Patient Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Misha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I've felt lightheaded, dizzy, out of breath and I've had rapid resting heart rate for months. Initially I thought I was hypoglycemic or really out of breath. However, just a few weeks ago my condition worsened and I suddenly became extremely anxious and depressed (so much so that suicide has crossed my mind few times). I also started experiencing panic attacks, couldn't sleep, started having heart palpitations, I have to go to the bathroom all the time, I have no energy, I'm constantly out of breath, my legs and arms feel like Jell-O, my hair is falling out, and I've developed eczema; basically, if there is a hyperthyroid symptom, I have it. It's been such a difficult journey because I'm normally a very happy, outgoing and determined person. I feel like I'm not myself anymore. I'm a graduate student and it's so hard to explain to my professors that what I'm suffering from is not regular anxiety but is actually caused by a physical medical condition. The hardest part however is trying to do things that normally make me very happy like hanging out with friends, teaching or analyzing literature and just feeling nothing. No happiness, just a constant feeling of hopelessness. This condition is ruining my life. I even had to quit my job as a teaching assistant (which I adored) because I would get panic attacks in the middle of class or need to throw up. If it wasn't for my loving boyfriend's support I don't know if I could keep going. I still have more tests to do before I can start my treatment (whether it be taking pills or getting radiation therapy).

Comment from: loops, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a year ago, it hasn't been an easy year, been really tough. My emotions are all over the place and I can barely keep them under control. I have crazy mood swings. I'm tired all the time, I oversleep a lot, I just can't find the energy to get up in the mornings no matter how hard I try, and it is more difficult being a mother to a 2 year old. My body hurts more than ever. I can barely close my hands in the mornings, they feel so weak I don't have the strength. My heart races so much I can't get my own heart to slow down. I can walk around and do simple things and my heart feels like I just ran a marathon. I hate having the feeling that now my wellbeing and my heart rely on medicine. I feel like I can't live without it. I want to feel normal again. I miss what my life used to be like before all of this started. I get overwhelmed with this situation and I don't know what to do anymore. It feels like no matter who I talk to they just don't understand although they say they do. It feels like I'm about to lose my relationship because he doesn't understand my situation or the way I feel. Everybody tells me to tough it out but it's difficult. Easy for them to say when they don't know what I'm feeling. I'm getting tired of living this way. I'm really thinking about surgery, but I'm not so sure if that will fix anything. I just want to be a healthy mother for my son.

Comment from: Tek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I was diagnosed in 2009 with hyperthyroidism. At the time I was five months pregnant which made the situation even more devastating. My symptoms were rapid heartbeat, nervousness, headache, vomiting, severe depression, hot flashes, sweating, tremors and panic attacks. The worst part of it was when my child moved in my stomach I felt like I wanted to faint. On delivery day I went unconscious for 6 hours but thankfully I gave birth to a beautiful little girl. This is indeed a terrible sickness.

Comment from: Danna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

It took 2 years to get the correct diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. I suffered terribly before finding out what was wrong. I couldn't sleep, because I had hot flashes that were so hot, I thought I was in an oven at 750 degrees. I slept 3 or 4 hours a night for 2 years before I got on medicine. In those 2 years I had such extreme foot/ankle/calf pain. I couldn't get out of the bed in the morning without holding onto the dresser for support. Finally, when I just started falling asleep at work I switched doctors and found out I had hyperthyroid, Graves' disease. My first doctor kept telling me it was menopause. She prescribed antidepressants which I refused to take. I knew I was really sick, but I think she just didn't get it. I became very foggy in the brain, had memory loss and confusion. It felt like my brain was swimming along the bottom of a murky lake. At the same time, I became very obsessive. I just kept talking about the same thing over and over, and I ran my charge card up to the moon. I was obsessive in buying things. It took over a year to lose the obsessiveness after getting the correct medicine, methimazole. My feet and ankles would blow up too, they looked like Herman Munster feet. Other times they would just get swollen. I had to stop working, because I couldn't function anymore. Now I am on medicine for 2 years. I've developed double vision. I switched doctors again. I am grateful to the family doctor who figured out what was wrong, but I am now seeing a thyroid specialist. I may be going for surgery. Will see. As of now, I have mood swings, get depressed because I do not feel well. I still hurt all over, but not as bad. I'm tired and have no energy. My hair is falling out. And I have horrible anxiety. And I can't lose the 55 lb. that I gained. I never was sick. So having this is very depressing. I just wish I could be normal again and not feel so terrible all the time.

Comment from: Maggie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 27 and this all started a couple of years ago. I had a checkup (no tests done, no health insurance and we are poor) and the doctor strongly advised I get help soon because she said hyperthyroidism looked to be the problem. I have always had insomnia and trouble staying asleep. High anxiety, high blood pressure, very irritable, no appetite, nausea, always sweaty hands, itching, using the bathroom a ton, hair falling out, tremors, joint pain, lost 50 lb. very fast, headaches, super bad memory, and very emotional. I hate being alive.

Comment from: sanju, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I have had hyperthyroidism since 4 years and taking 75 mcg Eltroxin tablet to start with, for 2 years I took 50 mcg, then went down to 25mcg and again came back to 75 mcg. I am worried why my thyroid is not reducing and weight gain is not happening. It is constant since last 4 years i.e., 31 kg weight and I am facing more breast pain and that part will get hard always. I am 24 year old and working.

Comment from: Praha, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Because of hyperthyroidism, I lost my weight, experienced severe hunger, loss of sleepiness, and severe skin itching.

Comment from: Miraclemaker11, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I've had symptoms of subclinical hypothyroidism for the past 3 years. I was initially placed on Synthroid (with partial benefit) and then Cytomel (T3) about a year ago. I started feeling tired, had headaches, etc., about 6 months ago, but I wrote it off as just being due to stress. Then beginning mid-July of this year I had a spell consisting of sudden onset rapid heartbeat, sweating, dizziness, shortness of breath, and dehydration. Lab work revealed that I am now in hyperthyroidism. I've since had two trips to the emergency room (ER) with very similar symptoms. I'm off the Cytomel and my thyroid levels are improving but I'm still having these episodes. I take propranolol 20 mg twice daily to regulate some of the symptoms and Xanax as needed for the anxiety. This is absolutely insane. I'll see a cardiologist to get evaluated in September but I think that this is primarily endocrine related. I see that we are not alone and my heart goes out to all of you. Thank you for sharing.

Comment from: hopefulatlast, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was just told by my new primary care doctor that I have hyperthyroidism. I went to see him last week with severe neck pain in my lower neck. I have been out of work since last year, trying to find out why I suddenly had severe tremors, numbness, tingling and loss of feeling down my right side. I had Bell's palsy as well as a loss of speech and memory, along with some other issues. This is the first time my TSH came back anything but normal. Thing is I haven't lost any weight, despite eating well. And my hair and skin are fine. Blood pressure was good till about mid-February of this year. Then diastolic went nuts. I'm thinking that the thyroid might be just the end result of something else. No history of thyroid issues in the family either. I have an appointment with the specialist in September.

Comment from: Moudsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) and prescribed levothyroxine. I weighed 116 and in 6 months (and heartburn) I was down to 111 and she lowered the dose to the lowest one. Three more months and I"m down to 101. I was constantly in the bathroom and then got sick - and had nothing to fight it with; all nutrients were being flushed 6 times a day! I had bronchitis, then had a reaction to the antibiotic and hey, now I"m diagnosed with overactive thyroid! I will never take any more of these medications. I still feel lousy and am down to 90 lb.

Comment from: ann029, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I was 16 years old when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and until now, that is 21 years old, I still have this disease. For 5 years I've always been visiting the doctors and had a lot of tests. I don't know when this will end because sometimes it disappears then sometimes returns. I easily get tired and I my heart beats fast. My hands sweat a lot and it's so embarrassing when I get to shake hands with other people. Then there is this bulgy eyes which is what I hate the most because my eyes were not like this before, so people used to bully me that I have a big eyes so this makes me sad.

Comment from: gapster, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism one year ago. I have all the signs, rapid heart, pounding heart, shaky, sweats on exertion, anxiety, erratic blood pressure, etc. I lost 22 pounds in one month. I went on methimazole and it has keep my symptoms under control for 8 months now. But what I want people to know (that no doctor ever has talked to me about) is my first major attack came after eating a huge plate of shrimp. I have heard others say that after eating large quantities of shellfish has brought on a major episode. I now avoid any foods that contain large amounts of iodine. Also, a nurse told me a very high percentage of people with this condition are gluten intolerant. Hope this helps someone. This is indeed an awful disease.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

With hyperthyroidism I am experiencing excessive itchiness all over. I had my thyroid removed and gained a lot of weight. I was put on Synthroid but didn't lose the weight and had low energy. I switched to Naturethroid and take it for T3 and T4. I am now experiencing (besides the crazy itchiness) gastro-intestinal problems, lack of energy, and anxiety. I am wondering if these, especially the itching, are symptoms. My doctor doesn't seem to think so but this began happening when I switched medications.

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had severe headaches and tremors. No pain medication could fix the headaches. I also experienced hair loss, some weight loss and a deeper voice. The headaches were my main concern and most publications don't list headaches as a major symptom of hyperthyroidism, so I thought I had a brain tumor. I was relieved when I found out what it was. Now after reading all of these posts I am not sure how lucky I am.

Comment from: Gainor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I have been treated for hypothyroidism for about 15 years. I leveled on 150 mcg ten years ago, but in the past two years, the levels went up to top of normal. My doctor left it there because of my terrible issues with pain, fatigue - fibromyalgia syndrome. He was afraid to lower it. Meanwhile, I had to go on several rounds of prednisone because of bad energy crashes that occurred with the least change in activity. I developed heat intolerance and exercise intolerance. A trip to the grocery store for a couple things puts me in bed for three days. I have only been out of bed for 5 days since Thanksgiving Day - 6 weeks! Three weeks ago my TSH dropped below normal while T4 went up. It was worse last week. So the doctor is starting me on lower dose of Armour natural replacement. I believe my pain, fatigue, depression, irritability were all due to high thyroid whipping my body, wiping out cortisone levels. We'll see, with this new dose and type.

Comment from: lil roziee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I feel weak and confused, I shake and I am depressed. Just recently I started getting a rash all over and I have neck pain and can't sleep... I just had a nuclear medical scan. I am waiting for the results so I can get my surgery done. This is all new to me, a very scary experience. I was on methimazole and got a rash; twice! I hope this surgery relieves these symptoms. I've been like this since May. I want to finally be able to relax and sleep.

Comment from: Papoose, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 18

My experience has been firstly embarrassing! Looking at my face one would have thought that I had been someone's punching bag. My top and lower eyelids bulged terribly. My hair fell out till I was bald. I lost 60lbs. My heart raced a mile a minute. My blood pressure was 157bpm. I had shortness of breath. I coughed all night long. I developed asthma and wheeze like crazy.

Comment from: Fran, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I lost weight, had flushes and unusual sweating which I never had before. I also had loose bowels. I also had C-diff (Clostridium difficile) which I caught in the hospital, so they related the weight loss and all other symptoms to the C-diff. Finally, blood work showed TSH was low. Next week, I will be going to a thyroid specialist. I Hope I get my weight back. It's frightening when some fatal diseases have the same symptoms.

Comment from: Nakita, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm always tired; I eat everything and anything and keep losing weight. My resting heartbeat is 150 per minute. I have a lot of nausea always vomiting. I have no energy for anything. I got diagnosed with hyperthyroid 3 years ago when I was 17 going on 18 and since then I've been to 7 endocrinologists and no one can seem to slow it down. I go every six weeks and every time it is faster then before. My eyes got bigger. I'm shaky fatigued, moody, and my hair thinned out

Comment from: Madam butterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 46 year old and I've been suffering for years, with Graves' disease. I had no clue what was wrong with me. I went to the emergency many times over the years and kept getting misdiagnosed, and sent back home to suffer. Finally I had a thyroid storm, and I almost died. I was in ICU for 3 days, and now I am on PTU (propylthiouracil) 2.50 mg 3 times daily, 40 mg propanol 3 times a day, anxiety medicines and also sleep medicines. My doctor wants me to stay on medications for 18 months but I can't get a straight answer as to why. I feel terrible.

Comment from: Rosalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am a senior citizen who has an overactive thyroid. The problem I am having is I go from overactive to under active. I go back and forth. My weight is pretty stable, but I get itchy all over sometimes. The endocrinologist has a hard time because I keep going back and forth from under active to overactive. I feel I am too old to be overactive. Most women my age are under active. I just cannot figure out why I have this problem at my age. I do have Graves' disease. My eyes are bulging.

Comment from: sobe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I had a heart rate of 196 and was admitted to intensive care unit for heart. After all the testing they found it was hyperthyroidism. I was given a double dose of the radioactive iodine. I weighed 128 pounds at the time and went to 200 pounds in about 1 year. I have never got my weight down or my life back. I am on Synthroid medication for over 9 years and no relief as of yet.

Comment from: joy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2010 and have been taking carbimazole 5 mg to date. I started by taking 12 tablets per day but now am taking 1 tablet on alternate day, sometimes my thyroid level is normal sometimes it is high. But I believe it will stabilize one day.

Comment from: nidhi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I came to know about hyperthyroidism when I had a blood test three months ago. My weight has been decreasing day by day, so I consulted a doctor. Now I am totally dependent on thyroid pills which I take every day in the morning two hours before eating. I think my condition is slightly improving.

Comment from: lucy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have no energy and am cold all the time. I was told I have high thyroid.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed 2 wks go my symptoms are excessive weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweats. I can deal w/everything but weakness my Dr took me off work for a week up methizole to 20mg.

Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in March '08. I lost approximately 80 pounds in three months. I was experiencing hot flashes, tremors, fatigue, protruding eye sockets, and swollen neck glands. My doctor told me that I had Grave's disease, and after I had a thyroid scan, I was told that it was 92.7% overactive and that I had to have radioactive treatment to shrink the thyroid gland. I had to stay away from everyone for three days including my children. I am better now.

Published: June 30

I experienced tremors and a pulse of 130. I was jumpy, I felt like my body was electric, and I had aching arms and legs. I was on the Weight Watchers diet, so I assumed the weight loss was due to the diet. Also, I would wake up in the middle of the night, not being able to go back to sleep, and I had night sweats. (I never sweat!)

Published: June 30

I have excessive sweating, even after I've showered. I don't like to get out much because as soon as I'm getting ready I start sweating; I'm really self-conscious of this. I have a rapid heart rate and have shortness of breath. I feel very fatigued and can't find the energy to do much of anything.

Published: June 30

5 years ago the classic symptoms began. Within months I went from 128 lbs. to 92 lbs. Insomnia, depression, irritability, increased heart rate (130 bpm). My normal was 62 bpm. increased sweating, shaky, clammy hands, leg pain, severe dry eyes, terrible anxiety,1yr. after initial symptoms. I developed acne on every inch of my body. Strange lesions would clear up after 1 wk. every month the lesions returned. It took over 1 yr. of tests, until graves disease was confirmed. After 2 yrs. of methimazole proved ineffective.I-131 ablation (RAI) was administered. My endocrinologist had me wait 1 yr. before any further tests. to allow the RAI to do its work. 1 yr. later my TSH was 5.3? I began Synthroid, months later I began feeling hyperthyroid symptoms. Recently changed Dr., lesions poss. pretibial myxedema? TSH levels drastically change. Losing hope, I feel crazy. These hyper episodes are destructive. I fear losing my fiancee, friends, and job. It affects everything. Currently going through hyper episode, skin lesions, severe insomnia, erratic behavior. Avoiding everything and alone & scared. How does one live this way. I am not the same person. I hope my Dr. or anyone can help.

Published: June 27

I was always overly active. I had so much of energy and my palms use to sweat a lot. At first it started with a swelling in one eye. Then after I stated taking the medications I had a rash on my leg which up to today no one is able to figure out why or how. My heart rate was fast and I'm always nervous. Increased bowel movements and I could never rest.

Published: June 25

I felt like I was going crazy! Tremors, severe muscle cramps of legs then also arms, fatigue and exhaustion with insomnia, eye pressure (goldfish eyes), body aches, palpitations, loose bowel movements, some weight loss, I was told I was extremely irritable, impatient and rude although I myself did not recognize this as it was happening, periods of fragmented thought with difficulty putting thoughts and words together, difficulty concentrating, cotton mouth-thirst and frequent urination.

Published: June 25

My symptoms came on quickly. I felt horrible. It started with really BAD gas, and I had to go to the bathroom all the time. If I would eat 10 minutes later I would be in the john. I lost 50 in two months, but I was eating everything and anything. I also had a very rapid heart rate, and I could not catch my breath. My resting heart rate was 130 beats per minute. I had very bad headaches, I was losing my hair, and I seemed like I always had "extra" saliva in my throat. My voice got rattly. I was really sick.

Published: June 25

I wake up nervous in the morning. I feel very nervous at times. I feel my body is vibrating. I take trazodone to help me sleep.

Published: June 25

My mom has been complaining of constant fatigue despite the healthy lifestyle she leads with at least 5 times a week of exercise. She has heat intolerance, diarrhea and a drastic weight loss. It worries me to see her condition. Recently she has been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder which I have yet to be informed of. It'd be great if I could get advice on what to eat and avoid.

Published: June 19

I noted night sweats for some time, tremors and some anxiety. After finally being diagnosed with a heart attack, I noted palpitations often, increased tremors, general joint discomfort and a tremendous amount of weight loss, sleeplessness, and persistent fatigue. After a year of MD visits, I was finally found to be hyperthyroid - I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. Methimazole treatment was unsuccessful after 18 months resulting in radioactive iodine treatment. I've just started levothyroxine and just trust, this will make me feel human again.

Published: June 10

Large lump on left side of neck, palpations and irregular heartbeat, hair falling out in patches, dry skin--cracks on fingertips and toes and heels, can't sing high notes, heat intolerance, poor vision, poor memory and concentration, always tired but have a hard time falling and staying asleep without meds, hands shake something fierce.

Published: June 09

Tremors, head pain, achy joints, dizziness, weakness in arms, spasms in my thyroid, eye pain, poor concentration, difficulty speaking, argumentive, difficulty in staying asleep, tired, poor muscle strength.

Published: June 09

I just had a hair transplant 9 months ago and my hair should be quite longer but it is not. I went to my doctor and he said I have an over active thyroid. I am going for an x ray tomorrow.

Published: June 09

I have had hyperthyroidism for two years I have great days then I can have a really bad week I have gotten used to this my medication causes constipation my neck is in constant pain and sometimes my throat really burns but I do also feel worse when Iam stressed or due for my period which has recently stopped all together. Life can be good if you eat healthy use flouride free toothpaste as flouride can aggravate the thyroid and drink bottled water.

Published: June 09

Low TSH in blood test. Excessive sweating, intolerance to heat, some tremors, rapid heart rate.

Published: June 05

I was so sleepy I slept some days for 15 to 22 hours. I had no energy I was always angry it seemed and I was very weak in my arms and legs. My vision became very poor and was very blurry. My joints in my shoulders, wrists and knees were painful, but the tiredness was the worst by far.

Published: June 04

I had cancer and my thyroid glands were removed when I was thirty. I have been on medication ever since. I am now experiencing depression, cannot sleep, irritability among other symptoms. Is it possible my medication needs changing?

Published: June 04

I experience heat intolerance, tremors in my hands, sore throat that I had more than a few months already whenever I ask the doctor he tells me it is nothing and drink some alcohol to calm the tremors it's not good advice.

Published: June 02

Rapid heart beat, sweating, heat intolerance, pain down left arm. Throat sore things I eat do not taste.

Published: May 27

I experienced extreme intolerance to heat, excessive sweating, increased bowel movements, extreme fatigue and muscle weakness, rapid heart rate, shortness of breath, and tremors.

Published: May 23

My symptoms included horrible joint pain (hands, wrists, shoulder, knees), and painfull thyroid pain. My Pain was relieved by taking Motrin.

Published: July 07

I didn't feel normal at all. I was unable to climb the stairs, very nervous (especially talking to other people), shortness of breath, had little strength, double vision, watery eyes, tiredness, unable to sleep, felt sick and memory loss. I still experience memory loss.

Published: July 02

I experienced crankiness, extreme sweating, insomnia, lose of appetite, fatigue, light-headedness, headaches, swelling of the legs, hands, feet and ankles, drowsiness, and sensitivity to light.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter