Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone resulting from an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include
- increased heart rate,
- weight loss,
- frequent bowel movements,
- depression, and
- cognitive slowing.
Treatment is by medication, the use of radioactive iodine, thyroid surgery, or reducing the dose of thyroid hormone.Read more: Hyperthyroidism Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Thyroid Problems Explained
Learn about thyroid problems such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, and more. Discover symptoms and treatments...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Thyroid Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Your unexplained change in weight could indicate a thyroid condition. Take the Thyroid Quiz to learn about common symptoms and...
Picture of Graves Disease
Generalized diffuse overactivity ("toxicity") of the entire thyroid gland which becomes enlarged into a goiter. See a picture of...
Picture of Thyroid
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the front of the neck just below the Adams apple. See a picture of the Thyroid...
Related Disease Conditions
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
There are several types of thyroid disorders including hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiters, thyroid nodules, and thyroid...
Sore throats are generally described as pain or discomfort in the throat area. A sore throat may be caused by: bacterial...
Hypothyroidism is any state in which thyroid hormone production is below normal. Normally, the rate of thyroid hormone...
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US. This conditions is caused by inflammation of the...
Vitiligo is a condition in which the skin turns white due to the loss of pigment from the melanocytes, cells that produce the...
Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Night Sweats (Causes, Remedies, and Treatments in Women and Men)
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Thyroid nodules are the most common endocrine problem in the United States. The term "thyroid nodule" refers to any abnormal...
Dizziness is a symptom that is often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Gynecomastia (Enlarged Male Breasts Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments)
Gynecomastia, an enlargement of the gland tissue in the male breast is the caused by an imbalance of hormones. Certain medical...
Dry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
There are four major types of thyroid cancer: papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. Tumors on the...
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid. Some of the symptoms of Graves' disease include hand tremors,...
Abnormal Heart Rhythms (Heart Rhythm Disorders)
Heart rhythm disorders vary from minor palpitations, premature atrial contractions (PACs), premature ventricular contractions...
A heart murmur is the sound generated when blood flow within the heart is not smooth. Causes of heart murmurs can be functional,...
Atrial Fibrillation (AF, AFib)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Thyroiditis is the inflammation of the thyroid gland. The inflamed thyroid gland can release an excess of thyroid hormones into...
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Frostbite (Cold Weather-Related Injuries)
There are two categories to cold weather-related injuries. 1) no freezing of body tissue (trench foot and chilblains), and 2)...
Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms
For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?Post View 49 Comments
Hyperthyroidism - Treatments
What was your treatment for hyperthyroidism?Post View 40 Comments
Hyperthyroidism - Experience
Please share your experience with hyperthyroidism.Post View 2 Comments
Hyperthyroidism - Causes
If known, what was the cause of your hyperthyroidism, and how was it treated?Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Endocrinologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Shaking Hands (Hand Tremors)
- Swollen Eyes
- Mood Swings
- Enlarged Heart
- Nail Separation
- Increased Appetite
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Excessive Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)
- Hot Flashes
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Thyroid FAQs
- Don't Be Afraid to Ask - Dr. Mathur
- Thyroid Storm
- Thyroid Disease Symptoms and Signs
- Goiter Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
- Thyroid: Questions To Ask Your Doctor
- Thyroid and Iodine - Part 2
- Hyperthyroidism...The Heart of the Matter
- Thyroid Disease, Osteoporosis and Calcium
- Hyperthyroidism and Pregnancy
- Thyroid and Aging - Helping to Keep the Golden Years Golden
- Ask the Experts Index
- Ask The Experts - Thyroid
- Thyroid and Iodine - Part 1
- Screening for Thyroid Disease?
- Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy - Tricks of the Trade
Medications & Supplements
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- propylthiouracil - oral
- levothyroxine - oral, Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid
- methimazole - oral, Tapazole
- atenolol, Tenormin
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- methimazole, Tapazole
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- sodium iodide I 131, Iodotope, Sodium Iodide I 131 Therapeutic
Prevention & Wellness
- Should Pregnant Women Always Be Treated for Underactive Thyroid?
- Thyroid Levels in High-Normal Range May Be Linked to Cardiac Arrest
- Overactive Thyroid Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- Even Slightly Overactive Thyroid Linked to Higher Fracture Risk
- Thyroid Trouble May Harm Women's Fertility, Study Finds
- Thyroid Problem Can Lead to Sick Leaves From Work, Study Finds
- Certain Thyroid-Related Diseases May Vary by Race
- Chemicals in Carpets, Cosmetics Tied to Thyroid Problems
- Mild Hyperthyroidism Tied to Higher Death Risk
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Risk for Common Irregular Heartbeat
- Insomnia May Raise Risk of Heart Attack, Stroke
- Mild Hyperthyroidism Won't Raise Heart Risk: Study
- Health Tip: If Your Thyroid is Overactive
- Thyroid Treatment Guidelines for Pregnant Women Revised
- FDA Approves Diet Drug Qsymia
- Thyroid Condition Linked to Heart Problems: Study
- CT Scan Dye Containing Iodine May Affect Thyroid
- Health Tip: Physical Problems May Cause Insomnia
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter