Hypertensive kidney disease refers to damage to the kidneys caused by chronic, or long-term, high blood pressure (hypertension). High blood pressure is one of the main causes of kidney failure. Most people with high blood pressure do not have symptoms. Like high blood pressure, early kidney disease often does not produce symptoms.
In later stages, hypertensive kidney disease leads to the characteristic signs and symptoms of kidney dysfunction and sometimes, kidney failure. Associated symptoms and signs can include
- worsening blood pressure,
- decrease in amount of urine or difficulty urinating,
- edema (fluid retention) that is most pronounced in the lower legs, and
- a need to urinate more often, especially at night.
Keeping blood pressure under control with lifestyle modifications and medications can help prevent kidney disease.
Causes of Hypertensive Kidney Disease
Long-term high blood pressure causes hypertensive kidney disease.
Other hypertensive kidney disease symptoms and signs
- Decrease in Amount of Urine or Difficulty Urinating
- Edema (Fluid Retention) That Is Most Pronounced in the Lower Legs
- Needing to Urinate More Often, Especially at Night
- Worsening Blood Pressure
Main Article on Hypertensive Kidney Disease Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Hypertension: What High Blood Pressure Can Do to Your Body
High blood pressure puts you at risk for a number of other conditions. Here's what to look out for.
Hypertension: Worst Foods for High Blood Pressure
Diagnosed with high blood pressure or trying to avoid it? Stay away from these foods.
What Is High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)? Symptoms, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? What is normal blood pressure? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood...
Examples of Medications for Hypertensive Kidney Disease Symptoms and Signs
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- ACE Inhibitors vs. ARBs
- ACE Inhibitors vs. Beta Blockers
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- Beta Blockers vs. ARBs
- Beta Blockers vs. Calcium Channel Blockers
- beta-blockers w/thiazide diuretics-oral
- Calcium Channel Blockers vs. ACE Inhibitors
- Thiazides (Diuretics)
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter