 10 years. I gain weight every time, have hand tremors more so on my right hand. I also feel aggravated, memory issues, body pain, and slight vision changes. I am taking 10 mg of Methimazole once a day, but still feeling jumpy. My heart rate and BP is normal this time around. I am wondering why I'm hyper after 3 years of being normal.

Comment from: edfunked64, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism many years ago my doctor prescribed me to take neo-mercazole 20 mg together with 5 mg of amlodipine, calcium and 10 mg of propranolol. I take neo-mercazole and amlodipine after breakfast and take calcium together with propranolol. I take this medicine for about 4 years now and it calm all symptoms that I have before hope it can help all who will read this.

Comment from: Cam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I have been diagnosed with Grave's disease for eight years now and have been on Tapazole for the entire time. I recently got a second opinion and was taken off the medication to see if I would be in remission, but I was not. The medication helps but I still have heart palpitations, night sweats, heat intolerance, and fatigue. It's manageable but I do notice the symptoms are worse when I am under stress, even good stress like a new exercise program. I found I can go on long walks and hikes and be ok but anything else puts my immune system under attack. I found listening to my body and trying to keep a steady pace helps but not always easy in this world.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in September 2009. The symptoms were swelling of my legs and excessive tiredness and inability to even remember people's names. I am now on thyroid reduction medication that has not been able to help. I am not seeking help as I do lose energy even early in the morning I wake up tired.

Comment from: lovely, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had tremors and some mild skin flush. No problems sleeping, eating or losing weight. My Aunt has the same problem. I did have some strange dreams at the being of the med. methimazole. Within 2 months my dose drops from 20mg to 5 mg once daily. I'm going off the med. in 2 days. I feel like myself again. Hopeful it stays in remission.

Comment from: mmandnoodle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have all of the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, to the T...My blood test however came back with a "normal" TSH of 2.14 and all other scales normal EXCEPT my testosterone was LOW at 6, beginning low range = 8. Also show low end of T3 uptake and Low End of Free Thyroxine Index.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was misdiagnosed as suffering from asthma notwithstanding weighing in at 32 kilos at the age of 30. Ventolin drove me mad on top of thyrotoxicosis symptoms. Eventually once diagnosed the medication made me crazy, as if I was not crazy enough already! Surgery did the trick, remove the diseased gland, I still have one left, it has tumors on it but they have been biopsied and are benign. No medication, life is great!

Comment from: allshookup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I have been recently diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I have lost 25 lbs. in a month. I have severe shaking all over my body. Sweats, low energy at times and major frustration.

Comment from: fynness, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroidism about 2 weeks ago. I have been feeling ill for about 4 months. I had an inner ear infection, then I was getting blurred vision and headaches. I was also suffering from severe anxiety and depression. I am 52 so my doctor thought it was menopause. I was sweating and shaking and thought I was going insane. I went back to the doctor because everything was getting worse. My palms were also very red. As sooon as he saw my palms he ordered a thyroid test and the result was thyrotoxicosis. Ihave been on carbimasole for over a week and I am feeling a bit better, but still very fatigued. I have lost about 30lbs. I hope I am on the road to recovery. Take care.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I got Hyperthyroidism or Graves Disease at a very young age (14) I was very sick. My doctor prescribed many different drugs and none of them worked. At the age of 16 I had radioactive iodine injections. This was the only thing that worked for me. I am now pushing 40 and take Synthroid to regulate my thyroid and all is good.

Comment from: Lauren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

3 weeks of taking 40mg/day of methimazole, I developed hives. They randomly occurred on the bottom of my feet, my knees, hips, elbows, on my palms, and on the backs of my hands. The itching would change every day, a different area. The 1st day my scalp was also covered in hives. Dr suggested lowering my dosage and Benadryl every 4 hours until the hives stopped. Days later the hives were gone, but I was bed-ridden. My allergy turned into arthalgias: a form of arthritis where there's no inflammation, just severe joint pain. It's a different series of joints everyday: right now it's my L shoulder, R knee, R wrist, and L ankle. My parents are literally helping me to the bathroom! Now I'm on Celebrex and switched to PTU. Hope I'm not allergic to that.

Comment from: Ben, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I self-diagnosed hyperthyroidism in 2007. T4 levels were around 47 (upper limit of "normal" is 22). I used Neomercazole to initially level the levels but later used only homeopathic preparations (e.g Natura's Struma 1). My levels now (2011) remain within the normal range by continual monitoring and trying to live a balanced life. There seems to be little knowledge regarding alternative methods of treatment - conventional approached can be very drastic - e.g radioactive iodine.

Comment from: Lauren, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Three weeks of taking 40mg/day of methimazole, I developed hives. They randomly occurred on the bottom of my feet, backs of my knees, fronts of my knees, hip bones, backs of elbows, fronts of elbows, on my palms, and on the backs of my hands. The itching would change every day, a different area. The first day my scalp was also covered in hives. My dr suggested lowering my dosage and Benadryl every four hours until the hives stopped. Three days later the hives were gone, but I was bed-ridden. My allergy turned into arthalgias: a form of arthritis where there's no inflammation, just severe joint pain. It's a different series of joints everyday: right now it's my left shoulder, right knee, right wrist, and left ankle. My parents are literally helping me to the bathroom! Now I'm on celebrex and switched to PTU. Hope I'm not allergic to that.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

The consultant prescribed Carbimazole tablets for my treatment and it was supposed to go on for a year and a half. I started with 3 tablets then 2 and now I take only one tablet 5mg. I feel better and most of the symptoms disappeared except a few like the skin dryness, irregular monthly period, and feeling dizzy and sometimes feeling heat or sweating. My general health has improved since starting my medication.

Comment from: Angie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was put on 5 mg of Methimazole am now taking 1/2 pill every other day for toxic goiter thyroid nodules. I discovered after surgery called the Whipple Procedure for cancer of the pancreas TSH was extremely low.

Comment from: Hyperthyroid man, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My hyperthyroid is normal right now. Thankfully the medicine I ate called propylthiouracil sort my problem. Four (5mg) tablets each day. Stress is the reason I got hyperthyroid. Hopefully one day I can live without eating the medicine anymore. Slow and steady.

Comment from: Rebi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

Where do I begin? I have hair loss, sweating all day, rapid heartbeat. No sleep, never sleep, nervous legs and arms, palms are sweaty, joints swell, no sleep at all I can go days without sleep even if I take a sleeping pill. Nervous - restless arms and legs during the night. No strength or energy, period stopped, depression, confusion, low concentration, double vision, rash on arms and leg (ringworm like) anxiety and trouble breathing. No motivation. Just started taking Trapzole my 1st day. Cannot wait for it to kick in!!

Comment from: LaneyGirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

My hyperthyroidism was diagnosed as Grave's Disease. Treatment is tapazole, which is a tough drug for my body to assimilate.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter