Patient Comments: Hyperkalemia - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your hyperkalemia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had muscle weakness, and was out of breath walking across the apartment. I was taking Dyazide diuretic, and the doctor had me taking too much potassium supplement to correct what was lost through diuretic. The doctor had me go back to original dose of potassium and I was okay. Some people are very sensitive to elevated potassium and develop symptoms of hyperkalemia when it is even a little too high. I thought I was having a heart attack! But no, I was okay after a few days of decreased potassium supplement.

Comment from: jb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had 3 blood tests in the last 2 months. Potassium blood levels are high. I am fearful. I have read all about hyperkalemia. What I cannot find is a diet plan, a list of foods I can eat, only what I cannot have! I also have high cholesterol, so the foods I can eat for good cholesterol are high in potassium. My doctor does not want to add any more drugs to my am and pm cocktails of medicines.

Comment from: vilaskotekar, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 17

My brother is suffering from cirrhosis of the liver, portal hypertension, and ascites. He is taking Ursomax and Aldactone. Now he is taking Indian Noni Gold juice. I don't know whether this improves his health condition or causes side effects. It is supposed to increase potassium levels in the body.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter